'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    And the choice of song isn't just coincidence... 'the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on....' i.e. the Soprano life continues, we just don't get to see it.

that tops it off
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    And the choice of song isn't just coincidence... 'the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on....' i.e. the Soprano life continues, we just don't get to see it.

not to mention, if there was a hit out on tony, how the hell would they know to go there? how many times have we seen tony at that place in the entire series? and you can't say the guy that went to the bathroom followed him there because he was already there for a while, he was eating at the counter when tony sat down.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    moeaholic wrote:
    not to mention, if there was a hit out on tony, how the hell would they know to go there? how many times have we seen tony at that place in the entire series? and you can't say the guy that went to the bathroom followed him there because he was already there for a while, he was eating at the counter when tony sat down.

Um, follow him?

Just because we have never seen him there, doesn't mean they never went there. When Carmela was talking about it with Tony and AJ, it sounded like a place they had been many times.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    moeaholic wrote:

He was not eating at the counter when Tony sat down. He walked in at the same time as AJ.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    moeaholic wrote:

Members Only jacket comes in just in front of AJ.

Oops, a little late on my response there.
    Brian
    This article makes it sound like more was going on rather than just them having dinner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19178593/

They must have checked this thread before writing this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19177013/
    Agent Harris quoted here:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/Story?id=3267872&page=1

He says that in the script the scene was longer and Meadow actually came in and sat down.

I appreciate the ending because all the talk about it has been fun, but I would really like to know what Chase's intention with the scene was.
  • Garden DoggGarden Dogg Posts: 226
    rrivers wrote:
    Um, follow him?

Just because we have never seen him there, doesn't mean they never went there. When Carmela was talking about it with Tony and AJ, it sounded like a place they had been many times.

yeah...tony had already brought the family back home, so it wouldn't be out of the realm for him to be followed. and he did mention that holsten's had the best onion rings in the state as far as he was concerned. so that tells me that he had been there before.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the final scene reminded me of the end of the first season.....just the family having dinner.....life goes on....:)
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    cutback wrote:
    the final scene reminded me of the end of the first season.....just the family having dinner.....life goes on....:)

..and on and on and on......street lights, people...

Nevermind. :D
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    Here's an interesting question:

What song would YOU have picked for the end? How about which PJ song??
    He was not eating at the counter when Tony sat down. He walked in at the same time as AJ.

really? i could have sworn he was already eating something at the counter. my bad. i've only watched it once.

that being said, i still don't believe tony was killed.
    ~Michael Bolton
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

haha they will never get it
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

Living just to find emotion :D
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• See I didn't think that was funny at all... it was awkward and didn't make sense, shouldn't she be supportive given the situation?

No, not at all, if you payed attention to the series and all the small stuff you would know that she holds that whole situation against tony, as quoted by t.
    She married him under false pretense
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Chase did what he wanted.
    The people that watched it for mob related stuff feel he is dead, the fans that like all the non mob interests prob think he is alive, 4 days later it is still an even split to me know matter how I slice it up.
    Even the songs lyrics which had me convinced he was alive have made me see it from the other side.
    Maybee tony feeling secure was a sarcastic ploy with dont stop belevin, maybee he did and it caught up to him all to soon. Maybee life going on and on regardless of his killer acts or without him is the point.
    Paying anything to roll the dice just 1 more time.
    That song could be about someoen who lost the game.
    As far as pj there is a perfect song with 2 ways of looking at life and death.
    Hold on
    This song after allnights question is what pushed me into thinking that it has been right there the whole time
    There is always 2 ways to look at something.
    Also after his article on the music being the driving force, the scene with paulie and tony waiting for the agent is sarcastic.
    The song emphasizes a loving conversation between good friend and enjoying time as paulie complains, and we all know how tony felt about paulie, he sure as hell did anything but enjoy paulies company, he almost got offed for it.
    Very contreversial ending.
    For chase to say its all there is being a smart ass.
    It is all there for a casual fan,
    its also all over the place for us anxiety driven diehards.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    See I didn't think that was funny at all... it was awkward and didn't make sense, shouldn't she be supportive given the situation?

no, b/c the session wasn't about tony, it was about a.j.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Taft wrote:

I know its an endless debate that will "go on and on and on and on", but I still think Tony died in the end as I said before for just this very reason....

Thanks for the link.

"The jarring, fill-in-the-blank finale, concluding a show widely hailed as America's greatest television drama, sparked a furious debate about whether Chase had conceived of an actual ending and whether he left the audience any clues.

The biggest hint, according to a consensus taking shape on the Web, is a scene from an earlier episode in which Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri, muse about what it feels like to die.

"At the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

That scene is recalled briefly in a flashback played at the end of the penultimate "Sopranos" episode, as Tony is lying in the darkened room of a safehouse clutching a machine gun to his chest in the midst of a mob war.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the Bobby Bacala flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony's death.

Moreover, he said the man in the "Members Only" jacket could be interpreted as a symbolic reference to membership in the mob. "Members Only" also was the title of the episode in which Tony's demented Uncle Junior shoots him in the gut".
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Yeah he's dead...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    James Gandolfini told the Daily News in Friday's edition that he had "no idea" what to think was to happen to his character, the emotionally tortured mob boss and suburban dad Tony Soprano, after the hit series' final episode closed Sunday with an abrupt cut to a blank screen.

"You have to ask ("The Sopranos" creator) David Chase that. Smarter minds than mine know the answer to that," Gandolfini said. "I thought it was a great ending. You decide."

The screen went black and silent as Gandolfini's character and his family sat down to dinner, leaving fans guessing - and some complaining - about the ending's meaning or lack thereof.

Some have suggested that the movements of a man in the background portended a "Godfather"-style shooting. Others surmised that the show, which delved deeply into the domestic life of its mobster protagonist, was simply ending on an everyday note. Chase has declined to explain.

Several of Gandolfini's cast mates echoed his praise for the show's open-ended conclusion.

"A conventional ending would have been a fraud," Steven Van Zandt, who played Silvio, told the Daily News.

"Life doesn't have tidy little endings," said Van Zandt, a member of rocker Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. "Even some great songs just fade out like the last episode of 'The Sopranos."'
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    I really don't think he died, HBO execs are covering their asses because a lot of people are pissed. But most of these people just don't get it, Van Zandt was right.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
    i'm tired (already) of the whole "he went to the bathroom, ala 'godfather' " bit. last i knew, i was watching the sopranos.
    ~Michael Bolton
  • ProteusProteus Posts: 166
    It made me hungry for onion rings.
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • Proteus wrote:
    It made me hungry for onion rings.

Holsten's restaurant is now making a shitload of money off there onion rings.
    And then it made me wonder what entrees they were going to order.

I mean, a diner.

This was the true climax of the show.

Nevermind blackouts and loose ends and symbolically located angels of death.

Not a single shred of gabagool or proscuit' in sight. No zuppe di mussels. No zucchini flowers. No baked ziti.

A diner.

There were cokes on the table. Cokes.

No Sambuca. No Grappa. Not even a house red.

I bet Tony was going to order meatloaf.

Pure tragedy.
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • duffyduffy Posts: 74
    i can appreciate what they were trying to do to end the show that way, perhaps. but its hard not to feel a little bit ripped off.
    say the ending was meant to imply that Tony was killed in the end...it kinda haunts me in a way...cause if you die quickly like that -
    goes to show ya...in the end...nothing really matters after all. lights out. bada boom bada bing. done for. time out.
    duffy wrote:
    i can appreciate what they were trying to do to end the show that way, perhaps. but its hard not to feel a little bit ripped off.
    say the ending was meant to imply that Tony was killed in the end...it kinda haunts me in a way...cause if you die quickly like that -
    goes to show ya...in the end...nothing really matters after all. lights out. bada boom bada bing. done for. time out.

Honestly, if the show ended like that, I wouldn't mind. I think it would be kinda cool. Maybe see a gun up against Tony's head as he looks up at meadow, then black. No gunshot, nothing. Would be intense. But, I don't think it would follow the way chase operates. For all of the grittyness and mob-ness of the show, there always has been an underlying technique of implying things, of symbolism and of not outright spoon feeding the audience. It's what made the show great. For all of the dirty killings and strippers and Tony cheating on his wife, there is the backbone of intelligence to the show that you have to dig for just a little bit, but when you do, the show takes on heights that no other has accomplished. That said, a 'traditional' Scarface/Godfather ending would in no way do this amazing show justice. Getting it in the head or walking away in handcuffs would make Tony's demise 'run of the mill'. Chase left it up for us. He showed that there is little 'finality' or closure in life or this show (many loose ends...(the Russian?)...just like life).
    Not even a plate of stuffed mushrooms.
    --P. Farrell
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Proteus wrote:
    And then it made me wonder what entrees they were going to order.

I mean, a diner.

This was the true climax of the show.

Nevermind blackouts and loose ends and symbolically located angels of death.

Not a single shred of gabagool or proscuit' in sight. No zuppe di mussels. No zucchini flowers. No baked ziti.

A diner.

There were cokes on the table. Cokes.

No Sambuca. No Grappa. Not even a house red.

I bet Tony was going to order meatloaf.

Pure tragedy.

"Made in America"
    Brian