The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    West Ham 4 Blackburn 2

By SUN ONLINE REPORTER

DEAN ASHTON must be wondering how he will break into the West Ham team.

The £7million record signing was not fit to make his debut - and was forced to watch as two of his rivals for a starting place hit clinical goals.

Teddy Sheringham's penalty and Bobby Zamora's clincher were both from the top drawer.

And with top scorer Marlon Harewood also looking dangerous when he came on, Ashton will know he has got a fight on his hands.

Goals were always likely to flow in this FA Cup fourth round tie. The two sides had already racked up nine in their two Premiership matches this season.

But it was still a surprise when David Bentley struck after just 28 SECONDS to give Rovers the lead.

But Sheringham's cheeky spot-kick and Matthew Etherington's second goal of the season put the Hammers in control at half-time.

Zurab Khizanishvili's own goal extended that advantage and although Lucas Neill pulled one back for Blackburn, Zamora sealed the win with his first goal at Upton Park this season.

Hammers boss Alan Pardew said: "Bobby carried it for us in that first half. He was terrific. This is what competition does, it pushes people.

"And what a terrific attitude Marlon showed after being left out of the team, to come on and put that effort in.

"I am blessed with luxury up there. Ashton is definitely fit for the Arsenal game on Wednesday - so God knows what I am going to do!

"It is a question of giving the strikers a platform. I am not going to run with two strikers and say they are my best two - it is important we keep the games coming so everyone can play regularly.

"That is why it was important we won here. And it is an important week this week, with Arsenal and then Sunderland at home.

"The cup gives us a platform to really have a go at a trophy."

West Ham also came from behind to beat Blackburn on the opening day of the season but Pardew said: "It's not a habit we enjoy.

"Some of the games we have conceded first have been real quality goals but we started this one poorly.

"The feeling wasn't quite right in the dressing room. We conceded the goal and didn't look good for 20 minutes.

"Then we got going and had a terrific spell. Defensively we still didn't look correct but offensively we looked like we would score goals.

"And that is the lucky thing we have had going for us all season. Whoever we are playing, we look like we can score goals."

Pardew admitted he is struggling to fill the right-back position vacated by Tomas Repka and with Christian Dailly suspended for the Arsenal game it poses the kind of dilemma Pardew doesn't want.

He added: "Defensively things aren't too pretty. I feel we will struggle to get a new right-back before the window closes.

Click here to find out more!

"We are not getting the right responses and the figures we are being quoted I am not going to pay. We have plenty of targets but teams are getting edgy now, they don't want to lose their best players.

"It is difficult because I don't want to bring in a stop-gap, I want someone who will take the club forward."

Sheringham started his first game since November as Harewood was rested, while Mark Hughes had Craig Bellamy and Paul Dickov both out.

But Blackburn began with more urgency as Steven Reid cut in from the right to reach the edge of West Ham's box unchallenged, before slipping the ball out to Shefki Kuqi.

His cross found Bentley unmarked just a yard from goal and he made no mistake.

West Ham tried to conjure an immediate response but were second best for most of the first half hour as Blackburn closed them down quickly and effectively.

Reid blasted one chance over,while Kuqi forced a corner when he rose above Danny Gabbidon in the area.

Pardew's men survived but Andy Todd then forced Shaka Hislop into a smart save with a header from Robbie Savage's curling cross.

Despite being outfought in the centre of midfield, West Ham enjoyed success down the flanks and slowly worked their way back into the game.

Zamora stole in front of his man to meet a long cross from Dailly but his header lacked power.

Etherington then nicked in to intercept a poor backpass from Todd, but his first touch took the ball out for a goal-kick.

Just before the half hour West Ham enjoyed a good shout for a penalty.

Yossi Benayoun jinked his way into the box and his cross appeared to be blocked by the arm of Khizanishvili, but referee Martin Atkinson waved away the protests and awarded only a corner.

Three minutes later West Ham had their spot-kick - and their equaliser.

