The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• stu gee wrote:
    On the BBC 1 news this evening it went over to the sports desk

If the BBC told me it was Monday 1st of January 2007 I'd get my calender out and check. ;)

It's not been confirmed that Ferguson is on the transfer list. All that's been confirmed is that he's not in the squad for tomorrow. It may be more serious than that, probably is, but nothing else has been confirmed.
  • elmer wrote:
    glad to see bolton get done, Allerdyce sat there grimacing throughout looking a little reminiscent of Meatloaf with a hangover.

West Ham losing 2-0 to Reading, WTF. Itd be sooooo ironic if Pards Charlton were to clamber to safety and the Irons went down.
    I feel a slight tinge of pity for them.
    Liverpool were too much for us. They were the better team, no arguments. Although I'd appreciate your continued commentary of Big Sam's features. Everyone else does the same thing, and we keep winning.

Big Sam is a legend, diouf is a bit of a diver, although no where near as bad as when we 1st got him. We're just hoping to go back on a European tour.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    stu gee wrote:
    I agree that no one player is bigger than the team they play for but im not sure if this is the same, Le Guen has made a few strange decisions in his time at Rangers.
    same here..players need to remember that..its a HUGE problem in today's game.
    and i agree that maybe it isnt the same for this situation..Baz doesnt seem the type...think it was just pure frustration for a pretty bad season sadly.
    Liverpool were too much for us. They were the better team, no arguments. Although I'd appreciate your continued commentary of Big Sam's features. Everyone else does the same thing, and we keep winning.

Big Sam is a legend, diouf is a bit of a diver, although no where near as bad as when we 1st got him. We're just hoping to go back on a European tour.
    Bolton's defence just went to sleep in the second half...if not for Jaaskerlainen and poor finishing...it would have been a trashing.

Sam's a legend..i don't particularly enjoy how Bolton play all the time with too much physicality...but what he's done there is admirable definitely.
    Steve Coppell's on his way of doing the same i think for Reading.
    Diouf..what a disgrace...it did piss me off when he blew a kiss to the fans after diving in yesterday's game..can't believe i used to cheer for that guy when was wearing red.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • "Diouf..what a disgrace...it did piss me off when he blew a kiss to the fans after diving in yesterday's game..can't believe i used to cheer for that guy when was wearing red."

Definitely not my favorite White, but we actually love it when he does stuff like that. Mainly because we feel a bit slighted ourselves, so we love to watch him get the other team's fans in a lather. He always over does it against your lot though, too busy trying to prove a point.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    leeannbazpl2.jpg
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    leeannbazpl2.jpg
    heard he may be on his way to West Ham, does he get stuck in? thats whats needed.
  • elmer wrote:
    heard he may be on his way to West Ham, does he get stuck in? thats whats needed.

He plays in Scotland, if you don't get stuck in you get dropped for being a pussy. It's also a very fast flowing game, mainly because most teams punt the ball long from front to back. Barry Ferguson is however the best player in Scotland, he controls the whole match, demands the ball at all times, sets the tempo, plays some lovely defence splitting passes and gets forward quite a bit, but fails to score as often as he should. If he scored more goals he'd be the complete player IMO.

Despite all these positives he's a very moany player, if he misses a pass, it gets blamed on the receiver, whether they had a chance of getting it or not and if a young player makes a mistake they have Barry bawling at them for it. Le Guen doesn't like this side to his game and has apparently asked him many times to cut it out, which Ferguson hasn't done (I don't believe he can, not while he's captain anyway). He didn't fancy Alex McLeish as a manager so delibarately disobeyed his tactics and formations on the pitch, which resulted in Eck getting sacked and now he's trying the same with Le Guen, the difference is Le Guen has the balls to do something about it. I think being captain again after deserting us has gone to his head and he thought he was untouchable...hopefully Le Guen is just bringing him back to earth with this.

