Comments

• binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    NCBRI wrote:
    "Made in America"

BINGO!
  • Garden DoggGarden Dogg Posts: 226
    NCBRI wrote:
    "Made in America"

yup...50s-style diner complete with jukeboxes on the table and a big tray of onion rings.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Honestly, if the show ended like that, I wouldn't mind. I think it would be kinda cool. Maybe see a gun up against Tony's head as he looks up at meadow, then black. No gunshot, nothing. Would be intense. But, I don't think it would follow the way chase operates. For all of the grittyness and mob-ness of the show, there always has been an underlying technique of implying things, of symbolism and of not outright spoon feeding the audience. It's what made the show great. For all of the dirty killings and strippers and Tony cheating on his wife, there is the backbone of intelligence to the show that you have to dig for just a little bit, but when you do, the show takes on heights that no other has accomplished. That said, a 'traditional' Scarface/Godfather ending would in no way do this amazing show justice. Getting it in the head or walking away in handcuffs would make Tony's demise 'run of the mill'. Chase left it up for us. He showed that there is little 'finality' or closure in life or this show (many loose ends...(the Russian?)...just like life).

Having a last scene where the majority of viewers thought their cable went out does not fit with the show either.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    rrivers wrote:
    Having a last scene where the majority of viewers thought their cable went out does not fit with the show either.

That's their own stupidity. I never once thought that. It's an arbitrary ending. Meaning there is NO ending. This show is as close to realistic life as you can get (for this lifestyle), thus just like life there is no finality. It keeps going on. There would be no good place to end it, and that is one of the points this scene makes. Also, the extended black was a brief period of reflection, to take it all in and let the impact of that scene and everything that led up to it sink in. Brilliant.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    That's their own stupidity. I never once thought that. It's an arbitrary ending. Meaning there is NO ending. This show is as close to realistic life as you can get (for this lifestyle), thus just like life there is no finality. It keeps going on. There would be no good place to end it, and that is one of the points this scene makes. Also, the extended black was a brief period of reflection, to take it all in and let the impact of that scene and everything that led up to it sink in. Brilliant.

I know you think you are smarter than everyone, but when your screen goes blank in the middle of a show, it does not mean you are stupid to think your cable went out. I did not think my cable went out, but I don't think people who did are stupid.

Many of the classic pieces of literature have endings ie Romeo and Juliet.

The "life has no closure so the Sopranos has no closure" argument is really tiring. The Sopranos is not life, it is a TV show that people have invested a ton of time in and made the people working on it very rich. It did depict life in a realistic way, but there needs to be an ending. The ending does not have to spoonfeed the audience, but to have "no ending" is a cop out. There are a ton of good ways to end it that would have been satisfying and within the spirit of the show. I also love how people say there is no finality in life. There is finality in life. Things come to conclusion. I don't know about your life, but you make decisions, things are set in motion, and an outcome occurs. It is not always in a blaze of glory, but I can't remember a problem in my life that terminated in everything going to black.

I don't know that the show was a real reflection of the life either. I have seen a few people who were in the mob or family members were in the mob who said it was not a real reflection of how life is. What made the show great was that the characters were fully formed, interesting individuals put in a situation with very high stakes.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    In the first season when Christopher shoots the cake-shop kid in the foot, Vito is there, the kid refers to him as Gino, Christopher tells him to leave the shop as to a civilian not as another made guy.............odd
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I thought this coupon was appropriate for this thread.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    basta! va fungue!
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

I thought this coupon was appropriate for this thread.

PBM

"My pee came out rainbow!"
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    Ending of Sopranos solved? This guys post is getting serious press, its starts several paragraphs down where the page break is (indicated by the 3 dots):

First line is:

"OK, here's 3000 words about five minutes of TV. I must have no life whatsoever. But I had a day off, and I do like a good puzzle."

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

I love "The Last Supper" screen shot, its dead on, even the background.
  • Did anybody see the entire cast of the Sopranos just now on the Emmys? Thats was f@cking awesome. :D
  • Did anybody see the entire cast of the Sopranos just now on the Emmys? Thats was f@cking awesome. :D

sure did. even though the show went downhill after the first couple of seasons, i'm still gonna miss it.
    Nice shirt.
  • sure did. even though the show went downhill after the first couple of seasons, i'm still gonna miss it.

I loved every season. :D Thank goodness for DVDs.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    'Sopranos' creator defends famous finale

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer2 hours, 3 minutes ago

Just when we had made our peace with "The Sopranos" finale and moved on with our lives, David Chase has stirred things up again.

