Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    The K-Pax Trilogy.

It's very good.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    The K-Pax Trilogy.

It's very good.

Is that the book(s) that the Kevin Spacey movie is based on? I liked that movie, unlike most of the rest of earth.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm reading Brave New World by Huxley right now, but having a hard time getting into it...usually if I like a book, it will just consume me...but I've had a hard time sticking to books lately.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    "Middlesex" by... I can't remember the author's name right now. Interesting so far but I am probably only fifty pages in.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard" by Robert E. Howard
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Blindness- Jose Saramago
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    milarso wrote:
    Blindness- Jose Saramago

I tried to watch the movie but couldn't get into it.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    "Middlesex" by... I can't remember the author's name right now. Interesting so far but I am probably only fifty pages in.

Jeffrey Eugenides. Also wrote the Virgin Suicides. Middlesex is good.
  • Options
    smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    Righteous Porkchop by Nicolette Hahn Niman. I'm only on page 30 or so, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Just started "Atlas Shrugged".
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

In a conference room where I work, someone put this book on the ledge of a big dry erase board and wrote "If you think your life's bad, read this" with an arrow pointing to "Atlas Shrugged".
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

In a conference room where I work, someone put this book on the ledge of a big dry erase board and wrote "If you think your life's bad, read this" with an arrow pointing to "Atlas Shrugged".

How inticing. Did you pick it up and start to read it? There would've been no hesitation on my part.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

How inticing. Did you pick it up and start to read it? There would've been no hesitation on my part.

I thought about it, but then remembered the 30 books at home to read that I have!
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I'm currently reading book 3 of the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. I was able to download the first one free on my kindle. I was skeptical about reading it but it was free..lol. Now I'm addicted to them.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

Heavy reading. Flying to Japan Monday and this will keep me busy. The font is like a 1. ;)
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

The font is like a 1. ;)

That made me laugh, probably because it's true. :D Have a good trip!
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Currently working on a book about Saturday Night Live called "Saturday Night"
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:

I read this: http://www.amazon.com/Live-New-York-Unc ... 918&sr=8-1

It's an oral history of SNL and was really good.
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    rrivers wrote:
    Hartydog wrote:

I have that checked out from the library and am about to start it. Looking forward to it.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Hartydog wrote:

I have that checked out from the library and am about to start it. Looking forward to it.

You'll enjoy it. It's a fast read and you really get to see what whiners these people are!
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691

Jeffrey Eugenides. Also wrote the Virgin Suicides. Middlesex is good.

I enjoyed it. Very haunting.

I am re reading a Bill Bryson book. He is HILARIOUS.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i've got a pile of *classics* at home that i have never gotten around to.....and i am starting today.

first up:

heart of darkness - joseph conrad
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Wilds wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

Heavy reading. Flying to Japan Monday and this will keep me busy. The font is like a 1. ;)
    that book took me 6 months to read!!! :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I'm reading, The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber

Ones that I would recommend that I finished recently

My Life in France - Julia Child
    The Tenth Muse - Judith Jones
    Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
    The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield

I didn't like The Sharper the Knife the Less you Cry and The Maytrees

I've read 12 trade paperbacks within the past 2 months. It's funny because last week I was so depressed because I didn't have time to work out. Then I logged a book I read into my book logs, reviewed how many books I recently read, and had a V8 moment! Aha! No wonder I don't have time.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    i've got a pile of *classics* at home that i have never gotten around to.....and i am starting today.

first up:

heart of darkness - joseph conrad
    Oh....don't you mean "Apocalypse Now"? :lol:;)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    Travesuras de la Niña Mala (The bad girl) - Mario Vargas Llosa

For the ones who've read "Madame Bovary" by Flaubert, it is sort of like its Peruvian version
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    bee_boy wrote:
    Travesuras de la Niña Mala (The bad girl) - Mario Vargas Llosa

For the ones who've read "Madame Bovary" by Flaubert, it is sort of like its Peruvian version

interesting!
    i LOVE madame bovary, and i jusr recently reread it. still love it.

tybird wrote:
    Oh....don't you mean "Apocalypse Now"?

you tryin' to ruin the story for me? ;) :twisted: :mrgreen:

do you know i have never read any of the books by jane austen? :oops:
    as i female i feel remiss admitting this. ;) i know i have shamed myself in front of ms. haiku. :P
    seriously tho, i've seen just about every film made of her work, and yet...never read em. right amongst a lot of the other classics on my shelves. amazing too....i have read so many classics....there are just so damn many of em! :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Inside the Kingdom by Carmen bin Laden (yes, THAT bin laden)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    well I'm out of Nelson DeMille wish he'd write faster
    was thinking of getting "The Creature From Jekyll Island" anyone read it here?