What book are you reading?

Comments

• katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook by Ben Mezrich.

Fantastic book by a great writer who knows how to tell a non-fiction story with the best writers out there today.

Almost finished then moving onto Nine Lives by Dan Baum.
  • Stephen King "Cell" and so far I like it ;)
    No matter how cold the winter ,there´s a springtime ahead...

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    katellis wrote:
    the secret history-donna tartt

:clap:

so... how far into it are you? and what do you think?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Hocus Pocus - Vonnegut

typical Vonnegut: absurd and hilarious story and social commentary
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Stephen King "Cell" and so far I like it ;)
    i love that book! xD He is a great writer.

I wanna pick up that book Ed was talking about.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    katellis wrote:
    katellis wrote:
    the secret history-donna tartt

:clap:

so... how far into it are you? and what do you think?

im like 2/3 through so dont ruin the ending! its good but uh .. disturbing?

yeah it was disturbing but excellent. what do you think of bunny?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Well, I finally finished my dissertation so for the last month I have been absolutely devouring books. It's been kind of frightening actually. I have always loved Vampire and supernatural-related fiction, so even though I don't fit the demographic of these books I decided to read them anyway. The Twilight series (in two and a half days, with occasional stops for sleeping ;) ); The Host by Stephanie Meyer; The Vampire Diaries (Twilight is a total rip-off, really makes me wonder why L J Smith hasn't sued); the Night World Sagas by L J Smith, and The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Overall, I have to say no one does vampires as sexily as Anne Rice.

Other stuff I've been reading or have read: The Godspeaker Triliogy by Karen Miller; Lord Byron - Selected Poems; Albert Camus L'Etranger and finally, I am re-reading the first three DragonLance Chronicles for the millionth time.

Could anyone recommend some great fantasy/sci-fi literature.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Could anyone recommend some great fantasy/sci-fi literature.

I assume you've read Douglas Adams? (Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Restaurant at the End of the Universe, etc). If not, start there.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. Illuminatus! is maybe my favorite of all time, part of my own review; A satirical look at conspiracy theories, some of which may not actually be satire – but that is left up to the reader to decide. This book plays with subjects such as metaphysics, discordian philosophy, the Goddess Eris (goddess of chaos), and of course drugs and sex – all while leading the reader on a hunt for the illuminati’s true members, ideals and goals (or do they even exist at all?). Like a bad trip, this book will give you a sense that you have it all figured out, then everything is torn apart and boundaries are not only torn down but are deconstructed completely, leaving you looking for at least one bedrock principle to grasp on to and maintain sanity.

Schrodinger's Cat, also by Robert Anton Wilson. Schrodinger's Cat has been called "the most realistic sci-fi book of all time." If you consider yourself a fan of sci-fi books, this is a MUST read.

In regards to a "fantasy" novel, I'd go with Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. If that book isn't fantastical, I don't know what is.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Could anyone recommend some great fantasy/sci-fi literature.

I assume you've read Douglas Adams? (Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Restaurant at the End of the Universe, etc). If not, start there.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. Illuminatus! is maybe my favorite of all time, part of my own review; A satirical look at conspiracy theories, some of which may not actually be satire – but that is left up to the reader to decide. This book plays with subjects such as metaphysics, discordian philosophy, the Goddess Eris (goddess of chaos), and of course drugs and sex – all while leading the reader on a hunt for the illuminati’s true members, ideals and goals (or do they even exist at all?). Like a bad trip, this book will give you a sense that you have it all figured out, then everything is torn apart and boundaries are not only torn down but are deconstructed completely, leaving you looking for at least one bedrock principle to grasp on to and maintain sanity.

Schrodinger's Cat, also by Robert Anton Wilson. Schrodinger's Cat has been called "the most realistic sci-fi book of all time." If you consider yourself a fan of sci-fi books, this is a MUST read.

In regards to a "fantasy" novel, I'd go with Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. If that book isn't fantastical, I don't know what is.