There's a meeting with Sir (yes, he got knighted) David Murray today to try and sort this mess out. I hope Ferguson swallows his pride and apologises and comes back into the team, but he won't be captain again, that's for sure. He's full of how he only wants to play for Rangers, he wants to be cremated in a Rangers top, etc, etc, etc, so lets see if he really means it. If he fucks off to a mid-table Premiership team yet again then he forget any more chances, he realised he made a big mistake going to Blackburn and I don't think he's keen to repeat this. Only if he goes to Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool could I understand, anything else is a step down, which he realised when he went to Blackburn.
    elmer wrote:
    Dick Advocaat is trying to get him to play in Russia for Zenit St Petersburg
    i think he will stay at Gers
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Dick Advocaat is trying to get him to play in Russia for Zenit St Petersburg
    i think he will stay at Gers

..who we already lost Fernando Ricksen to..cos le Guen had a fight with him. I mean can he not just deal with the player? fine them, give them a bollocking? wotever not pack them off ala' Bardsley too. I bet Fergie was in that dressing room shouting his mouth off! beat off St Johnstone! draw with St Mirren at home! we're a joke and i applaud him for standing up to team mates who look like they don't give a toss. FFS, ripping into the gutless players is the least i'd expect from a captain.
    I pray he stays at Rangers, i hope Murray can sort it out.
    FFS, ripping into the gutless players is the least i'd expect from a captain.
    me too
    it's the captain's job..not many captains do their job.
    glad Stevie G does do his shouting at players who don't pull their weight.

Aston Villa and Newcastle are the latest to show interest in Ferguson

YNWA
  • If Ferguson goes anywhere near that rat O'Neill at Villa I will erase him from my memory.
    Whitey_22 wrote:
    If Ferguson goes anywhere near that rat O'Neill at Villa I will erase him from my memory.
    lol!
    spoken like a true blue!

Juve want Crouch and are willing to offer Trezeguet..woah that shocked me but am pleased Crouchie is getting attention from Europe's best clubs.

YNWA
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    wow, it's been a while. thought i would come on and check whats been happening.

not surpised to see that wee barry is the main topic of conversation, i didnt come on just to have a go (although i am enjoying it) but i thought i would share my thoughts

Barry Ferguson is NOT the best player in Scotland. He's maybe the best scottish player in scotland.

Good on him for standing up for his team, i would hope the same thing would happen at Celtic if we were in the same situation. He obviously knows that something is wrong and has decided that someting needs to be done. It's just a pity that he didnt get the backing of other senior players (like big Elvis did at Hearts, not that it did him much good) because he now looks like a troublemaker whos had it in for the last couple of managers.

I think hes burned his bridges now and he has to go. I cant see the mint backing fergie cause then Le Guen will probably quit (although maybe thats what PLG is wanting) and it will cost rangers about 4 million to pay him off. So it will probably be back down to England and rangers will be lucky to get 2 million for him unless souness gets a job somewhere

anyway Happy New Year everyone and all the best for 2007
    Hail Hail
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    Le Guen has left Rangers

just on Sky Sports News so you can ignore my last point above
    Hail Hail
    evo wrote:
    Le Guen has left Rangers

yeh just read it meself...can't say am shocked but i guess the Gers fans will be happy cos it should mean Fergie stays..

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeh just read it meself...can't say am shocked but i guess the Gers fans will be happy cos it should mean Fergie stays..

Am fukin excited man :D
    Heard Coisty and Durrant are taking over for time being, also heard Walter is coming back..but anytime anything happens at Rangers Walter is meant to be coming back lol

Lucas Neill and Javier Mascherano on their way then? possibly?
    What i remember about Neill is the red card he got for showing Carra the studs haha! cos it was Fergie's debut for Rovers
    evo wrote:
    Le Guen has left Rangers

Ah a gloating celt ;)
    You must be gutted le naffer is gone lol
    Am fukin excited man :D
    Heard Coisty and Durrant are taking over for time being, also heard Walter is coming back..but anytime anything happens at Rangers Walter is meant to be coming back lol

Lucas Neill and Javier Mascherano on their way then? possibly?
    What i remember about Lucan Neill is the red card he got for showing Carra the studs haha! cos it was Fergie's debut for Rovers
    heard even Souness is in the running for the job!
    Walter Smith is better i guess though he did manage those stinkin' Evertonians!

