What book are you reading?

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Just started A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Just started A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick.

Oh let me know what it's like :)

I'm reading the second book in the K-PAX Trilogy - 'On a Beam of Light'
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

Oh let me know what it's like :)

I'm reading the second book in the K-PAX Trilogy - 'On a Beam of Light'

Will do. If it's half as good as the film it should be great. Although that being said I was extremely underwhelmed by do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner). Dick can be a rather mediocre writer at times. Big ideas, but doesn't always have the talent to match them.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just started "The Crossroads" by Niccolo Ammaniti.

This guy is going to be a major author.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber is so gorgeous, so lucious that I'm so happy! In fact, I was walking in from my lunch break after reading some of the book, and I was so happy that I gave the brownie that I had been saving for later to a co-worker. I said to him, This book is so gorgeous, I must give you this brownie. In fact, I'm inspired to bake cookies this weekend and bring them into work. I haven't done that for over a year. Ah, life! Such food, such grace, such joy!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    if any of you girls want a fun series, I just got finished with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (One for the money...) Great little books, kinda mindless entertainment...uinless you're from or know the Trenton, NJ area then they are even funnier :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    90 minutes in Heaven by Don Piper
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    if any of you girls want a fun series, I just got finished with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (One for the money...) Great little books, kinda mindless entertainment...uinless you're from or know the Trenton, NJ area then they are even funnier :-)
    #5, and #13 are my favorites :D If I lived next to a real Joe Morelli I would be a happy woman, indeed!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691

Those books are my guilty pleasure. Such enjoyable mindless entertainment. I love the characters, so cute.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I listened to an audio book on cd while I drove to work recently. The Penny by Joyce Meyer.

still did not finish 90 minutes in Heaven.

I have another audio book, The Time Traveler's Wife.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I just read the autobiography on Gary Hart, who was a wrestling manager in the 80s. If you're a hardcore fan, it's up there w/Bret Hart and Mick Foley's books. In my top 5 for wrestling books.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Never read the book, but saw the movie and was very intrigued by it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Reading "Strangers on a Train".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i think over lunch i shall finish the house of mirth - edith wharton. great novel!
    next up, i think i shall read her novel the age of innocence.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by the Kite Runner author
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:

I bawled when I read that book. One of my favourites.
  • I must be getting old. I went from the Gary Hart wrestling book to Eat, Pray, Love or whatever it is. Gilbert is one fruity broad.
  • neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
    Angels & Demons. My cousin said he was disappointed in the ending, the beginning was a little slow-going but the middle has me HOOKED. I hope to not be disappointed like my cousin :|
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    A Promise to Ourselves, A Journey Through Fatherhood and Divorce by Alec Baldwin.
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    smarchee wrote:

loved that book .. wish he'd write another one
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    a little dickens ..
    i'm reading oliver twist 8-)
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Currently flipping between 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Maps & Legends by Michael Chabon.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Supposed to be starting The Golden Notebook for my monthly IRL bookgroup
    (however our next meeting is not being held in Vancouver so guess I will be a no-show):D
    Just finished When you are engulfed in flames by David Sedaris
    and halfway through Dragonfly in Amber by Diane Gabladon
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I just picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at the bookstore. I'm looking forward to hopefully being amused.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Z ... 1594743347
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Diary - Chuck Palahniuk

Not at all like his other books I've read. Started slow but I'm starting to get intrigued. Reminds me a bit of Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. Not sure why.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Ive been reading alot of Phillipa Gregory. She wrote The Other Boleyn Girl. I reccomend them for anyone who likes that sort of historical fiction.
    Just started The Time Travelers Wife.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Russell Brand's "Bookywook". Its hilarious!
  • genevieve wrote:
    Ive been reading alot of Phillipa Gregory. She wrote The Other Boleyn Girl. I reccomend them for anyone who likes that sort of historical fiction.
    Just started The Time Travelers Wife.

Just started The Other Boleyn Girl last night...I've heard nothing but good things about it. This is not my normal read but I figured it was worth a shot. But I just finished the Dexter Series...pretty funny.
    Cloudstreet by Tim Winton - oi! That man can write. I can't understand everything as Australian colloquialims are used, but it's still very good.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    neenerbean wrote:
    Angels & Demons. My cousin said he was disappointed in the ending, the beginning was a little slow-going but the middle has me HOOKED. I hope to not be disappointed like my cousin :|

I'd have to agree with your cousin

hope you like it though :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit