Options

Columbia, SC Pre-party

tdubtdub Posts: 226
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Location: Flying Saucer, 931 Senate Street, Columbia, SC 29201 http://www.beerknurd.com/
Time: 3PM til showtime

WE NEED MORE DONATIONS FOR THE RAFFLE!! Anything -vinyls, merchandise, posters, signed stuff, etc. See listed of items donated below.

Guest List:
tdub (+3)
encompassing trip (+4)
Dont Know Myself
yefa
Insidejob92
itsmyblood248
NCIrie (+1)
pjsyco (+6)
bama jam (+1)
SpinMeRoundRollMeOvr
pjammer 35
frogwater (+2)
Drew265 (+1)
pandora (+1)
Hail Hail PJ (+2)
Blind3
mamasan (+8)
McJuicy
tastybrew (+1)
godukebeatthem
AtlantaJammer (+3)
Jamonit
R-Dub81 (+1)
hailhailwv(+1)
Big Ed (+1)
jamfanj (+1)
tybird (+1)
faithful227 (+6)
stateesha (+5)
?ing my education
Brain of L
skere26
Brain of Dz
pathorses (+1)
inmytree
Dr J
porchsitter4294
iisee (+1)
alluneedislove (+1)
cathrind31 (+2)
Leathermandi
Capstoner
mindi (+1)
releeseme
porchsitter (+1)
King47 (+1)
lug nut (+1)
no1fromnowhere (+2)
LordGoofy (+1)
soulshine (+3)
romajo (+1)
PJ GA (+1)
macjoey (+5)
pjfan1974 (+1)

128 total - if i can still add :)

Mindi has stepped up to help organize this thing as a fundraiser. If anyone can help, she could use a volunteer or two.

If you are interested in donating items for raffle, please PM myself or mindi. We need more items!! So far the donation list looks like this:

Place/Date book - signed by Mike McCready (donated by Blind3)
500 GB Harddrive with 2000-2006 boots, demos, and other files (donated by leadbedr)
Matted/Framed Vegas 2006 Poster (donated by tdub)
"rare" Live at the Fox 2CD set (1994 show) - Italian release (donated by Big Ed)
Vitalogy LP (donated by pjsyco)
Lolla Poster (donated by pjsyco)
Variety of PJ t-shirts, bootlegs, buttons, etc (donated by lug nut)
PJ Bandwagon Cap with buttons/pins (donated by BigEd)
3 disc Seattle, Wash original band release 2000 Boot (donated by Im Still Here)
Atlanta/Charlotte/Mookie Compilation DVD set (donated by LukinFan)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    There is a Flying Saucer right there also that has an outdoor deck. I'll go wherever you go. Nice job stepping up.

http://www.beerknurd.com/contact.php
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    Driving up from Atlanta. Would love to join everybody if I could get up there early enough.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    tdub wrote:
    The arena is the largest indoor arena in the Carolinas I believe and looks pretty nice.
    I'm pretty sure that the RBC Center in Raleigh seats more than the Colonial Center. I know it seats for basketball games, and would assume the same for concerts.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    There is a Flying Saucer right there also that has an outdoor deck. I'll go wherever you go. Nice job stepping up.

http://www.beerknurd.com/contact.php

The Flying Saucer would be my choice because of the beer selection and the fact it is also within walking distance of the venue. Would they be okay with playing Pearl Jam audio or video before the show if we go there?
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Count me in. I also have a 3-4 hour drive from Asheville, but will be able to leave early Monday morning to Columbia. Can't wait!!!!
  • Options
    Alright - so two options now: Flying Saucer or Liberty. For those of you that have never been, Liberty also has a great beer selection and has a microbrewery.

But I'm the same - don't care where it's at. I just want a cool environment to hang out before the show. It always gets me amped up if PJ is blasting in the background while getting to chat with fellow jammers. I'm from Chattanooga and die-hard PJ fans are few and far between.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Way to step up. Count me in, should be arriving Sunday nite or early Monday morning. Would love to hang out before the concert.
    "There's alot to be said for nowhere"
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Would love to be a part of this depending upon what time we leave Charlotte.

Columbia is such a cool little college town.

Looking forward to a great time.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    tdub wrote:
    Since no one is stepping up to the plate to organize an 'official' pre-party, I am starting this thread to organize jammers who want to get together for drinks before the show.

I would volunteer to organize an official fund-raising pre-party, but I am 4 hrs away, not to mention I'll be in meetings the day of the show until at least 3PM - I have a client in SC so I've been fortunate to organize a business trip out of this = )

I'm quite familiar with the area around the Colonial Center - Gervais Street is about 2 blocks away and has a ton of options. My suggestion is the Liberty Tap Room and Grill. ( http://www.libertytaproom.com ) It has a huge bar area and is within a couple blocks from the arena - an easy 5 minute walk roughly. I have other ideas, but would not mind calling Liberty to get the ball rolling - see if they would mind a large group taking over the bar area and of course, if they'll blast some PJ for a few hours. Maybe put Immagine in Cornice or Live at the Garden on the flat screens. If they don't want the business, I have two or three other ideas.