Thank you! They all sound great. Off to the bookstore I go . . .
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • 3/4 way into robyn youngs requiem think its got a diferent title in the usa..book 3 of 3 first two where beter.

last book was dan browns lost symbol which was poor :(
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Could anyone recommend some great fantasy/sci-fi literature.

This might be a little off the track, but it is fantasy, Terry Pratchetts Discworld books are brilliant.
  • Business Government and Society
    Organization Behavior
    Concepts of Marketing
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

Just finished Jon Krakauers new one over the weekend. Very emotional.
    GoiMTvP.gif

Is that the Pat Tillman book?

I have that in my Q at the library. I love Krakauers work.

Is that the Pat Tillman book?

I have that in my Q at the library. I love Krakauers work.

Yeah, it's quite read. Ed mentioned it at the LA4 show and picked it up at the Airport Bookshop. Nothing suprising as far as the government operates but it showed how someone who was so interested in patriotism and the "American Way" can be duped.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I recently finished the Krakauer book and it just breaks your heart. And doesn't it make you confused about sending more troops into Afghanistan or not? After reading that book part of me thinks yes, of course send more troops, but part of me thinks it's so fucked up already - what's the point?

Was Pat Tillman's birthday yesterday? So sad.
  • would like to be reading The Old Leather Man book, but my library didn't have it. will probably buy it for Christmas. so I picked up a different book instead--"Here Today, Gone to Maui" by Carol Snow. will start reading it tonight. anyone else read this chick book? what did you think?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Zen and the art of running by Larry Shapiro
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • -Buru--Buru- Posts: 1,292
    I finished re-reading these books, in the last couple of weeks:

Animal Farm - George Orwell
    1984 - George Orwell
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Utopia - Thomas More

And I am re-reading Plato's Republic now.
    My next book will probably be some utter nonsense, to compensate. :roll: :lol:

Or I might reread The Picture of Dorian Gray, because I love that book.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Neil Gaiman's Sandman Graphic Novel's

Yes they are comic books, no i don't care if you tease me about it ;)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

some of the best books are graphic novels...v for vendetta 300 sin city watchmen..and those are the film ones everyone will know and not the best..killing joke is stunning ..plastic forks in my favourite
  • i'm finally on to persuasion ~ jane austen...her last novel. i have read all the others, in consecutive order of when they were written. once i finish this one up, i'll have completed the austen sextet! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    -Buru- wrote:
    I finished re-reading these books, in the last couple of weeks:

Animal Farm - George Orwell
    1984 - George Orwell
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Utopia - Thomas More

And I am re-reading Plato's Republic now.
    My next book will probably be some utter nonsense, to compensate. :roll: :lol:

Or I might reread The Picture of Dorian Gray, because I love that book.

oscar wilde is awesome :)

i have brave new world on my shelf right now waiting to be read. i'm not sure how i never read it before. but i havent had time to read a book in more than 2 months :(
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    intodeep wrote:

i wish i got into those more. i read watchmen and the preacher series (awesome stuff), but i never really give the art the attention it deserves, so it's just like reading a short novel for me. so i feel like i shouldn't bother. but not many people write fiction novels quite like the comics.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm going to buy "Under the Dome" by Stephen King tonight and start reading that. I am about halfway through "Dracula" right now and it is really good!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Zen and the art of running by Larry Shapiro

Cool, let me know how it goes.

Have you read Born to Run by McDougall yet?

If not do so.
  • i'm finally on to persuasion ~ jane austen...her last novel. i have read all the others, in consecutive order of when they were written. once i finish this one up, i'll have completed the austen sextet! :mrgreen:

she only wrote a total of 6? I thought she had more than that.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    rrivers wrote:
    I'm going to buy "Under the Dome" by Stephen King tonight and start reading that. I am about halfway through "Dracula" right now and it is really good!

I've just begun reading it. It's very...umm...King so far.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks