What book are you reading?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    To see what Northanger Abbey is really lampooning, it's fun to read The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (1794).

good to know, thanks.

i bought northanger abbey years ago when i was reading ian mcewans atonement cause the reviewer mentioned some kind of connection.not sure how tenuous the connection was/is but the mention was enough. its been sitting on my shelf unread for almost 7 years now.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    KB61743 wrote:

you read much vampire fiction???

the following is absolutely my opinion...
    i was excited to read the twilight series.. but by the end i was throwing up. i realise i was out of the target demographic but i found bella to be a bore. i found edward to be just a dull character. for me theey killed off the best vampire and the one with the most potential(jasper) just doesnt get developed enough for my liking. i know ive got in my mind what i expect of my vampires and i can tell you vampires who forego blood for whatever moral reasons just dont do it for me. i dont like sweetness and light. vampires should not be cotton candy. and yes i am aware i was reading a teen romance.

yep - i do read much vampire fiction even took a class in college. loved every minute of it. perhaps i found it so refreshing b/c this is the first new spin that we've seen in years - probably since anne rice. i dont particularly "like" any of the main characters & i do agree that meyer's writing is bad - but this was her very first novel ever. so i give her a nod there. it is a teen series so if it wants to retain its literary rating than its got to stay low key. in our reality show dominated society - i feel almost as though there is nothing out there that is true fantasy to escape to & i think thats also why people have such a passion for it, including myself. (also why i like this thread so much! i'm always looking for the next good read.) i also kinda feel that the vamp story is much more of a backdrop to a love story - just a twist to make it interesting.

i dont like sparkly & i dont care for red or amber eyes. but i do love a great deal of the sneaky, smart & dangerous Eric Northman :oops: read all 9 of those books, cant wait til 10 & the short story anthology comes out next week (i think). rewatching season 2 on demand now too.

sincerely,
    Viy

a class on vamp literature. man did i ever go to the wrong school. id have been delirious.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • was just at Borders and bought the Swayze and Krakauer book. Also Baldacci (sic?) total control or something like that.
  • 'tis almost October, so I'm doing my annual reading of Edgar Allan Poe.....it gets me festive for the creepy season!!!

I realize now what a strange kid I musta seemed, 'cause I was doing this by age 7 & my heroes were: King Kong & the Universal Studios Monsters!!! :lol: MY POOR PARENTS!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

• a class on vamp literature. man did i ever go to the wrong school. id have been delirious.

best class EVER. was just an elective for me but somehow it helped aim towards my minor of russian & east european studies. the class has changed a bit since i took it in the fall of 2002 but i always go back to check it out & see if i can get my hands on a syllabus (since they usually post them online now) just to see what they're reading or if theres anything i havent read/heard of :geek: (i am inherently a nerd) here's the link http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/

enjoy!

and if i may.... GO PITT!

oops - might help to know it was called "Vampire: Blood & Empire"
    KB61743 wrote:

a class on vamp literature. man did i ever go to the wrong school. id have been delirious.

best class EVER. was just an elective for me but somehow it helped aim towards my minor of russian & east european studies. the class has changed a bit since i took it in the fall of 2002 but i always go back to check it out & see if i can get my hands on a syllabus (since they usually post them online now) just to see what they're reading or if theres anything i havent read/heard of :geek: (i am inherently a nerd) here's the link http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/

enjoy!

and if i may.... GO PITT!

oops - might help to know it was called "Vampire: Blood & Empire"

ooooohhh thanks so much.

GO BRAD! ;)

p.s. im a nerd too. :geek:

EDIT after reading course outline: who is your vampiric ideal??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Nixonland by Rick Pearlstein
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • A More Perfect Union - A Seattle Crime Mystery by JA Jance. I'm trying to branch out more from sports, music books etc.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes Stories
  • merkinball wrote:
    Fool ~ Christopher Moore

good book. that book inspired me to read a bunch of his other work; Fluke, Practical Demonkeeping, Lust Lizard, and another one about vampires in San Fransisco... all fun reads but Lamb is by far his best.

I'm in between books... should I read:

On the Road (Kerouac)

or

Finnegan's Wake (James Joyce) ???
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    merkinball wrote:
    Fool ~ Christopher Moore

good book. that book inspired me to read a bunch of his other work; Fluke, Practical Demonkeeping, Lust Lizard, and another one about vampires in San Fransisco... all fun reads but Lamb is by far his best.

On the Road (Kerouac)

or

I think Lust Lizard is my favorite, followed by Lamb. I'm pretty impressed with all his work though, consistently funny. Pick up "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror" when Christmas rolls around, takes place in Pine Cove and brings back a number of his characters from other books.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    merkinball wrote:
    Fool ~ Christopher Moore

On the Road (Kerouac)

or

I think Lust Lizard is my favorite, followed by Lamb. I'm pretty impressed with all his work though, consistently funny. Pick up "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror" when Christmas rolls around, takes place in Pine Cove and brings back a number of his characters from other books.

I will! After all this James Joyce and Robert Anton Wilson I've been reading lately... I'll need an easy and fun read around the holidays.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Started the Swayze book...very good thus far.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    The Miles Davis autobiography. I've never seen so many curse words on a page before.
  • Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

My non-fiction consumption continues.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I recently read 'And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks' by Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. Picked it up randomly as it was buy two books and get one free but I was pleasantly surprised by this. Quite a cool insight into pre-On the Road Kerouac.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Atonement - Ian McEwan
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Big Burn by Timothy Egan
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Classic.
    Zürich - 06/23/00
    Irving Plaza (NYC) - 05/06/06
    Bern - 09/13/06
    Berlin - 08/15/09
    London - 06/25/10
    Berlin - 06/30/10
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Oracle Bones: A Journey Through Time in China

CHN316.jpg
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Just finished Stephen King-Insomnia. I'm a huge King fan but I must say that this was not one of his bests for me. Just didn't hook me like the others have.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,985
    Backspacer insert

All the Pretty Horses Cormac McCarty
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • The non-fiction streak continues with Columbine by Dave Cullen.

Born to Run was awesome.
  • Reading "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Battle Royale-Koushun Takami

Freaking me out!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • The Boy From Baby House 10: From the Nightmare of a Russian Orphanage to a New Life in America

by Alan Philps & John Lahutsky

halfway through it right now - awesome story of endurance & survival - john lahutsky would be "The Boy"
    sad to see that not only did he have to go through these things but how so many others have/had done the same...
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    girl with the dragon tattoo- stieg larsson
    edited November 2009
    iluvcats wrote:
    i've always liked time travel movies...

I understand that the book the time traveler's wife is better than the movie. I read a movie review and the reviewer found it creepy, like his mom was killed when he was 6 and he meets her when he is grown and she LIKES him....not knowing he is her son. That sounds like back to the future....michael j. fox met his mom in the fifties and she got a crush on him when he stayed at their house and she thought his name was Calvin Klein (his underware.)

okay so i saw this movie earlier tonight. and i have to say that reviewer has no idea what theyre talking about. in the scene where henry meets his mother on the train there is no indicaton that she likes him. to her he seems pleasant enough though he says some things that give her pause to think maybe theres something not quite right about this stranger who shares her sons name. not creepy at all and tis def nothing remotely like lorraine having the hots for marty in BTTF. and i dont even know where to start about the inappropriateness of clare and henrys first dance at their wedding being to joy divisions love will tear us apart.

im reading the chrysalids by john wyndham.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Right now I'm reading The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw. Very inspiring book.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,