The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Towerman wrote:
    those are just cold statistics.... ;)

and against Serbia it was all about Messi and Tevez

mmm...I'm not so sure about that. They came in during the second half, during the first half the team scored 3 goals without them, they did the beautiful goal with the 20 something passes, etc. That game was an all around team effort, there wasn't ONE player one could single out as the star. And this team work attitude is what led to the result and to Argentina playing so well.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
    I thought that Pekerman went out of his way to field him. I thought he would have done better giving his spot to someone else. Someone that would have taken the pressure of the other midfielders. They had to do all his dirty work, because he won't defend. Messi should have started.

We MIGHT've been better off with Aimar in his place...

♪ Juli ♪
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Pearl_Juli wrote:

Yep, Aimar is 10 times better then the overrated Messi.
    Klumpie wrote:

Oh no! not in place of Messi. Aimar in place of Riquelme.

Perhaps I would've given more chances to Palacio though instead of Messi.

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Oh no! not in place of Messi. Aimar in place of Riquelme.

Perhaps I would've given more chances to Palacio though instead of Messi.

Still Aimar is 10 times better then Messi.
  • Klumpie wrote:
    Still Aimar is 10 times better then Messi.

the thing with Messi is that the media sometimes seems to forget that he's only 18!.... maradona became the best player in the world at 26, Ronaldinho exploded in Barcelona at 25, same with Zidane. Only Pele and Ronaldo were considered the best players in the world before their 20's.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    mmm...I'm not so sure about that. They came in during the second half, during the first half the team scored 3 goals without them, they did the beautiful goal with the 20 something passes, etc. That game was an all around team effort, there wasn't ONE player one could single out as the star. And this team work attitude is what led to the result and to Argentina playing so well.

my bad, you're right... I had forgotten that they came on that game as subs in the 2nd half.
  • dkst0426 wrote:
    With all due respect, Dutch teams and players are nothing if not enigmatic.

And the point of what you say is?

Is this a reaction on my critic on Riquelme?
    The comparison of Seedorf and Riquelme?

What do you want with this statement?
    I have no clue how I should see it.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:

I didn't mean Messi playing the role of Riquelme. They don't compare in style. Yes if you would want a playmaker, a number ten I would have gone with Aimar. I however would use the open spot to field Messi in a different role. I would have let him play as he does for Barca. Might even consider Scolari (not sure if I have the name quite right, but I mean the Inter and former Real left winger) coming from the left.
  • Klumpie wrote:

Oh come on be real.:D you are just rebelling against a common notion.
    The guy has a great flow to his game. You might think Aimar is a better player, but Messi is definitely a good player with a lot of skill and he can also make a goal.
    I didn't mean Messi playing the role of Riquelme. They don't compare in style. Yes if you would want a playmaker, a number ten I would have gone with Aimar. I however would use the open spot to field Messi in a different role. I would have let him play as he does for Barca. Might even consider Scolari (not sure if I have the name quite right, but I mean the Inter and former Real left winger) coming from the left.

I didn't mean that either. I meant to say put Aimar in for Riquelme, to fill the roll of playmaker.

Maybe Messi should've had more chances to play.
    In my own, personal case, and like I've stated previously, I would've given Palacio more chances to play, just because of the fantastic things he's shown in Boca. And chances are, the world will get to see more of him with the "albiceleste" now that Basile is the coach.

I think you might mean Lionel Scaloni??? I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like that's the name you were looking for :)

♪ Juli ♪
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:

I think you might mean Lionel Scaloni??? I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like that's the name you were looking for :)

He meant SOLARI, left winger from Inter as Karma said... he also played from Real and Atletico Madrid and River Plate in Argentina but maybe you don't remember him cause they sold him to Europe very young.
    Towerman wrote:
    He meant SOLARI, left winger from Inter as Karma said... he also played from Real and Atletico Madrid and River Plate in Argentina but maybe you don't remember him cause they sold him to Europe very young.

ha! Solari!!!!!! yes, of course I remember.

Sorry, I was thinking only of the people on the '06 team :p my bad :o

♪ Juli ♪
  • Messi should have started.
    No, he really shouldn't. You forget that he was out injured right up until the week before the World Cup kicked off? If Messi had started, he'd have been useless by the second half of the Argentinian opener.
  • And the point of what you say is?

Is this a reaction on my critic on Riquelme?
    The comparison of Seedorf and Riquelme?

What do you want with this statement?
    I have no clue how I should see it.
    Then don't respond. If you can't see the context I was saying that in, don't worry about it--someone else already picked up on it.
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    ha! Solari!!!!!! yes, of course I remember.

Sorry, I was thinking only of the people on the '06 team :p my bad :o

ha, no problema... I don't think he ever played in the national team before anyway
    Oh come on be real.:D you are just rebelling against a common notion.

Well, somebody has to do it. Otherwise we can only agree ;)

Messi is for sure a good footballer, but just like Towerman said he is only 18. Give him the time he needed, he isn't on the same level as Ronaldinho at this moment. He can be as good as Ronaldinho, but don't expect that at this moment. Otherwise he will be the new Ronaldo and is he 200 kilos if he reach his 28th birthday.
  • Hmm Wales vs Brazil tonight. Should be interesting :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • dkst0426 wrote:
    No, he really shouldn't. You forget that he was out injured right up until the week before the World Cup kicked off? If Messi had started, he'd have been useless by the second half of the Argentinian opener.

Yes he really should have started. Who said anything about fielding him before he was ready? Did you?;)
    I sure as hell didn't. You assume only that I did.
  • Klumpie wrote:
    Well, somebody has to do it. Otherwise we can only agree ;)

Well yeah it's a dirty job and someone has to do it.:D I'm just glade that this time it isn't me.;)
    Klumpie wrote:
    Messi is for sure a good footballer, but just like Towerman said he is only 18. Give him the time he needed, he isn't on the same level as Ronaldinho at this moment. He can be as good as Ronaldinho, but don't expect that at this moment. Otherwise he will be the new Ronaldo and is he 200 kilos if he reach his 28th birthday.

Yes he 18, but there were lots of experienced players to help him. No he isn't on the level of Ronaldinho yet. I didn't expect him to be Ronaldinho, I expected Lionell Messi.;)
    In your horrorshow comparison to Ronaldo you forget one thing, Ronaldo didn't play one minute back in 94 and it still happened. So your story seems to go a bit limb. I do understand what you mean, but see more cause it the guidance of Ronaldo than in did he play or not.
    Messi should have played because the world cup is a beautiful event for football fans all over the world and they got cheated out of seeing Messi. It is a cliché, but it is true if a player is good enough, than he is old enough. And for me he showed more spirit and energy than Riquelme did.
  • Towerman wrote:

Yup that's the guy. I really like him, the only reason he didn't make it at Real was because they had to let the big names and signings play. He is a very good leftwinger. A forward section with Messi-Crespo-Solari would have been nice.
    It is a cliché, but it is true if a player is good enough, than he is old enough.

Hij komt net van de borst af;)

He just stopped drinking of mamma's tits ;)
  • Yes he really should have started. Who said anything about fielding him before he was ready? Did you?;)
    I sure as hell didn't. You assume only that I did.
    The discussion was about the World Cup, and you say that Messi should have started more. Thus, the assumption really isn't that much of a leap to make.

Either that, or you're just happy going back to your normal ways and acting like a twat towards me. Whatever.
    Messi should have played because the world cup is a beautiful event for football fans all over the world and they got cheated out of seeing Messi. It is a cliché, but it is true if a player is good enough, than he is old enough. And for me he showed more spirit and energy than Riquelme did.
    That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Play a guy barely recovering from an injury and not yet match-fit just because the team owes it to the fans? If that had happened, then Pekerman would've been ripped for playing an unfit player--and I bet you'd have been one of the first in line to post something critical.
  • Klumpie wrote:
    Hij komt net van de borst af;)

He just stopped drinking of mamma's tits ;)

Hahahahahaha:D:D
  • dkst0426 wrote:
    The discussion was about the World Cup, and you say that Messi should have started more. Thus, the assumption really isn't that much of a leap to make.

No it isn't a big leap, but it still is an assumption that you made. I merely pointed out that you were wrong in assuming it. I didn't forget that he was injured and I didn't forget that he was good enough after at least the second match. He actually was in the starting line up against Holland so that is not at all a strange idea. You think Riquelme is a great player, hey I don't deny you the right to feel that way. I just think differently. I would have used that spot to give to Messi.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Either that, or you're just happy going back to your normal ways and acting like a twat towards me. Whatever.

First of all you came in and said that what I thought was not a good idea. That's OK, why I can't say that I do think it's a good idea in reply is beyond me. I'm not gonna change my idea because you have a different one.

In the second place I never attacked or acted like a twat towards you. You just felt that I did, I explained to you that it wasn't the case. If you want to hold on to the idea that I do than I can't help that, but it seems to me that it could also be nice to know that it isn't the case. That is up to you.

I don't quite understand why it is alright for you to disagree with people, but if I disagree with you it's a problem. I don't think I have said anything that could be considered as offending so I really don't understand what it is you feel that I did wrong.

This however is the second time that you used language towards me that at the very least lacks respect. I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but in my circles it is not considered nice to tell someone to shut up or refer to him as a twat.

Now I'd be way better of and I would enjoy it a lot more if you didn't feel attack so quick. However I can not control that. You do with what I just said what you think you must, but I hope you see it the way I do. It is alright to disagree and there is no need to take it personal. I even tried to reply in the tone you stroke in your post, so I did pretty much everything I could do to please you. Still I kind of get the feeling that you don't see any space for me to disagree with what you say and that is pretty hard, because I am not giving up my ideas just because an other person has a different opinion. If you want to get me to see something differently you should have arguments that I think are good. If I don't think your arguments are good than well we will disagree and that doesn't really matter.
  • dkst0426 wrote:

That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Play a guy barely recovering from an injury and not yet match-fit just because the team owes it to the fans? If that had happened, then Pekerman would've been ripped for playing an unfit player--and I bet you'd have been one of the first in line to post something critical.

Dude you really have a problem with respect. Here you are crying about the things I same when I reply to you and you can't even come up with the decency to reply in a normal fashion.
    You are starting to give me the idea that you think only your opinion counts. I don't give a thing for it whether you think it is ridiculous or not. This is my opinion and you know what several ex players and way more fans have expressed the same thing. I don't care whether you think he should or should not have played. You bet all you want. It is a fact that he played first eleven against Holland, there is no denying that.

I suggest next time you show a little more respect. Not for what I say (hell if you see it differently), but for me as a human being.
  • ::YAWN::

Ok, anyway............

West Ham takeover in the works?

Gee, the Russian invasion continues. I can't wait to find out exactly how much involvement a certain "oil" billionaire owner of a certain other London club has to do with this.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:

cool videos..., I like better the first one but the 2nd one is mad funny
    Towerman wrote:
    cool videos..., I like better the first one but the 2nd one is mad funny

haha :D same here. The first one was cooler, specially at the end when they make the "Joga Bonito dude" make the "chivita!" sign :p hahaha.

The Master Card ads never get old though :D

♪ Juli ♪