Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    Hey, I totally agree that our team is a lot different….esp. on the back end. I wouldn't be overly sad to see Roy go, but if it comes down to Gilbert/Smid outplaying tarnstrom or Grebs…that could put management in a tough spot for sure. I still think they will move one of the bigger names as the season progresses and our needs become more clear.
    The enforcer thing - Staios, Greene, Souray, Moreau are all tough and don't back down…but I really don't want to see any of those guys fighting Boogard. But if no one does, he's going to be head hunting again all year….which scares me considering 1/10th of our games are against them. How many of our players did he single-handedly put on the shelf last year? Gawd he's a killer. 5 minutes per game of mass destruction….

...and damn it would be nice to have a calder contender.

We have never won the Calder.....beats me how Gretzky didn't get it....yeah Boogard is an Oiler destruction machine....I would expect out the bunch that Souray would teach him a lesson...also do not forget about Penner....he is tough and big....

I want to touch on Dustin Penner for a second...already he is being called over-paid but last Dan Tencer (who shares my thoughts on him) said it best that we can not expect him to score 40 goals this year BUT expect him to allow for the centre (Gagner/Cogliano/Horcoff...who ever gets it) and Hemsky to get a lot more points because of him....he creates space, he attracts penatlies (three last night) due to his size, he hits (was second behind Greene last night for hits and had more than any Flames player), can block the goalie so good on the PP...he brings another element to our team that cannot be justified through point totals.....
  • Options
    We have never won the Calder.....beats me how Gretzky didn't get it....yeah Boogard is an Oiler destruction machine....I would expect out the bunch that Souray would teach him a lesson...also do not forget about Penner....he is tough and big....

I want to touch on Dustin Penner for a second...already he is being called over-paid but last Dan Tencer (who shares my thoughts on him) said it best that we can not expect him to score 40 goals this year BUT expect him to allow for the centre (Gagner/Cogliano/Horcoff...who ever gets it) and Hemsky to get a lot more points because of him....he creates space, he attracts penatlies (three last night) due to his size, he hits (was second behind Greene last night for hits and had more than any Flames player), can block the goalie so good on the PP...he brings another element to our team that cannot be justified through point totals.....

I think that's exactly why we brought Penner in (for this year anyway)....

And Gretz wasn't eligible for the calder 'cause he played in the WHA before his NHL rookie year....not sure how it works (what's the dif between that and playing AHL for a year or two before your NHL debut? they're both pro leagues....), but I'm positive that was the ruling.
  • Options
    I think that's exactly why we brought Penner in (for this year anyway)....

And Gretz wasn't eligible for the calder 'cause he played in the WHA before his NHL rookie year....not sure how it works (what's the dif between that and playing AHL for a year or two before your NHL debut? they're both pro leagues....), but I'm positive that was the ruling.

Okay that makes sense to me now.....Penner will get better as we go on...he had a very short off-season and is adjusting to a new team.....I like his addition over Smyth (who I love) at 5 yrs for $6.25M/year (may be worth for two years but WAY over-paid for a guy going beyond 35).

That is how I justify paying Penner $4.5M/year for 5 over the Smyth contract....we have a guy going into his prime and lost a guy who I honestly believe has plateued (but brings that important intangible aspect to your team)...Penner to me is a souped up younger version of Smyth who will get better through-out the contract.
  • Options
    Okay that makes sense to me now......
    I'm all happy that I knew something you didn't :D....you know your shit, bro :)
    Penner will get better as we go on...he had a very short off-season and is adjusting to a new team.....I like his addition over Smyth (who I love) at 5 yrs for $6.25M/year (may be worth for two years but WAY over-paid for a guy going beyond 35).

That is how I justify paying Penner $4.5M/year for 5 over the Smyth contract....we have a guy going into his prime and lost a guy who I honestly believe has plateued (but brings that important intangible aspect to your team)...Penner to me is a souped up younger version of Smyth who will get better through-out the contract.

Totally agree.....if Penner keeps improving offense-wise, and can show even a sliver of Smyth's heart, I think within a year or two he's a bargain for 2 mil less than Smytty. That said....the fact that we still have some cap space makes it a shame we couldn't have them both right now.
  • Options
    I'm all happy that I knew something you didn't :D....you know your shit, bro :)

Totally agree.....if Penner keeps improving offense-wise, and can show even a sliver of Smyth's heart, I think within a year or two he's a bargain for 2 mil less than Smytty. That said....the fact that we still have some cap space makes it a shame we couldn't have them both right now.