Breaking his silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's. And mostly Chase wonders why so many viewers got so worked up over the series' non-finish.

"There WAS a war going on that week, and attempted terror attacks in London," says Chase. "But these people were talking about onion rings."

The interview, included in "`The Sopranos': The Complete Book," published this week, finds Chase exasperated by viewers who were upset that Tony didn't meet explicit doom.

Chase says the New Jersey mob boss "had been people's alter ego. They had gleefully watched him rob, kill, pillage, lie and cheat. They had cheered him on. And then, all of a sudden, they wanted to see him punished for all that. They wanted 'justice'...

"The pathetic thing — to me — was how much they wanted HIS blood, after cheering him on for eight years."

In the days, and even weeks, after the finale aired June 10, "Sopranos" wonks combed that episode for buried clues, concocting wild theories. (Was this some sort of "Last Supper" reimagined with Tony, wife Carmela, son A.J. and daughter Meadow?)

Chase insists that what you saw (and didn't see) is what you get.

"There are no esoteric clues in there. No `Da Vinci Code,'" he declares.

He says it's "just great" if fans tried to find a deeper meaning, but "most of them, most of us, should have done this kind of thing in high school English class and didn't."

He defends the bleak, seemingly inconclusive ending as appropriate — and even a little hopeful.

A.J. will "probably be a low-level movie producer. But he's not going to be a killer like his father, is he? Meadow may not become a pediatrician or even a lawyer ... but she'll learn to operate in the world in ways that Carmela never did.

"It's not ideal. It's not what the parents dreamed of. But it's better than it was," Chase says.

And as for that notorious blackout in the middle of the Journey power ballad, "Don't Stop Believin'"?

"Originally, I didn't want any credits at all," says Chase. "I just wanted the black screen to go the length of the credits — all the way to the HBO `whoosh' sound. But the Directors Guild wouldn't give us a waiver."

And while this unexpected finish left lots of viewers thinking their cable service was on the fritz, Chase insists it wasn't meant as a prank.

"Why would we want to do that?" he asks. "Why would we entertain people for eight years only to give them the finger?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071023/ap_en_tv/tv_sopranos_david_chase_4
  • wow thanks
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    I feel quite vindicated. :cool:
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    still waiting to see the fuckin thing
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktgUA20xQs

Just saw this this morning on ESPN. hehehehe :D
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktgUA20xQs

it was better than any episode since season 2.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • inmyrvm wrote:

I totally disagree with your comment. :D
    inmyrvm wrote:

"Second Coming", I think the third to last episodes was one of the best of the series.
  • lksammktlksammkt Posts: 127
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktgUA20xQs

Love it!!!!
    I just keep moving on....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477
    ahhhh, the memories of the greatest show in the history of television...

i just watched "the rat pack" episode on A&E. thats the one where tony blundetto gets out of the can and they throw that big party for him. "Tony Uncle Al!"

oh how the jeagler misses this show.....
    www.myspace.com
  • Me too, On HBO in demand, they're showing the first season. I just watched the episode "Boca" the other day.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • ahhhh, the memories of the greatest show in the history of television...

i just watched "the rat pack" episode on A&E. thats the one where tony blundetto gets out of the can and they throw that big party for him. "Tony Uncle Al!"

You ever watch Six Feet Under? I never thought a show could top Sopranos, but this one does, or at least comes close. The first couple seasons are incredible. Completely different type of show, of course, but it has that same HBO quality to it. Amazing stuff.
    ahhhh, the memories of the greatest show in the history of television...

You ever watch Six Feet Under? I never thought a show could top Sopranos, but this one does, or at least comes close. The first couple seasons are incredible. Completely different type of show, of course, but it has that same HBO quality to it. Amazing stuff.

i never really got into that show. maybe i will give it another shot.

dexter has filled the sopranos void for me for the most part. still not the same though
    www.myspace.com
    Me too, On HBO in demand, they're showing the first season. I just watched the episode "Boca" the other day.

A few months ago, I put on an episode on demand from season 4. Since then I have been watching the whole series. I watch the ones that are on demand and then I have been going back to the seasons I have on DVD. So far I've watched seasons 1, 3, 4, 5. I still think this is the best show ever on television.
    do reruns still air on a&e? i haven't seen it on there in quite a while
    www.myspace.com
  • i refuse to watch the reruns on A and E. I have a major problem with television that is edited, same with movies on tv. Unless they are showing the unedited versions of the episodes, why bother? Not not just watch the dvd's?