Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=d951199a-d9b8-40cc-aada-7d3dc780cc7e&k=64414

Burke still angry with Oilers GM

CanWest News Service

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

CREDIT: Ottawa Citizen
    Anaheim Ducks' GM Brian Burke.

Time doesn't seem to heal all wounds. Just ask Brian Burke.

The Anaheim Ducks general manager had harsh words for his Edmonton counterpart, Kevin Lowe, during Tuesday's National Hockey League season preview show on TSN.

When asked if he was on speaking terms with Lowe, he replied: "I don't know if he is, but I'm not talking to him."

Lowe signed Ducks forward Dustin Penner, a restricted free agent, to an offer sheet this summer worth $21.25 million US over five years. Burke was forced to match the offer or let Penner go in exchange for compensation consisting of draft picks.

The Ducks decided to let the 25-year-old right-winger, who made the league minimum of $450,000 last season, walk.

"For the colossal stupidity of what the Edmonton Oilers did this past summer ... If I had run my team into the sewer like that, I wouldn't throw a grenade at the other 29 teams and my own indirectly," said Burke.

"So I have no intention of talking to him anytime soon."

Earlier in the summer, Lowe had signed Buffalo restricted free agent Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50-million offer sheet. The Sabres decided to match, drawing the ire from Buffalo managing partner Larry Quinn.

"We've always had an attitude here that we don't do these things," Quinn said at the time.

"As it comes to the Edmonton Oilers, if there is an opportunity for us to put an offer sheet on a player at any time - as long as we're alive - we'll be very comfortable in doing that. And they can expect it, if it's in our best interest."

When Burke was asked about the Oilers being a potential trade partner in the future, he said he wouldn't get involved.

"(Assistant GM) Bob Murray can talk to someone there," Burke said.

Besides Penner, the defending Stanley Cup champions enter the season without forward Teemu Selanne, who is an unsigned unrestricted free agent, and defenceman Scott Niedermayer, who is on the suspended list while he contemplates his future.

Niedermayer hasn't retired, but with two years left on his contract, he also hasn't reported to the team.

Burke is hoping the 34-year-old will decide to return for his 15th NHL season.

"I'm optimistic that there's a chance he'll return because he hasn't asked for his voluntarily retired papers. That's the phone call every GM dreads with a great player," Burke told TSN.

"The minute he calls me, I've made it clear to Scott and the NHL, there will be no time delay here. The minute he calls and asks for those papers, they are in the mail. The minute I get them back, they are going to the league. That's the phone call I don't want, and we haven't got it yet."

© CanWest News Service 2007
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

A little touch of the past to salute the NHL's best fans!

Great to see so many on the board pummped for the start of the season!!! :D

We in Canuckville have to wait another day :(
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Great to see so many on the board pummped for the start of the season!!! :D

We in Canuckville have to wait another day :(

We will do our best to wear Nabby down tonight...I honestly believe the Sharks are going to go into the game tonight thinking easy win.....should note that Ron "I am not a play-off coach" Wilson is loading, and I mean loading, up their first line....

Marleau/Thornton/Cheechoo

I fully expect our kids to show the western Canadian audience what I have seen during the pre-season...a tonne of speed and skill....going to be a great game!
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I am looking forward to seeing Cogliano adapt to the NHL this year and going forward. Watching him over the years play in the World Juniors, and the odd Michigan Wolvs game on Leafs TV or NHL Network, he looks like he's going to be an extremely fast, well-skilled player.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Well I cannot wait....less than 24 hours till the Oilers start the season...the waiting is honestly killing me.....I have never been more excited for the start of the season...think it has to do with the team having a complete new identity....

Me too friend, I can't remember a time when I was more excited for the season opener!!!!! Are you going to the game??? I'm leaving for Rexall in about an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Me too friend, I can't remember a time when I was more excited for the season opener!!!!! Are you going to the game??? I'm leaving for Rexall in about an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

HAH! I wish!

Be sure to give us a recap after the game I will be tuning into SN West and cheering from my chair with a beer in hand....jersey is on already.....have fun!
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Here we go Oilers...HERE WE GO
    Here we go Oilers...Here we GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps.oil
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    GO OILERS!!!

