What book are you reading?

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    rcs wrote:
    Diary - Chuck Palahniuk

Not at all like his other books I've read. Started slow but I'm starting to get intrigued. Reminds me a bit of Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. Not sure why.

I just bought Choke, it will be my next book to read
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    reading Audition by Barbara Walters
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Re-reading Hope For The Flowers by Trina Paulus
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    The Plague.

It's chilling so far...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    On cd 2 of the audio book "the time traveler's wife". wished they would have found a nicer voice for the man's part. hope this book gets better. (listen while i drive 1 hour to work). it's really confusing, the time traveler meets/talks to the younger version of himself. it seems to be more about him than his wife, so far...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    iluvcats wrote:
    On cd 2 of the audio book "the time traveler's wife". wished they would have found a nicer voice for the man's part. hope this book gets better. (listen while i drive 1 hour to work). it's really confusing, the time traveler meets/talks to the younger version of himself. it seems to be more about him than his wife, so far...

I had seen this book in bookstores for a long time and it was intriguing based on the title. Then I saw the trailer for the movie and it was exactly what the title says ie guy time travels and shows up and disappears randomly. Long story short, I am no longer interested in it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I had seen this book in bookstores for a long time and it was intriguing based on the title. Then I saw the trailer for the movie and it was exactly what the title says ie guy time travels and shows up and disappears randomly. Long story short, I am no longer interested in it.

i've always liked time travel movies...

I understand that the book the time traveler's wife is better than the movie. I read a movie review and the reviewer found it creepy, like his mom was killed when he was 6 and he meets her when he is grown and she LIKES him....not knowing he is her son. That sounds like back to the future....michael j. fox met his mom in the fifties and she got a crush on him when he stayed at their house and she thought his name was Calvin Klein (his underware.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mbangel10 wrote:
    I just picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at the bookstore. I'm looking forward to hopefully being amused.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Z ... 1594743347

my sister-in-law went to school with that author--Seth I think is the first name.
  • Inside Delta Force, by Eric Haney...great read!!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    iluvcats wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I understand that the book the time traveler's wife is better than the movie. I read a movie review and the reviewer found it creepy, like his mom was killed when he was 6 and he meets her when he is grown and she LIKES him....not knowing he is her son. That sounds like back to the future....michael j. fox met his mom in the fifties and she got a crush on him when he stayed at their house and she thought his name was Calvin Klein (his underware.)

I like time traveler movies too. Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies of all time. It may be a good book and/or movie, but the trailer for the movie just turned me off.
    I really enjoyed the book of the Time Traveler's Wife
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Im almost halfway through Time Travelers Wife.
    Its pretty good so far. But I have to say I hope there is more of a twist than what is going on so far.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    I'm reading the last book of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Series. Great triologie with exellent characters ! Lisbeth Salander is the best fictional person ever, it's a masterpiece !!!
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Finished Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (I strongly recommend it!)

Started American Pie http://www.harpercollins.com/author/authorExtra.aspx?isbn13=9780060957322&displayType=readingGuide
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    iluvcats wrote:

the title says it all. the time travellers wife.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    The New Stephen King book coming out this Fall sounds PHENOMENAL
    I understand that not everything we read online is true, but the time traveler's wife (and the author, why she wrote it) is explained on wikipedia. Great spoiler. I'm on cd 3 or 4 now of the audio book.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    MayDay10 wrote:

I read a preview of it and it did sound intriguing

The Dome or something, right?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    edited August 2009
    smarchee wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Its called "Under the Dome"

its supposed to be a real throwback for him. An epic book (draft was 1,500 pages). Apparently its a project he attempted in the 80's but it was too grand for him to tackle at the time. Apparently there is something like 100 characters and some of them are amongst the most evil in the King library. I have heard it has more to do with Society in crisis, much like The Stand. Here is an official synopsis:
    On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

Its supposed to come out November 10th, and I may pre-order it.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    wow, 100 characters and an epic story

going to pick that up the day it comes out
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • The Pat Tillman/Jon Krakauer book is coming out soon, true?
    smarchee wrote:
    wow, 100 characters and an epic story

going to pick that up the day it comes out

Yeah I am really excited about it too. But I am excited every time King comes out with a book. I have been avoiding what it's about so I can go in fresh.
    The Pat Tillman/Jon Krakauer book is coming out soon, true?

I was going to say I heard it was put off indefintley but looks like it's coming out 9/15, right before "Backspacer"!

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Men-Win-Glo ... 283&sr=1-1
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I'm currently reading "The Birthing House" by Christopher Ransom, whom I believe is a member of The Pit. I remember something a while back about someone posting on here about their first novel being published. I belive they said the title of their book was The Birthing House.

Anyways, I've started a whole thread on it if anyone has any info about this mystery.

The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=107253
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    MayDay10 wrote:
    [

its supposed to be a real throwback for him. An epic book (draft was 1,500 pages). Apparently its a project he attempted in the 80's but it was too grand for him to tackle at the time. Apparently there is something like 100 characters and some of them are amongst the most evil in the King library. I have heard it has more to do with Society in crisis, much like The Stand. Here is an official synopsis:
    On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

Sounds like the plot of the "Simpsons Movie" :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    The Voice of Hope by Aung San Suu Kyi
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    database systems ....

is an intensely riveting read :roll:
    impatience is a gift ........
  • StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    Reheated Cabbage by Irvine Welsh
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    MayDay10 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I've only ever read one King novel, the Gunslinger. I dug it, but don't know if I have the heart to tackle the rest of that Dark Tower series. I hear it kinda drops off at the end. But I have been thinking lately about getting the stand and reading that. Any thoughts?

I had a big literary vacation and read 2 Vonnegut novels (Sirens of Titan and Breakfast of Champions), Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (I just don't get the hype with this guy) and Don Delillo's Underworld (pretty cool, though exhaustively long).

Now I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks. This book is incredible. It's about zombies, but it's far smarter than it has any right to be. A very funny, totally eerie, and surprisingly moving critique of our culture, politics, and everything else, all presented in humane and personal stories of terror and survival in the face of an epidemic. It's the most I've enjoyed a novel in a long time.
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191

I've only ever read one King novel, the Gunslinger. I dug it, but don't know if I have the heart to tackle the rest of that Dark Tower series. I hear it kinda drops off at the end. But I have been thinking lately about getting the stand and reading that. Any thoughts?

the dark tower series is great - song of susannah is a bit of a hard slog i think - but the rest are amazing, and the ending is great.

the stand is a must read as a tie in for the dark tower - as is eyes of the dragon. in fact, an awful lot of kings books are twisted in amongst each other. he's a genious.
    impatience is a gift ........