Neill sucks...he just gave away another penalty last week..
    yeh he has good crosses but overall not worth it.
    Mascherano would be good cover for Alonso cos he does tire easy.
    really it was?
    good memory haha...all i remember was Baros and Carra badly injured and we won comfortably 3-1 with a brace from Judas

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    heard even Souness is in the running for the job!
    Walter Smith is better i guess though he did manage those stinkin' Evertonians!

Neill sucks...he just gave away another penalty last week..
    yeh he has good crosses but overall not worth it.
    Mascherano would be good cover for Alonso cos he does tire easy.
    really it was?
    good memory haha...all i remember was Baros and Carra badly injured and we won comfortably 3-1 with a brace from Judas
    Heard Coisty had a meeting with Murray earlier this evening..

haha!
    And u know my memory is shit! It's cos i read it recently is Barry's book, he was talking about his debut.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I can understand Rangers fans being happy that Le Guen is gone, i have repeatedly mocked him and my Rangers fan friends for his shocking performance as Rangers manager.

To be honest though, i cant see how this is a step in the right direction for Rangers because it completely questions the role of the manager/any manager who is at Rangers.

Barry Ferguson is a quality player, and an obvious diehard that any team would be privelaged to have the likes of in their team, but when he played under Mcleish he questioned his tac tics sometimes, and according to many reports, and from viewing past Rangers games, it appears he often played deliberately differently from the way the manager wanted, and played the way he felt was right.

It shouldnt be right that a player can have this much of an influence over the manager's status and future and i think they could have made a mistake in going about this in the way they have.

Who in the right mind will want the job now, knowing that if Barry Ferguson isnt happy with what you are doing you could be out the door?

I personally think they should bring in Ian Dowie now, that would be funny.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Souness? My God would that be a bad hire. He is awful. Shame he's still not in the English Prem. Easy 3 points every time.
    I hope they dont go for walter smith, i like what he is doing with Scotland and would like to see that continue. Souness did ok at Rangers in the past but then at Newcastle with a huge budget he was terrible. People have been mationing Billy Davies but he has a chance of taking Derby into the Premeirship so not sure if he'll be up for that.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    Barry Ferguson and Alex Mcleish laughed, laughed! when it was reported Fergie was picking the team/subs. Barry said it was very insulting to Eck, who he has a close friendship with to this day, Eck calls him Six. Dick Advocaat loved him, he made him captain and built the team around him. Walter Smith yep he loves him too. It's the kind of player Barry is, he's bossy, moany! he just wants to win, perfect captain. I don't buy this 'undermining' the boss, that speaks more about PLG's managing skills than anything else. On recent results what would Terry Butcher have done? sat down with a cup a tea to discuss things aye
    We were beat by St Johnstone, some people might not realise how big that is for Rangers that result alone, no way acceptable. He had a shot in the transfer market about 8 or 9 times, he wasn't good at buying players either. He packed off Nando, couldn't deal with Bardsley, anyone remember how good McGregor has been?? Mr "i am ze manager i make ze decisions" dropped him, then Barry the 1 player carrying the useless team

There is only 1 boss; Sir David Murray

I doubt very much Souie would be back. McCoist had a meeting with Murray today. Walter may be involved, Stuart McCall, Ian Durrant all rumoured to have roles ..the 9 in a row legends..that Barry learned from. If it's someone else, great, am just glad, something had to change
    Its still pretty strange that one day the manager relieves Ferguson of the captaincy, and is gone soon after.
    stu gee wrote:
    Its still pretty strange that one day the manager relieves Ferguson of the captaincy, and is gone soon after.
    Hows it strange? when it was a fukin crazy thing to do. It's the results, thats why he's off. The barry thing just ended it all. And all the other decisions he made i mentioned previous post
    Hows it strange? when it was a fukin crazy thing to do. It's the results, thats why he's off. The barry thing just ended it all. And all the other decisions he made i mentioned previous post

Its strange because it raises a question of how much influence one player might have over proceedings at a club. The vast majority of Rangers fans i have talked to today have agreed with me in saying that.

