What book are you reading?

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    I bought the latest Dan Brown book, The Lost Symbol but haven't started it yet :oops:

Before that I think the last book I read was Dewey or The Lost City of Z.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    rrivers wrote:
    I'm going to buy "Under the Dome" by Stephen King tonight and start reading that. I am about halfway through "Dracula" right now and it is really good!

I've just begun reading it. It's very...umm...King so far.

Do you like it? I'm on page 38 and really liking it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • -Buru--Buru- Posts: 1,292

oscar wilde is awesome :)

i have brave new world on my shelf right now waiting to be read. i'm not sure how i never read it before. but i havent had time to read a book in more than 2 months :(

Oh yeah, he is awesome.

Brave New World is a classic to me. Hope you enjoy it when you pick it off the shelf. 8-)
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I bought the latest Dan Brown book, The Lost Symbol but haven't started it yet :oops:

Before that I think the last book I read was Dewey or The Lost City of Z.
    Yes gonna pick up The Lost Symbol to tide me over
    patiently waiting for The Lion by Nelson DeMille due out next June. Just got his newsletter- really love this man
    and his sarcastic wit. If you aren't familiar with his work check out his website lots of good books pick from.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Patiently awaiting Under the Dome to show up on the doorstep. Come on FedEx! :x
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • seeking spirits by the ghost hunters guys :)
    31gksBinGjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    There's a new Ian Rankin? Is it good?
  • witches of eastwick by john updike

i love the tv show. it better not get canceled!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Enkidu wrote:
    There's a new Ian Rankin? Is it good?

Yes, I checked to see when it was published and it's this year for paperback, hardback last year. Not too far through it yet and not quite sure. I really like the ones I've read with Rebus in and this is (so far) more based around the people committing the crime. I'm not totally into it yet but I usually enjoy his books so I'm giving it some time.

I got it on offer with a Jeffrey Deaver book 2 for £8 in Morrisons (oops never checked if you were over here, if you're not ignore that bit)

:D
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ... I have always loved Vampire and supernatural-related fiction, so even though I don't fit the demographic of these books I decided to read them anyway. The Twilight series (in two and a half days, with occasional stops for sleeping ;) ); The Host by Stephanie Meyer; The Vampire Diaries (Twilight is a total rip-off, really makes me wonder why L J Smith hasn't sued); ...

i found bella and elena to be equally annoying. the way elena set her sights on stefan made me want to slap her. i didnt find her a likeable character at all. i really need to finish my own. *sigh*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ... I have always loved Vampire and supernatural-related fiction, so even though I don't fit the demographic of these books I decided to read them anyway. The Twilight series (in two and a half days, with occasional stops for sleeping ;) ); The Host by Stephanie Meyer; The Vampire Diaries (Twilight is a total rip-off, really makes me wonder why L J Smith hasn't sued); ...

i found bella and elena to be equally annoying. the way elena set her sights on stefan made me want to slap her. i didnt find her a likeable character at all. i really need to finish my own. *sigh*

Yeah, I agree. Both were very annoying. I thought that it was just because they were teenaged girls ;) However, I think that both author's successfully reflected the shallowness and selfishness of many seventeen year-old girls :roll: ;):D I found the fifth Harry Potter book the same. All whiny, and "what about me, me, me!" So, I guess the explains the appeal for many young adults.

On a more important note . . . You're writing a Vampire book :o :shock: :P :P :P :P I do hope that you will publish, and soon!!!!!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Yeah, I agree. Both were very annoying. I thought that it was just because they were teenaged girls ;) However, I think that both author's successfully reflected the shallowness and selfishness of many seventeen year-old girls :roll: ;):D I found the fifth Harry Potter book the same. All whiny, and "what about me, me, me!" So, I guess the explains the appeal for many young adults.

On a more important note . . . You're writing a Vampire book :o :shock: :P :P :P :P I do hope that you will publish, and soon!!!!!

yeah i thought perhaps elena was just a teenage girl horning after a guy. bella i found insipid.

oh and i totally agree with you on .. the half blood prince

oh no not a vampire story per se. the main character isnt a vamp. shes somethings else. but there are vamps in it and they do play a sizeable role. truth be told ive been working on it on and off for several years. i just get distracted way too easily.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • done!
    finished up persuasion this afternoon...so i have now, finally, read all of jane austen's work.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of Self, Daphne Simeon and Jeffrey Abugel
    (my current career)

Staged Action: Six Plays from the American Workers' Theater, Lee Papa
    (my presumed career in college) reviewing this one.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    got my preordered Under the Dome - Stephen King last week. Started reading it yesterday. Awesome book so far. Only about 50 pages in, and it is really good.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    got my preordered Under the Dome - Stephen King last week. Started reading it yesterday. Awesome book so far. Only about 50 pages in, and it is really good.

very cool. going to be my next one, just read a piece on the book in the Washington Post.

Right now I am reading Manhood For Amateurs by Michael Chabon
    Flagg wrote:
    Patiently awaiting Under the Dome to show up on the doorstep. Come on FedEx! :x

It's really good. I'm approaching page 200 and really enjoying it.
  • The First Fall Classic, the new book about the 1912 World Series between the Red Sox and Giants.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I bought Under the Dome this weekend. Um, it weighs how much? Fifty pounds?
    Enkidu wrote:
    I bought Under the Dome this weekend. Um, it weighs how much? Fifty pounds?

I always bench press it a little after I finish a reading session, just to keep my pecs up.
  • dadesdades Posts: 322
    Heartfelt by Aiden Smith, about a hibby pretending to be a jambo.Both wank teams but book is quite amusing.
    Will finish tonite then start Bill Bryson, Short History Of The World?? something like that anyway.
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • just started yesterday...
    the almost moon ~ alice sebold.
    she wrote both the lovely bones and lucky, both great reads. this thus far, rather disturbing :? ...and yet at times, funny... :D . so yea, so far...so good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Stephen King "Cell" and so far I like it ;)

that was a decent book. Very easy, quick read
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    agatha christie- murder on the orient express
  • Just finished Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut. I had heard it ranks up there with SL5 and Cats Cradle... meh not so much. Still a witty and fun book, just not his best work.

Now I'm reading The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell... only about 50 pages in (after probably 5 hours of reading... its a tough read) and I love this stuff. Comparative mythology and the monomyth of the hero within all of us. It was written in 1949 but I've heard many people say it is the most important and most relevant book they've ever read and they continue to revisit it throughout their lives.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    working my way through Under the Dome still. Trying to take my time, but I keep wanting to read. Great book and IMO so far ranks up there with Stephen King's best novels. Unlike his longer novels like It and The Stand (which I love).... there is no wasted space at all. It is very intense throughout (the first quarter at least). The characters are being developed on the fly.... unlike many other of his novels that you have to read dozens of pages of backstory to get back to the plot.

this book will definitely translate into a mini-series and I would be shocked if we dont see one in the next few years.
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Just finished:
    Ishmael - Daniel Quinn (3rd time and I get more out of it each time)
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    (on a bit of an anthropomorphic animal kick there)

And just started:
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!