Options

The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    so know hamburg is out in the ligapokal and bremen is in the final of that.HSV has a testmatch vs As Rom on the 5th ...
    well and you know who had a red card again ...de jong ....(no comment)
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    dkst0426 wrote:
    While I have questioned several of Sir Alex' decisions recently in terms of lineups and off-the-field stuff, the fact remains that it has been his team to run. His record speaks for itself--all that "weirdass coach" has done is the following:

* FA Premiership: 8-time winners
    * FA Cup: 5-time winner
    * League Cup: 2-time winner
    * Charity Shield: 5-time winner (6 if you count 1 shared)
    * Champions League: 1 time
    * European Cup Winners Cup: 1 time
    * Intercontinental Cup: 1 time
    * UEFA Supercup: 1 time
    * Premier League Manager Of The Year: 6-time winner

Not to mention ensuring that Manchester United remains as a contender every single time they step onto a pitch. When you consider how low United had sunk prior to his arrival (if you're old enough), the turnaround he has accomplished in such a short time is nothing short of remarkable.

Considering that you're a big Manchester United fan living in the states, let me ask you a question.... in recent years the Red Devils have played some friendly matches here in NY and they're always promoting their fan club here, honestly I'm not the biggest fan of them but one thing that interested me is that for fan club members they have this special trips to go see them play in England and other cool activities while over there. I looked on the website of the USA branch but they don't give you really that much information unless you're a registered member. I don't know if you know anything about this or maybe are a member, know somebody, etc... I would really appreciate any input you may have on this,.... going overseas into a soccer vacation has always been one of my dreams and this option so far is the one that has caught my attention the most. Specially considering that going through this with a private agency is mad expensive.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    Towerman wrote:
    Considering that you're a big Manchester United fan living in the states, let me ask you a question.... in recent years the Red Devils have played some friendly matches here in NY and they're always promoting their fan club here, honestly I'm not the biggest fan of them but one thing that interested me is that for fan club members they have this special trips to go see them play in England and other cool activities while over there. I looked on the website of the USA branch but they don't give you really that much information unless you're a registered member. I don't know if you know anything about this or maybe are a member, know somebody, etc... I would really appreciate any input you may have on this,.... going overseas into a soccer vacation has always been one of my dreams and this option so far is the one that has caught my attention the most. Specially considering that going through this with a private agency is mad expensive.

Never done it before personally, but I know of people who have, and if you're more than a casual fan with an amount of passion for the team and its history, go for it. Ask around (esp. at the Irish pubs around Manhattan), and I'm sure you'll be able to find out where the United fans gather for matches. That'd be a good way to get in touch with some people "in the know."
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Never done it before personally, but I know of people who have, and if you're more than a casual fan with an amount of passion for the team and its history, go for it. Ask around (esp. at the Irish pubs around Manhattan), and I'm sure you'll be able to find out where the United fans gather for matches. That'd be a good way to get in touch with some people "in the know."

thanks man.... cool, yeah I'll look around more and try to gather as much information as possible. This last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about this.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    dkst0426 wrote:
    How else would you characterize the circumstances surrounding his departure from Old Trafford?

Well it was the "we" part that had me thinking you agreed with it. Sure Ferguson kicked him out.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    While I have questioned several of Sir Alex' decisions recently in terms of lineups and off-the-field stuff, the fact remains that it has been his team to run. His record speaks for itself--all that "weirdass coach" has done is the following:

* FA Premiership: 8-time winners
    * FA Cup: 5-time winner
    * League Cup: 2-time winner
    * Charity Shield: 5-time winner (6 if you count 1 shared)
    * Champions League: 1 time
    * European Cup Winners Cup: 1 time
    * Intercontinental Cup: 1 time
    * UEFA Supercup: 1 time
    * Premier League Manager Of The Year: 6-time winner

Not to mention ensuring that Manchester United remains as a contender every single time they step onto a pitch. When you consider how low United had sunk prior to his arrival (if you're old enough), the turnaround he has accomplished in such a short time is nothing short of remarkable.

And he's done it on HIS terms. The list of players who have run afoul of him is not only long, but full of Old Trafford superstars: Robson, McGrath, Ince, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Stam, Van Nistelrooy. No one player is bigger than any club, especially not Manchester United, and Sir Alex has always made that clear. And he had a good reason for how each of those players' situations panned out.