Before I jump on it, I want to get a feel for how many people might be interested in coming out. Please respond (and bump) this thread so that I can check back over the course of the next couple of days.

Once everything is finalized, I'll post a thread to inform everyone of the details.

And for those of you that chose not to come see the Columbia, SC show - you are missing out. The arena is the largest indoor arena in the Carolinas I believe and looks pretty nice. The area of downtown the arena is at is really cool - right outside of USC's campus and in the major social area of downtown. Really cool spot.

Count me in with about six other people. Liberty, Flying Saucer, doesn't matter to us. Thanks!
  • Options
    sweet - looks like decent interest so far. keep the replies coming and i'll tally up how many we think are coming, so i can notify management to ensure they can accomodate.

many thx
  • Options
    alabamaalabama Posts: 101
    I'd like to come! Bringing a friend with me, and neither of us have ever been to Columbia, so we just wanna hang out wherever the other cool PJ fans are hanging out! :)
  • Options
    I'm in.
  • Options
    count me in. driving up from right outside atlanta.
  • Options
    looks like we'll have at least 20 so far counting my crew. I'll continue to bump this thread til monday and try to make a call or two then.

Anyone from Columbia (or familiar with the city) have any suggestions on location other than Liberty Tap Room or Flying Saucer?
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    These two places are ideal no reason to look elsewhere. There is an old Train Depot in this area where Starbucks is located. Across the street is Liberty and around the corner is Flying Saucer. These are the 2 closest bars to the Colonial Center. Flying Saucer has more of a "come as you are" atmosphere. Liberty seems to be a little more formal. There are other places but these two are more likely to embrace the event.

The Saucer has been contacted and anticipating a post from them on this board.
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    tdub wrote:
    I'm from Chattanooga and die-hard PJ fans are few and far between.
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    These two places are ideal no reason to look elsewhere. There is an old Train Depot in this area where Starbucks is located. Across the street is Liberty and around the corner is Flying Saucer. These are the 2 closest bars to the Colonial Center. Flying Saucer has more of a "come as you are" atmosphere. Liberty seems to be a little more formal. There are other places but these two are more likely to embrace the event.

Sounds like the Saucer would be the ideal spot. Bringing g/f..we're in for whatever.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'll be coming from atlanta. Meeting some friends who live there and if we can it is our plan to tailgate in the parking lot for the pre party.

I'll keep my eye out for the post party though i'd be up for meeting up at some bars then.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Count 2 more in coming from Atlanta Sunday
  • Options

little lost - what do you mean? you contact them already?
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    same here, lived here my whole life! cant wait to make the drive for this show.

big chattavegas!! i actually love the 'nooga - work downtown, but live out in collegedale.
  • Options
    Count me in as well. I'll be coming with at least 2 others from Charlotte. The Flying Saucer here is great and we were planning to go there anyway along with Wild Wing.
    "Hail, Hail the lucky ones...I refer to those in love"
    Mansfield, MA 9/16/98, 8/29/00
    Charlotte, NC 4/16/03, 10/30/13 (10th Show!!)
    Atlanta, GA 4/19/03, 9/22/12
    Asheville, NC 10/6/04
    Columbia, SC 6/16/08, 4/21/16
    Alpine Valley, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Greenville, SC 4/16/16
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Where ever it is , count me in! Pennsylvania , SOUTHERN Pennsylvania , in the house!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    mamasanmamasan Posts: 25
    i'll be there... and there will be 6-8 of us.
    charlotte 4.16.2003, atlanta 4.19.2003, wash dc 7.01.2003
    hershey 7.12.2003, toledo 10.02.2004, asheville 10.06.2004
    kissimmee 10.08.2004, wash dc 5.30.2006, lolla 8.05.2007
    west palm beach 6.11.2008, tampa 6.12.2008, columbia 6.16.2008
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    tdub wrote:
    big chattavegas!! i actually love the 'nooga - work downtown, but live out in collegedale.

• Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    i'm there
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    Right on... My wife and I will be there. (just moved to Charlotte from San Diego) What time's this pre-party kickin' off?
  • Options
    tastybrew wrote:
    Right on... My wife and I will be there. (just moved to Charlotte from San Diego) What time's this pre-party kickin' off?

Good question - I'll let everyone chime in, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 PM? The show starts at 7:30, I think. And I'd like to get to the arena a few mins before doors open to get merchandise, posters, etc - which I assume will be seven.