The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,551
    ridiculous question...was the stanely cup finals not broadcast nationally back then? why was this game on prism?

and for the record--prism was awesome.

I'm really not sure - in '88 Finals were on ESPN (we were able to get cable in the interim). Remember the Boston Garden blackout? But all the '87 Finals games were on local TV in Philly. And when they replay those games on ESPN Classic it's the Flyers' announcers and all.

I thought it was crazy that the Flyers managed to get Kate Smith's God Bless America played before Game 7 IN Edmonton. Or am I crazy for misremembering this? (thanks for that word Rocket :lol: )

We had Prism off and on - when my dad got sick of paying for it we lost it, and when he got sick of my whining we got it back. :lol: Then S & SW Philly got the cable chips and we had every channel. :D

my dad had that magical "black box" so we always had prism.

kind of crazy to think back then people had to pay so much extra just to be able to watch all the home games for sixers, flyers and phils (except the weekend afternoon games which were on phl17 or channel 29 :lol: )
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Watched the replay of the '87 game

Couple of observations

1)The Boards with No Ads..so used to seeing them with ads

2)All the non-calls that are calls today..Interference,holding..stuff let go after the whistle

3)How well EDM played defensively even though they were a high flying offensive team

4)The Flyers looked tired

5)How good Gene Hart and Bobby Taylor were at calling a game :(

Bobby Taylor still around he does games for the Lightning
    Gene Hart had one of his heartattacks when Hextall coughed it up to Messier with 10 seconds left, and just barely got back to the net to save it.

I had forgotten about :lol:

other observations. very few jerseys worn by fans, unlike today where every smuck has to have one. also the goalie pads and player shoulder pads were ridiculously small.

jaegs as for tv i think they were on espn as well but blacked out locally so local channels could do the games.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Philly sure looks nice, what with the green grass and the trees in full leaf.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Uhg...seems like the flyers had the better chances and generally controlled the puck.

Flyers offense is in heibernation right now
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    81 wrote:
    Uhg...seems like the flyers had the better chances and generally controlled the puck.

I didn't see the game, but they did have 40 shots on goal. Maybe Quick was just a tad bit better today?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    81 wrote:

I didn't see the game, but they did have 40 shots on goal. Maybe Quick was just a tad bit better today?

not a lot of juicy rebounds. la did a nice job clogging up the center lane and not letting the flyers come down the middle of the ice for shots or rebounds. still, seemed like the flyers controlled the game. hit a post and had a few closes ones, but quick made all hte saves. he played a solid game.

seems the last few games, flyers have been coming up short, even when getting sustained pressure.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • It was kind of an unlucky game - some hit posts, bad bounces, etc.

That doofus Sheridan in the Inqy was making a BFD out of it. Hey Phil, why don't you try doing some actual reporting for once?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,977
    Ver. Steeg.
  • Ver. Steeg.

Damn Jp you're on it !

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353885

Homer trades away draft picks like they're dirty tissues :roll:

I'm hearing a 1st and 3rd
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    first and a thrid in this years draft.

might be a little steep for him, but what are they going to get in with those selections in the draft????

i'm in.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Fucking go for it is right. I want more than one parade down Broad Street this year.
  • I'm not saying don't go for it but Versteeg isn't worth a 1st rd pick imo

He's not a guy that pushes you over the top

They wanted JVR so thankfully Homer used his head on that

I'm not saying don't go for it but Versteeg isn't worth a 1st rd pick imo

I don't care what sports you're playing, draft picks are draft picks. Plus, I'm thinking that this is a move for when they know they have to let someone else go down the line.
  • I'm not saying don't go for it but Versteeg isn't worth a 1st rd pick imo

I don't care what sports you're playing, draft picks are draft picks. Plus, I'm thinking that this is a move for when they know they have to let someone else go down the line.

The only other move I could see would be Zherdev for a pick... if anyone would take him

Sounds like he'll be on Richies line.. should be a good fit

not many super stars come out of the last first round, not that this guy is a super star, but unless you thought you could get somebody better from anouther team with those picks, not a bad trade. with hte picks, you end up with a couple of players down in the minors for the next 2-3 years before they make a contribution, if they ever make it.

if i can get value for them, i'd trade the next 10 years worth of picks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I actually think this is a good pick-up for the Flyers. Versteg played with the black hawks last year and has cup experience. So if he does play with Richards who gets dropped from that line?
    What's the word on Leino? I read they were having issues getting a contract done. :?

so how comes out of the lineup tonight? My guess is Carcillo since he is a lousy skater, and has rocks for hands (and brains). Why did they trade for him in teh first place. :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fife wrote:
    I actually think this is a good pick-up for the Flyers. Versteg played with the black hawks last year and has cup experience. So if he does play with Richards who gets dropped from that line?

I don't mind the pick up either he's a nice player to add

I would say Car-Bomb is benched

I just read they Flyers haven't had a 1st round pick since 2008 :?

• 81 wrote:
    What's the word on Leino? I read they were having issues getting a contract done. :?

so how comes out of the lineup tonight? My guess is Carcillo since he is a lousy skater, and has rocks for hands (and brains). Why did they trade for him in teh first place. :?:

I heard they had the structure of the deal done as far as how many years was the hang up

boosh starts tonight...versteeg in the lineup

The Carcillo trade was to break up the frat boys..Carter-Richads-Upshall

that's right....forgot about the party stuff.

it'll be interesting to see how he plays without any practice in the system. could be a good thing for which ever line he ends up on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I like the versteeg trade. Their first round pick is gonna be 28-30 anyway. Tough to find an impact player there. They are going for it all this year (and not really risking much for the future)...I think it's the right thing to do. Plus versteeg will be here next year as well.

Just ordered the NHL package. I'll be watching tonight without HD...like going back to the 1990's. Not good times. HD has helped hockey more than any other sport...by far I think.
    Welcome to the season. Love me some center ice. Dislike the late start...well half hour later than normal
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Was that jvr's first fight
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,685
    As a Leaf fan, I think you guys got a good player in Versteeg. I was hoping they weren't good to trade him (we don't have the option of many good players to trade) and keep him around for a awhile. Didn't see much of him last year except for the playoffs, which he played pretty good. I think he has some decent hands, he is small but will go in the corners to get the puck.
    Congrats on the trade. So we get your first round pick this yr, I'm thinking big deal, so we pick 30th :(
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    Pretty cool with all the Flyer fans in the stands.
  • 81 wrote:
    Was that jvr's first fight
    Indeed it was... ironic against a former FLYER

The new breakout is an interesting twist
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Pretty cool with all the Flyer fans in the stands.
    Yeah... how sweet be down there for Spring Training and catch the Flyguys

• 81 wrote:

Nice to see the Flyers try something different after 15 years of frustration against neutral zone traps. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 81 wrote:

Nice to see the Flyers try something different after 15 years of frustration against neutral zone traps. :roll:
    I thought the trap was dead?

The Devils of the 90's are back!