I can't wait to finally be able to make it to a game this year :D:D
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I can't believe our speed. Our whole frickin team can fly.
    I also cannot believe we haven't scored yet.

Did you guys hear the buzz in the building after Souray's first one-timer?
  • Options
    I was halfway through a mighty slice of pizza from Chigaco Deep Dish (Pink Lady) and I missed that. Listening to crazy Rod on 630 CHED right now.
    It's nice to have the Oilers back.
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOLLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah we definetly look like a bad dweller this year....great fucking game from the kids..................loving it!!!!!
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    right on OILERS !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Now that I am somewhat sober her goes my post-game rant for the game yeserday.....

Oilers 3 (Gilbert and Bordziak)
    Sharks 2 (Marleau and Thornton)

Shoot-out goes to four shooters

Edmonton (Hemsky-Miss/Nilsson-Goal/Reasoner-Miss/Stoll-Goal)
    San Jose (Cheechoo - Miss/Clowe-Miss/Palvelski-Goal/Marleau-Miss)

Well I need to get something off my chest....this team does not even come close to what the pundits have predicted for us this year (bottom dwellers) they have raised some eyebrows (from reading various forums from around league) with various NHL fans.

First the stand-outs...Hemsky is playing like a man possessed led the team in shots (WOW is that a first) with five and made some great stick handling moves to make the Sharks defence look foolish more than once.

Horcoff played a good balanced game and had some good opportunites.

Penner absoultley crushed some guy in the first period, he did his job and created room for Hemsky (which was readily apparent by the open ice Hemsky had) and had some good opportunites.

Nilsson (mini-Forsberg) was skating circles around the ice and looked impressive (we stole this guy for Ryan Smyth). He just needs to shoot more.

Torres was a little fiesty last night with a nice tilt with Murray who seem to be 1.5 the size of Torres. Also was sticking up for team-mates. He just needs to be more aware of what Nilsson is doing as he was set-up many time with small gapped seam passes that he was not expecting.

Then Cogliano/Gagner....wow these kids have poise, they are intelligent, they are not scared to muck it up because of their size and they brought so much energy for the team. MacT already said they will be getting more ice-time. MacT showed his trust with them by putting them in key situations late in the game.

Sanderson the most under-rated guy last night was all over the place....SO FAST!.....created two on ones by coming out of nowhere. It was said before the game that if Moreau was to play last night Sandy was out...after last nights game and see JFJ see less than 4 minutes ice time it is safe to say he is gone and Sandy will be full-time.

Brodizak - you have to feel good for this kid, been kicking it up in the minors for the last four years and is coming into his own. A wonderful replacement for Pisani.

Souray looked great....he was ripped on that late call on him what a bogus penalty...had a couple break-downs but owned the Sharks first line in the first two periods....

Greene looked lazy on the first goal...however played the way I like him to play...that is not to notice him....

Gilbert, well if you watched the game there is no words to describe this kid, will be with the team full time.

Pitkanen...was quiet had some chances but played a safe defensive game and created opportunites (another steal).

ROLI ROLI - typical Roli game...little shakey but 28/30 saves.....

Overall the rest of the NHL better take these guys seriously...I will say that it is between us and Buffalo as the fastest teams in the NHL. Finally a return to turn Oilers fire-wagon hockey...going to be a great year Oiler faithful.
  • Options
    Just wanted to touch on Pisani....things do not seem to be going well for him...he has lost thirty pounds and from people that were at the game last night said he looked very pale and weak.

Hope you get better Pisani and make a great comeback of the year story.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    So the kid line looked good last night eh.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    So the kid line looked good last night eh.

The whole team was good...for people saying the Oilers are too small well since San Jose is the biggest team in the NHL we passed that test with flying colours....Gagner got to see more minutes with Hemsky late in the game and Cogliano started playing with Nillson (NYI fans are going to regret getting rid of this kid).....

Cog/Gagner are so well postioned and mature for their age which you can easily see....this team was so exciting to watch....put last years team to bed already pundits.....this is the re-emergence of typical Oilers hockey.....

Gagner will be up the entire year...bank on that.....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I agree...if Gagne can keep that up, there is no way he's going anywhere. Him, Cogliano and Nilson - all three remind me of Hemsky a few years ago....they are all incredibly fast, good hands and HIGH skill level.
    The one thing that stood out to me most with this team, other than the speed, is the fact that we have scoring threats on the ice at ALL times. It's unbelievable, really....I think if we can avoid any serious group-slumps, this team will take the NW division handily. Listen to us after one game :D

Gilbert was amazing....nuff said.

Penner knocks guys off the puck like they're nothing...

Sanderson is easily the most overlooked addition to this team. He's a guy that has wanted to play here for YEARS and is going to give his best effort to stay with the team...I think he's still got a 30 goal season or two left in him with the right setup guy and ice time. He's got a great shot and teammates that can keep up to him.

And Hemsky made quite the statement last night....driving to the net first shift....gotta love seeing that :) Gawdayum that kid can dangle.

Stoll and Horcoff both played to their abilities....impressive...it's amazing that they are our "seasoned" veterans....still young guys themselves...Could be something special starting there.....Oilers/Pens final next year? 09? :D

I'm beyond pumped about this team....I wasn't there last night, but the guys in the office that were said the buzz in the building was like nothing they've seen in years.
  • Options
    I agree...if Gagne can keep that up, there is no way he's going anywhere. Him, Cogliano and Nilson - all three remind me of Hemsky a few years ago....they are all incredibly fast, good hands and HIGH skill level.
    The one thing that stood out to me most with this team, other than the speed, is the fact that we have scoring threats on the ice at ALL times. It's unbelievable, really....I think if we can avoid any serious group-slumps, this team will take the NW division handily. Listen to us after one game :D

Gilbert was amazing....nuff said.

Penner knocks guys off the puck like they're nothing...

Sanderson is easily the most overlooked addition to this team. He's a guy that has wanted to play here for YEARS and is going to give his best effort to stay with the team...I think he's still got a 30 goal season or two left in him with the right setup guy and ice time. He's got a great shot and teammates that can keep up to him.

And Hemsky made quite the statement last night....driving to the net first shift....gotta love seeing that :) Gawdayum that kid can dangle.

Stoll and Horcoff both played to their abilities....impressive...it's amazing that they are our "seasoned" veterans....still young guys themselves...Could be something special starting there.....Oilers/Pens final next year? 09? :D

I'm beyond pumped about this team....I wasn't there last night, but the guys in the office that were said the buzz in the building was like nothing they've seen in years.

They are slowly making waves across the league because exlcuding the Oil faithful in Edmonton everything they have bad defence and cannot score....LOL!!!

I understand that in one of the papers in Vancouver they said next Saturdays home game against the Oilers is one of must see games due to how bad they are going to blow us out of the water.....we will see.....only thing that will save them is Luongo (sorry Hawkshore but when I heard this I was very unimpressed luckily your a fan that can talk it straight up)

Yeah its only one game...but we played arguebly the most hyped team in the league (and the biggest team as well) and we took it to them 5 on 5 (which was honestly my biggest concern) and they had 8 of their 30 shots on the PP....the kids rose to the occasion....

As called JFJ has been sent down to the minors.....

Its also funny I goto HFboards which is an NHL message forum and there was a topic called Oilers Young Guns.....fans all over who watched the game were stating their shock of how fast and skilled our team is.....if Moreau is back for Saturday expect Sanderson/Cogliano/Gagner to be our 4th line!!!! Now tell me any team in the division or for that matter the league has 3rd or 4th liners that will be able to keep up to them.....

Cannot wait to see Gator back tomorrow....crowd will give a good cheer....

