The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    matt walker, peace out. thanks for your 4 game contribution.

let me put a little fixer on that :mrgreen:

we hardly knew ya. sort of funny that one guy was talking about trading him for madden on philly.com

thanks...check this shit out. I think holmgren has a hard on for iginla. oh shizzle

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- It's just over a month until NHL's trade deadline day, and all signs point to the Philadelphia Flyers being buyers, once again.
    The Flyers were one of the teams' hot on the trail of New Jersey Devils forward Jamie Langenbrunner. Yes, those same Flyers that I wrote a couple days prior were strapped for spending money by the salary cap.

What gives?

Since the news, Philadelphia put themselves under the salary cap ceiling of $59.4-million after demoting Michael Leighton ($1.55-million/$8,333 daily) to the AHL. Also, with forward Ian Laperriere on long term injury reserve, the team still has an option of LTIR allowance money to spend.
    As it currently stands, with the roster as is, the Flyers have $394,063 in actual salary cap and could acquire a max cap-hit of $1,959,406, with the LTIR factored into the total – if they max out their long term injury reserve allowance: $821,686 and a highest max cap-hit.

If the Flyers choose to demote defensemen Matt Walker ($1.7-million/$9,140 daily and/or Oskars Bartulis ($600k/$3,226 daily) the Flyers could put themselves in position to take on even more salary at the trade deadline.

If the Flyers feel a move is in order, they have the pieces to clear to make the salary cap work – while keeping a healthy 20-man roster together. Obviously, if the Flyers feel the need to make a deal that involves a roster player from their current roster, they could afford to take on more money.

So what does this all mean?

Do the Flyers think an upgrade is needed between the pipes? They could. The Flyers were rumored to be in on Evgeny Nabokov, Marty Turco and Tim Thomas this summer, so they may feel like there is still a need – but for what's out there around deadline, no deal for a goaltender makes a lot of sense right now – a forward makes more.

The effort to land Langenbrunner tells me one thing. General Manager Paul Holmgren wants to upgrade his team.

Let the games begin.

I'm hearing Erik Cole from Carolina
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    matt walker, peace out. thanks for your 4 game contribution.

let me put a little fixer on that :mrgreen:

we hardly knew ya. sort of funny that one guy was talking about trading him for madden on philly.com

thanks...check this shit out. I think holmgren has a hard on for iginla. oh shizzle

Let the games begin.

i can't see it happening. Walker was nothing but a cap saving space move. he doesn't want to be in the minors and he's not going to crack the Flyers rotation again, barring injury. Him or Bartulis at the 7th D man is pretty much a coin flip.

he mentions goalies, but i don't see them in the goalie market now, not unless they could land a true stud, but how many are out there, or even available and detroit is going to bid that market up (i would assume). hell, maybe they can trade leighton to the wings for anouther leino. it is already a great deal, and if ville continues to progress it could be a top 5 all time deal.

i just don't see how you can fit Jarome under the cap without moving some bigger dollars. dude is making 7M per season, and he's no spring chicken. i'd just don't see it happening
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Let the games begin.

i can't see it happening. Walker was nothing but a cap saving space move. he doesn't want to be in the minors and he's not going to crack the Flyers rotation again, barring injury. Him or Bartulis at the 7th D man is pretty much a coin flip.

he mentions goalies, but i don't see them in the goalie market now, not unless they could land a true stud, but how many are out there, or even available and detroit is going to bid that market up (i would assume). hell, maybe they can trade leighton to the wings for anouther leino. it is already a great deal, and if ville continues to progress it could be a top 5 all time deal.

i just don't see how you can fit Jarome under the cap without moving some bigger dollars. dude is making 7M per season, and he's no spring chicken. i'd just don't see it happening

Dude, walker is gone. he got cut. they have like 4-5 mill in cap space right now. they can afford iginla financially...just a matter of whether they want to pay the price in a trade.

I think homer is gonna try to make this happen. there have been iginla rumors for the past couple of years. usually the flyers are good at getting their guy when they have this type of interest
    i was looking at cap numbers last night. even with walker gone, i don't see how they fit him. might be able to squeeze his prorated salary under the cap this year, but what about the next couple of years at 7M. not gonna fit unless you move some big dollars. plus, he's be pretty darn old at the end of that contract. if it was an expiring contract, sure, make the deal, but with two more years, i'd pass.

and even if they could fit him, they still need to sign leino unless they plan on trading him. imo, they should be looking for expiring contracts of solid veterans to play wing, unless of course, you can get a cheap up and coming guy, but they rarely move.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i was looking at cap numbers last night. even with walker gone, i don't see how they fit him. might be able to squeeze his prorated salary under the cap this year, but what about the next couple of years at 7M. not gonna fit unless you move some big dollars. plus, he's be pretty darn old at the end of that contract. if it was an expiring contract, sure, make the deal, but with two more years, i'd pass.

and even if they could fit him, they still need to sign leino unless they plan on trading him. imo, they should be looking for expiring contracts of solid veterans to play wing, unless of course, you can get a cheap up and coming guy, but they rarely move.

how many years does iginla have left? you're right, they probably would have to trade someone to make some room. cough, hartnell, cough.

I read a week or so ago that leino's agent expects a deal to get done.

I really wish they locked giroux up for more than 3 years. He might be their best forward (I'm partial to richards because I'm in love with him)
    i belive it's two more at $7M per season.

i'd much rather have a young and coming Leino over an end of career guy.

anouther scoring winger would be a nice replacement for carcillo or shelly or maybe powe or even hartnell (as some woudl have). but with the way they can roll three solid scoring lines, it not imperative. if they can pick up a solid player for cheap, great, but there is no need to over pay.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i belive it's two more at $7M per season.

i'd much rather have a young and coming Leino over an end of career guy.

anouther scoring winger would be a nice replacement for carcillo or shelly or maybe powe or even hartnell (as some woudl have). but with the way they can roll three solid scoring lines, it not imperative. if they can pick up a solid player for cheap, great, but there is no need to over pay.

shelly has been better than I expected. he doesn't hurt them when he's on the ice. smart player.

this was in the paper today. they could trade someone for iginla and still sign leino

The Flyers waived defenseman Matt Walker yesterday, possibly clearing salary-cap space for a trade before the Feb. 28 deadline.

Walker's $1.7 million salary - which extends through 2012-13 - is eligible to come off the Flyers' salary cap today at noon. That would give the Flyers close to $3.6 million in acquisition space.
    http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=24

good stuff

i come up with about 2.6M (not sure how the paper calculated it, maybe bonus stuff) of space now that walker is gone and Jarome has $2.7 remaining. i'm sure by the end of the month, it would line up, plus there would be more savings if they included a current roster player.

looking towards next year, i just don't see how they can absorb that $7M without moving somebody.

Ville has to be signed, and JVR will be coming up as well. assuming jvr keeps progressing, he'll want some money.

time and people smarter than me will tell. :lol:

i agree about shelley, he has played well. i thought he was just going to goon it up like a brashier
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

good stuff

i come up with about 2.6M (not sure how the paper calculated it, maybe bonus stuff) of space now that walker is gone and Jarome has $2.7 remaining. i'm sure by the end of the month, it would line up, plus there would be more savings if they included a current roster player.

looking towards next year, i just don't see how they can absorb that $7M without moving somebody.

Ville has to be signed, and JVR will be coming up as well. assuming jvr keeps progressing, he'll want some money.

i agree about shelley, he has played well. i thought he was just going to goon it up like a brashier

looks like laperriere is included in that figure on the site.

eh, who knows? like you said, time and smarter people than us will tell
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

good stuff

looks like laperriere is included in that figure on the site.

eh, who knows? like you said, time and smarter people than us will tell

maybe he is the other million between the paper and me since he is on IR.

either way, looking forward to the draft tonight. that will be fun to watch
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just because i found this funny and it is Philly related.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=351628

now lets get ready for the last 40 games and the playoffs.

GO FLYERS GO
    it's been a rough few days without any good sports to watch.

bring on tuesday night already.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Here we go - Flyers-Bolts! Let's avenge that crazy, what was it, 8-7 game?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Here we go - Flyers-Bolts! Let's avenge that crazy, what was it, 8-7 game?

8-7....that sounds about right. i was trying to forget it. :x

either that game or the five oh pounding at the hands fo the rats (panthers) was the worst loss of the season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Here we go - Flyers-Bolts! Let's avenge that crazy, what was it, 8-7 game?

8-7....that sounds about right. i was trying to forget it. :x

either that game or the five oh pounding at the hands fo the rats (panthers) was the worst loss of the season.

I'd say the 8-7 game. The Rats game was an obvious aberration.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Uhhhh
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,811
    81 wrote:
    Uhhhh

u can say that again :roll: Bob looked bad
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Odd bounce on that second goal. Team looked a little flat.

A bad loss at this stage of the season isnt a terrible thing if it gets them refocused
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,811
    81 wrote:
    Odd bounce on that second goal. Team looked a little flat.

A bad loss at this stage of the season isnt a terrible thing if it gets them refocused

i blame the all star game and layoff on this loss
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    From what i saw from this game was that philly looked bad. the lighting are a good team. we play Nashville next and hopefully the flyers get their feet back.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,548
    so mike richards was in attendance at philadelphia's premier college basketball program tonight ;) ....dude wore a yankees cap. :?

what's up with that?
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,975
    so mike richards was in attendance at philadelphia's premier college basketball program tonight ;) ....dude wore a yankees cap. :?

what's up with that?

Dude wore it during the Flyers Carnival too - or whatever it is they had. Dude's a complete toolbag. I'm ashamed he wears a PJ shirt. Awesome player, just a douche.
  • so mike richards was in attendance at philadelphia's premier college basketball program tonight ;) ....dude wore a yankees cap. :?

what's up with that?

Dude wore it during the Flyers Carnival too - or whatever it is they had. Dude's a complete toolbag. I'm ashamed he wears a PJ shirt. Awesome player, just a douche.

He's from New...oh wait a minute !!!

Totally not acceptable

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,548

what's up with that?

He's from New...oh wait a minute !!!

Totally not acceptable

so the captain's a fraud?
    www.myspace.com
  • so the captain's a fraud?

By all accounts it sounds like it

:lol:

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dipi got knocked out tonight :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • dipi got knocked out tonight :lol:

One Punch !

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/101801

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dipi got knocked out tonight :lol:

One Punch !

:lol::lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • dipi got knocked out tonight :lol:

One Punch !

What a beatdown. The left hook. :shock:

Kind of like the beatdown Pearl Jam put on my wallet yesterday. :lol:

Kind of like the beatdown Pearl Jam put on my wallet yesterday. :lol:

Tickets went on sale?

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg