What book are you reading?

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Just picked up An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    elle elle wrote:
    Twilight :oops:

I watched the movie last weekend, and am a little embarassed to admit that I have developed a crush on a pasty white, 17 year old, fictional character :?

you should be more than a little embarassed. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I haven't had a chance to read a book for leisure for 3 weeks :( But I think tomorrow I'm going to start 'the Book of Air and Shadows' by Michael Gruber. It seems kinda like a lit-nerd version of Dan Brown, but I spend all day reading, so something light is nice to come home to.
    elle elle wrote:

I watched the movie last weekend, and am a little embarassed to admit that I have developed a crush on a pasty white, 17 year old, fictional character :?

not at all, that chick is fucking smoking hot... she was in adventureland!
    elle elle wrote:

not at all, that chick is fucking smoking hot... she was in adventureland!

i suspect elle elle is talking about edward cullen not bella.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

hey, if i'm allowed, so is s/he :)

of course... but my comment stands. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

of course... but my comment stands. :)

Fair enough... guess i thought all the girls loved edward ;)
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    JaneNY wrote:
    Just picked up An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon.

well that should be good, she wrote the "outlander" series.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • elle elle wrote:

was an awesome series - & if you havent seen the preview for new moon that was aired at the VMAs you should - cause that movie looks like its going to be awesome!

dont feel too embarassed - I'm 30 & managed to kill off all 4 books in a week. and now there's a group of 40-50 something women where i work who have become engaged by it too. there's something about it that just sucks you right in & you cant quite put a finger on it.

i'm currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - it's the 2nd book in The Hunger Games series. VERY GOOD! its a young adult series but the theory behind this post-apocalyptic world actually seems very plausible. it's not so far fetched that it would make you think it could never happen. read The Hunger Games in a day (an extremely rainy one - nothing else to do) but still VERY GOOD & quite the mover - good bit of action.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Breath by Tim Winton
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Just finished Dan Brown's "The Symbol" it was ok
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • finished up howard's end ~ e.m.forster over the weekend and just started today:
    northhanger abbey ~ jane austen

i've probably seen just about every film made based on austen's work, but i am probably the only female to never have actually read any of her work. :oops: :? :| well, that ended today, as i am going to read ALL her books, and this is the first on the list. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    finished up howard's end ~ e.m.forster over the weekend and just started today:

i've probably seen just about every film made based on austen's work, but i am probably the only female to never have actually read any of her work. :oops: :? :| well, that ended today, as i am going to read ALL her books, and this is the first on the list. :mrgreen:
    Jane Rocks! I just saw the newest versions of Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility (BBC or A&E from the past couple years) and I want to reread those books. Thank Gawd for Jane! If I didn't pick her stuff up when I was 13 I . . . I . . . I can't even fathom how much she has affected my life. About as much as Pearl Jam.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:

Jane Rocks! I just saw the newest versions of Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility (BBC or A&E from the past couple years) and I want to reread those books. Thank Gawd for Jane! If I didn't pick her stuff up when I was 13 I . . . I . . . I can't even fathom how much she has affected my life. About as much as Pearl Jam.

now THAt is an austen endorsement if i ever read one! :mrgreen:
    i honestly do not know how i managed to live 40 years on this earth and not read one of her books. but as i've said, that's all changin' today! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• also just finished the White Tiger, it was pretty good
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    In the middle of "Oxygen" by Carol Cassella. Really good so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    KB61743 wrote:
    elle elle wrote:

was an awesome series - & if you havent seen the preview for new moon that was aired at the VMAs you should - cause that movie looks like its going to be awesome!

dont feel too embarassed - I'm 30 & managed to kill off all 4 books in a week. and now there's a group of 40-50 something women where i work who have become engaged by it too. there's something about it that just sucks you right in & you cant quite put a finger on it.

i'm currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - it's the 2nd book in The Hunger Games series. VERY GOOD! its a young adult series but the theory behind this post-apocalyptic world actually seems very plausible. it's not so far fetched that it would make you think it could never happen. read The Hunger Games in a day (an extremely rainy one - nothing else to do) but still VERY GOOD & quite the mover - good bit of action.

