The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    That wasn't the system I meant. I imagined the system they have played last year and the year before. 4-3-3 puts him on his alone in the centre.
    Sure Rooney comes to the centre from the left, but they haven't played a two strikers system for quite some time now. It was something that Ruud was hoping for because he feels more comfortable in a 4-4-2.
    Uhm, United played 4-5-1 a lot more than they played 4-3-3 last year.
  • dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    The Argentine Apertura Tournament. What is it, a pre season tournament?
    Unlike the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Eredivisie, Bundesliga, etc. which compete all season long, in Argentina (and a lot of other South American nations), the first half of the season is called the Apertura and the second half is the Clausura. Each half of the season has its own champion.
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Unlike the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Eredivisie, Bundesliga, etc. which compete all season long, in Argentina (and a lot of other South American nations), the first half of the season is called the Apertura and the second half is the Clausura. Each half of the season has its own champion.

Exactly.

In other news...and most people probably don't give a rat's ass...lol ...

Boca just won 3-0 against Banfield. yay! I'm happy :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Uhm, United played 4-5-1 a lot more than they played 4-3-3 last year.

I've seen them play most of the time with C. Ronaldo-van Nistelrooij-Rooney. And the way that C. Ronaldo and Rooney played wasn't on midfield. I don't know maybe I saw different matches than you did. Maybe you could call what I saw 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1, but Rooney didn't play as a midfielder in the matches I saw. Anyway the way I saw them play at the Amsterdam tournament against Ajax didn't suggest any major changes from what they've played last year.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Exactly.

In other news...and most people probably don't give a rat's ass...lol ...

Boca just won 3-0 against Banfield. yay! I'm happy :)

hip, hip,......:D
    dkst0426 wrote:

And they play one last match against each other? Weird that it is called a tournament though and not a league or a championship. It is not what I expect when I hear the word tournament.
    And they play one last match against each other?

Well, no. There isn't a last match between the Apertura winner and the Clausura winner. They're considered 2 different championships. If a team wins the Apertura and the Clausura, they are considered "Bicampeones" (or bichampions), like Boca Juniors is right now :D (we just started the path to the TRIchampionship today :) hehe)

Weird that it is called a tournament though and not a league or a championship. It is not what I expect when I hear the word tournament.

haha :D true...

It's called the Torneo Apertura...but whoever wins it is said to have won "el campeonato" (the championship). So I guess it is actually a championship...they just formally call it torneo, and I'm not sure why :confused: But is IS considered a championship...does that make any sense? :p

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Well, no. There isn't a last match between the Apertura winner and the Clausura winner. They're considered 2 different championships. If a team wins the Apertura and the Clausura, they are considered "Bicampeones" (or bichampions), like Boca Juniors is right now :D (we just started the path to the TRIchampionship today :) hehe)

Who gets to play in the Copa the libertadores?

Pearl_Juli wrote:
    haha :D true...

It's called the Torneo Apertura...but whoever wins it is said to have won "el campeonato" (the championship). So I guess it is actually a championship...they just formally call it torneo, and I'm not sure why :confused: But is IS considered a championship...does that make any sense? :p

:D not really. hahaha, but I get the picture.
    Who gets to play in the Copa the libertadores?

:D not really. hahaha, but I get the picture.

To tell you the truth, I do not understand who gets to play the Copa Libertadores AT ALL :confused: Logic tells me that it should be the teams that ended the championship on the top positions of the table, but Boca won everything last year and they didn't play this Libertadores...so I honestly don't have a clue, and it's something I always wondered about, so if anybody knows how the teams who get to play the Libertadores are determined, PLEASE explain it to me! :)

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    To tell you the truth, I do not understand who gets to play the Copa Libertadores AT ALL :confused: Logic tells me that it should be the teams that ended the championship on the top positions of the table, but Boca won everything last year and they didn't play this Libertadores...so I honestly don't have a clue, and it's something I always wondered about, so if anybody knows how the teams who get to play the Libertadores are determined, PLEASE explain it to me! :)

Hahahahaha. So it is not exactly the Champions league hey. Not that the Champions league is the actual league of champions.:D
    Hahahahaha. So it is not exactly the Champions league hey. Not that the Champions league is the actual league of champions.:D

:confused: huh?

:D lol. Wow...that right there sounds more confusing than the Libertadores deal :p hahaha :D

mmmm....how many international club championships are in Europe? Would the UEFA be the equivalent of the Copa Libertadores or the Copa Sudamericana? (btw, the winners of the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana DO play a final match to determine the winner of the "Recopa")

Oh no...I think this gets even more confusing :o

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    :confused: huh?

:D lol. Wow...that right there sounds more confusing than the Libertadores deal :p hahaha :D

mmmm....how many international club championships are in Europe? Would the UEFA be the equivalent of the Copa Libertadores or the Copa Sudamericana? (btw, the winners of the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana DO play a final match to determine the winner of the "Recopa")

Oh no...I think this gets even more confusing :o

I meant that not only the champions play champions league. Depending one how high a country is listed on the UEFA table they can enter 4,3,2 or only just the champion. If you are really low you have to play qualifying matches even as the champion. for instance England have two clubs that qualify directly (the numbers 1 and 2 of last season) and two clubs that have to play qualifying matches (the numbers 3 and 4)

Again the position on the UEFA table determines how many clubs of a country can play UEFA cup.
    Holland has PSV (directly) and Ajax (qualifying) playing champions league and Feyenoord, SC Heerenveen, AZ and FC Groningen playing UEFA cup.

The match between the winners is at the start of the new season and isn't that important. Kind of like the world cup for club teams, it is nice if you win, but if you lose….. oh well.
    I meant that not only the champions play champions league. Depending one how high a country is listed on the UEFA table they can enter 4,3,2 or only just the champion. If you are really low you have to play qualifying matches even as the champion. for instance England have two clubs that qualify directly (the numbers 1 and 2 of last season) and two clubs that have to play qualifying matches (the numbers 3 and 4)

Again the position on the UEFA table determines how many clubs of a country can play UEFA cup.
    Holland has PSV (directly) and Ajax (qualifying) playing champions league and Feyenoord, SC Heerenveen, AZ and FC Groningen playing UEFA cup.

The match between the winners is at the start of the new season and isn't that important. Kind of like the world cup for club teams, it is nice if you win, but if you lose….. oh well.

That's pretty much how the Copa Sudamericana works as well. I suppose that would be the equivalent of the UEFA then.

I still would like to solve the "Libertadores" mystery :D hahaha.

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    That's pretty much how the Copa Sudamericana works as well. I suppose that would be the equivalent of the UEFA then.

I still would like to solve the "Libertadores" mystery :D hahaha.

BRHF9 is active, he is from Brazil maybe he can help.
    How about it BRHF9 do you have the answer to this mystery?
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    BRHF9 is active, he is from Brazil maybe he can help.

hola chica, i'm here to help you...

as long as i know, this year the teams from ARGHentina were:

Newell's Old Boys - Torneio Apertura 2004/2005
    Vélez Sarsfield - Torneio Clausura 2004/2005
    Estudiantes de La Plata - Most points in the 2004/2005 season
    Rosario Central - 2nd best " "
    River Plate - 3rd best " "

so for next year you can expect Boca to join the fun again... ;)

edit: i was forgetting, 2 back-to-back Brazil-only finals. you guys need to step-up again...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    brhf9 wrote:

edit: i was forgetting, 2 back-to-back Brazil-only finals. you guys need to step-up again...

So there is a gap of one year, is that right?
    brhf9 wrote:

THANK YOU! :D now it all makes sense. So it's determined by the top teams from the previous year, right? Thanks for solving "the mystery" lol.

Yeah, that's true. But that's because Boca didn't play... ;) we'll get 'em next yeat :D haha. Either way, I'd rather see a Brazilian team win, than RIVER PLATE! :p

And to Karma: apparently, and according to a CONMEBOL article, there IS a match between the Apertura and Clausura winners to decide who is the champion of the whole season. (that's news to me, I never heard about it before :eek: )

♪ Juli ♪
    So there is a gap of one year, is that right?

i don't know when the 'clausura' tournament ends, but i believe they have a little gap. 6 months/a year as you said.

but she doesn't need to wory. unlike our national squad, our teams are rulling the continen, pretty easily...t

inappropriate post.

brhf9 wrote:
    i don't know when the 'clausura' tournament ends, but i believe they have a little gap. 6 months/a year as you said.

but she doesn't need to wory. unlike our national squad, our teams are rulling the continen, pretty easily...t

Nono I meant a gap between one year of ending high in the league and playing Copa. If the teams that did well in'04/'05 play now that means they play in '06/'07, what happend to the year in between?
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    THANK YOU! :D now it all makes sense. So it's determined by the top teams from the previous year, right? Thanks for solving "the mystery" lol.

Yeah, that's true. But that's because Boca didn't play... ;) we'll get 'em next yeat :D haha. Either way, I'd rather see a Brazilian team win, than RIVER PLATE! :p

And to Karma: apparently, and according to a CONMEBOL article, there IS a match between the Apertura and Clausura winners to decide who is the champion of the whole season. (that's news to me, I never heard about it before :eek: )

no problema. mi casa, su casa...

but can i get a kiss with this 'thank you'? just kiding...

anyway, what is Boca's first team this season?

any new player we should pay more atention?

inappropriate post.

Pearl_Juli wrote:

OK that does make more sence. Thanks.
    Nono I meant a gap between one year of ending high in the league and playing Copa. If the teams that did well in'04/'05 play now that means they play in '06/'07, what happend to the year in between?

libertadores is played in only one year, at the lenght of 6 months. the finals are on the next 2 weeks, and after that only at 2007.

i believe Argentina runs their national championships just like Europe. starting on the 2nd semester of one year and ending that on the late 1st semester.
    in Brazil all the tournaments starts and ends on the same year.

inappropriate post.

brhf9 wrote:
    libertadores is played in only one year, at the lenght of 6 months. the finals are on the next 2 weeks, and after that only at 2007.

i believe Argentina runs their national championships just like Europe. starting on the 2nd semester of one year and ending that on the late 1st semester.
    in Brazil all the tournaments starts and ends on the same year.

Aha, that clears things up.:D
    brhf9 wrote:
    anyway, what is Boca's first team this season?

Today was Boca's first game. We won 3-0 against Banfield. The team played great today. Next game is against Rosario Central.
    brhf9 wrote:
    any new player we should pay more atention?

Maybe Guillermo Marino. He transfered from Newells I believe, and he's here to replace Federico Insua, a midfielder, who was transfered to a German club. He has potential.

And just like last season, Rodrigo Palacio. He's a great playmaker and scores a lot of goals. I would say he's our best player.

We don't have many new players, just the goalkeeper Aldo Bobadilla in for Abbondanzieri, Marino in for Insua, and a guy who used to play for Banfield, I don't remember his name, but he couldn't play today because of an article outlined in his contract about playing against Banfield. Apparently Banfield owns 50% of his pass, or something like that.

And as always, the old legends Palermo and "Guillermo" lol :D the dynamic duo.

Also, we're looking for a new coach, since Basile is going to leave Boca after the Recopa in September to become the National Team's coach.

♪ Juli ♪
    Pearl_Juli wrote:

And as always, the old legends Palermo and "Guillermo" lol :D the dynamic duo.

schelotto? is he still playing?

anyway, good luck!!!

inappropriate post.

brhf9 wrote:
    schelotto? is he still playing?

Yep. He'll probably retire in Boca. And he's made his place as a legend in the club. In the last minutes of a game, or whenever things get sticky, la doce and every Boca fan start chanting his name and asking the coach to let him in, lol. He always solves the "problem."

brhf9 wrote:
    anyway, good luck!!!

Thanks!!! :D

♪ Juli ♪
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Ibrox Stadium, Saturday 5.8.06

leeannspi1.jpg

srw5.jpg
    Ibrox Stadium, Saturday 5.8.06

leeannspi1.jpg

srw5.jpg

At first I thought oh dear here we go again, but with that 2-2 you actually won one point on Celtic. Good job:D
  • I'm not up on Liverpool's current roster for upcoming season but I will wait for Bobbie M. on FSC to give me the low down. I hope Cisse recovers from that nasty break pre -WC since he is an exciting player to watch.

What did anyone think about MLS Allstars B team beating Chelsea? I know the game was meaningless but I was shocked at how off Chelsea looked ... even during pre-season. I expected the Blues to win or tie at minimum. You have to admit that Dwayne De Rosario's goal was sweet and should be highly rated on goals of the week.I'm sure Jose is not too worried about his boys since he has proven can get the job done and they are loaded with talent.

I predict Bruce Arena will be able to make NY Red Bulls respectable too and make US Soccer regret letting him go. And I can't stand Eric Wynalda and I almost threw my beer through my tv on SAT having to listen to that fool do the Chelsea game. At least I'm increasing my spanish comprehension but switching to univison or telemundo.

Cheers

Kip