Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    ORIGINAL ILLUSTRATED SHERLOCK HOLMES 37 Short Stories and a Complete Novel from the Strand Magazine
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i am on a voracious reading stint this year...averaging a book a week. i think that even blows away my college days....:D
    i just started on monday 100 years of solitude ~ gabriel garcia marquez
    finished up love in the time of cholera by him last week......really enjoyed it, his style.....and this new book, feeling the same.....

earlier i finished up all the works by paolo coelho and also anne tyler.
    next on my horizon is the master and margarita.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Right now reading "Breathers" by S.G. Browne
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    A book and author mentioned numerous times in the book that I am currently reading. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    A book and author mentioned numerous times in the book that I am currently reading. :twisted:

in this....

"Bananas: How the United Fruit Company Shaped the World" by Peter Chapman

:?:
    interesting...i'd not necessarily see the connection there......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    tybird wrote:

in this....

"Bananas: How the United Fruit Company Shaped the World" by Peter Chapman

:?:
    interesting...i'd not necessarily see the connection there......
    That's the one...from my book's listing of characters, "Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Nobel-Prize winning author, born in the company's (United Fruit) Colombian banana zone near the time of the 1928 Santa Marta Massacre."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i am on a voracious reading stint this year...averaging a book a week. i think that even blows away my college days....:D
    finished up love in the time of cholera by him last week......really enjoyed it, his style.....and this new book, feeling the same.....

earlier i finished up all the works by paolo coelho and also anne tyler.
    next on my horizon is the master and margarita.

Marquez is incredible. Both of those books are excellent. I read Master and the Margarita years ago and really enjoyed it at the time, though I can't remember anything about it now, hehe.

I just finished what might be my new all-time fav book (displacing Catch-22). It's 'Brothers K' by David James Duncan. About family, baseball, Vietnam, religion, politics, the counterculture... it's got everything!

Now I'm on to something a bit lighter: Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' (formerly Ten Little Indians, which I guess is a little un-pc now).
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    That's the one...from my book's listing of characters, "Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Nobel-Prize winning author, born in the company's (United Fruit) Colombian banana zone near the time of the 1928 Santa Marta Massacre."

hahahahaha...what a tie-in!
    :mrgreen:
    Marquez is incredible. Both of those books are excellent. I read Master and the Margarita years ago and really enjoyed it at the time, though I can't remember anything about it now, hehe.

I just finished what might be my new all-time fav book (displacing Catch-22). It's 'Brothers K' by David James Duncan. About family, baseball, Vietnam, religion, politics, the counterculture... it's got everything!

Now I'm on to something a bit lighter: Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' (formerly Ten Little Indians, which I guess is a little un-pc now).

i've always heard such....bought love in the time of cholera ages ago, and then i went and saw the movie with javier bardem before reading....bad idea. ;) thus i held off reading until i could 'forget' the movie enough. glad i did. a colleague of mine has recommended his newest work, said it's a slim book but a great read.....but i cannot remember the title at the moment. :oops:

and it's funny, i used to only read the *classics* and such, only got into contemporary writers say in the past 10 years or so....and yet still there are sooooooooo MANY 'classics' i've yet to read too. so many books, so little time!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    tybird wrote:

hahahahaha...what a tie-in!
    :mrgreen:

i've always heard such....bought love in the time of cholera ages ago, and then i went and saw the movie with javier bardem before reading....bad idea. ;) thus i held off reading until i could 'forget' the movie enough. glad i did. a colleague of mine has recommended his newest work, said it's a slim book but a great read.....but i cannot remember the title at the moment. :oops:

and it's funny, i used to only read the *classics* and such, only got into contemporary writers say in the past 10 years or so....and yet still there are sooooooooo MANY 'classics' i've yet to read too. so many books, so little time!

Yeah, I work harder on breaks and vacations than I did in school to "catch up" on books I bought but hadn't read yet ;) I have ambitious syllabi. I read enough of the classics in school to not feel much interest in them anymore. Truth be told, most of my reading anymore is pretty light... lots of hard-boiled detective novels and a healthy dose of fantasy. I read for escape mostly now. After the uber-reality of legal reading, I want something as undemanding escapist as possible!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    When Smoke Ran Like Water by Devra Davis
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Just finished "When the Air Hits Your Brain" by Frank Vertosick. It's a really interesting and moving memoir about the author's residency in neurosurgery.

Next on the list is "The Hot Zone"

Yes. I am a total dork.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Just finished "When the Air Hits Your Brain" by Frank Vertosick. It's a really interesting and moving memoir about the author's residency in neurosurgery.

Yes. I am a total dork.

By Preston? The one about ebola? It scared the crap out of me as a kid!

I finished my Agath Christie, great, classic little whodunit on an isolated island. Fun way to spend the afternoon. Now I'm reading 'Already Dead' by Charlie Huston. It's supposed to be a kind of vampire/detective noir novel. I've heard good things.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443

Yes. I am a total dork.

By Preston? The one about ebola? It scared the crap out of me as a kid!

Yep! I had to read "Six Modern Plagues and How We Are Causing Them" for my infectious disease ecology class last semester.
    :shock:
    So..um.. yeah it'll still probably give me nightmares. :lol:
    I had to read excerpts for other classes... the guy on the plane...OMG.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    "Bran Mak Morn, The Last King" by Robert E. Howard....like Soulsinging, I am mixing in a bunch of fun reading with the hard stuff....and hitting the classics.
  • Options
    i still have kept up with, overall, my book a week this year. incredible. i just finished up the master and margarita today...amazing! i also managed to start and finish, today, the year of magical thinking ~ joan didion.....sooo poignant and touching, well written!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    There was a thread on here about non-fiction books to read... Tybird recommended (among others) "King Leopold's Ghost" and "The Scramble for Africa." They are both amazing, not exactly easy reading, but really really good.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403
    Four Past Midnight--Stephen King

i haven't read these novelas in quite some time. good reading!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    A Feast for Crows- George RR Martin... it's a big one, but then I'm caught up on the series.

also reading:

The barbri Multistate Testing Practice Questions, volume 1 :(
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Enkidu wrote:
    There was a thread on here about non-fiction books to read... Tybird recommended (among others) "King Leopold's Ghost" and "The Scramble for Africa." They are both amazing, not exactly easy reading, but really really good.

I've had my eye on that King Leopolds Ghost book. I may get myself a copy soon.
  • Options
    I'm reading two books at the moment: 'The Letters of Vincent van Gogh', and 'Selected Poems of Li Po and Tu Fu'.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    the story of the little mole who went in search of whodunit
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Just finished "Rebecca" and "The Film Club", a fast read about a guy who let's his son drop out of high school as long as he watches 3 movies a week with him.

Now working on "Gone with the Wind" and "Strangers on a Train".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Frank Rich
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Mystic River.

I got it from a resident at the nursing home. Then I'm gonna get the movie and watch it with her.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    I just finished "The Rule of Four". I have been on a reading frenzy. I have already read two books this week and I just finished a David Sedaris book on the weekend. This whole broken wrist and no tv or internet thing is certainly helping me catch up on my reading.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    i couldn't find this thread the other day!

pillars of the earth.
    good book even thou it weighs a ton.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    i couldn't find this thread the other day!

pillars of the earth.
    good book even thou it weighs a ton.

great book. You should check out the sequel.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    i probably will. :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Just finished Breakfast of Champions (Vonnegut).

Just started All the Pretty Horses (Cormac Mccarthy)
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    craigb wrote:
    Just started All the Pretty Horses (Cormac Mccarthy)

I've read that. Very good book.

'The Crossing' is also fucking great, as is 'Blood Meridian'.