What book are you reading?

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    zenith wrote:

I've only ever read one King novel, the Gunslinger. I dug it, but don't know if I have the heart to tackle the rest of that Dark Tower series. I hear it kinda drops off at the end. But I have been thinking lately about getting the stand and reading that. Any thoughts?

the dark tower series is great - song of susannah is a bit of a hard slog i think - but the rest are amazing, and the ending is great.

the stand is a must read as a tie in for the dark tower - as is eyes of the dragon. in fact, an awful lot of kings books are twisted in amongst each other. he's a genious.

I may go pick up the Stand first then. If I dig that then I'll figure I'm ok for King epics. I don't know what I'm worried about, I've read all of George RR Martin's Ice and Fire books, and there's 4 of those at about 1000 pages each.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Print is dead
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PaigePaige Posts: 365
    Finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies last week -- fun read, although it kind of peters in the last third (not the Austen content, of course!)

Now I'm reading Julie and Julia. She just mentioned Meryl Streep last chapter, which is disorienting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Print is dead

if thats true then ive got an awful lot of corpses lying around my house.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PaigePaige Posts: 365
    Started reading Frozen Thames, which is pretty interesting. The Thames has frozen over 40 times and the author wrote a little vignette (fictional, but based in fact) about each time.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    Just started That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. So far, so good. I love this guy's books. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I'm reading "Oryx and Crake" It's interesting but I'm not sure if I like it yet. I'm about a quarter through
    right now im primarily reading donna tartts the secret history and im fucking loving it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    zenith wrote:

I've only ever read one King novel, the Gunslinger. I dug it, but don't know if I have the heart to tackle the rest of that Dark Tower series. I hear it kinda drops off at the end. But I have been thinking lately about getting the stand and reading that. Any thoughts?

the dark tower series is great - song of susannah is a bit of a hard slog i think - but the rest are amazing, and the ending is great.

the stand is a must read as a tie in for the dark tower - as is eyes of the dragon. in fact, an awful lot of kings books are twisted in amongst each other. he's a genious.

I may go pick up the Stand first then. If I dig that then I'll figure I'm ok for King epics. I don't know what I'm worried about, I've read all of George RR Martin's Ice and Fire books, and there's 4 of those at about 1000 pages each.

oh man, read The Stand.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "The Flight of the Iguana" by David Quammen

Got to agree with "The Stand"....great book, but not as good as Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" :twisted:

If anyone out there is a horror fan, I would like to suggest "The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard"....the man can capture an atmosphere as well, if not better than any modern writer. These stories were written in the late 1920's and early 1930's. "Pigeons from Hell", a story from the collection, is called the best horror story of the 20th century by Stephen King. Howard is best noted as the creator of Conan the Barbarian.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    The Last Lecture

and the New York City Teacher's Union contract.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    MayDay10 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I had a big literary vacation and read 2 Vonnegut novels (Sirens of Titan and Breakfast of Champions), Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (I just don't get the hype with this guy) and Don Delillo's Underworld (pretty cool, though exhaustively long).

Now I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks. This book is incredible. It's about zombies, but it's far smarter than it has any right to be. A very funny, totally eerie, and surprisingly moving critique of our culture, politics, and everything else, all presented in humane and personal stories of terror and survival in the face of an epidemic. It's the most I've enjoyed a novel in a long time.

You are right that the Dark Tower series drops off at the end. There are great, really cool parts throughout the whole series but I don't know if I would recommend it.

If you like World War Z, a friend of a friend wrote a fun zombie book called Breathers. His name is SG Browne.

But before you do anything else, drop everything and read The Stand. One of my favorite books ever!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    zenith wrote:

King is a genius and The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon are great. The ending of The Dark Tower is beyond lame, however.
    [/quote]

oh man, read The Stand.[/quote]

Really, it can't be said enough.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    libragirl wrote:
    Awesome book! I love how visual and vivd Oscar Wilde's writing style was.

I'm currently reading a book for school. Sucks.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Andromeda Strain by Crichton
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Return of the King, by Tolkien for probably the 3rd or 4th time. And concurrently watching the movie and all the making of features on the DVD :D
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    libragirl wrote:

I read that one in middle school and back then seeing original movie in black and white was one of the scariest movies I ever saw at the time.

I'm reading NEMESIS...The Last Days Of The American Republic by Chalmers Johnson

Last of his trilogy The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy and the End of the Republic and Blowback

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

still reading the secret history by donna tartt. and im loving it...still. shoulda read it years ago. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I just finished "best friends forever" by jennifer weiner (audio book.) It was funny (and free courtesy of my library.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Eric Clapton autobiography. Great read. I cant put it down. Almost done.
  • I just purchased 3 new books yesterday to take on vacation:

"Pride and Predjudice and Zombies",
    "A Confederacy of Dunces",
    and "Darker Than Dead"

Any thoughts on which to start on first?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    on approx page 410 of Barbara Walters Audition, hoping to finish it this weekend
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • The Girl Who Played With Fire -Stieg Larsson

First one was great.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Girl Who Played With Fire -Stieg Larsson

First one was great.

I just picked up the first one, look forward to reading it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    The Girl Who Played With Fire -Stieg Larsson

First one was great.

I just picked up the first one, look forward to reading it

Takes a bit to get into it. Once you are in 100 pages, you DON'T put it down.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • The 5th Horseman, James Patterson
  • I finally got around to picking up a copy of Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins....
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I finally got around to picking up a copy of Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins....

Great eye opening book.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)