My friend sent me this, quite funny.

"What the media have portrayed to us:

1. PLG was the best.
    2. PLG was the worst.
    3. Chairman will always back the manager.
    4. Chairman right to back the player.
    5. 9 in a row mentality is what "we" need at Ibrox.
    6. Managerless team attempting to sign 3 players. Imagine that at CP. The whole club - board to ballboy would be murdered.who is picking the players ?
    7. Romanov is a joke for going into the dressing room.
    8. The Mint is a hero for going into the dressing room.
    9. Experience is what counts.
    10. Superswally is the right man - the dream team with Watty.

Aye, looks like a Murray Media Spin"
    stu gee wrote:
    Its strange because it raises a question of how much influence one player might have over proceedings at a club. The vast majority of Rangers fans i have talked to today have agreed with me in saying that.

My friend sent me this, quite funny.

"What the media have portrayed to us:

1. PLG was the best.
    2. PLG was the worst.
    3. Chairman will always back the manager.
    4. Chairman right to back the player.
    5. 9 in a row mentality is what "we" need at Ibrox.
    6. Managerless team attempting to sign 3 players. Imagine that at CP. The whole club - board to ballboy would be murdered.who is picking the players ?
    7. Romanov is a joke for going into the dressing room.
    8. The Mint is a hero for going into the dressing room.
    9. Experience is what counts.
    10. Superswally is the right man - the dream team with Watty.

Aye, looks like a Murray Media Spin"
    But who said one player has this much influence over proceedings at the club?? the media? We don't actually know what went on with Barry. An arrogant man running the club with no understanding or knowledge of British Football and culture stripping the capataincy off the fans favorite for bollocking a team that needed to get the finger out.
    All the Rangers fans i have talked to today agree with me ..you just have to read the Rangers forums to know this.
    As i keep saying it wasn't because of Barry PLG is gone, if we were 17 points ahead i think it might of been different.

Media spin yeh but Murray Media Spin? if it was, whats number 6 about?
    But who said one player has this much influence over proceedings at the club?? the media? We don't actually know what went on with Barry. An arrogant man running the club with no understanding or knowledge of British Football and culture stripping the capataincy off the fans favorite for bollocking a team that needed to get the finger out.
    All the Rangers fans i have talked to today agree with me ..you just have to read the Rangers forums to know this.
    As i keep saying it wasn't because of Barry PLG is gone, if we were 17 points ahead i think it might of been different.

Media spin yeh but Murray Media Spin? if it was, whats number 6 about?

I didnt write it so i dont know the reasoning behind each point

Who said that Eck laughed when asked if Baz picked the team? The media i presume.

Overall i just think its a bad sign that a descision by the manager to change the captaincy has apparently caused enough problems to result in him leaving. I think, and also posted in this thread, that Baz is an obvious Rangers diehard, and is thinking of the club when he makes his decisions, but perhaps he would be better advised to just get on with it and not complain so much. The idea that 'no one is bigger than the team' should mean something, like it does at Man U for example ie Ince, Stam.

I think that Paul Le Guen should have been given the time to construct the team the way HE saw fit. This season was very unsuccessful for Rangers domestically but they should have let him see it out at least.

Time will tell if this was the right descision for Murray to make (or whoever it was that made it). If Rangers improve this season then the fans will feel it was the right descision, but it may only be short term success.
    haha!
    And u know my memory is shit! It's cos i read it recently is Barry's book, he was talking about his debut.
    nah your memory isnt that bad ;)

looks like FIFA will not allow Mascherano to join Liverpool on loan although he has agreed terms with the club.
    ah well..we will probably go after him in June for 6 million

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    nah your memory isnt that bad ;)

looks like FIFA will not allow Mascherano to join Liverpool on loan although he has agreed terms with the club.
    ah well..we will probably go after him in June for 6 million

I'm deadly serious i have forgot the name of that club in NY that the Ramones used to play, you've told me 20 times!! :o

Fifa? i haven't heard about it. Ah well i was reading that Alonso is staying, he is happy and doesn't want to return to Spain.