Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    NS44729 wrote:
    I love that they got Tex right from under the Red Sox, but I don't think that their additions make them the best team by any means.

I would say it's a three dog fight for two play off spots. Health will probably determine who wins the division, who is the wild card and who stays home. The Yankees got better for the long term with all of their moves, and short term BUT, the gained production is not that much better than what they had last year. Look at the production lost with Giambi and Abreau and it is just about the same as what Swisher and Teix bring to the table. On the pitching side they need to add an average of 17 wins each from the loss of Moose and Pettite. CC and Burnett have the potential to do that, but that still leaves them where they were from last year. So the rest of the team has to maintain, or step up, not get hurt or regress to be much better than last year.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Finally got my ID straight so I can post here. So there is still no news on Pettitte eh? Hope he decides to resign for another year. It's not like he's getting any other offers.
    Brian
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    So Joe Torre is coming out with a book bad mouthing The Boss, Cash and A-Rod.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    NCBRI wrote:
    Finally got my ID straight so I can post here. So there is still no news on Pettitte eh? Hope he decides to resign for another year. It's not like he's getting any other offers.

heard this morning that they are close to signing him to a one year deal for $6M garaunteed, potentially up to $12M with incentives ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3861386
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Looks like Pettitte will be back for another year which is good. He lead the team in innings pitched. he was bad the second half of the year but he went out there injuried and did the best he could.

CC
    Wang
    Pettitte
    AJ
    Joba

wich P hughes getting in the mix when one of them inevitably gets injuried. They can pitch Joba in the 5 spot so they can skip him occaionally so his innings dont jump up too drastically this season.
    Health seems to be the only thing holding that rotation back from being solid.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    My guess rotation order will be....

CC
    AJ
    Wang
    Pettitte
    Joba

not bad. just a little better than last year
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Gotta have Wang before AJ.

CC
    Wang
    AJ
    Pettitte
    Joba
  • Options
    My guess rotation order will be....

CC
    AJ
    Wang
    Pettitte
    Joba

not bad. just a little better than last year

The rotation will be:

CC
    AJ
    WANG
    JOBA
    PETTITTE
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    When i put the rotation up i really was not putting them in an order but i would think they would go either
    cc
    wang
    aj
    pettitte
    joba

or

cc
    aj
    wang
    pettitte
    joba

I like the first one a lot more becuase wang splits the two power pitchers CC & AJ. Plus I think Wang has earned the right to pitch second. He has been a 20 game winner for this team. Also the less pressure on AJ the better.

I think it is a given Joba takes the 5 hole so they can skip him when they need to. He only pitched 100 innings last year. Anytime you pitch more then 30 innings one year then the year before your chance of injury goes up greatly. i'm sure they are not looking ot get joba up to 200 innings this year.

health is a concern but hopefully some of the younger pitchers will be able to fill in well if CC, AJ, or Pettitte get injuried.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    When i put the rotation up i really was not putting them in an order but i would think they would go either
    cc
    wang
    aj
    pettitte
    joba

or

cc
    aj
    wang
    pettitte
    joba

I like the first one a lot more becuase wang splits the two power pitchers CC & AJ. Plus I think Wang has earned the right to pitch second. He has been a 20 game winner for this team. Also the less pressure on AJ the better.

I think it is a given Joba takes the 5 hole so they can skip him when they need to. He only pitched 100 innings last year. Anytime you pitch more then 30 innings one year then the year before your chance of injury goes up greatly. i'm sure they are not looking ot get joba up to 200 innings this year.

health is a concern but hopefully some of the younger pitchers will be able to fill in well if CC, AJ, or Pettitte get injuried.

Wang hasn't won 20. He's gotten 19 twice I think. Joba is the 5th starter and Hughes will be the spot starter.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Assuming everyone is healthy on opening day where does Hughes start the year. AAA or in the pen as a long reliever? I'm guessing AAA where he can continue to get his innings and start. I have no doubt that he will be called upon to start for the big club at some point next season.
    Brian
  • Options
    So what are your guys thoughts on Torre?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    NCBRI wrote:
    Assuming everyone is healthy on opening day where does Hughes start the year. AAA or in the pen as a long reliever? I'm guessing AAA where he can continue to get his innings and start. I have no doubt that he will be called upon to start for the big club at some point next season.

