Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    Fuckness, by Andersen Prunty
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    The Woman in Black- Susan Hill
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Finished up Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox...
    Deciding what to read next...
    The Case of the Frozen Addicts, Under the Dome, or World War Z (although this probably will make my zombie dreams worse...)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    afroannnie wrote:
    The Case of the Frozen Addicts, Under the Dome, or World War Z (although this probably will make my zombie dreams worse...)

World War Z was a great read!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    afroannnie wrote:

Thanks!! I've heard it's pretty good...is it scary?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:

I've thought about picking it up a bunch of times, but I am really over the zombie thing. They are everywhere. I still watch "The Walking Dead" even though it is a piece of crap now. I mainly just watch it to see how bad it is.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    The Clash by The Clash
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    7 Types of Ambiguity - Elliot Perlman
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Behind the Beautiful Forevers - Katherine Boo. Life in a Mumbai slum. Really really good.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens

Why, oh why haven't I been reading Dickens all these years? This is truly a wonderful book and I'm only about 240 pages in. Fantastic. A+ recommendation.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    vant0037 wrote:

Why, oh why haven't I been reading Dickens all these years? This is truly a wonderful book and I'm only about 240 pages in. Fantastic. A+ recommendation.

i say this without shame:

i have never read dickens.. EVER. i have however seen a muppet christmas carol. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:

I agree. I didn't read Dickens until I was at least 30. I was shocked - who knew? David Copperfield is fab and Great Expectations is amazing, too.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

I agree. I didn't read Dickens until I was at least 30. I was shocked - who knew? David Copperfield is fab and Great Expectations is amazing, too.

and what was it that made you read dickens?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Next up on my list is Dog's Blood by David Moody
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Enkidu wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

Skip 'Bleak House' - b-o-r-i-n-g!
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Thanks!! I've heard it's pretty good...is it scary?

Nah. Last time I was 'scared' by a book was Jaws. Going back year and years!
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:

Skip 'Bleak House' - b-o-r-i-n-g!

shouldnt be too diffciult to do... ive skipped them all so far. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    I just finished the last book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I'm about to start Ghosts of Mississippi?
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

Oprah
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    rrivers wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Oprah
    The power of Oprah.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

For me it was a friend who said "What's wrong with you, you never read Dickens?" And he pointed out they were mostly (I guess) written serialized so the chapters would end and you'd have to wait a day (a week?) to read the next chapter. So they were exciting. Like I said to my daughter, you have to get past the old fashioned language, but once you do that... (she doesn't believe me).

Bleak House and Oliver Twist were not my favorites. I adore Great Expectations. I liked Dombey and Son too.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    Enkidu wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

I'm not sure to be honest; I had read other books where "David Copperfield" was mentioned, but nothing in particular. It doesn't take much for me to pick up anything by "classic" authors and I had never read Dickens, so that plus my interest in that particular book made it an easy choice.

Highly recommended so far.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    thanx everybody for the feedback.

ive managed to hold off from reading dickens.. his books never seemed to jump out at me past the whole theyre classics thing.. which with me isnt necessarily a good enough reason. anyhoo a month or so ago i was reading an article on dickens it mentioned a statue of him that is in one of our parks and i thoguht a little weird then i went on to read of hiss apparent affinity with australia... which made the statue make more sense. and being australian i found it all very interesting.. especially considering he never managed to make it down here.. its so very far away. :mrgreen: anyhoo i thought hmmmm maybe.. then last week i was watching the tv and they were talking about dickens and someone said great expectations wasnt that difficult a read. i decided perhaps i should give him a go... and so i will.. but maybe not bleak house.. i heard its B-O-R-I-N-G. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    La Mecanique du Coeur, by Mathias Malzieu, translated into Spanish by Vincec Tuser Mayoral
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    Zerostrata, Andersen Prunty
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shiver
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    thanx everybody for the feedback.

ive managed to hold off from reading dickens.. his books never seemed to jump out at me past the whole theyre classics thing.. which with me isnt necessarily a good enough reason. anyhoo a month or so ago i was reading an article on dickens it mentioned a statue of him that is in one of our parks and i thoguht a little weird then i went on to read of hiss apparent affinity with australia... which made the statue make more sense. and being australian i found it all very interesting.. especially considering he never managed to make it down here.. its so very far away. :mrgreen: anyhoo i thought hmmmm maybe.. then last week i was watching the tv and they were talking about dickens and someone said great expectations wasnt that difficult a read. i decided perhaps i should give him a go... and so i will.. but maybe not bleak house.. i heard its B-O-R-I-N-G. :lol:

It is!

I liked many but Bleak House was poor!
  • Options
    I just finished the last book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I'm about to start Ghosts of Mississippi?

I read those recently as well. I was shocked to find I liked them. I read Twilight before the first movie came out to see what the buzz was about (I like how some books will hook a bunch of non-readers into becoming readers so I try to check them out) and I quickly saw how Twilight was just never going to work for me. Not for a 30-40 year old guy!
    But Hunger Games was actually pretty cool. Just enough Sci-Fi and Action/Intrigue to offset the background love story. Interested to see the movies.
  • Options

I read those recently as well. I was shocked to find I liked them. I read Twilight before the first movie came out to see what the buzz was about (I like how some books will hook a bunch of non-readers into becoming readers so I try to check them out) and I quickly saw how Twilight was just never going to work for me. Not for a 30-40 year old guy!
    But Hunger Games was actually pretty cool. Just enough Sci-Fi and Action/Intrigue to offset the background love story. Interested to see the movies.

Yeah that's what I did with Twilight. I struggled to get through the first book and there was no way I was reading more.

I read the first Hunger Games and enjoyed it, but haven't had a desire to read more.