Oh shit dude if I hear that argument one more time I'll get sick.:D

NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB.

I might say that the same can be said for the manager. Besides the list of prices you named is a bit stale. And the way they play hasn't quite been up to standaard.
    As for "Not to mention ensuring that Manchester United remains as a contender every single time they step onto a pitch." it would be an achievement if he didn't.

Sorry, but I really think he is over the top.
  • Options
    so know hamburg is out in the ligapokal and bremen is in the final of that.HSV has a testmatch vs As Rom on the 5th ...
    well and you know who had a red card again ...de jong ....(no comment)

How many is that? I think he needs to grow into playing in a tougher league. He didn't get that many cards over here. Or maybe his mission is to play on the edge.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    thomas gravesen and robinho have had a bust-up (punches thrown) training with madrid after a full on keano/souness-like challenge by the ex-evertonian, robinho left the pitch twirling his finger around the temple( loco! ), moments before gravesen had made an ugly challenge on beckham(apparently beckhams centre-parting sustained arrangmental damage)........appears manager aint too impressed and hell be on his way backto premiership soon as
  • Options
    Oh shit dude if I hear that argument one more time I'll get sick.:D

NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB.
    Piss off, then. I love how you always pick apart whatever I post.
    I might say that the same can be said for the manager.
    Yes, and if Sir Alex fails to muster up a strong challenger for the title and the downslide continues, then he should be shown the door sooner rather than later. You won't find me disagreeing with that. I just don't think it's the time, and I've probably been following football and Manchester United longer than most.
    Besides the list of prices you named is a bit stale. And the way they play hasn't quite been up to standaard.
    I assume you meant "prizes," as in trophies. Who the fuck cares if they're getting "stale"? The point is that they were all won under him in roughly the same period of time when collectively, O'Farrell, Docherty, Sexton, and Atkinson did fuck-all.
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    thanks man.... cool, yeah I'll look around more and try to gather as much information as possible. This last couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about this.
    I envy you. Hope it works out, and if it does, pull me a blade of grass or two from the OT pitch.
  • Options
    How many is that? I think he needs to grow into playing in a tougher league. He didn't get that many cards over here. Or maybe his mission is to play on the edge.

two yellow i think and he produce them very often ...but this time it seems the red card for de jong wasn´t a red one ...it was too harsh but hey the match is over...
    so the ligapokalfinal is bremen vs bayern münchen ...i think his time for acclimate
    himself here it´s over .He has to show his talent,skills everthing ....he has to be good more better than @ Ajax ...i think there was a reason why beiersdorfer took him here so now he has to make as fans happy etc. and the club ...otherwise it will be hard for him

i only pray that our captain vdv will be allright the whole season !!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    oh no on the new startin for the bundesliga is de jong 2 matches disabled that´s uncool for us:(:(
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Piss off, then. I love how you always pick apart whatever I post.

You typed it and I directed part of my response on that. I reacted on the rest as well so I don't just pick a part. Why can't I disagree with you. I agree with you a lot. It wouldn't be very interesting if I agree with everything you say now would it? However it is cool to be loved and told to piss off in the same sentence.:D I have a song by June of '44, it is called take it with a grain of salt. I would advice you to do that with what I say. I didn't mean to piss you off like that. It is just the way I talk, no harm intended.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Yes, and if Sir Alex fails to muster up a strong challenger for the title and the downslide continues, then he should be shown the door sooner rather than later. You won't find me disagreeing with that. I just don't think it's the time, and I've probably been following football and Manchester United longer than most.

I guess it depends on whether you still trust him or not. I don't you do. I feel he didn't do to well the last few seasons.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I assume you meant "prizes," as in trophies. Who the fuck cares if they're getting "stale"? The point is that they were all won under him in roughly the same period of time when collectively, O'Farrell, Docherty, Sexton, and Atkinson did fuck-all.

I meant the prizes yes. I don't know who cares if their getting stale. Sure under his lead Manu has had quite a few prizes and they were exciting to watch for a few years. However I believe the point is that it was a long time ago since he done so. The past doesn't count, at least not in that way. I would like to see Manu play better football than they did the last saesons. Just in the interest of football not because I am a fan or anything, it is just that they used to have great matches and that has been lost in their game.
  • Options
    two yellow i think and he produce them very often ...but this time it seems the red card for de jong wasn´t a red one ...it was too harsh but hey the match is over...
    so the ligapokalfinal is bremen vs bayern münchen ...i think his time for acclimate
    himself here it´s over .He has to show his talent,skills everthing ....he has to be good more better than @ Ajax ...i think there was a reason why beiersdorfer took him here so now he has to make as fans happy etc. and the club ...otherwise it will be hard for him

i only pray that our captain vdv will be allright the whole season !!!!

Sure he has the skills to do well, but I believe he has a different role at HSV. He is more of a centre middfielder right? He didn't play that too often at Ajax. I hope for you he starts doing well, but I really think he went too soon. van der Vaart might be youg as well, but he is more experienced than de Jong is.
  • Options
    I just read that Arsenal is serious about selling Cole. apparently Chelsea needs to pay 45 million and Real Madrid needs only to come up with half.

Since Roberto Carlos said he wanted to say I wonder how that will work out.
  • Options
    under his lead Manu has had quite a few prizes and they were exciting to watch for a few years. However I believe the point is that it was a long time ago since he done so. The past doesn't count, at least not in that way.
    In 4 years, they've done a domestic Treble. That's more than 90% of the rest of the clubs in the Premiership.
    I would like to see Manu play better football than they did the last saesons. Just in the interest of football not because I am a fan or anything, it is just that they used to have great matches and that has been lost in their game.
    Well, what's United to do when certain competitors start throwing money around like it's free paper and overpaying for superstars and buying mercenaries to win Premierships? No point getting into a price war with other teams. Football success goes in cycles. Right now, it's not quite United's cycle. Big deal. In some way, I'm thankful that it's been a bit barren for United, because a lot of the fair-weather gloryhunting fans have left the United bandwagon and jumped on the Chel-ski bandwagon. Good riddance to those "fans," I say.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    In 4 years, they've done a domestic Treble. That's more than 90% of the rest of the clubs in the Premiership.

I don't really know how many prizes they won in the last few saesons I do know that it is less than what they were used to. But like you said clubs often have cycles. Still I think he has done his trick with success and now it is time to go. Some fresh blood would be good.
    However I get the feeling you see nothing wrong with the way they play and the manner in which Ferguson treats his players? Or are you just playing devil's advocate?
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Well, what's United to do when certain competitors start throwing money around like it's free paper
    :D
    dkst0426 wrote:
    In some way, I'm thankful that it's been a bit barren for United, because a lot of the fair-weather gloryhunting fans have left the United bandwagon and jumped on the Chel-ski bandwagon. Good riddance to those "fans," I say.

Yes you always have those people amongst the crowd.
  • Options
    I don't really know how many prizes they won in the last few saesons I do know that it is less than what they were used to. But like you said clubs often have cycles. Still I think he has done his trick with success and now it is time to go. Some fresh blood would be good.
    However I get the feeling you see nothing wrong with the way they play and the manner in which Ferguson treats his players? Or are you just playing devil's advocate?
    I can say whatever I want about the way he lets United play or the way he treats players, but ultimately, it's his ship to run, and he has done one hell of a job in the time he's been there. If he really was such a tyrant, then why haven't more players upped and left?

McGrath, Whiteside, and Robson left because Sir Alex took action against the partygoing and drinking subculture that had built up in that squad.
    Paul Ince left because he was unhappy with Sir Alex turning him into more of a defensive midfielder rather than giving him license to roam upfield, which is fine, because his departure paved the way for a certain Irishman to come to Old Trafford.
    Beckham left because Sir Alex felt that his media image was beginning to distract from his performance on the field. Now, you know I'm a Beckham defender, but Sir Alex was right on there. His play had begun to drop at United, even with Van Nistelrooy there to finish off whatever he was able to supply, and bottom line, he wasn't supplying as much after Cole and Yorke left. He's done well at Madrid, for which I am happy for him.
    Stam left because of some of the shit he aired in his book. You don't pull off that kind of crap while you're still at a club. That was unprofessional, and you and I know it. Got a problem with the manager? Take it up with him, or leave.
    Van Nistelrooy left because he couldn't get over the fact that Louis Saha did in fact deserve a spot in the Carling Cup final. It was ONE game in a tournament that is nowhere near as prestigious as it used to be, and there was still a league run-in to worry about and he was still coming off a long-term injury. Why in the hell did he get so sulky about it?

