Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Rimbaud In Java - The Lost Voyage

book.jpg

In 'A Season in Hell', at the age of eighteen, the French poet Arthur Rimbaud predicted the rest of his life: 'My day is done; I'm leaving Europe. The sea air will burn my lungs; lost climes will tan my skin.' Three years later, in 1876, he joined the Royal Army of the Dutch Indies as an infantryman and sailed for Java, where he promptly deserted and fled into the jungle. It was the most enigmatic passage in his life crowded with puzzles and contrarieties.

In the first book devoted to Rimbaud's lost voyage to Asia, the novelist and critic Jamie James reviews everything that is known about the episode; from there, he imaginatively spirals into a reconstruction of what the poet must have seen and informed speculation about what he might have done, vividly recreating life in nineteenth-century Java along the way. Rimbaud in Java concludes with an inquiry into what the Orient represented in the poet's imagination, with a scandalous, amusing history of French orientalism. James' surprising book is a richly concentrated blend of biography, criticism and thought-travel, which brings into sharp focus this brief encounter between a great writer and a vanished world.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    I just finished the last book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I'm about to start Ghosts of Mississippi?

I read those recently as well. I was shocked to find I liked them. I read Twilight before the first movie came out to see what the buzz was about (I like how some books will hook a bunch of non-readers into becoming readers so I try to check them out) and I quickly saw how Twilight was just never going to work for me. Not for a 30-40 year old guy!
    But Hunger Games was actually pretty cool. Just enough Sci-Fi and Action/Intrigue to offset the background love story. Interested to see the movies.

Same here with the hunger games. Just finished the last book on Wednesday. Looking forward to the first movie...
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    gunter1976 wrote:
    Zerostrata, Andersen Prunty

Anyone up for an unusual, yet surprising and definitely strange read should give this (author) a try. The imagination takes flight!
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Broken Summers by Henry Rollins
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    I just started "One Day." I like it so far, it varies in time and setting as far as I can tell. Right now it is in the late 80's and I dig it.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,028
    gunter1976 wrote:
    Broken Summers by Henry Rollins

:thumbup:

I start Rollin's Smile, You're Traveling recently. Totally loving it and already believe it will be my favorite Henry Rollins book thus far.

Smile! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    I start Rollin's Smile, You're Traveling recently. Totally loving it and already believe it will be my favorite Henry Rollins book thus far.

Broken Summers is the second book by Henry Rollins that I picked up (well, downloaded in this case). I only read (and enjoyed) Get in the Van before. Although his writings are generally a bit on the sarcastic, misanthropic side of things, I can definitely relate to or appreciate most of it. Still, that mainly concerns his tour experiences I guess, since I am not (or - having attended his spoken word performances for about four or five times - no longer) that big of a fan regarding his traveling observations, which I consider a bit superficial.

That said, enjoy your day!

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,653
    Rabbit Factory - Larry Brown
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    gunter1976 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Broken Summers is the second book by Henry Rollins that I picked up (well, downloaded in this case). I only read (and enjoyed) Get in the Van before. Although his writings are generally a bit on the sarcastic, misanthropic side of things, I can definitely relate to or appreciate most of it. Still, that mainly concerns his tour experiences I guess, since I am not (or - having attended his spoken word performances for about four or five times - no longer) that big of a fan regarding his traveling observations, which I consider a bit superficial.

That said, enjoy your day!

get in the van is for me the one that got away.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "The Hunter in the Woods" by Robert McCammon
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I just started "One Day." I like it so far, it varies in time and setting as far as I can tell. Right now it is in the late 80's and I dig it.

I have been considering this title for some time now. I am guessing an eventual purchase is inevitable :)

• Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I just picked up - The Perfect Scent - by Chandler Burr

Should start reading this in a few days.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Next up on my list is Dog's Blood by David Moody

I need to get this book, I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but Hater grabbed me pretty quick. Can only imagine what people will think when I'm holding up the book with Dog's Blood on the cover! :o
    Currently reading the second book of Daniel Woodrell's Bayou Trilogy "Muscle For The Wing". The first book took a little to get into, but the second is a lot easier since most of the characters are set.

Btw - Did you read Moody's Autumn series? Not sure about that one.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    51ijGB-8HsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, fantastic, loved it, another great King story
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    "The Night Circus," Erin Morgenstern. (For book club.)

Just started it...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    then again - diane keaton

its my fluff book before i again immerse myself in history.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    51ijGB-8HsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

ooh ive read this one. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gunter1976 wrote:

I have been considering this title for some time now. I am guessing an eventual purchase is inevitable :)

yeah me too... i think the fact that theyve turned it into a movie is holding me back
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    "Myths about Suicide" by Thomas Joiner.

Just got this book yesterday, or maybe the day before? it's a good read, i'm little over the halfway mark.

lots of different takes on suicide from the author.

http://www.amazon.com/Myths-about-Suici ... 0674048229
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,287
    I haven't read anything in awhile (I go on spurts with reading). Was however thinking of starting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and or The Hunger Games series as well. I enjoyed both movies and heard the books are decent.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    Ripped by Greg Kot
  • Options
    Game of Thrones books, technically A Song of Ice and Fire books but anyway, I'm onto A Dance With Dragons.

Also reading The Picture of Dorian Grey.

A Dance WIth Dragons is to huge to be able to read comfortably and the underground, so I read Dorian Grey on the way to and from work and ADWD in the evenings. There are worse ways to spend ones time.
    Dublin, Ireland, The Point, Jun 01, 2000
    Dublin, Ireland, The Point, Aug 23, 2006
    London, England, Wembley Arena, Jun 18, 2007
    London, UK, O2 Arena, Aug 18, 2009
    Manchester, M.E.N. Arena, June 20, 2012
    Manchester, M.E.N. Arena, June 21, 2012
    Leeds, First Direct Arena, July 8, 2014

Eddie
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, 30 July, 2012
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, 31 July, 2012
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, June 7, 2017

No need to be void,... or save up on life... You got to spend it all.....
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just started Down By The River Where The Dead Men Go by George Pelecanos... liking his Nick Stefanos series and looking forward his other series.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    Just started Down By The River Where The Dead Men Go by George Pelecanos... liking his Nick Stefanos series and looking forward his other series.

this has me interested. thanks for the suggestion

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Not reading these now, but today, my favorite English professor from school said he was downsizing his book collection at home and gave me these three Jack Kerouac books:

Tristessa
    Doctor Sax
    The Subterraneans

He knows I have a huge interest in Kerouac. I can't wait for the semester to be over and dig into these books. I also have a couple of his poetry books that I'm also looking forward to reading.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    "Οι μεγάλοι έρωτες δε φοράνε νυφικό" Βαλάκα Μήτση(Greek Author)
    " Great Love dont wear wedding dress" Valaka Mitsi
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Day of Honey: A Memoir of Food, Love, and War by Annia Ciezadlo
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Anyone on Goodreads? I'm loving it!

I signed up a couple years ago, but I just started to get into it as I am part of a 52-book challenge within 2012.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    I haven't read anything in awhile (I go on spurts with reading). Was however thinking of starting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and or The Hunger Games series as well. I enjoyed both movies and heard the books are decent.

Very different reads.
    I enjoyed both but one is light and quick (Hunger Games) and the other is serious and while page turning, will take a bit more time to get through. (Dragon)
    If I could only have read one of those series it would have to be Dragon. At times mysterious, pulse pounding, disgusting and rewarding - most things you could ask for in a read.
    Enjoy them both!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    Newch91 wrote:
    Not reading these now, but today, my favorite English professor from school said he was downsizing his book collection at home and gave me these three Jack Kerouac books:

Tristessa
    Doctor Sax
    The Subterraneans

He knows I have a huge interest in Kerouac. I can't wait for the semester to be over and dig into these books. I also have a couple of his poetry books that I'm also looking forward to reading.

Doctor Sax is awesome! Some fantastic passages in that one...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam