What book are you reading?

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just finished Bill Bryson's "Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe". I also just received his "A Short History of Nearly Eveything" which I'm about to tackle, but it's a monster. I love anything Bill Bryson and recommend his books to anyone who's not familiar.
    I just love the guy's books. I wish he'd put another travel book together.

I'm reading Michael Connelly's - The Last Coyote. His books are great if you don't want to think too much. I'm tempted to read The Millenium trilogy again afterwards.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Just started Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

one of my all time favorites! that and East of Eden cemented Steinbeck as one of my top 5 authors.

Me too,reading this for the multiple time,I am into re-reading the classic authors at the moment

Newch91 wrote:
    Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski
    He's an author I want to read.

Oh you definitely should,uncomfortable to read at times but incredible,the guy was a master at writing and living in the darkness of the human disposition
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    stargirl69 wrote:

:clap: Nice choice

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I am mine!
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    +1, love Bukowski

Trying to get through Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy for about the 5th time, very hard going
    Newch91 wrote:

Wonderful author, start with Post Office, Women, Factotum or Ham on Rye. Hollywood's just OK (IMO), before attempting his poetry. Actually, I've a book of short stories of his that's a great place to start, it's called 'The Most Beautiful Woman in Town'
    I've just finished Lean on Pete, by Willy Vlautin, a great read from a very underrated author and songwriter
  • Shaq.jpg
    frazba wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Wonderful author, start with Post Office, Women, Factotum or Ham on Rye. Hollywood's just OK (IMO), before attempting his poetry. Actually, I've a book of short stories of his that's a great place to start, it's called 'The Most Beautiful Woman in Town'

I had an extensive collection of Bukowki's book that had been built up over the years.I gave quite a few of them to a friend of mine,something I rarely do with books or music as they are way to important to me to risk them going AWOL but as he couldn't afford to buy them himself I gave him them to borrow.

He commited suicide and I never got them back :? Don't think it was anything to do with Bukowski's writing's that caused him to do what he did :cry:

I began to build the collection up again,but not to the extent that it once was

I would highly recommend the film Barfly,Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway,Mickey plays Henry Chinaski (Bukowski) and Faye plays Wanda his on/off girlfriend.
    Bukowski wrote the screenplay based on his barfly days in L.A ... fantastic film with a great soundtrack of lounge jazz and hammond organs ... Check it out Hank fans :D
    +1
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I would highly recommend the film Barfly,Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway,Mickey plays Henry Chinaski (Bukowski) and Faye plays Wanda his on/off girlfriend.
    Bukowski wrote the screenplay based on his barfly days in L.A ... fantastic film with a great soundtrack of lounge jazz and hammond organs ... Check it out Hank fans :D

have you seen born into this?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stargirl69 wrote:

I had an extensive collection of Bukowki's book that had been built up over the years.I gave quite a few of them to a friend of mine,something I rarely do with books or music as they are way to important to me to risk them going AWOL but as he couldn't afford to buy them himself I gave him them to borrow.

He commited suicide and I never got them back :? Don't think it was anything to do with Bukowski's writing's that caused him to do what he did :cry:

That's so sad :cry:

I may try and fish that film out. I've never seen it and if it has some jazz in it then all the better :D
    frazba wrote:

The only Bukowski novel I have read is Post Office - incredible. I've been reading a lot of his poetry recently and just think he's fantastic. 'The Laughing Heart' was like a punch to the gut when I first read it.
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    stargirl69 wrote:

Not only he wrote the screenplay but he also appears in one scene in the bar.
    The movie is good especially if you are a Buk fan. :D
    Truth is I expected more from Mickey Rourke, he wasn't quite what I expected.
    Matt Dillon was better in Factotum and even Ben Gazzara in Tales of Ordinary Madness was closer to Buk's persona. (according to my opinion of course!)
    I am mine!
    stargirl69 wrote:

I may try and fish that film out. I've never seen it and if it has some jazz in it then all the better :D
    frazba wrote:

The only Bukowski novel I have read is Post Office - incredible. I've been reading a lot of his poetry recently and just think he's fantastic. 'The Laughing Heart' was like a punch to the gut when I first read it.

Oh man you need to read more :D Punch to the gut is right,but that is what I love about his writing,it should make you feel ;)

Barfly is so good easy and cheap to find on Amazon or Play and the jazz in the soundtrack is fantastic.Also check out Matt Dillon in Factotum,based on Postoffice ... Not as good as Mickey Rourke in Barfly but worth a watch.

I think I am going to forfeit Grapes of Wrath for the time being and drag out some Bukoswki,all this love for his writing has me in the mood for it.
    AELARA wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Matt Dillon was better in Factotum and even Ben Gazzara in Tales of Ordinary Madness was closer to Buk's persona. (according to my opinion of course!)

That's right I forgot he played a silent cameo role :D
    stargirl69 wrote:

No cate I haven't,can you tell me about it? :D
    stargirl69 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

No cate I haven't,can you tell me about it? :D

its a doco on bukowski.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/bukowski/trailer
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    stargirl69 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

frazba wrote:

Oh man you need to read more :D Punch to the gut is right,but that is what I love about his writing,it should make you feel ;)

Barfly is so good easy and cheap to find on Amazon or Play and the jazz in the soundtrack is fantastic.Also check out Matt Dillon in Factotum,based on Postoffice ... Not as good as Mickey Rourke in Barfly but worth a watch.

I think I am going to forfeit Grapes of Wrath for the time being and drag out some Bukoswki,all this love for his writing has me in the mood for it.

Me too, I'm giving up (again) on Blood Meridian and digging out Play the Piano Drunk (can't be arsed typing the rest, sorry)......., my introduction to his poetry, bought for me by an (ex) girlfriend, she dumped me two weeks later, I didn't see it coming :o

Wonderful to see some Buk love on here!
    AELARA wrote:

:clap:

Thank you ... my favourite line of the entire film "I seem to feel better when their not around" I can agree with that
    have you seen born into this?[/quote]

No cate I haven't,can you tell me about it? :D[/quote]

its a doco on bukowski.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/bukowski/trailer[/quote]

Have to get hold of that, thanks Cate. I read an excellent bio on him a few years back (the name escapes me) which was extremely enlightening and interesting, questioned many of the myths surrounding the man.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Thanks for all the Bukowski recommendations! :D

I'm sure all of you know "In Hiding" was inspired by Bukowski.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Hiding#Lyrics
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    frazba wrote:
    Me too, I'm giving up (again) on Blood Meridian and digging out Play the Piano Drunk (can't be arsed typing the rest, sorry)......., my introduction to his poetry, bought for me by an (ex) girlfriend, she dumped me two weeks later, I didn't see it coming :o

Wonderful to see some Buk love on here!

He was prone to long titles :)

:? Oh my! You were dumped and my friend died,common factor Bukoswki :? ;) But Buk love still here :D
    frazba wrote:

Have to get hold of that, thanks Cate. I read an excellent bio on him a few years back (the name escapes me) which was extremely enlightening and interesting, questioned many of the myths surrounding the man.

just sharing the love. 8-)

was it locked in the arms of a crazy life by howard sounes? thats the one ive read.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Oh thanks cate,will most definitely check this out.We can compare when we have our party in hell :D
    just sharing the love. 8-) was it locked in the arms of a crazy life by howard sounes? thats the one ive read.

That's the one I read too
    frazba wrote:

just sharing the love. 8-)

was it locked in the arms of a crazy life by howard sounes? thats the one ive read.

That's the one, that would've annoyed me all night.
  • runchaserrunchaser Posts: 112
    Bernard Cornwell - Death of Kings.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    11/22/63 - Stephen King
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    AELARA wrote:

I thought Barfly was shite. Embarrasing even.

The best movie of the bunch is Tales of Ordianry Madness IMO, followed by Factotum. I own every Bukowski movie and documentary except Barfly because I have no time for it. Also I can't stand Mickey Rourke.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I have a signed copy of septuagenarian Stew 8-)
  • teegan31teegan31 Posts: 126
    Its So Easy by Duff MacKagan....its pretty good, i like how he decided to not play up the drug use but tell everyone how horrible being an addict can be. I recommend it...Guns N Roses were pretty awesome