There were justifiable reasons for Sir Alex to get tired of certain players. There were also justifiable reasons for those players to feel like they were wronged. Bottom line: he's in charge.

Let me ask you this: you follow the game closely enough. You know what kind of demands the position carries. If it is in fact time for fresh blood, who would be the person to take up the job? Got a shortlist?
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I can say whatever I want about the way he lets United play or the way he treats players, but ultimately, it's his ship to run, and he has done one hell of a job in the time he's been there. If he really was such a tyrant, then why haven't more players upped and left?

Well I can think of a few reasons, but it wouldn't matter. I don't agree with the above, and it isn't that important. We have different opinions. I think the players are more important than the coach, you see it differently. No sweat.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    McGrath, Whiteside, and Robson left because Sir Alex took action against the partygoing and drinking subculture that had built up in that squad.
    Paul Ince left because he was unhappy with Sir Alex turning him into more of a defensive midfielder rather than giving him license to roam upfield, which is fine, because his departure paved the way for a certain Irishman to come to Old Trafford.

Really Robson was a drinking brother? I always thought he was kind of like Shearer, a family man with nothing to report. I always liked Ince, he had a great urgency about him.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Beckham left because Sir Alex felt that his media image was beginning to distract from his performance on the field. Now, you know I'm a Beckham defender, but Sir Alex was right on there. His play had begun to drop at United, even with Van Nistelrooy there to finish off whatever he was able to supply, and bottom line, he wasn't supplying as much after Cole and Yorke left. He's done well at Madrid, for which I am happy for him.

I can imagine his media live can be annoying. And there was certainly put enough effort in setting him straight. Maybe he just really needed to leave as a kid needs to move out of his parents house.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Stam left because of some of the shit he aired in his book. You don't pull off that kind of crap while you're still at a club. That was unprofessional, and you and I know it. Got a problem with the manager? Take it up with him, or leave.

I've heard that it was nothing much. certainly not something to lose one of the best defenders over.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Van Nistelrooy left because he couldn't get over the fact that Louis Saha did in fact deserve a spot in the Carling Cup final. It was ONE game in a tournament that is nowhere near as prestigious as it used to be, and there was still a league run-in to worry about and he was still coming off a long-term injury. Why in the hell did he get so sulky about it?

Exactly. It makes one think there may well be more to it than just a game on the bench. Might well be that Ruud was the one guy to stick up for Keane openly and place question makes about his departure.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    There were justifiable reasons for Sir Alex to get tired of certain players. There were also justifiable reasons for those players to feel like they were wronged. Bottom line: he's in charge.?

Yes he is in charge. He and his ego. Losing Keane, Stam, van Nistelrooij was just plain silly and bad management.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Let me ask you this: you follow the game closely enough. You know what kind of demands the position carries. If it is in fact time for fresh blood, who would be the person to take up the job? Got a shortlist?

Hahahaha, no not really. Like I said I am not a fan. I like Manu but as far as my thinking about shortlists go I keep that for clubs like PSV, Barca and other Dutch clubs.

However you make it sound as if there aren't any other managers that could do the job and that Manu is somewhat depended on him. Still after he leaves there will be a new man to do the job. Manu has the cash and the reputation so good players will come and they will remain a serious contender for the league title.
    I think a club like Manu is so big that they'll be successful with any number of coaches. I think it would be best to have a real clubman, but even that isn't necessary. I think Capello would do good anywhere he goes. Not that he would be on my shortlist since he just signed at Madrid. It might well be that they appoint a man with the skill but not the name. I would not brake my head thinking about it, there are a lot of coaches out there.
    If it were up to me I wouldn't give a new head coach as much power as they have given Ferguson.

My criteria would be;

A clubman
    Strategically strong
    A forward strategy
    Able to sell the club well
    Good people skills
    A scouting network
    Being able to fit in youth
    Able to work in a team
  • Options
    However you make it sound as if there aren't any other managers that could do the job and that Manu is somewhat depended on him.
    Wrong. You are reading way too much into what I've been saying. Never once did I say "nobody else can do the job and United is dependent on him for success."

Just to prove you wrong, I'll share with you the 3 managers whom I would love to see succeed Sir Alex. The list used to include Martin O'neill, but since he's at Villa for the forseeable future, I'm scratching him. Same for Fabio Capello. So here goes:

1. Marcello Lippi. His record at Juve and Italy speaks for itself. Proven winner.
    2. Bryan Robson. Not just because he's my all-time favorite player, but he had some success at Middlesborough, and I honestly feel that if he had a squad as strong as United's, and not mid-to-lower tier clubs like Boro and Bradford and West Brom, as he's had, he would do great as a manager. He did learn from Terry Venables, after all.
    3. Mark Hughes. Did great with Wales, could have done better with Blackburn, but again--another example of a former player turned coach who had a weak squad. At least he's shown that he can do the job well with a national team.
    If it were up to me I wouldn't give a new head coach as much power as they have given Ferguson.
    And give power to the chairman or owner? No thanks. Executives should stick to the boardroom and let coaches do the coaching.

And in other news.............Corinthians have "invited" United to make a bid for Carlitos. £15M is the reported amount they're asking for. What a total steal that would be.

Oh, and by the way, karma, thanks a lot to your Ajax captain. I mean, seriously..........it's a preseason game, and going in that high on the ankle? :mad:
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Wrong. You are reading way too much into what I've been saying. Never once did I say "nobody else can do the job and United is dependent on him for success."

I never said that you did. I said that you make it seem like it.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Just to prove you wrong,
    Why would that prove me wrong. I didn’t say it was true. I merely pointed out that it was the picture that was coming through in your words.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I'll share with you the 3 managers whom I would love to see succeed Sir Alex. The list used to include Martin O'neill, but since he's at Villa for the forseeable future, I'm scratching him. Same for Fabio Capello. So here goes:

1. Marcello Lippi. His record at Juve and Italy speaks for itself. Proven winner.
    2. Bryan Robson. Not just because he's my all-time favorite player, but he had some success at Middlesborough, and I honestly feel that if he had a squad as strong as United's, and not mid-to-lower tier clubs like Boro and Bradford and West Brom, as he's had, he would do great as a manager. He did learn from Terry Venables, after all.
    3. Mark Hughes. Did great with Wales, could have done better with Blackburn, but again--another example of a former player turned coach who had a weak squad. At least he's shown that he can do the job well with a national team.:

They are all good choices. Personally I like Robson best. His name keeps popping up most not that it is a guarantee of any sort, but still I can see him do it.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    And give power to the chairman or owner? No thanks. Executives should stick to the boardroom and let coaches do the coaching.

Hahahaha, no of course not, don't give it to the suits. I guess it is just my Dutch roots coming out here. The last few seasons we had the English model at PSV. Since Hiddink was the man in charge it wasn't a real problem, but now Koeman has the job I am glad that everything is back as it should be. A football director (a club man, ex international, who is head of scouting, signs the contracts, leads the people from the youth team's and watch the long term interest of the club) the chairman who is head of finances and the head coach. A coach is in most cases just a passing face so it makes no sense to give him full power and then give it to the next guy and the one after that. At least that is how most Dutch teams figure it. Tottenham work with that model now.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    And in other news.............Corinthians have "invited" United to make a bid for Carlitos. £15M is the reported amount they're asking for. What a total steal that would be.

I don't know. I don't think I ever saw him play. what kind of play is it?
    I have also heard that Manchester made a bid on Kuijt. I don't know if it is true, but if so it would seem like trading down going from van Nistelrooij to Kuijt. I think Feyenoord is asking way to much looking from the other clubs perspective. I can understand it from theirs, Kuijt is very important.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Oh, and by the way, karma, thanks a lot to your Ajax captain. I mean, seriously..........it's a preseason game, and going in that high on the ankle? :mad:

I don't have an Ajax captain. :D PSV remember
    High on the ankle? I don't really know what you mean. I presume you mean the foul on Carrick. If so then yeah that was a bad foul, but I am not responsible for that nor is Ajax my club so I don't really know what to do with this remark. All I know is that they were playing to weak against Inter and the coach wanted more aggression. I guess Perez took that the wrong way. Ajax took the game more serious than just a pre season friendly. They play a qualification match for the Champions league this Wednesday so they wanted to do well. It was a dangerous foul, but these things happen in matches and it wasn't that bad. I am sorry to see him get injured like that. It was a dumb tackle anyway he couldn't get the ball like that.

I do hope they sign some new players because they won’t make it like this. The starting eleven is alright, but a few injuries like they have now and it means trouble. Defensively they looked alright, but going forward was a real problem without Scholes and Rooney. Add to that Saha, Giggs and diving C.R. and it still seems a bit slim. Maybe that is because I am not that big on C. Ronaldo and Saha isn't quite up to the standard of a Manu striker. And for years now I have been thinking a creative midfielder would do them good. Too bad Veron didn't work out. Maybe Carrick can help Scholes direct the game.
  • Options
    I don't know. I don't think I ever saw him play. what kind of play is it?
    I have also heard that Manchester made a bid on Kuijt. I don't know if it is true, but if so it would seem like trading down going from van Nistelrooij to Kuijt. I think Feyenoord is asking way to much looking from the other clubs perspective. I can understand it from theirs, Kuijt is very important.
    Carlitos = Carlos Tevez. Surely you know him, or at least of him? Yeah, I've seen the rumors about Kuijt/Kuyt (what is the correct spelling for that anyway?) and Torres. Personally, if we get Tevez, then we don't need any more front line help.
    I do hope they sign some new players because they won’t make it like this. The starting eleven is alright, but a few injuries like they have now and it means trouble. Defensively they looked alright, but going forward was a real problem without Scholes and Rooney. Add to that Saha, Giggs and diving C.R. and it still seems a bit slim. Maybe that is because I am not that big on C. Ronaldo and Saha isn't quite up to the standard of a Manu striker. And for years now I have been thinking a creative midfielder would do them good. Too bad Veron didn't work out. Maybe Carrick can help Scholes direct the game.
    A lot of people say that about Saha, but the truth of the matter is that everytime he has had a chance at extended first team action, he has played well and puts the ball in the net. The problem is that he seems to have a problem staying injury-free.

Carrick was signed with that "creative midfielder" role in mind. I really hope Scholes' loss of form after his 30th birthday was just an effect of his eye problem, and he'll come back better. I really had never seen anyone's form drop as poorly as his after turning 30 as his did last year before they diagnosed the eye problem.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Carlitos = Carlos Tevez. Surely you know him, or at least of him? Yeah, I've seen the rumors about Kuijt/Kuyt (what is the correct spelling for that anyway?) and Torres. Personally, if we get Tevez, then we don't need any more front line help.

Oh yeah I know Tevez. I don't know if 16 million pounds is anything close to 16 million Euro's, but if it is I think it is a justifiable asking price. I take it it is somewhere round the 20 million Euro’s or is it way more than that?
    dkst0426 wrote:
    A lot of people say that about Saha, but the truth of the matter is that everytime he has had a chance at extended first team action, he has played well and puts the ball in the net. The problem is that he seems to have a problem staying injury-free..

Maybe, but I see him more as a player for a two striker attacking line. Now he has to do it on his own in the centre. He has his qualities, but I do think he is top notch.
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Carrick was signed with that "creative midfielder" role in mind. I really hope Scholes' loss of form after his 30th birthday was just an effect of his eye problem, and he'll come back better. I really had never seen anyone's form drop as poorly as his after turning 30 as his did last year before they diagnosed the eye problem.

I hope so he was very good for a few seasons.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    The Argentine Apertura Tournament has officially started. WOO-HOO! :D

Coming up at 3pm Eastern Time:
    Boca Juniors VS. Banfield

oh yeah :cool:
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    The Argentine Apertura Tournament has officially started. WOO-HOO! :D

Coming up at 3pm Eastern Time:
    Boca Juniors VS. Banfield

oh yeah :cool:

Never even heard of it. Sorry.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Never even heard of it. Sorry.

of what? lol....
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Maybe, but I see him more as a player for a two striker attacking line. Now he has to do it on his own in the centre.
    Where do you see any indication that United is going to a 4-5-1?
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Where do you see any indication that United is going to a 4-5-1?

That wasn't the system I meant. I imagined the system they have played last year and the year before. 4-3-3 puts him on his alone in the centre.
    Sure Rooney comes to the centre from the left, but they haven't played a two strikers system for quite some time now. It was something that Ruud was hoping for because he feels more comfortable in a 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    of what? lol....

The Argentine Apertura Tournament. What is it, a pre season tournament?