The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    have u guys seen this?

Cruise Comforts Distraught Beckham
    Tom Cruise comforted David Beckham after the devastated soccer superstar was dropped from the England team last month. Beckham announced his resignation as England captain following the side's World Cup exit in July, and was then axed from the national squad by new coach Steve McClaren. And among the first people Beckham called was his friend Cruise, who in the past has flown to Spain to watch him play for Real Madrid. Beckham says, "When I got to America I phoned Tom. He's a great guy to be able to speak to because he is a very positive-minded person. It is good to have people around you at that point. He talked about everything I had done in the World Cup, about the goal I scored and the goals I set up. He said I was a great player, that I played for Real Madrid, I've got a healthy family and three boys and a wife who love me to bits. He's a great example of someone who stays positive through everything. And that's how I started to get over what had happened with the England news. I got over it that way, with friends around me."
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    i think Scientology got a new member...

inappropriate post.

• brhf9 wrote:
    have u guys seen this?

Cruise Comforts Distraught Beckham
    Tom Cruise comforted David Beckham after the devastated soccer superstar was dropped from the England team last month. Beckham announced his resignation as England captain following the side's World Cup exit in July, and was then axed from the national squad by new coach Steve McClaren. And among the first people Beckham called was his friend Cruise, who in the past has flown to Spain to watch him play for Real Madrid. Beckham says, "When I got to America I phoned Tom. He's a great guy to be able to speak to because he is a very positive-minded person. It is good to have people around you at that point. He talked about everything I had done in the World Cup, about the goal I scored and the goals I set up. He said I was a great player, that I played for Real Madrid, I've got a healthy family and three boys and a wife who love me to bits. He's a great example of someone who stays positive through everything. And that's how I started to get over what had happened with the England news. I got over it that way, with friends around me."

Yup I heard that as well. Funny, no?:D
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    am sure most of you have heard aboot Dario Silva..pretty tragic stuff..wish him all the best on his road to recovery
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    yeah, heavy shit. car accident i think...

inappropriate post.

• AxlUlrich wrote:
    am sure most of you have heard aboot Dario Silva..pretty tragic stuff..wish him all the best on his road to recovery

yeah, pretty sad and tragic situation.... doctors already amputed his leg case there was a risk of infection, I wish for him to recover the best as he can.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    AxlUlrich wrote:

Yeah, I just read it. Really sad for him, hope he recover well.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    sad part of it all is that Dario himself doesn't know he lost his leg as he is still sedated...
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Basile's list of players for the Oct. 11 friendly against Spain:

Roberto Abbondanzieri (Getafe – España); Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol – España); Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna – España); Leonardo Franco, Maximiliano Rodríguez y Sergio Agüero (Atlético de Madrid – España); Lionel Messi y Javier Saviola (Barcelona – España); Roberto Ayala (Valencia – España); Gabriel Milito, Leonardo Ponzio y Pablo Aimar (Zaragoza – España); Rodolfo Arruabarrena y Leandro Somoza (Villarreal – España); Gabriel Heinze (Manchester United – Inglaterra); Javier Mascherano y Carlos Tevez West Ham United – Inglaterra); Luis González (Porto – Portugal); Federico Insúa (Borussia Monchengladbach - Alemania); Daniel Bilos (Saint Etienne – Francia) y Hernán Crespo (Internazionale – Italia).

Thank God he didn't take any Boca or River players! haha. It would've been awful, because they wouldn't have been able to play the superclasico (Boca vs. River) on Oct. 8th! lol :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    sad part of it all is that Dario himself doesn't know he lost his leg as he is still sedated...

:eek:

that's awful!!!!! so so sad :( I hope he gets well soon.

♪ Juli ♪
  • AxlUlrich wrote:

Damn did he lose his leg? What happen?
  • Damn did he lose his leg? What happen?

a car accident in Uruguay, apparently he lost control of the car cause he was eating a snack, the other people that were in the car are ok but the pole that they crashed into smashed Dario Silva's leg... they had to amputate it to save his life and as Axl says he's in a coma so still doesn't even know about it.
  • Towerman wrote:
    a car accident in Uruguay, apparently he lost control of the car cause he was eating a snack, the other people that were in the car are ok but the pole that they crashed into smashed Dario Silva's leg... they had to amputate it to save his life and as Axl says he's in a coma so still doesn't even know about it.

That's haevy
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Basile's list of players for the Oct. 11 friendly against Spain:

Roberto Abbondanzieri (Getafe – España); Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol – España); Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna – España); Leonardo Franco, Maximiliano Rodríguez y Sergio Agüero (Atlético de Madrid – España); Lionel Messi y Javier Saviola (Barcelona – España); Roberto Ayala (Valencia – España); Gabriel Milito, Leonardo Ponzio y Pablo Aimar (Zaragoza – España); Rodolfo Arruabarrena y Leandro Somoza (Villarreal – España); Gabriel Heinze (Manchester United – Inglaterra); Javier Mascherano y Carlos Tevez West Ham United – Inglaterra); Luis González (Porto – Portugal); Federico Insúa (Borussia Monchengladbach - Alemania); Daniel Bilos (Saint Etienne – Francia) y Hernán Crespo (Internazionale – Italia).

Thank God he didn't take any Boca or River players! haha. It would've been awful, because they wouldn't have been able to play the superclasico (Boca vs. River) on Oct. 8th! lol :)

that's cool the they both will have their full squads for the CLasico, specially Boca that eventually will make up the majority of the national team, in River I only see Belluschi with options.... but in the other hand I really would have like to see Palacio playing against Spain, so he could show that not always european teams buy the best south american players....
    Palacio > Cruz, Crespo, Rosales, Milito and the list goes on and on
  • Re: Dario Silva's accident.

I posted this on another football forum, so I'll share here:
    I may get flamed for this, but here goes:

This wasn't a "tragedy." It was a very unfortunate accident that really could have been avoided. Like I said, I feel very sorry for Silva, because having your career and life ripped away from you like that is an unexpected blow, and obviously in this case, accidents like these can have very terrible consequences. Trust me: I know how it feels to have something you feel so passionately about get taken away from you very suddenly.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was in part irresponsible behavior that caused this. Now, there's no telling for now if he was in fact wearing a seat belt, and there's no telling that even if he was, if it would have prevented this. If he was in fact wearing one, I take back everything I say here. There's not enough facts for now. It just bothers me when famous athletes get into wrecks and all of a sudden it's a tragedy when most of the time, it was their own error of judgment (or in some cases, sheer stupidity) that led to their own plight. Happens all the time in the US, with Ben Roethlisberger the most recent example.

Some perspective would help, though. There are wars and civil wars going on around the world. Children are dying of hunger. People are abused physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually every day. People lack the simple basic necessities. THOSE, my friends, are tragedies.

I say all the above with all due respect to Uruguayans. It's a huge blow for the national team. I hope Silva will be able to find a way to put his experience to positive use. There's no telling how much of an inspiration he can now be to other physically handicapped people in his homeland.

Fire away. Since I posted that, I've found out that he was in fact driving without a seatbelt on and now I find out he was eating while driving.
    Towerman wrote:
    that's cool the they both will have their full squads for the CLasico, specially Boca that eventually will make up the majority of the national team, in River I only see Belluschi with options.... but in the other hand I really would have like to see Palacio playing against Spain, so he could show that not always european teams buy the best south american players....
    Palacio > Cruz, Crespo, Rosales, Milito and the list goes on and on

Completely agree :)

Even though I'd rather have Palacio playing against River, I would've definitely like seeing him play against Spain, so he can show off his skills, and that he's the best there is at the moment.

And yes, Belluschi seems to have a very bright future.

♪ Juli ♪
  • PeryPery Posts: 1,740
    Horacio Elizondo was chosen to be the ref in the Superclásico.
    Buenos Aires 25 - 11 - 2005
    Buenos Aires 26 - 11 - 2005

********Proud 2 b Jammer!*******
    Pery wrote:
    Horacio Elizondo was chosen to be the ref in the Superclásico.

Awesome. well...yeah, that makes sense :) I was expecting him to do so. He's good so good news :D

♪ Juli ♪
  • well hsv as lost in the bl too
    and on saturday they play in frankfurt ...can they win ???i never give up hope bec. the potential is there !!!

and manu played just 1:1 vs reading and they are playing in old trafford vs newcastle can they win...yes...
    Tomorrow Boca plays against Nacional for the Copa Sudamericana. I think it's the round of 16.

San Lorenzo and others play too...but who cares about them? :p hehe :D

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Tomorrow Boca plays against Nacional for the Copa Sudamericana. I think it's the round of 16.

San Lorenzo and others play too...but who cares about them? :p hehe :D

As always good luck!!!
    Klumpie wrote:
    As always good luck!!!

Danks :)

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Danks :)

So what did Boca Juniors????
    Klumpie wrote:
    So what did Boca Juniors????

Nothing yet. The match is gonna start in 2 and a half hours :) (8.30 USA eastern time I believe...)

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Nothing yet. The match is gonna start in 2 and a half hours :) (8.30 USA eastern time I believe...)

So you guys won with 2-1, or am I wrong???
    Klumpie wrote:
    So you guys won with 2-1, or am I wrong???

Wrong. Lost 2-1.

Nacional were beating us up during the first half and scored the 2 goals within the 1st 20 minutes of the game. Then Palermo, one of our strikers, got sent off. Then before the 1st half was over, a dude from Nacional was sent off. On the second half Boca got better, Palacio scored a goal and could've scored a lot more...lol.

But it's an OK result either way, because since the goal in an away game counts double, it's as if we were tied, so when we play in our stadium we could just win 1-0 and go on to the quaterfinals, but we'll have to be careful not to let them score many goals because theirs would be worth double.

And apparently there's a history to this...and Boca hasn't been able to beat Nacional in official matches for a looooooong time :p Plus keep in mind that a lot of our best players didn't play and Lavolpe kinda fucked up the team with his new "system," heheheh :D .

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Wrong. Lost 2-1.

Nacional were beating us up during the first half and scored the 2 goals within the 1st 20 minutes of the game. Then Palermo, one of our strikers, got sent off. Then before the 1st half was over, a dude from Nacional was sent off. On the second half Boca got better, Palacio scored a goal and could've scored a lot more...lol.

But it's an OK result either way, because since the goal in an away game counts double, it's as if we were tied, so when we play in our stadium we could just win 1-0 and go on to the quaterfinals, but we'll have to be careful not to let them score many goals because theirs would be worth double.

And apparently there's a history to this...and Boca hasn't been able to beat Nacional in official matches for a looooooong time :p Plus keep in mind that a lot of our best players didn't play and Lavolpe kinda fucked up the team with his new "system," heheheh :D .

ah sorry, my spanish isn't that good :p I read something about 2-1 but I couldn't figure out who won.
    Klumpie wrote:
    ah sorry, my spanish isn't that good :p I read something about 2-1 but I couldn't figure out who won.

haha :D no prob.

Even though it kinda sucks that we lost, it's not that bad :) We can turn it around completely on the 2nd leg :D

EDIT: OH! and yesterday during the broadcast they mentioned PSV :) haha. They were talking about when was the last time Nacional won the Libertadores cup, and they said it was in '88, and then they told how they went on to play the Intercontinental cup against PSV.

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    haha :D no prob.

Even though it kinda sucks that we lost, it's not that bad :) We can turn it around completely on the 2nd leg :D

Ok, well I wish you all the best with that match :)
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    EDIT: OH! and yesterday during the broadcast they mentioned PSV :) haha. They were talking about when was the last time Nacional won the Libertadores cup, and they said it was in '88, and then they told how they went on to play the Intercontinental cup against PSV.

Too bad that you remind with that. :D