Options

The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Liverpool pair Steven Gerrard and Jose Reina have both been handed awards by Barclays, with the Reds skipper being named Player of the Month for April and the Spanish shot stopper claiming the Golden Gloves award.

pretty pleased with Reina's first season..20 clean sheets in 38 games..thats impressive though he has had alot of help from the defenders.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Liverpool pair Steven Gerrard and Jose Reina have both been handed awards by Barclays, with the Reds skipper being named Player of the Month for April and the Spanish shot stopper claiming the Golden Gloves award.

pretty pleased with Reina's first season..20 clean sheets in 38 games..thats impressive though he has had alot of help from the defenders.

Reyna has shown his class this seaon, sadly for him Casillas is the undisputed #1 in Spain for the WC, but one thing was never clear to me... why did Liverpool got Reyna in the first place?, I mean you only buy a goalkeeper when you NEED him like Manchester with Van Der Saar but I think that Liverpool had that position well cover with Dudek...
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    Reyna has shown his class this seaon, sadly for him Casillas is the undisputed #1 in Spain for the WC, but one thing was never clear to me... why did Liverpool got Reyna in the first place?, I mean you only buy a goalkeeper when you NEED him like Manchester with Van Der Saar but I think that Liverpool had that position well cover with Dudek...
    not only with Dudek..they have Kirkland and Carson as well! thats 4 very good goalkeepers.
    Kirkland will be leaving though.
    i guess Rafa just wanted the right guy and well doesnt hurt to have quality on the bench either.

btw..Sevilla have just scored..Boro have been poor so far..
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Middlesbrough will not make it. 3-0 down

That Rochembach guy should have been a mailman.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Boro just fell apart..lol..
    1 down...1 more to go with the Spain vs England thing.
    hope its 2-0 for Spain :)

YNWA
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Well, Boateng can forget his WC. He was very poor today.
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    Wonder how different the game would've turned out if that early free kick for Boro had gone in, or even Hasselbaink's.

Props to Sevilla. They absolutely murdered Boro today and made them look like the mid-table team they are.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Wonder how different the game would've turned out if that early free kick for Boro had gone in, or even Hasselbaink's.

Props to Sevilla. They absolutely murdered Boro today and made them look like the mid-table team they are.

It was kinda painful to watch though.
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, Dudek may have been between the sticks last May, but in many, MANY ways, he is still a haphazard goalie, and not one I'd tend to trust too much.

Did you know "Jerzy Dudek" is Polish for "David James" and is a variation of the Italian phrase "Massimo Taibi"?
  • Options
    It was kinda painful to watch though.
    If you're talking about living in the US and having to put up with the Fox Soccer Channel commentary, you're right. I would almost rather have listened to crying babies all game long. If I hear "JFH" one more bloody time, I'm going to scream.

The scoreline was only a bit deceptive. If I'd watched most of the game without the goals, I'd have guessed a 3-0 scoreline. Boro just had very little thrust in their attack, save for a couple of isolated moments. No sustained pressure whatsoever.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Oh, and by the way, Dudek may have been between the sticks last May, but in many, MANY ways, he is still a haphazard goalie, and not one I'd tend to trust too much.

Did you know "Jerzy Dudek" is Polish for "David James" and is a variation of the Italian phrase "Massimo Taibi"?

I think it has something to do with the club though or perhaps the league. At Feyenoord he was really, really good, hence Liverpool buying him
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    If you're talking about living in the US and having to put up with the Fox Soccer Channel commentary, you're right. I would almost rather have listened to crying babies all game long. If I hear "JFH" one more bloody time, I'm going to scream.

The scoreline was only a bit deceptive. If I'd watched most of the game without the goals, I'd have guessed a 3-0 scoreline. Boro just had very little thrust in their attack, save for a couple of isolated moments. No sustained pressure whatsoever.

Yes, and if you don't put away the few chances you do get, then you are fucked.

I'll make sure not to watch Fox then. hahahaha
  • Options
    I think it has something to do with the club though or perhaps the league. At Feyenoord he was really, really good, hence Liverpool buying him
    The level of forward play he faced in the Eredivisie is a bit different from what he faced in the Premiership, I would say.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    The level of forward play he faced in the Eredivisie is a bit different from what he faced in the Premiership, I would say.

No that is very unfair. The Dutch competition is very attacking minded. Plus we have strikes that later will go on ahead. Besides he played champions league as well. Do you really think Liverpool would buy a bad goalie for that amount of money?
    The Dutch league isn't that bad.
  • Options
    No that is very unfair. The Dutch competition is very attacking minded. Plus we have strikes that later will go on ahead. Besides he played champions league as well. Do you really think Liverpool would buy a bad goalie for that amount of money?
    The Dutch league isn't that bad.
    If the Dutch league is that good, then why can they not hang on to their best players? The caliber of defensive play in the Premiership is higher than in most leagues (except for Serie A), so if a forward makes it big in the Premiership, you know they're the real deal. Eredivisie defensive play is not as strong, and I think you would even be willing to concede that, and that's why just because a player is a prolific striker in Holland, he may not be a guaranteed success elsewhere.

Recent cases in point:
    Mateja Kezman - flop in England.
    Henrik Larsson - great success in a two-team league, inconsistent in La Liga.
    Arjen Robben - jury's still out, major temperament issues in England.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy - success, but star rapidly fading due to health issues, and unable to create chances for himself after departure of Beckham and Giggs and loss of Scholes' form.
    Van Persie - too early to tell. Can he succeed without Thierry Henry if he leaves?