Zamora was held back by Khizanishvili and Sheringham stepped up to chip Brad Friedel, who was left clawing at the air as the ball floated into the net.

The hosts marched into the lead five minutes later when Zamora fed a neat ball wide for Etherington to calmly slot past Friedel.

BENTLEY MOTORS ... Blackburn's David Bentley<br> gives the visitors false hope early on
    BENTLEY MOTORS ... Blackburn's David Bentley
    gives the visitors false hope early on

Etherington's only previous goal this season came in West Ham's opening day victory over Blackburn. Pardew's men came back from 1-0 down on that day too.

Zamora wasted a glorious chance immediately after the interval but West Ham soon worked an excellent third.

Sheringham fed Konchesky down the left and the England full-back drove a low cross into the six-yard area where Khizanishvili smashed his attempted clearance into his own net.

Rovers hauled themselves back into the game on the hour mark when Neill played a neat one-two with Morten Gamst Pedersen before curling a delightful shot past Hislop.

Sheringham was then replaced by Marlon Harewood and after his powerful drive was blocked by Friedel, Zamora pounced to score his ninth of the season.

Blackburn boss Hughes said: "It was a perfect start from the point of view of scoring after 30 seconds but West Ham got back into the game very quickly.

"Our defending wasn't very good and we didn't give ourselves a chance. That is something we have prided ourselves on, but we have had three hard games in a row.

"Our efforts midweek against Manchester United took something out of us. When you come to Upton Park you need to be on top form and as sharp as you can be and we weren't.

"I am not going to sit here and single anybody out but we will review the game as we always do and take it from there."

West Ham: Hislop, Dailly, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun (Fletcher 84), Mullins, Reo-Coker, Etherington, Sheringham (Harewood 71), Zamoa (Katan 78). Subs not used: Bywater, Newton. Booked: Dailly.

Goals: Sheringham 33 pen, Etherington 37, Khizanishvili 59 og,
    Zamora 73.

Blackburn: Friedel, Neill, Todd, Khizanishvili, Gray, Reid, Savage, Mokoena (Tugay 73), Pedersen, Kuqi (Emerton 60), Bentley (Johnson 60). Subs not used: Enckelman, Nelsen.

Goals: Bentley 1, Neill 65.

Att: 23,700

Ref: M Atkinson (W Yorkshire).
    West Ham boss Alan Pardew:
    ""I am blessed with luxury up there (in attack). Dean Ashton is definitely fit for Wednesday - so God knows what I am going to do!
    i´ve noticed that west ham won their last four games ....and even in the pl they lost vs the rovers .So good sign for them .and i think they can beat arsenal!!!
  • Do you support West Ham?
    Do you support West Ham?

not as much as i support manchester united but yea i support them a bit.... why?
  • not as much as i support manchester united but yea i support them a bit.... why?

Just curious and surprised since it's not a really big or succesful club :o
    Just curious and surprised since it's not a really big or succesful club :o

yeap i know but that´s why i love support them
    you see i support manu united anyways they are leading 2:0 vs wolves goals:richardson and saha. and support west ham they won yesterday 4:2...
    Manu 3
    wolves 0

richardson,saha,richardson!!!!
    so manu won3:0
    so now Portsmouth has to beat liverpool:p:p
  • I'm originally from Sunderland, miles adrift at the bottom of the premiership and just got knocked out of the cup too:(:(
    any Sunderland supporters here??
    One day the world will be ready for you
    and wonder how they didn't see it...E
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    I'm originally from Sunderland, miles adrift at the bottom of the premiership and just got knocked out of the cup too:(:(
    any Sunderland supporters here??
    lol poor you...Sunderland just doesnt have the resources...but im very sure they will get promoted next season.

halftime now...arent playing too well..but hey leading 2-0..who can complain :D
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    i´m sorry not me .....

