Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Just finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Newch91 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    9781845299439-crop-325x325.jpg
    :thumbup: Never heard of the book.

found it at HMV for $6 in the summer, I guess there alot of titles under the Massive Book of.....theme, and it looks like it included interviews, stories and a career retrospective etc.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Finished "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood earlier this week. Fantastic book. Very 1984-ish. I haven't pulled for a protaganist as hard as I pulled for the one in this book in a long time.

I haven't read that book in a very long time but I remember it being very disturbing! I'll have to read it again, what a crazy and scary concept.

Yeah it was a book that had been on my to-read list for a long time. My wife and I both had B&N gift cards after Christmas and weren't sure what to get. Her friend suggested "The Handmaid's Tale" and I said yeah that's a book I've wanted to read for a long time. I didn't know anything about it going in and you're right it was very disturbing!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Finished "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood earlier this week. Fantastic book. Very 1984-ish. I haven't pulled for a protaganist as hard as I pulled for the one in this book in a long time.

I haven't read that book in a very long time but I remember it being very disturbing! I'll have to read it again, what a crazy and scary concept.

Yeah it was a book that had been on my to-read list for a long time. My wife and I both had B&N gift cards after Christmas and weren't sure what to get. Her friend suggested "The Handmaid's Tale" and I said yeah that's a book I've wanted to read for a long time. I didn't know anything about it going in and you're right it was very disturbing!

If I remember correctly, there was also a movie made about the book...but I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not. Might be worth a watch!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Our Band Could be Your Life by Michael Azerrad.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

If I remember correctly, there was also a movie made about the book...but I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not. Might be worth a watch!

That book is great - as are all of Margaret Atwoods - Oryx and Crake is awesome.

There was a movie with Natasha Richardson (Vanessa Redgrave's daughter), Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall and Aiden Quinn. Really good movie - if not a bit dated.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    tinkerbell wrote:

Yeah it was a book that had been on my to-read list for a long time. My wife and I both had B&N gift cards after Christmas and weren't sure what to get. Her friend suggested "The Handmaid's Tale" and I said yeah that's a book I've wanted to read for a long time. I didn't know anything about it going in and you're right it was very disturbing![/quote]

If I remember correctly, there was also a movie made about the book...but I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not. Might be worth a watch![/quote]

That book is great - as are all of Margaret Atwoods - Oryx and Crake is awesome.

There was a movie with Natasha Richardson (Vanessa Redgrave's daughter), Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall and Aiden Quinn. Really good movie - if not a bit dated.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it out. I am definitely going to read her other books.
  • Options
    Im about to delve into the crazy world of Hunter S. Thompson.
    Any suggestions on where I should start?
    Does it even matter?
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Does it even matter?
    :D

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Enjoy the wild ride!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    WALDEN - Henry David Thoreau
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,654
    Just finished 11/22/63 and already can't wait for the movie. Just started Winter's Bone.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Just finished 11/22/63 and already can't wait for the movie. Just started Winter's Bone.

Haven't even started SK's new one yet :oops: Usually I'm on top of them right away but I'm too engrossed in the George RR Martin books right now!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Haven't even started SK's new one yet :oops: Usually I'm on top of them right away but I'm too engrossed in the George RR Martin books right now!

I started book 5 awhile ago and just picked it up again. I'm really enjoying it now and am sad I only have 300 pages left.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I started book 5 awhile ago and just picked it up again. I'm really enjoying it now and am sad I only have 300 pages left.

I recently read somewhere that with all the success of the books lately (likely because of GOT), Martin is considering not capping it off at 7 books, but to just keep going with the story. It'll be interesting to see if that happens or not. I'm just about to finish the 3rd one. I want to take it slow so I don't finish 5 before 6 comes out, but they're just too good to not devour :D
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Re-reading Collected Fictions by Borges.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    [/quote]

I recently read somewhere that with all the success of the books lately (likely because of GOT), Martin is considering not capping it off at 7 books, but to just keep going with the story. It'll be interesting to see if that happens or not. I'm just about to finish the 3rd one. I want to take it slow so I don't finish 5 before 6 comes out, but they're just too good to not devour :D[/quote]

The 3rd one is fantastic, especially the last 1/4.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    "The Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three" by Mara Leveritt.

devilsknot.jpg
  • Options
    Sunset Park by Paul Auster
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Finally reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jeanwah wrote:

NICE! Behemoth is badass.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Does it even matter?
    Enjoy! His books are so much fun to read. I'd also recommend checking out "Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S Thompson". It's not actually written by Hunter but featues an endless number of commentaries by friends, family members, acquaintences, etc that shed some light on the life that he lead...very entertaining read.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Does it even matter?
    Enjoy! His books are so much fun to read. I'd also recommend checking out "Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S Thompson". It's not actually written by Hunter but featues an endless number of commentaries by friends, family members, acquaintences, etc that shed some light on the life that he lead...very entertaining read.

Thanks!
    I'll make sure to put that on the list.
    That one will probably be good to read after...think i'll start w/ Fear & Loathing.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just finished Stuart Neville's Stolen Souls... good read, but I liked his first the best so far, Ghosts Of Belfast.

Now I need to go through my stack of books and figure out which one to read next... :geek:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

that one is still on my to-do list! i started a couple of times, but couldn't keep focused which is pretty much essential reading something of this calibre. i remember standing in awe of the use of language in this book, which is monumental to say the least.. .

good luck, and enjoy!
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

I have a copy waiting to be read, maybe when i've finished The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Started Hater by David Moody... about a 1/3 of the way through and enjoying it so far... I'm pretty sure it's gonna get weird if Guillermo Del Toro picked up the movie rights already... it's a series of 3.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    gunter1976 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

that one is still on my to-do list! i started a couple of times, but couldn't keep focused which is pretty much essential reading something of this calibre. i remember standing in awe of the use of language in this book, which is monumental to say the least.. .

good luck, and enjoy!

I'm loving it so far...
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    i'm reading Mustain- A life in metal
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    Thanks!
    I'll make sure to put that on the list.
    That one will probably be good to read after...think i'll start w/ Fear & Loathing.

Yeah, I would go Fear & Loathing and then Hells Angels. If you are not hooked by then, get out.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Does it even matter?

I'd begin with 'The Great Shark Hunt'.

But it doesn't really matter where you start. Read them all.