Yes, there are the success stories like the Bergkamps and the Gullits and the Van Bastens and the Davids, but those are special talents. Uniquely gifted.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    If the Dutch league is that good, then why can they not hang on to their best players? The caliber of defensive play in the Premiership is higher than in most leagues (except for Serie A), so if a forward makes it big in the Premiership, you know they're the real deal. Eredivisie defensive play is not as strong, and I think you would even be willing to concede that, and that's why just because a player is a prolific striker in Holland, he may not be a guaranteed success elsewhere.

Recent cases in point:
    Mateja Kezman - flop in England.
    Henrik Larsson - great success in a two-team league, inconsistent in La Liga.
    Arjen Robben - jury's still out, major temperament issues in England.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy - success, but star rapidly fading due to health issues, and unable to create chances for himself after departure of Beckham and Giggs and loss of Scholes' form.
    Van Persie - too early to tell. Can he succeed without Thierry Henry if he leaves?

Yes, there are the success stories like the Bergkamps and the Gullits and the Van Bastens and the Davids, but those are special talents. Uniquely gifted.

It isn't about comparing the two leagues. If you say the only league that counts is the primeur league than you are sadly mistaken my friend. There is more than a bit of arrogance in what you just posted. I didn't say The Dutch league was the best or even as good as the top leagues. I didn't feel the need to say it wasn't it is obvious.
    Do you really have to ask why we can't hold our best player's? That is very obvious as well.
    Really there is no need to talk down to the Dutch league. There are only three or four that are way better, the rest is equal or less.
  • Options
    If you say the only league that counts is the primeur league than you are sadly mistaken my friend
    Uhh, at which point did I say that? I just used the Premiership as a reference because this all started with a discussion about Jerzy Dudek, who has played in both the Premiership and the Eredivisie.

While I may tilt towards favoring the Premiership if asked what I think the best league is, I've been following the game long enough to know that in Europe, the Primera, Bundesliga, Serie A, and Premiership are the elite ones, with no real way to determine which one is better.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Uhh, at which point did I say that? I just used the Premiership as a reference because this all started with a discussion about Jerzy Dudek, who has played in both the Premiership and the Eredivisie.

While I may tilt towards favoring the Premiership if asked what I think the best league is, I've been following the game long enough to know that in Europe, the Primera, Bundesliga, Serie A, and Premiership are the elite ones, with no real way to determine which one is better.

I think the France competition is better then the German Bundesliga. I also think that the Dutch top-4 will play in every competition in the top-8.

The rest of our competition isn't that good. Only Heerenveen, Utrecht and Groningen are the real sub-top teams.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:

Yeah sure react on one sentences that isn't even the essence of my post. I could have said the top leagues, but that wouldn't have really mattered. Besides I said " if ", right?
    I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. I love the fact that an American dude like yourself loves the game as much as you appear to do however, there is the following I want to get of my chest.

What remains though is that you really talked down to a league that is respected as a supplier for the top leagues.( The Dutch league )

The Portuguese, the Dutch, the French, the Turkish and the Greek league are very respectable leagues. Who have their value and hold very big clubs.
    For as long as I can remember (which is at least twenty years) we were in or around the number 6 position on the UEFA club table and this compared to the FIFA Countries table that really means something.
    I feel you need to say that you were wrong to post with the attitude you did. There was no respect in your tone.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    I think the France competition is better then the German Bundesliga. I also think that the Dutch top-4 will play in every competition in the top-8.

The rest of our competition isn't that good. Only Heerenveen, Utrecht and Groningen are the real sub-top teams.

That is the problem, however that is the same for all the leagues around us accept the French league.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    If the Dutch league is that good, then why can they not hang on to their best players?

Money rules the world, my friend.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Money rules the world, my friend.

Money rules the world.
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Money rules the world.

It might be wrong, but reading this post gave me the idea that you have used some while writing. Hahahaha

I couldn't make haed nor tail out of it.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    i am very sad how boro lost i heard that today morning oh my goodness
    and when barca win the Cl the spanish clubs are over all ....:(:(
  • Options
    and another bad news vdv won´t play for Hamburg in the exit clash for the cl vs bremen :(:(:(
    but i hope Hamburg gonna win this...;)
  • Options
    and another bad news vdv won´t play for Hamburg in the exit clash for the cl vs bremen :(:(:(
    but i hope Hamburg gonna win this...;)

Good luck, I hope vdv is ready for the WC.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Good luck, I hope vdv is ready for the WC.

thank you !!!both my favorit clubs will be fighting for place 2 ;) ...i hope so too bec. he will be not in a good mood and that´s not good ....expecially for his wife than;) wow there baby will be so cute;)
  • Options
    thank you !!!both my favorit clubs will be fighting for place 2 ;) ...i hope so too bec. he will be not in a good mood and that´s not good ....expecially for his wife than;) wow there baby will be so cute;)

I hope the baby will be there before the WC...because than vdv can play with his thoughts on the pitch.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    I hope the baby will be there before the WC...because than vdv can play with his thoughts on the pitch.

We will see first we should wish them all the best;)
  • Options
    Friendly of today.

Holland - Holland -23 (0:0)