you read much vampire fiction???

the following is absolutely my opinion...
    i was excited to read the twilight series.. but by the end i was throwing up. i realise i was out of the target demographic but i found bella to be a bore. i found edward to be just a dull character. for me theey killed off the best vampire and the one with the most potential(jasper) just doesnt get developed enough for my liking. i know ive got in my mind what i expect of my vampires and i can tell you vampires who forego blood for whatever moral reasons just dont do it for me. i dont like sweetness and light. vampires should not be cotton candy. and yes i am aware i was reading a teen romance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    KB61743 wrote:

i was excited to read the twilight series.. but by the end i was throwing up. i realise i was out of the target demographic but i found bella to be a bore. i found edward to be just a dull character. for me theey killed off the best vampire and the one with the most potential(jasper) just doesnt get developed enough for my liking. i know ive got in my mind what i expect of my vampires and i can tell you vampires who forego blood for whatever moral reasons just dont do it for me. i dont like sweetness and light. vampires should not be cotton candy. and yes i am aware i was reading a teen romance.

You are right. I only read the first book and could barely make it through that. First off the writing is atrocious. It is absolutely awful. Second it has no edge at all.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    KB61743 wrote:

You are right. I only read the first book and could barely make it through that. First off the writing is atrocious. It is absolutely awful. Second it has no edge at all.

sure it has edge. the edge is the vamps forego human blood. well the good vamps anyway. ;)

i think it wouldve been better for jasper to attack bella. i mean really attack her. to track her without the others knowledge and then have them deal with the fallout from that. i mean if hes really struggling and heres this fresh blood basically handed to him on a platter... then why not?? but thats just me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Quantum Gravity by Lee Smolin
    Reading Lolita in Teheran by Azar Nafisi
    Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
    Nastasja wrote:

oh i read this one.i really enjoyed it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Nastasja wrote:

oh i read this one.i really enjoyed it.

yes, me too. For a long time I was thinking about how women who have to wear the veil feel like. I don't think that she is representative for all but it's interesting to get her view on what happened in Iran and about what women have to face in her society.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Tomorrow I'm starting Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I've read About a Boy and High Fidelity and really enjoyed them both so I'm looking forward to this one.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

now THAt is an austen endorsement if i ever read one! :mrgreen:
    i honestly do not know how i managed to live 40 years on this earth and not read one of her books. but as i've said, that's all changin' today! 8-)

its easier than you think.

i recently told someone id not read jane austen and got the big eyeroll from them. understandably since they are an english teacher. anyhoo.... so i tried. i borrowed persuasion from the library... OMG i was poking myself in the eyes after a couple of chapters. i just couldnt continue reading... and so i went and picked some camus off my shelf. a much easier read.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • To see what Northanger Abbey is really lampooning, it's fun to read The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (1794).
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    GER95.jpg

• you read much vampire fiction???

yep - i do read much vampire fiction even took a class in college. loved every minute of it. perhaps i found it so refreshing b/c this is the first new spin that we've seen in years - probably since anne rice. i dont particularly "like" any of the main characters & i do agree that meyer's writing is bad - but this was her very first novel ever. so i give her a nod there. it is a teen series so if it wants to retain its literary rating than its got to stay low key. in our reality show dominated society - i feel almost as though there is nothing out there that is true fantasy to escape to & i think thats also why people have such a passion for it, including myself. (also why i like this thread so much! i'm always looking for the next good read.) i also kinda feel that the vamp story is much more of a backdrop to a love story - just a twist to make it interesting.

i dont like sparkly & i dont care for red or amber eyes. but i do love a great deal of the sneaky, smart & dangerous Eric Northman :oops: read all 9 of those books, cant wait til 10 & the short story anthology comes out next week (i think). rewatching season 2 on demand now too.

sincerely,
    Viy
  • finished up howard's end ~ e.m.forster over the weekend and just started today:

i bought a copy of northanger abbey about 2 mos ago & keep getting sidetracked into other things. maybe it'll be next for me too.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Fool ~ Christopher Moore
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball