Options

The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    just wanted to share soccer news
    I have been pushing for a soccer program for kids at the school I work at and finally we have one!

that´s cool;)
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    bad choice for fergie! how do they replace the 20plus goals that he provides every year? smith/saha/solsjaer/rooney/rossi
    are any of thes gonna step up? I dont seea prolific striker among them and past seasons confirm this

ruud and fergi where allways having trouble so it was the best choice for both i think...i don´t know what he will do but we will see...
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    ruud and fergi where allways having trouble so it was the best choice for both i think...i don´t know what he will do but we will see...
    he has to buy unless yous wanna slip behind liverpol as well as chelsea, whats happening with this signing of Senna? think he´d be a good signing on top of carrick.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    he has to buy unless yous wanna slip behind liverpol as well as chelsea, whats happening with this signing of Senna? think he´d be a good signing on top of carrick.

i know he has to buy somebody same as hamburg ....i don´t know...
  • Options
    i know he has to buy somebody same as hamburg ....i don´t know...
    thought you were man u? hamburgers need cheese, some onions tho I prefer the burgers to have hot sticky cheese within their centre, few chips maybe as well
  • Options
    manu is my fave club in the epl ....and allways no 1 is HSV for shure i am born here live here and i am in the stadium since i´m small;)
  • Options
    manu is my fave club in the epl ....and allways no 1 is HSV for shure i am born here live here and i am in the stadium since i´m small;)
    thought you were moving to england,,,,,,,,,,your name reminds me of a female godzilla, rampant and roaming before mating with the green godzilla himself....no offense or anything but me just thinks of a big green thing
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    thought you were moving to england,,,,,,,,,,your name reminds me of a female godzilla, rampant and roaming before mating with the green godzilla himself....no offense or anything but me just thinks of a big green thing

i want to but moving away is harder than i thought ...next year we are moving ...
  • Options
    i watched a testmatch from liverpool vs kaiserslautern ....

and i think i´ve a problem ....:D
  • Options
    Manu payed 27 millions (euro ) for Carrick .i am not sure if he is the right man .is he that word?
  • Options
    Manu payed 27 millions (euro ) for Carrick .i am not sure if he is the right man .is he that word?
    I wouldnt have put him at that much but I think fergie knew he had to get someone in the middle,,,,,,,carrick can be impressive and has still time to get better but it still smacks of desperation
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    I wouldnt have put him at that much but I think fergie knew he had to get someone in the middle,,,,,,,carrick can be impressive and has still time to get better but it still smacks of desperation

okey....we will see how everthing goes...
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    SPL kicked off at the w/e

Motherwell 1 Rangers 2

SPL = Scottish Premier League

:D
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    elmer wrote:
    bad choice for fergie! how do they replace the 20plus goals that he provides every year? smith/saha/solsjaer/rooney/rossi
    are any of thes gonna step up? I dont seea prolific striker among them and past seasons confirm this
    The problem from past seasons has not been a lack of a finisher. Rooney/Saha/Smith/Rossi/Solksjaer (and eventually Dong once he gets his work permit) will be fine. It's the service from the midfield. Think about United's midfield in the last 5 years:

1. Beckham leaves
    2. Keane gets older and plays a more defensive role and has injury problems
    3. Scholes has a loss of form and then goes down to injuries
    4. The Alan Smith experiment fails
    5. Solksjaer does a decent job filling in for Becks, but goes down to injury
    6. Ronaldo comes in and still has trouble being a decent crosser of the ball
    7. Giggs loses a step (natural for his age) and can't do it alone

United's goalscoring issues have not been the fault of the strikers. They're only going to be as good as the service they get.

And they still scored tied Chelsea for most goals scored last season, so I suggest you actually figure out stuff before posting rather than just slamming players.
  • Options
    I assume you meant "is he worth that much?"

Short answer: yes

Long answer: In this day and age of inflated transfer fees for big-name players, courtesy of clubs like Real Madrid and Chelski totally overpaying and overvaluing players, everyone else's transfer fees get dictated by the market. £5.5 mil for Emile Heskey? £5 mil for an oft-injured Damien Duff? Come on. Just think: it was less than 20 years ago that the top transfer fee in Britain was £2.3 million (Gary Pallister to United).

In the context of transfer fees being that high nowadays, yes, Michael Carrick is worth that much.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I assume you meant "is he worth that much?"

Short answer: yes

Long answer: In this day and age of inflated transfer fees for big-name players, courtesy of clubs like Real Madrid and Chelski totally overpaying and overvaluing players, everyone else's transfer fees get dictated by the market. £5.5 mil for Emile Heskey? £5 mil for an oft-injured Damien Duff? Come on. Just think: it was less than 20 years ago that the top transfer fee in Britain was £2.3 million (Gary Pallister to United).

In the context of transfer fees being that high nowadays, yes, Michael Carrick is worth that much.

thanx a lot for that massive answer !!!And i am glad;)
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    thanx a lot for that massive answer !!!And i am glad;)

I just read that You guys bought yourself a new striker. Congratulations.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    I just read that You guys bought yourself a new striker. Congratulations.

yes we did ...i don´t know him that well but i think it´s ok bec. we have to be realistic in our buys and if we get to the cl and have more money by than it´s ok but for now everthing is allright .
    and i am very behind them .it is a cool squad with lot of young players !!!
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    The problem from past seasons has not been a lack of a finisher. Rooney/Saha/Smith/Rossi/Solksjaer (and eventually Dong once he gets his work permit) will be fine. It's the service from the midfield. Think about United's midfield in the last 5 years:

1. Beckham leaves
    2. Keane gets older and plays a more defensive role and has injury problems
    3. Scholes has a loss of form and then goes down to injuries
    4. The Alan Smith experiment fails
    5. Solksjaer does a decent job filling in for Becks, but goes down to injury
    6. Ronaldo comes in and still has trouble being a decent crosser of the ball
    7. Giggs loses a step (natural for his age) and can't do it alone

United's goalscoring issues have not been the fault of the strikers. They're only going to be as good as the service they get.

And they still scored tied Chelsea for most goals scored last season, so I suggest you actually figure out stuff before posting rather than just slamming players.
    man u had arguably one of worlds greatest midfield quartets in keane,scholes,beckham,giggs. During this time they lacked a truly world class forward line, granted they had an exceptional season with yorke but had they had a van nistelrooy in those days they may have gone further than their one euro cup. Now they are a club which has been in steady decline since Jaap Stam was sold to milan(another bust-up), a monster of a centre-half who had a major part in their treble win.
    .........to say their forwards "will be fine" is somewhat cryptic, I agree fine to claim another carling cup but thats about all. Not a single prolific striker among them, sure rooney´ll grab the odd wonder goal but he isnt a poacher in the vein of van nistelrooy. Rossi is too lightweight at the moment for the premiership, smith has never been a top scorer and plays in a similar vein to rooney......and solsjaer has never even been a consistent starter throughout his career at united. Saha is the main hope but even he needs to break new ground to keep his team in stead.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    man u had arguably one of worlds greatest midfield quartets in keane,scholes,beckham,giggs. During this time they lacked a truly world class forward line, granted they had an exceptional season with yorke but had they had a van nistelrooy in those days they may have gone further than their one euro cup. Now they are a club which has been in steady decline since Jaap Stam was sold to milan(another bust-up), a monster of a centre-half who had a major part in their treble win.
    .........to say their forwards "will be fine" is somewhat cryptic, I agree fine to claim another carling cup but thats about all. Not a single prolific striker among them, sure rooney´ll grab the odd wonder goal but he isnt a poacher in the vein of van nistelrooy. Rossi is too lightweight at the moment for the premiership, smith has never been a top scorer and plays in a similar vein to rooney......and solsjaer has never even been a consistent starter throughout his career at united. Saha is the main hope but even he needs to break new ground to keep his team in stead.
    They have consistently been among the top 3 scorers when it came to team totals in the Premiership. It's not as if United is a team starving for finishers.

BTW, that decline you spoke of began as soon as the final whistle blew at the Nou Camp on May 26, 1999, to mark Peter Schmeichel's last game in United colors.

Yes, selling Stam hurt, but don't forget that the season we got rid of him was followed shortly thereafter by his failing a drugs test. I'll grant that defensive stability since the days of Irwin/Pallister/Bruce/Neville has been hard to come by, but that's football.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    They have consistently been among the top 3 scorers when it came to team totals in the Premiership. It's not as if United is a team starving for finishers.

BTW, that decline you spoke of began as soon as the final whistle blew at the Nou Camp on May 26, 1999, to mark Peter Schmeichel's last game in United colors.

Yes, selling Stam hurt, but don't forget that the season we got rid of him was followed shortly thereafter by his failing a drugs test. I'll grant that defensive stability since the days of Irwin/Pallister/Bruce/Neville has been hard to come by, but that's football.
    Im no man u fan or anything but I do concede that fergie has done well to keep und flowing as what is still a consistent force. Id will them to topple chelsea anytime. And yeah with schmeichel the decline did begin but not a drastic decline which in the hands of the average manager could have happened. Still think they are only perhaps 3world class players from a full-on eoro and prem challenge but the prob is who are they? and where would such money come from?
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    And yeah with schmeichel the decline did begin but not a drastic decline which in the hands of the average manager could have happened.
    Dude, we went from Schmeichel to freakin' Bosnich and Taibi--not drastic enough there? :p
    Still think they are only perhaps 3world class players from a full-on eoro and prem challenge but the prob is who are they?

Based on play in the WC and general reputation:
    Mascherano
    Klose/Torres
    Pirlo
    Ribery
    Tevez

Spurs beat us to Zokora.

On the cheap based on the WC:
    Jaziri
    Kawaguchi
    Lee Chun-Soo
    and where would such money come from?
    And therein lies the problem. Thank you, McManus and Magnier, you f***ing pair of sweaty bollocks.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Yes, selling Stam hurt, but don't forget that the season we got rid of him

Come on "got rid of him", a little more repect man. Stam is fucking great.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Dude, we went from Schmeichel to freakin' Bosnich and Taibi--not drastic enough there? :p

Based on play in the WC and general reputation:
    Mascherano
    Klose/Torres
    Pirlo
    Ribery
    Tevez

Spurs beat us to Zokora.

On the cheap based on the WC:
    Jaziri
    Kawaguchi
    Lee Chun-Soo

And therein lies the problem. Thank you, McManus and Magnier, you f***ing pair of sweaty bollocks.

I feel Carrick is a good buy. Although I don't see him filling Keane's shoes. If they could get Klose or Torres they will have certainly done well in replacing van Nisterlrooy. I can't help but wonder what the hell goes on in the head of that weirdass coach Manu has. The list of good player that he kicked out is growing rapidly. In terms of money, stability and identification figures in the squad, it would have been wise to keep van Nistelrooij and let Keane end his career at Manu. I can't help but think that it is about time Ferguson makes his exit.
  • Options
    Come on "got rid of him", a little more repect man. Stam is fucking great.
    How else would you characterize the circumstances surrounding his departure from Old Trafford?
  • Options
    I feel Carrick is a good buy. Although I don't see him filling Keane's shoes. If they could get Klose or Torres they will have certainly done well in replacing van Nisterlrooy. I can't help but wonder what the hell goes on in the head of that weirdass coach Manu has. The list of good player that he kicked out is growing rapidly. In terms of money, stability and identification figures in the squad, it would have been wise to keep van Nistelrooij and let Keane end his career at Manu. I can't help but think that it is about time Ferguson makes his exit.
    While I have questioned several of Sir Alex' decisions recently in terms of lineups and off-the-field stuff, the fact remains that it has been his team to run. His record speaks for itself--all that "weirdass coach" has done is the following:

* FA Premiership: 8-time winners
    * FA Cup: 5-time winner
    * League Cup: 2-time winner
    * Charity Shield: 5-time winner (6 if you count 1 shared)
    * Champions League: 1 time
    * European Cup Winners Cup: 1 time
    * Intercontinental Cup: 1 time
    * UEFA Supercup: 1 time
    * Premier League Manager Of The Year: 6-time winner

Not to mention ensuring that Manchester United remains as a contender every single time they step onto a pitch. When you consider how low United had sunk prior to his arrival (if you're old enough), the turnaround he has accomplished in such a short time is nothing short of remarkable.

And he's done it on HIS terms. The list of players who have run afoul of him is not only long, but full of Old Trafford superstars: Robson, McGrath, Ince, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Stam, Van Nistelrooy. No one player is bigger than any club, especially not Manchester United, and Sir Alex has always made that clear. And he had a good reason for how each of those players' situations panned out.
  • Options
    I read about klose and i think he ain´t for sell ....
    and i think Sir Alex knows what to do
    and he´s old assistent is now the english manager so what...

anyways hamburg maybe wants to buy now:
    Javier Saviola

i was like than we have 5 strikers
    so sell two than i think
    lauth
    and mucki
    but we will see
    bec. i don´t know if the other one is really a good buy...
  • Options
    Does anybody of you know

Anthony Vanden Borre...our scouts watched him...
    he´s 17 i think...from ajax but not so sure...
  • Options
    I read about klose and i think he ain´t for sell ....
    and i think Sir Alex knows what to do
    and he´s old assistent is now the english manager so what...

anyways hamburg maybe wants to buy now:
    Javier Saviola

i was like than we have 5 strikers
    so sell two than i think
    lauth
    and mucki
    but we will see
    bec. i don´t know if the other one is really a good buy...
    I really was kidding about Klose. He's happy at Werder.

Saviola's not a striker.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I really was kidding about Klose. He's happy at Werder.

Saviola's not a striker.

i know ;)
    really not ?ubs...but is he good anyways hamburg lost again vs bremen ...:(:(