What book are you reading?

Comments

• g under p wrote:
    I finally got around to picking up a copy of Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins....

Great eye opening book.

Peace
    Definitely. I've watched extensive interview footage on youtube in which he covers pretty much the entire book...but it's easier to absorb when read in-depth.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    still reading the secret history by donna tartt. and im loving it...still. shoulda read it years ago. :mrgreen:

A friend at work recommended that book to me.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Elephants On Acid and Other Bizarre Experiments by Alex Boese. :mrgreen:

got it from Heathrow for some light reading, aswell as another book by the same author (Hippo Eats Dwarf!). I'm liking it so far, I know nothing about science but it doesn't matter. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Print is dead

No that's your brain.

I'm reading The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald

One I finished earlier this summer is Wild Trees by Richard Preston
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm desperate to read something I'll love. I just finished AWAIT YOUR REPLY by Dan Chaon and it was good, but I didn't fall in love with it.
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    The Virgin Suicides - Jeffery Eugenides
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

and

The Chronicles of Narnia (all of the CS Lewis series)

I flop back & forth between the two....
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'River Town - Two Years on the Yangtze'

13772226.JPG
  • Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg

I've read it. Funny book.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rrivers wrote:
    still reading the secret history by donna tartt. and im loving it...still. shoulda read it years ago. :mrgreen:

A friend at work recommended that book to me.

well.. are you gonna read it??? i finished it yesterday and am now onto dr zhivago.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

http://www.juliascheeres.com/
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Not sure if anyone has heard of this but on Sept. 15th Jon Krakauer (author of Into The Wild) has a book coming out on Pat Tillman and it looks great.

I am currently reading "Stealing Myspace: The Battle To Control The Most Powerful Website In America" by Julia Angwin. I know it does not sound very interesting and I am reading it mostly for work purposes but it is pretty interesting.
    Eric Clapton autobiography. Great read. I cant put it down. Almost done.

I loved it. Read it about a year ago and loved every page.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The Tenth Insight by James Redfield
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Posts: 2,489
    A Woman in Berlin - Anonymous
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not sure if anyone has heard of this but on Sept. 15th Jon Krakauer (author of Into The Wild) has a book coming out on Pat Tillman and it looks great.

I am currently reading "Stealing Myspace: The Battle To Control The Most Powerful Website In America" by Julia Angwin. I know it does not sound very interesting and I am reading it mostly for work purposes but it is pretty interesting.

Yup, I've been waiting since last YEAR for this book to be released. There was a problem with the publisher and Krakauer held back on releasing it. Cannot WAIT to read it! He's my all-time favorite author!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yup, I've been waiting since last YEAR for this book to be released. There was a problem with the publisher and Krakauer held back on releasing it. Cannot WAIT to read it! He's my all-time favorite author!
    I'm looking forward to that one too. I like his stuff and I'll be interested to see what he has to say.

Last year I read the book that was written by Pat Tillman's mother, Boots on the Ground by Dusk. It was not an easy read. His family has experienced so much sadness, frustration, and anger. They were lied to repeatedly and still don't have all the answer's about their son's death. His mother has heard from numerous families who lost a son or daughter under questionable circumstances in Iraq or Afghanistan and she is painfully aware that the only reason her family has been able to investigate Pat's death is because he was a former NFL player. I read the book at the suggestion of a friend of mine, whose son played intramural soccer with Pat Tillman when they were in elementary and junior high school.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm looking forward to that one too. I like his stuff and I'll be interested to see what he has to say.

Last year I read the book that was written by Pat Tillman's mother, Boots on the Ground by Dusk. It was not an easy read. His family has experienced so much sadness, frustration, and anger. They were lied to repeatedly and still don't have all the answer's about their son's death. His mother has heard from numerous families who lost a son or daughter under questionable circumstances in Iraq or Afghanistan and she is painfully aware that the only reason her family has been able to investigate Pat's death is because he was a former NFL player. I read the book at the suggestion of a friend of mine, whose son played intramural soccer with Pat Tillman when they were in elementary and junior high school.

Thanks for the heads up on the book by his mother. I will defintely be grabbing that up today. It was a terrible situation they were put in.

I also didn't realized it was held back from being released. Really looking forward to it!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Krakauer is an outstanding author.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • PJSerf wrote:
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

i read that one a couple months ago. good stuff.
  • Brida, by Paulo Coelho.
    Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable--LBC
  • Doc Holliday:The Life and the Legend.

Gary L. Roberts
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
    Not to change the topic, it is about an upcoming book release.

Todd Drew, a Yankees blogger who passed away before this season is having one of his blog entries published in this year's edition of "The Best American Sports Writing" (a great series and highly recommended for anyone who likes sports writing). It is only the second time a blog entry has been published in the series. Even if you don't like the Yankees check out the piece linked to below that will be published:

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/11/ ... memory-53/

And below is his last entry before he passed...

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/12/ ... ll-and-me/

Very happy day to many Yankees faithful! Todd was a fixture at the old stadium and a brilliant writer.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not to change the topic, it is about an upcoming book release.

Todd Drew, a Yankees blogger who passed away before this season is having one of his blog entries published in this year's edition of "The Best American Sports Writing" (a great series and highly recommended for anyone who likes sports writing). It is only the second time a blog entry has been published in the series. Even if you don't like the Yankees check out the piece linked to below that will be published:

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/11/ ... memory-53/

And below is his last entry before he passed...

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/12/ ... ll-and-me/

Very happy day to many Yankees faithful! Todd was a fixture at the old stadium and a brilliant writer.
    Nice.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    i'm ready 2 music bios right now..
    "Shakey" (Neil Young)---probably my 6th or 7th read
    & "Elliott Smith & The Big Nothing"--my first read
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    iluvcats wrote:
    i've always liked time travel movies...

I understand that the book the time traveler's wife is better than the movie. I read a movie review and the reviewer found it creepy, like his mom was killed when he was 6 and he meets her when he is grown and she LIKES him....not knowing he is her son. That sounds like back to the future....michael j. fox met his mom in the fifties and she got a crush on him when he stayed at their house and she thought his name was Calvin Klein (his underware.)

the title says it all. the time travellers wife.

I saw the movie and I finished the audio book. I don't get your reply STILL! In the book toward the end, she said, "I am the time traveler now." Was she insane?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i'm ready 2 music bios right now..
    "Shakey" (Neil Young)---probably my 6th or 7th read
    & "Elliott Smith & The Big Nothing"--my first read

The next book I read WILL be Shakey I have decided....I must be good considering your on number 6 or 7?

Right now though, I am reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" and it is funny as hell! Lovin' this book.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2