I'm guessing he'll start the year in AAA.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    4 Months After The Fact : Jeter stole something from the original Yankee Stadium

ept_sports_mlb_experts-704379305-1233258081.jpg?ymip5tADkipnwFCM

Now it can be told. Four months after actually doing the deed, Derek Jeter is finally admitting that he was able to make a clean getaway with the piece of old Yankee Stadium that he cherished the most.

His target, as reported by Harvey Araton of the New York Times? That would be the "I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" sign that hung in the clubhouse tunnel. For years, the Joe DiMaggio quote reminded each pinstriped one of their good fortune on a daily basis — cranky fans, pesky media and dictatorial owner aside, of course.

Now it'll provide this generation's Greatest Yankee constant inspiration, though Jeter isn't saying where the sign is currently located. Perhaps his current hesitancy or secrecy back in September had something to do with not wanting to be hauled away with 18 other souvenir hunters?

Indeed, the dismantling of Yankee Stadium is going to be followed by a mega-memorabilia sale and there's no doubt that the Yankee Clipper's sign would have fetched a pretty penny.

But let's be serious — who's going to be the one to ask Jeter to return it? Looks like the Yankees will just have to live off sales of the sign's $9.99 replicas.

UPDATE: For those of you not catching on here, the Yankees are fine with No. 2 taking home a memento or two as Jeter is the obvious choice to carry on DiMaggio's quote. We've just been having a bit of fun with the "Jeter as thief" motif. So chill, will ya?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Someone hooked me up with a 10 DVD Collection sold by the Daily News called "Legacy of Greatness". The discs profile great Yankees and each disc is for a different position. Anyone have this or seen it? Looks pretty cool.
    Brian
  • Options
    The Yanks made a trade today, sending Chase Wright, who had been DFA'd to make room for Andy, to the Brewers for a A ball catcher/OF, Eric Fryar. he actually had great numbers, especially for a catcher last year, albeit in just A ball. .335 10 HR's 63 RBI's in just 104 games. He'll be a fun kid to track thru the system. Especially if he sticks as a catcher. Who knows, maybe he's Jorge's backup in 2012
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    he might also be competing with jesus montero by that time.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    i'm going to be in New York mid June, and was wondering how hard is it to get 2 tickets to a game?
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... ml?eref=T1

I wonder how this will effect the club house and more importantly the front office who signed A Rod to that mega deal with plan he would break the tainted home run record by Bonds cleanly.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    It's just always something with this fuckin guy. It's unbelievable...
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    Solat13 wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/07/alex-rodriguez-steroids/index.html?eref=T1

I wonder how this will effect the club house and more importantly the front office who signed A Rod to that mega deal with plan he would break the tainted home run record by Bonds cleanly.

not a surprise. after all the details in the Mitchell report and the various books, I am no longer shocked when anyone even this guy tests positive. As for the clubhouse, they'll support him in public, but beyond that is anyone's guess.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,496
    Alex should own up to this early and move on. His response is I'm not saying anything. IMO thats the wrong approach in many ways. We all no its not just him, its the fact he's a mega star

on a side note....Bud Selig should step down or be forced out. The sight of him makes me sick.What a slimy piece of crap he is.....Oh yea u dont know anything,right!!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    Solat13 wrote:

This story warms my heart!!!! :mrgreen:

"A-rod break the record the right way....BLAH, BLAH, FUCKING-BLAH!"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Alex should own up to this early and move on. His response is I'm not saying anything. IMO thats the wrong approach in many ways. We all no its not just him, its the fact he's a mega star

on a side note....Bud Selig should step down or be forced out. The sight of him makes me sick.What a slimy piece of crap he is.....Oh yea u dont know anything,right!!
    Agree. This guy AND MLB is such a mess. Nothing like any other pro sport.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Bud Selig - the $18 million per year, head in the sand putz. :(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 15O8QF.DTL

Bonds isn't alone in this steroid mess
    Bruce Jenkins

Friday, February 6, 2009

(02-05) 18:39 PST -- Whatever happens in the realm of admissible evidence - and it sounds as if the prosecution's case took a hit Thursday - Barry Bonds' reputation will take a savage beating in the upcoming trial. He'll be exposed, humiliated, ratted out, rendered hopeless as a Hall of Fame candidate, you name it.

But sent to jail? Sorry, but that's way over the top.

A number of observers feel it won't come to that, but the very notion is absurd. Bonds is a baseball player. If you lined up every player of his time, Bonds would stand out for his audacious manner and unparalleled power hitting. If the lineup strictly involved steroid abuse, he'd be a faceless blob in a massive flock of sheep, no more guilty than the rest.

People seem to forget the climate of the times, particularly the winter of 2000-01, during which prosecutors contend that Bonds (about to set the single-season home run record) tested positive twice for steroids. The players universally believed that everything was cool, that Major League Baseball wasn't at all interested in enforcement (and it wasn't), that they could get away with any foray into the world of performance-enhancing drugs, and that they indulged themselves by the hundreds. Bonds is on trial for perjury, but that's just a technicality against the feds' underlying purpose of bringing down the face of the Steroid Era, a man whose relentless arrogance bugged the hell out of them.

You want lying? How about Commissioner Bud Selig, who repeatedly claimed he wasn't aware of steroids in baseball until July of '98, when everyone knew he'd read the prescient column by the Washington Post's Tom Boswell (directly accusing Jose Canseco) 10 years earlier, to say nothing of other suspicion-laden pieces from responsible parties in the ensuing years.

Bonds is about to pay a heavy price - the systematic destruction of his name - and quite possibly the type of physical breakdowns associated with steroid users later in life. Seems to me that's quite enough. If you put him in jail, you'd better clear out San Quentin for the rest.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,496
    Our legal system is a joke imalive. Its all about lawyers getting there name out there

True circus atmosphere
  • Options
    Not saying he was right for taking it in 2003. But those records should have been destroyed. Why not leaked another player from that list?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Is anyone going to watch the WBC?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    check out this story---Damon and Nady have had their funds frozen, caught up jn the Stanford scam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/2 ... 68711.html

TAMPA, Fla. — Yankees outfielders Johnny Damon and Xavier Nady are among the investors whose accounts were caught in a freeze by the government of a company affiliated with Robert Allen Stanford.

The pair did not invest directly with Stanford funds but rather have investments with broker dealers whose accounts were with a Stanford company, Scott Boras, the agent for the pair, said Friday. Boras said the personal management wing of his company was monitoring the situation.

"The broker dealers the players have chosen have advised our personal management auditors the players are not in jeopardy of losing money," Boras said. "I understand government agencies are trying to protect the investor. Hopefully, the agencies will distinguish between those investors who are actually invested in Stanford products from investors whose broker dealers used Stanford as a clearing house and are not affected by the potential claims levied by the government.

"I trust government agencies will take quick steps to narrow the affected investor class and restore account access to all others."

The Securities and Exchange Commission this week froze the assets of Stanford International Bank, Stanford Capital Management and Stanford Group Co.

"I can't pay bills right now," Damon was quoted as saying by foxsports.com. "That started on Tuesday. I had to pay a trainer for working out during the offseason. I told him, 'Just hold on for a little bit and hopefully all this stuff gets resolved.'"

"I didn't have money with Stanford, but all my credit card accounts are frozen right now because of that situation," Nady was quoted as saying by foxsports.com. "I'm trying to get an apartment in New York. I can't put a credit card down to hold it."

Boras said that broker-dealers were chosen by the players independently and were not connected to Boras' company.