Hemsky is out to prove he is elite it seemed like a totally different Ales out there..he made the Sharks d-men look like pylons multiple time...I have a vibe about this team since the get-go I dunno things just feel right....wait till we play the Flyers were Derian Hatcher logs the most minutes on defence.....he may as well just be a pylon.....
  • Options
    To add-in yet another note.I agree with Eddiemon...I mean Drowned Out :)

I believe we have four lines that can score on any given shift (largely due to our d-men wow can they ever pass now)....San Jose was just unable to match our 2-4 lines...just too much speed.....
  • Options
    Hear we go Oiler fans: Oilers vs Flyers PPV action 6:00 MT

The Oilers seem to be bringing in the exact same line-up as they did with the Sharks....except two noteworthy changes: JFJ has been sent down to Springfield and MAP should be taking his spot as Moreau is still not expected to play (I hope he is though) and Garon gets his first stop in Oiler silks....

Flyers looked okay against Calgary (they cashed in on defevensive break-downs from the Flames) they like SJ have one very strong offensive line that should not cause as much fits due to the lack of a big body of Thornton on that line...but they will be speedy....however if you watched the first game we are easily faster....I expect that as part of their gameplan would be to institute an agressive fore-check to counter-act our quick defensive zone to offensive zone transition game (after last season it seems funny calling that a strength again)....however our forwards will not have much problem blowing by their huge slow d-men (yeah I am pointing at you D. Hatcher expect to be utterly burnt tonight).......also I noticed the Flames cashed in on two PP opportunites something (like the Oilers of last year) could not do well....expect the Oilers PP to get at least one tonight....can I foresee a Souray howitzer from the point......

Jason Smith returns to Rexall to captain the Flyers along with everyone's favorite whipping boy Joffrey Lupul...while Geoff (I can skate the like the mother-fucking wind) Sanderson and Joni Pitkanen play against their old mates....should be a beauty.....

LETS GO OILERS!
  • Options
    Hear we go Oiler fans: Oilers vs Flyers PPV action 6:00 MT

The Oilers seem to be bringing in the exact same line-up as they did with the Sharks....except two noteworthy changes: JFJ has been sent down to Springfield and MAP should be taking his spot as Moreau is still not expected to play (I hope he is though) and Garon gets his first stop in Oiler silks....

Flyers looked okay against Calgary (they cashed in on defevensive break-downs from the Flames) they like SJ have one very strong offensive line that should not cause as much fits due to the lack of a big body of Thornton on that line...but they will be speedy....however if you watched the first game we are easily faster....I expect that as part of their gameplan would be to institute an agressive fore-check to counter-act our quick defensive zone to offensive zone transition game (after last season it seems funny calling that a strength again)....however our forwards will not have much problem blowing by their huge slow d-men (yeah I am pointing at you D. Hatcher expect to be utterly burnt tonight).......also I noticed the Flames cashed in on two PP opportunites something (like the Oilers of last year) could not do well....expect the Oilers PP to get at least one tonight....can I foresee a Souray howitzer from the point......

Jason Smith returns to Rexall to captain the Flyers along with everyone's favorite whipping boy Joffrey Lupul...while Geoff (I can skate the like the mother-fucking wind) Sanderson and Joni Pitkanen play against their old mates....should be a beauty.....

LETS GO OILERS!
    Why not just have oilers tv lol, how much is the ppv 9.99
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Why not just have oilers tv lol, how much is the ppv 9.99
    $9.99 that is cheap I think it is $11.99 or a little more....yeah it sucks but what makes it worse if you live in Alberta (or is the Edmonton reigion I dunno) even Center Ice will block out the game....so yeah it sucks especially with 12 or 14 games on PPV this year....but being a die-hard I will pay......just sucks when your team looks horrible that night....but I expect a great game tonight.....
  • Options
    $9.99 that is cheap I think it is $11.99 or a little more....yeah it sucks but what makes it worse if you live in Alberta (or is the Edmonton reigion I dunno) even Center Ice will block out the game....so yeah it sucks especially with 12 or 14 games on PPV this year....but being a die-hard I will pay......just sucks when your team looks horrible that night....but I expect a great game tonight.....

People in Ontario bitch about paying 2.99 a month for LeafsTV, im like it's better then payin ppv prices like in Edmonton and Vancouver, you get 20 Leafs games stop being so cheap lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    People in Ontario bitch about paying 2.99 a month for LeafsTV, im like it's better then payin ppv prices like in Edmonton and Vancouver, you get 20 Leafs games stop being so cheap lol.

I would take that would be cheaper in the end for us....plus I think it would be cool having an all Oilers channel...maybe upgrade us to HD as well....
  • Options
    OH BABYYYYY!!!!!

Pitkanen with the winner over his former team and Sanderson also against his old team gets two.....we domintated this game minus ten minutes we owned the Flyers.......watch out NW we are coming at ya!
  • Options
    Oilers - 5 (Staois, Penner, Sanderson (2), Pitkanen)
    Flyers - 3 (Carter, Briere, Gagne)

First before posting my review of the game I need to say that to all those around the league that view Edmonton as a bad place to play where the fans ride you and all that crap you should have tuned in yesterday for the pre-game video on the big screen for ex-Oiler (now Flyers) captain Jason Smith....followed by a nice standing ovation....I think he had tears in his eyes....all class and a I thank all those in attendace for that....beautiful and made me almost tear up as I love "Gator".....

As for the game we absolutly dominated them in the first 16-4 the shots.....we were cycling like no ones busniess the kids were working from all over the ice.....Cogliano got robbed of his first goal....but alas we were scoreless after one. Flyers came out in the second and owned us for half the period (the only time of the entire game) 6 total goals were scored and Briere had a high-light reel goal for the Flyers.....Penner looked great getting his first and did his normal Penner type game.....Sanderson scores with 4 seconds left in the period to tie it at three

We played incredible in the third....Pitkaken (with a lucky bounce) gets the game winner against his old team and Sanderson notches an EN goal to get two versus his old team.

Once again I need to say the speed of the Oilers is amazing and watch the fuck out NHL we are rolling four lines, only two games in and we lead the league in ES goals (something we had none of last year)...Gagner/Cogliano were great again and are improving at an exponential rate....the line of Sanderson/Reasoner/Brodziak was giving the Flyers fits all night....Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky had a total of five points on the evening and were overall sound on both sides of the ice (Hemsky is doing some major fore-checking this year)....plus nice to see our backup goalie get his first win as an Oiler in front of the faithful.....should note Gagne/Briere/Knuble were a total -9 tonight.

Oiler fans please think of this right now we are still awaiting for our captain to make his first appearance and when he gets into the line-up we are only going to get better....damn our four lines (which have all proven they can score and dominate in both games) are going to give teams with less upfront depth and a slow defence fits....this is not your 2006-2007 Oilers team this is something different.....very different......the future looks bright....now lets see how we match up against the always strong Red Wings on Monday....should be a beauty.....
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The Oils were absolutely terrible against Minnesota last night. Granted, the Wild had 2 back-to-back shut outs already, but the Oilers didn't do much to change it.
    The falling over attempts to get Souray the puck on the pp were really painful to watch. The results of that strategy were some seriously sloppy play and dummy passes (not to mention his tendancy last night to pass it to a teammate with a Wild player 2 feet away from the receiver....).
    I guess what made it so bad is that everytime they DID get Souray the puck, he botched his shot. No good slaps, and no aim whatsoever (a few blocks too, brave guys).
    They've got to let the play flow a little more on the PP, everyone knows that Souray is the strategy!
  • Options
    They couldnt get their offence going whatsoever and their powerplay sucks. Its still early though, I try to be cautious when pumping up the team early in the season. I am already hearing people talking on the radio that this is going to be another rebuilding season......to which I say Fek U.
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    They couldnt get their offence going whatsoever and their powerplay sucks. Its still early though, I try to be cautious when pumping up the team early in the season. I am already hearing people talking on the radio that this is going to be another rebuilding season......to which I say Fek U.

I think they'll come around and do ok, but they were completely non-existent offensively last night.
    Losing 2-0 to Minnesota isn't bad as far as losses go.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I think they'll come around and do ok, but they were completely non-existent offensively last night.
    Losing 2-0 to Minnesota isn't bad as far as losses go.

Indeed!
    >>>>
    >