Thanks buddy I will take that as a compliment :).

Yeah the only thing that worries me is can Penner deal with the pressure (I think he can seems like a really smart kid) if the Oil faithful start pointing fingers at him. But it seems in Oil Country right now that people are expeceting what you and I are discussing which is good. It really seems Hemsky enjoys him on the line and he has already discussed how much more room he is getting in the oppostion zone.

So who do think is going centre Penner and Hemsky?
  • Options
    Thanks buddy I will take that as a compliment :).

Yeah the only thing that worries me is can Penner deal with the pressure (I think he can seems like a really smart kid) if the Oil faithful start pointing fingers at him. But it seems in Oil Country right now that people are expeceting what you and I are discussing which is good. It really seems Hemsky enjoys him on the line and he has already discussed how much more room he is getting in the oppostion zone.

So who do think is going centre Penner and Hemsky?

To be honest, I have no idea…I haven't seen any of the games, barely even any highlights…..obviously, I would LOVE to see Cogliano there, cause that would mean his stellar play is continuing…..Horcoff on the second or third line is a GOOD thing for us…like you've mentioned, he's not really a first line guy. Aside from the desperate need for a puck-moving D man last year, a 40-50 goal guy has been the most glaringly missing piece of the puzzle for……chrissake….decades. If we can get a natural goal scorer playing with Hemsky, with Penner opening up the ice, we will have a legit first line for the first time in YEARS.

And I think you're right about Penner...I think if he scores 20-25 this year, people will leave him alone to develop with the understanding that he brings more to the table than goal scoring...I hope he can reach that mark....
  • Options
    To be honest, I have no idea…I haven't seen any of the games, barely even any highlights…..obviously, I would LOVE to see Cogliano there, cause that would mean his stellar play is continuing…..Horcoff on the second or third line is a GOOD thing for us…like you've mentioned, he's not really a first line guy. Aside from the desperate need for a puck-moving D man last year, a 40-50 goal guy has been the most glaringly missing piece of the puzzle for……chrissake….decades. If we can get a natural goal scorer playing with Hemsky, with Penner opening up the ice, we will have a legit first line for the first time in YEARS.

And I think you're right about Penner...I think if he scores 20-25 this year, people will leave him alone to develop with the understanding that he brings more to the table than goal scoring...I hope he can reach that mark....

From the comments that MacT said yesterday it seems there are a number of scenerios....he is saying that Cogliano could be a first line guy with Horc's centering the third line...because it is already set in stone that the second line is Torres/Stoll/Nilsson (they have looked crazy good) but Horc would still get top line minutes as he would be the choice for centering the # 1 PP unit (due to his face-off abilities) and also # 1 PK unit.

This also allows MacT to swap the two on 5 on 5 action....the wild card though is Gagner and he could potentially take that role as well...which leaves either Cogliano as a 4th line guy and honestly he will not be placed on the 4th line.....its very interesting right now....post game comment from last night Hemsky said what he loves about Cogliano is hsi incredible speed and ability to crash the net....says he likes playing with that type of guy......

Right now I am unsure about the role of Gagner from my friends who have seen him live in the pre-season they say that skill wise he is far and beyond ready but lacks a little physically. Although does sending him to the OHL develop anything more from???? He has already excelled down there so his physical game really has no room to improve and he is in the top 1% skill-wise down there, considering his skill is already NHL calibre. Therefore there is no real room for development.

The flip-side is do you let him play more than nine games (which makes him a professional at 18 and therefore a UFA at 25....the flip-side is send him down after nine games and he becomes a professional at 19 and UFA at 26). If we sign him after nine where do we play him, Cogliano, Stoll (although he is locked for the 2nd line) and Horcoff????? Cog's/Gagner are too skilled to play the 4th line now we have Horcoff down to 4th????? It gets really confusing and positively frustrating at what the prospects are bringing to the table. As I have said though....these are problems every coach and GM would love to have and something we had NONE of last year......
  • Options
    Wow…that is a great problem….maybe Gagne will end up on the farm? I know he'd still be an UFA early…but at least he'd be playing against lifers instead of kids? Hmmmm….how does this factor with our contract limit tho? Don't we only have two more contracts before we hit the limit?

