Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    I'm from Cleveland, not a Yankee hater, the new stadium looks awsome. I get the feeling it kind of leaves the average fan out with the prices they must be charging for tickets. I have a question. Can the Indians play all their home games there? that would be sweet. :D
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    uh ... what the hell is worng with Wang?

holy crap! Slow pitch softball pitchers have better ERAs.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Well this game sucks! Was looking forward to watching this one in crystal clear HD today, but all I've seen is balls going over Gardner's and Swisher's heads. This is like a video game! Does Swisher get on the mound again today?

On a more positive note the stadium looks awesome. Can't get over how much it looks like the old one.
    Brian
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited April 2009
    what the wang?
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    14 in the 2nd.

Damn!
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    joined a softball league with my buddies, it starts tuesday night. we wont score 14 runs in a game all season. one friggin inning. seems like the balls fly out of the new place....some days it helps you, some games it hurts you
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    mca47 wrote:
    14 in the 2nd.

Damn!
    Wow, hahahah. Just wow. :lol:

I sympathize a little though. They did that to us back in 2001 I think. We were up like 15-0 in the first half of the game, and we just phoned in the 2nd half assuming we had secured a victory....nope. The Tribe came back and won the game like 16-15. :shock:
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,120
    aNiMaL wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    14 in the 2nd.

Damn!
    Wow, hahahah. Just wow. :lol:

I sympathize a little though. They did that to us back in 2001 I think. We were up like 15-0 in the first half of the game, and we just phoned in the 2nd half assuming we had secured a victory....nope. The Tribe came back and won the game like 16-15. :shock:

I remember that, it was the first Sunday night game in August 2001. The Indians won it 15-14 and also beat the Yankees 22-0 in 2004.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    wow, that sucked, for a first game at the New Stadium. or for any game. Every ball was hit very hard, off Wandg and everyone else. I thought maybe Wang was tipping his pitches, it looked like Indian hitters knew what was coming. But then they hit everyone else hard too. I hope Claggett enjoyed his major league career. If anyone ever wondered where the term "cup of coffee" meant in baseball terms, see Claggett. And don't stop swing the ax just yet: enough with Edwar Ramirez. The guy just can't be depended upon. Here's my plan to fix the team:

Cut Claggett & Edwar. Call up Humberto Sanchez, melancon, or another kid who may be more ready. Just not another Giese, Tomko type retread. and Aceves, who can be a long man

Enough with Cody ransom. If you're gonna hit .100 with a ton of K's, you BETTER be a gold glove rat 3rd. ransom probably leads the league in errors to go with his .100 average

When ARod comes back, DH him the entire year, so as not to run therisk of re-injury. Trade for either Hank Blalock or Garrett Atkins, who should both be available since they are expensive, and have been pushed out of their positions. Blalock may come cheaper, because of the injury history.

Don't worry about matsui being pushed out of DH. he looks done. If he has anything left, then it's a deeper bench

Send Wang to AAA. I think he'll have to okay it because he's a veteran, but he needs to be fixed, and they can't continue to have 8 inning days out of the bullpen. Give Hughes a few starts to show that 2008 was an aberration for him.
  • Options
    It's still early,
    Too bad you can't buy any more players like C.C. now.
    Trust me the guy WILL be there.

ex C.C. fan in Cleveland
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    wow, that sucked, for a first game at the New Stadium. or for any game. Every ball was hit very hard, off Wandg and everyone else. I thought maybe Wang was tipping his pitches, it looked like Indian hitters knew what was coming. But then they hit everyone else hard too. I hope Claggett enjoyed his major league career. If anyone ever wondered where the term "cup of coffee" meant in baseball terms, see Claggett. And don't stop swing the ax just yet: enough with Edwar Ramirez. The guy just can't be depended upon. Here's my plan to fix the team:

Cut Claggett & Edwar. Call up Humberto Sanchez, melancon, or another kid who may be more ready. Just not another Giese, Tomko type retread. and Aceves, who can be a long man

Enough with Cody ransom. If you're gonna hit .100 with a ton of K's, you BETTER be a gold glove rat 3rd. ransom probably leads the league in errors to go with his .100 average

When ARod comes back, DH him the entire year, so as not to run therisk of re-injury. Trade for either Hank Blalock or Garrett Atkins, who should both be available since they are expensive, and have been pushed out of their positions. Blalock may come cheaper, because of the injury history.

Don't worry about matsui being pushed out of DH. he looks done. If he has anything left, then it's a deeper bench

Send Wang to AAA. I think he'll have to okay it because he's a veteran, but he needs to be fixed, and they can't continue to have 8 inning days out of the bullpen. Give Hughes a few starts to show that 2008 was an aberration for him.

Makes you wonder why the Yankees never gave him a long term contract. And always went to arbitration instead. You would think winning 19 games two years in a row would help.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    i cant wait till the sox make it there! :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    igotid88 wrote:

I wonder if CC and AJ have any regrets now...
    Could be very tough on pitchers.
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

I wonder if CC and AJ have any regrets now...
    Could be very tough on pitchers.

all they have to do is check their account balances ........... read: no regrets

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474

I was there as well :evil: ........I went to the 1st Cubs exhibition game a few weeks back when Wang looked like crap...at least we won that one.In the 1st, he struck out the 1st bater and got through that...then Teixeira got that 2 run pop up homer :lol: It was a loooooong day. A good brawl happened just above me in 400's section...chicks fightin each other and dudes fallin down the stairs :lol: It was a beautiful day and I got to take a few people who have never been there, and they loved the place. We will see how balls jump outta this place when the weather gets warmer....I think AJ and CC will be alright as well as Joba and Pettite.I hope so.

At least we won today
  • Options
    They can't send Wang to Class AAA. A player has to have options and at least five years of service and Wang has neither since his major league debut was April 2005 and this would be his fifth year of service time.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Yankees suck...
  • Options
    With their payroll they should go 162-0. But they wont see the playoffs!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474

why dont ya tell us how u really feel.If I recall correctly, after you dudes won ur ws in '05,like the very next day in Chi Town people were talkin about when Cubs spring training starts :lol: And no u cant have Swisher back
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

imagine a team going 162-0? that'd be some impressive feat.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    The way the media etc. are going, you'd think they had not actually checked the standings. Yanks are over .500 and in 2nd place in the division ahead of both T-Bay and Boston. The only real concern amongst the pitching right now I think is Wang. I didn't see his first two games, but on Saturday he had no command of his pitches. He was getting the ball up and that is disaster for a sinker baller like him who is a below average strikeout guy.
    Brian
  • Options
    CROJAM95 wrote:

why dont ya tell us how u really feel.If I recall correctly, after you dudes won ur ws in '05,like the very next day in Chi Town people were talkin about when Cubs spring training starts :lol: And no u cant have Swisher back

I dont want him back actually. No disrespect towards Swish but he will end the 09' season no better than .275% 18 HRs and 80 RBI... He is great for the clubhouse however and I will miss that. Maybe his leadership will help you guys in the WildCard hunt...
  • Options
    They can't send Wang to Class AAA. A player has to have options and at least five years of service and Wang has neither since his major league debut was April 2005 and this would be his fifth year of service time.

I was assuming he would agree to it. He can't really argue with them given his 34.00 ERA. And they all say he needs to pitch his way out of it, but they can't keep giving up games, and using the bullpen for 8 innings when he pitches.
  • Options

I was assuming he would agree to it. He can't really argue with them given his 34.00 ERA. And they all say he needs to pitch his way out of it, but they can't keep giving up games, and using the bullpen for 8 innings when he pitches.

They're skipping him this weekend in Boston, which was expected. While his turn is technically being skipped, there would be a possibility he goes next week in Detroit, but we'll know more later today if that's the case.

As for the minors, it's also a waiver issue, despite his ghastly numbers from the first three games, some team probably would claim him based on past performance and the low cost of doing so, which also puts the Yankees further in a bind. The probable best outcome is to come up with some sort of injury and let him do some extended spring training, simulated games for a few weeks and see if that helps improve matters.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

They're skipping him this weekend in Boston, which was expected. While his turn is technically being skipped, there would be a possibility he goes next week in Detroit, but we'll know more later today if that's the case.

As for the minors, it's also a waiver issue, despite his ghastly numbers from the first three games, some team probably would claim him based on past performance and the low cost of doing so, which also puts the Yankees further in a bind. The probable best outcome is to come up with some sort of injury and let him do some extended spring training, simulated games for a few weeks and see if that helps improve matters.

interesting....does that mean Cliff Lee was there for the taking by any team when the Indians sent him down in 2007? I just thought he had to okay being sent down. You're right then, send him to Tampa, and blame it on the foot. 15 day DL
  • Options
    I love the fact that there will never be a rain out at Safeco Field thanks to our retractable roof. They should have put a one on the new Yankee Stadium.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I love the fact that there will never be a rain out at Safeco Field thanks to our retractable roof. They should have put a one on the new Yankee Stadium.

Retractable roofs are great, but i would not like it on the new stadium. It would just not be Yankee Stadium with a roof.

I have heard a LOT of other complants about the stadium though that i wish they would have addressed.

As for swisher hitting 275/18/80.... I'll take that from him although if he gets 500 AB's i think he will hit closer to 25 hr's He has never hit 275 before so that would be a great year for him. He might have a shot at more then 80 rbis if he gets the AB's and with Nady being out for now that could happen.

no one is looking for swish to carry this team. I really like him though.

When the hell are they going to call up mark melancon to pitch some middle relief?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Retractable roofs are great, but i would not like it on the new stadium. It would just not be Yankee Stadium with a roof.
    Yeah, but I think that may be part of the problem...the whole trying to make the new stadium like the old one. The original Yankee Stadium no roof, but this is the new one and it only makes sense to have a retractable roof in a climate that it rains...like NY and Seattle.
  • Options
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... adium.html

All those long time Yankee season ticket holders have to be pissed being priced out of their seats only to see them go empty ... every game I've seen, there are TONS of empty seats around home plate.

This is the pic from the article ....

alg_yanks.jpg