http://www.manutdpics.com/previewimage.php?mediaid=170842&mediatype=2

by the way nürnbergvs hamburg yesterday 2:1 (((((
    oh no liverpool is leading with 2 goals so no happy surprise for us!!!!
    A scrapy match but Livepool are the team in the hat for the fith round.
    din enjoy the game meself..better 2nd half performance though..all that matters i guess is that we are through
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    din enjoy the game meself..better 2nd half performance though..all that matters i guess is that we are through

ok...we had a better game ;)

anyways

sweet 16;););)

Reds await fifth round draw
    30/1/06 8:06 AM

United To Discover Fifth Round Opponents

United will find out who they'll face in the FA Cup fifth round at 13:30 GMT today.

The Reds overcame Championship side Wolves on Sunday thanks to a convincing 3-0 victory.

Louis Saha's eighth goal of the season and a double strike from Kieran Richardson gave United a deserved place in the hat for the last 16.

The Reds are number 16 in the draw.

Other numbers to look out for are: 1 Stoke, 2 Newcastle, 3 Coventry/Middlesbrough, 4 Reading/Birmingham, 5 Liverpool, 6 Southampton, 7 Bolton, 8 Aston Villa, 9 Brentford, 10 Manchester City, 11 Everton/Chelsea, 12 Preston/Crystal Palace, 13 West Ham, 14 Colchester, 15 Charlton, 16 Manchester United.

The fifth round ties will be played over the weekend of 18/19 February.
    England's Ferd Way
    Paul Ince last night told England boss Sven Goran Eriksson to consider Rio Ferdinand for a central midfield role at the World Cup. The former Manchester United and England star was unable to cope with Ferdinand, who was used in a holding central role as Sir Alex Ferguson's side stormed into the fifth round of the FA Cup at Molineux. Ince said: "Rio can play that holding midfield position for England - the kid is good enough to do it. Sven should be looking at Rio to do that in the World Cup because I think he is awesome. He can play centre-half, right-back, anywhere."
    Martin Rogers, Daily Mirror

:D;):);):D:)
    Liverpool vs Manure for the 5th round of the FA Cup!
    time for revenge!

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Liverpool vs Manure for the 5th round of the FA Cup!
    time for revenge!

ohohoh but we will beat you....again:D so how about the others ...who will face west ham???
    FA Cup Fifth Round Draw
    Preston / Crystal Palace v Coventry / Middlesbrough
    Newcastle v Southampton
    Aston Villa v Manchester City
    Everton / Chelsea v Colchester
    Charlton v Brentford
    Liverpool v United
    Bolton v West Ham
    Stoke v Reading / Birmingham

i just hope we win will be hard
    and west ham ´bout the rest mhhh no idear !!!
    charlton should win too
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is prepared to retain the unconventional midfield partnership of Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney for Wednesday's Barclays Premiership trip to Blackburn.

With Paul Scholes, John O'Shea and Ryan Giggs all injured, Alan Smith not fully fit either and Darren Fletcher needing a rest, Ferguson opted to pair the England duo together for United's FA Cup tie with Wolves.

Even though neither man has any real experience in the role, the tactic worked well as United romped to a fourth-round win at Molineux.

And, with Smith suspended for the midweek Ewood Park encounter, Ferguson may yet spurn the option of recalling Fletcher and stick with the Rooney-Ferdinand axis.

"It is possible I could play them in there on Wednesday because they both did very well," said Ferguson.

"I was forced into the move really because my best selection options were all at the back.

"Darren Fletcher has played a lot of games and needed a break, while Alan Smith has been missing training with an ankle problem and I felt it was a big ask to throw him into a full-blooded FA Cup tie."

'Ledley King played there against Argentina and it did not really work out for the lad'

Long-term, it is highly unlikely Ferguson will keep Rooney or Ferdinand in midfield even though his efforts to bring in reinforcements during this month's transfer window appear doomed to failure.

Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle is dismissive of Rooney's midfield prowess, insisting the youngster is at his most destructive when he plays just behind a main striker.

However, former United man Paul Ince is convinced Ferdinand could have a future in midfield and pointed England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson towards the £29.1million man as his World Cup enforcer.

"I have always said Rio is a fantastic player and he could do that holding role for England," said Ince.

"I know there is a question mark over who is going to play centre-half but Rio is good enough to play in that position and Sven should be looking at that because the lad is awesome.

"Ledley King played there against Argentina and it did not really work out for the lad. He can play that role but there are not many about and Rio is the only one who has the discipline to sit in there and set things up."

Eriksson was at the game and while Ferdinand did catch the eye, the Swede could not have failed to be impressed by Kieran Richardson, who netted twice, either side of a Louis Saha effort.

It appears Joe Cole has already been ear-marked for the troublesome left-sided berth but Richardson's ability to play in defence could see him squeeze into Eriksson's 23-man squad for this summer's finals in Germany.
    Anton Ferdinand is going head-to-head with his brother in the goalscoring stakes on SKY TV's 'Soccer AM', for arguably the biggest trophy in football. The defender is loving his football at the moment, and says 'the more pressure the better!'

Anton is thriving under the pressure of increased expectations and he says West Ham are developing into a real force to be reckoned with.

Ferdinand: 'The expectations are higher, but that is understandable because we have done well. The players are rising to it and it is making us play better.

'Teams cannot afford to take us lightly and we are showing people we are a force to be reckoned with. We have to keep raising our game. Our aim is to win as many games as we can and finish as high as possible. And the FA Cup is massive.

'The club is showing great ambition. We have a young squad and young players like Deano will be attracted by us because we have shown great ambition.

'The people who have signed new contracts recently - like Alan Pardew, Nigel Reo-Coker and Bobby Zamora - have shown me the club wants to go on to bigger and better things.

'I didn't have any qualms signing when they offered me a new contract because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be where I am now.

'I have definitely improved this season, but my aim is to keep defending well and be a defender first. Scoring and things like that are great, but my personal aim is to come out of Rio's shadow.'

As for the brother head-to-head, it is all tongue-in-cheek and Anton says he would love to line up against Rio in an FA Cup final, but playing alongside him for England would be the ultimate.

Ferdinand: 'That is my mum and dad's dream.'
  • real madrid looking very good................gonna kick arsenals ass all over the field anyone agree
    real madrid looking very good................gonna kick arsenals ass all over the field anyone agree
    yeh Robinho has been on top form as well..but their last game they were lucky..the ball did cross the line.
    but yeh go trash ARSE-anal!

YNWA
  • beckham is really establishing himself as the leader of that team............playing some real nice football
    beckham is really establishing himself as the leader of that team............playing some real nice football

i can´t stand madrid anymore ..only some players lol but trash arsenal
    hey can´t belive what i read this morning barbarez and beinlich leaves @it seems HSV this can´t be true so need new players again!!!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    now I know that it was probably talked a few days ago but .....Fowler, fuck this surprised me totally.........hes always been a natural finisher(one of only a handful) but as an athlete he lost it a time ago and that is the problem for him.............how will this go? think that he will grab goals but as for making a big splash- I dont think so............then again, in a way you've got Cisse who is almost a polar opposite. He has pace and can run with plenty all match yet his finishing lets him down more times than not...........but anyway I much anticipate the r4eturn of fowler and who can really doubt Benitez anyway.
    sorry guys (don´t hate me for this ) ok??;);):)

Three men, a Scouser, a Manc and a Rasta all in the maternity ward waiting for their partners to give birth. The midwife comes out and tells them congratulations, they're all fathers of beautiful healthy boys, however unfortunately they've run out of the name tags, and the babies have been mixed up, so if they could each go in and identify their sons from any family resemblance etc. The Manc wants to go first, so in he goes and comes out with a black baby The Rasta looks a bit confused, "excuse me", he said, "but don't you think he's likely to be mine ?" "Probably", said the Manc, "but one of them in there's a scouser, and I'm takin' no chances !!!!!"