I know you'll hate this cause you love Stoll….but maybe we package a Stoll/Staios, or one of the big D and a forward for a marquee guy like LeCavalier or something? Totally talkin out my ass, I dont know if the Lightning are still in cap trouble or what....and I guess we'd still have the issue at centre…but having a bona-fide first line superstar would at least stop the first line debate. Who knows, man…will be interesting to watch it unfold tho.

I like the sounds of Horc on line 3 getting first line minutes tho….man that is versatility we havent' seen in a while. But again, we're depending on two unproven guys for this to work. If they don't pan out consistently, we are weak down the middle again.
  • Options
    Wow…that is a great problem….maybe Gagne will end up on the farm? I know he'd still be an UFA early…but at least he'd be playing against lifers instead of kids? Hmmmm….how does this factor with our contract limit tho? Don't we only have two more contracts before we hit the limit?

I know you'll hate this cause you love Stoll….but maybe we package a Stoll/Staios, or one of the big D and a forward for a marquee guy like LeCavalier or something? Totally talkin out my ass, I dont know if the Lightning are still in cap trouble or what....and I guess we'd still have the issue at centre…but having a bona-fide first line superstar would at least stop the first line debate. Who knows, man…will be interesting to watch it unfold tho.

I like the sounds of Horc on line 3 getting first line minutes tho….man that is versatility we havent' seen in a while. But again, we're depending on two unproven guys for this to work. If they don't pan out consistently, we are weak down the middle again.

To add in another kink is that Gagner cannot play in the AHL you have to be at least 20 years old...so that is the big kicker to this mess...lol.

Stoll is an RFA next year so what you are proposing is not out to lunch....however I really do believe he will be signed during the year. I love Stollie....gotta give him credit before he was injured he had a postive +/- rating last year....that says something....I still think he will be a future captain one day......they really need to lock him up before he goes RFA because someone will throw stupid money at him that is for sure....

Tampa is looking for D-men....and they need some bad.....

Yeah this year we have something we had none of last year...that is why I keep saying that the hockey pundits and most other fans are WAY out too lunch putting the Oilers in the bottom three of most predictions....everyone is basing their predictions on last year....hey we may (although I believe we will) make not make the play-offs but we will be competitive regardless....our team is being shaped into one that will be a contender for a long time.....
  • Options
    One more pre-season game and we can finally get this show on the road...damn Saturday is turning out to be a very good day for me in the sports department....Riders vs Al's in the afternoon and the Oilers-'Nucks game in the evening...cannot wait....
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    One more pre-season game and we can finally get this show on the road...damn Saturday is turning out to be a very good day for me in the sports department....Riders vs Al's in the afternoon and the Oilers-'Nucks game in the evening...cannot wait....

I heard Sportsnet or CBC is picking it up...being the last pre season game for both teams we should see pretty close to a full line up of regulars.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I heard Sportsnet or CBC is picking it up...being the last pre season game for both teams we should see pretty close to a full line up of regulars.

Yeah I heard SN Pacific might get it.....????

I thinks the Oilers will be about 75% regulars we still have 31 guys as of today on the roster so I wouldn't expect us to dress everyone....I expect our two phenoms Cogliano (have I said I love this kid) and Gagner to play....this will be the time for Gagner to show if we should give him his nine game stint (which I think we will anyway) in the big-times....should be a good pre-season tilt....
  • Options
    Just checked the broadcast schedule for Sportsnet and it has the Oilers/Canucks game on SN Pacific this Saturday...now hopefully Bell will not black it out in Alberta!
  • Options
    Looks like my three wishes for the Oilers are now true....

1) Thoreson has been placed on waivers.
    2) Carter has been cut from the team.
    3) And the big one....Sam Gagner has been signed and will play at least nine games in the big league....we have Cogliano/Gagner playing on the same line either with Sanderson or Pouliet....regardless who they play it will be one of the (if not) the fastest lines in the league.....its almost time.....Oct. 4th can hurry the hell up!
  • Options
    Any Oiler fans see Cogliano/Nilsson against Vancouver this past Saturday?

WOW!.....I love this kid Cogliano he is an absolute gem and exciting as hell to watch....

I have said it once and I will say it again this is the most under-rated team in the NHL....we will take eveyone by surprise this year!
  • Options
    Moreau wears the 'C'...worst kept secret in the city the last little while. The A's go to Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky at home and Jarret Stoll and Steve Staios on the road.
  • Options
    Any Oiler fans see Cogliano/Nilsson against Vancouver this past Saturday?

WOW!.....I love this kid Cogliano he is an absolute gem and exciting as hell to watch....

I have said it once and I will say it again this is the most under-rated team in the NHL....we will take eveyone by surprise this year!

Any news on Roy?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Any news on Roy?

He is on the IR.....needless to say though I believe he will be traded or put onto waivers...no room for him as we have too many ready to go D-men....

Mentioning surprises I read today that Smid will be in the press-box for the season open with Grebs. meaning Tom Gilbert will get the nod....I love Gilbert do not get me wrong, just a little shocked that Smid is riding the pine.....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I'm not suprised about Smid/Gilbert, really....I LOVED Gilbert last year....we're just too tight back there. Might just be a wake up call for Smid tho, we'll see.

The Edmonton cheerleading squad (Jones/Tychkowski) got me soooo pumped today....any Oiler fan has to be excited (and rolling their eyes just a little) reading this:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/10/02/4542631-sun.html
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/10/02/4542629-sun.html
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    im gonna miss Sam Gagner and Patrick Kane, damn NHL taking kids who aren't ready and ruining the London Knights this season.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    kenshunt wrote:
    im gonna miss Sam Gagner and Patrick Kane, damn NHL taking kids who aren't ready and ruining the London Knights this season.
    Gagner sounds ready by all accounts...but the Oilers aren't the type of team to keep him if he's not...he might be back down after his trial period.
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:

I can not speak for Kane but Gagner is ready.....
  • Options
    I'm not suprised about Smid/Gilbert, really....I LOVED Gilbert last year....we're just too tight back there. Might just be a wake up call for Smid tho, we'll see.

The Edmonton cheerleading squad (Jones/Tychkowski) got me soooo pumped today....any Oiler fan has to be excited (and rolling their eyes just a little) reading this:

Yeah Smid goes down I think is directly related to the fact that he is a two-way contract therefore will be sent down before Grebs...plus he did have a poor pre-season...I am with you on Gilbert though this kid was the real deal last season and I am pumped he is on the team and slated to start Thursday.....
  • Options

As for the articles...I do find it quite different for MacT to be excited....last year I do not think he cracked a smile (that includes pre-season) and now he is all bubbling....I like it....I do agree that the youthful atmosphere will kick start the veterans....also in a way to make sure they do not lost their jobs to these rookies.....I will say it again we are the most under-rated team (maybe next to LA) in the league....we will contend for a play-off spot this year.....
  • Options
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/section.html?section=2007-08+Oilers

Link to the Edmonton Journal and their 15 page blowout discussing the Oilers and the upcoming season.....folks we are only 33 hours from the season opener against the most picked team to take home the cup the San Jose Sharks (I cannot stand the Sharks since our run in 2006).....
  • Options
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/section.html?section=2007-08+Oilers

Link to the Edmonton Journal and their 15 page blowout discussing the Oilers and the upcoming season.....folks we are only 33 hours from the season opener against the most picked team to take home the cup the San Jose Sharks (I cannot stand the Sharks since our run in 2006).....

Do us a favour and soften them up for the Canucks as we have our season opener against the Friday night!
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Do us a favour and soften them up for the Canucks as we have our season opener against the Friday night!

Oh we will....we will give their legs a work-out....will be a great game with two very fast teams going at it...for us to have a chance we need to stay out of the penalty box......

I also will refrain from making any gameday predictions on this forum as when I do I am usually wrong......so I really do not know if that says something about me or the Oilers ;).
  • Options
    Well I cannot wait....less than 24 hours till the Oilers start the season...the waiting is honestly killing me.....I have never been more excited for the start of the season...think it has to do with the team having a complete new identity....
  • Options
    LETS GO OILERS!!!!!

First game approx. four hours from face-off....I am stoked and feel like a little kid again...

Expected line-up tonight:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Torres-Stoll-Nilsson
    Sanderson-Reasoner-Brodziak
    Jacques- Gagner-Cogliano

Pitkanen-Staios
    Souray-Greene
    Gilbert-Tarnstrom

Roloson
    Garon

Moreau is not expected to play tonight (should be back Saturday)...therefore Jacques gets the call but will be in the PB when Moreau returns....I haev read expect to see Gagner jump onto the the #1 PP unit and maybe the 1st line....PP's are geared as follows:

Penner-Horcoff (Gagner jumping in at time)- Hemsky
    Souray/Pitkanen

Torres/Cogliano/Nilsson
    Stoll/Tarnstrom

I am honestly shaking right now and that is no joke :)!!!!
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

A little touch of the past to salute the NHL's best fans!