Zsuzsa Bank - The Swimmer
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Jean Genet - The Declared Enemy: Texts and Interviews

declared-enemy-texts-interviews-jean-genet-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Jean Genet (1910-1986), poet, novelist, playwright, and political essayist, was one of the most significant French writers of the twentieth century. His work, much of it considered scandalous when it first appeared, is now placed among the classics of modern literature and has been translated and performed throughout the world.

This posthumous work brings together articles, interviews, statements, prefaces, manifestos, and speeches dating from 1964 to 1985 (just before Genet's death in 1986). These texts bear witness to the many political causes and groups with which Genet felt an affinity, including May ’68 and the treatment of immigrants in France, but especially the Black Panthers and the Palestinians. We follow him from the Chicago Democratic Convention (where he met William Burroughs and Alan Ginsberg) to Yale University, where he gave the famous May Day Speech in support of the Black Panthers, to Jordan and the Palestinian camps. Along the way, Genet finds allies (George Jackson, Angela Davis, Leyla Shahid, Tahar Ben Jelloun). And, of course, enemies.

Between passionate enmity and passionate affinity, Genet speaks for a politics of protest, with an uncompromising outrage that, today, might seem on the verge of being forgotten.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Jean Genet - The Declared Enemy: Texts and Interviews

i will probably check this out, thanks for sharing!
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just finished Michael Robotham's Bleed For Me... I burned through this book in 4 days... I like his style and the way he uses different characters to lead each book, granted some have repeated but it will happen. A good crime thriller series based in surrounding London area near Bristol.

I'm thinking of switching gears and starting Patrick DeWitt's The Sisters Brothers...
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffany DeBartolo; if you haven't read it, its like the perfect rock n roll romancey book. Its soo good I just finished it a second time!

I feel like I've maybe posted about it before but its seriously Great! She has another great book as well, God Shaped Hole.

Highly, HIghly, Highly recommended!
    'You know time is long, and life is short.
    Begin to live while you still can.'

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • Options
    Just started reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." So far, so good. I also am reading some Kafka, who has been on my "to read" list for a long time.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Just started reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." So far, so good. I also am reading some Kafka, who has been on my "to read" list for a long time.

Do you know somebody with autism?
  • Options
    Rollings wrote:

Do you know somebody with autism?

I actually do. My son used to take OT and speech therapy, most of the kids there were autistic (not my son, he just was a little behind developing and has always been). I've also been around autistic kids in a school setting. I really enjoy them, they are cool kids. Many of them are truly like the main character in the book (or Sheldon on Big Bang). I also find autism very interesting. I personally have thought about getting the additional classes I would need so I can teach resource classes. On another note, I find it funny that autistic kids are often put into social skills classes as part of their therapy. I think that those classes should be implemented into regular education for all kids. We have students coming out of school that cannot interact properly with other individuals at a basic level for functioning in everyday society. Well, that is my soap box for the day. :)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    Survivor... Pahulniuk (or however you spell it)

only about 15 pages in (started it last night) but so far so good.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    Think and Grow Rich - Napolean Hill (for the 3rd time)
    Lost Humanity: The Mythology and Themes of Lost - Pearson Moore

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy today.
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    In Our Time Hemingway
  • Options
    Just started The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano yesterday evening. Having only read about 40 pages, I already feel I am being sucked in, into what possibly could turn out to be an emotionally crushing experience. ..
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Survivor... Pahulniuk (or however you spell it)

only about 15 pages in (started it last night) but so far so good.

I like Chuck's stuff...Invisible Monsters was one of my faves (but very strange). I enjoyed Survivor too..the idea of the book being "backwards" is pretty cool.

I'm nearly 600 pages into 11/22/63 and still loving it!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    paint it black by janet finch. pretty good!

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    No Country For Old Men

The book isn't always better than the movie!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    the rotter's club by jonathan coe

• Options
    I just started reading The Hunger Games today. It's really good so far...
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    started Nick's Trip - George Pelecanos

Just finished Patrick DeWitt's The Sisters Brothers... it was pretty good, I'm not that into Westerns, but the story was good, thought it could have been better.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Legend of a Suicide by David Vann

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    I'm actually reading Bill Clinton's 2004 biography. I started it in the summer of 2004 but for some reason stopped at page 318 until picking it up again the other day.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm actually reading Bill Clinton's 2004 biography. I started it in the summer of 2004 but for some reason stopped at page 318 until picking it up again the other day.
    How is it?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Just finished up 11/22/63...wow.

I think I'll start Michael J. Fox's "Lucky Man" next...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Just finished Duff McKagan - It's so Easy and other Lies, followed it up with Slash by Slash and now starting Watch You Bleed: The saga of Guns N Roses.

People tell me I get very focused on one thing, I can't see it myself.

Next up W. Axl Rose by Mick Wall
  • Options
    'athropology of an american girl' by hilary thayer hamann. its a little sappy but mainly endearing and well-written!

• Options
    Autumn, David Moody

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    1116-book-review-stephen-king
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton