~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    no adjusting at all......you adjust it to fit him when you first get it and that's it......it will amaze you how much better control you'll have over him.....:)
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    cutback wrote:
    no adjusting at all......you adjust it to fit him when you first get it and that's it......it will amaze you how much better control you'll have over him.....:)

Awesome! :) Thanks cb! I hate having to wrestle him and he wears me out because he so strong. If he didn't pull so much I could walk him much further and he'd be a whole lot happier with that I expect! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Awesome! :) Thanks cb! I hate having to wrestle him and he wears me out because he so strong. If he didn't pull so much I could walk him much further and he'd be a whole lot happier with that I expect! :)

watch this.....watch the way cesar handles this dog.....i recommend you try this once you get the leader so you have a little more control over lukin...:)
  • AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    I finally found a pic of Maggie... its kinda blurry cause i had to crop my mom out but here she is. shes a huuuuge black lab

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/susiejane_01/mags-2.jpg

and she's smilin for all of you
    cutback wrote:
    watch this.....watch the way cesar handles this dog.....i recommend you try this once you get the leader so you have a little more control over lukin...:)

That's exactly what he does! At the start of the video anyway, except that it's not aggressive, it seems more playful to me, than aggressive. He doesn't growl or attack, it's more like he wants to play and he's saying hello. But he's hell bent on it and doesn't really make sure the other dog wants to say hello first! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the grabbing him by the scruff of the neck and rolling him over is something I can do with him, because I've been doing it all week to get his cream on his itchy bits! :)

Thanks cb! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    AllIAm wrote:
    I finally found a pic of Maggie... its kinda blurry cause i had to crop my mom out but here she is. shes a huuuuge black lab

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/susiejane_01/mags-2.jpg

and she's smilin for all of you

What a star! :) She's gorgeous and so photogenic! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    What a star! :) She's gorgeous and so photogenic! :)

aww well thank you. she looooves the camera.. everytime you take a picture thats what she does. so sweet. shes a purebred so she has the classic lab features.. and those eyes.. oh those eyes can melt you
    AllIAm wrote:
    aww well thank you. she looooves the camera.. everytime you take a picture thats what she does. so sweet. shes a purebred so she has the classic lab features.. and those eyes.. oh those eyes can melt you

:) They seem to have a knack for that, dogs. Looking at you till you melt! :D
    Lukin has this way of tilting his head, and just tonight he was sitting on the couch with me and I was tickling his paws and I discovered that he is actually ticklish! He pulled is paw up underneath himself so I couldn't get to it, put his other paw over my hand to stop it and then curled back his lips in the most amazing smile and poked his tongue out at me! :D I nearly wet my pants laughing at him, he was sooo funny! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    :) They seem to have a knack for that, dogs. Looking at you till you melt! :D
    Lukin has this way of tilting his head, and just tonight he was sitting on the couch with me and I was tickling his paws and I discovered that he is actually ticklish! He pulled is paw up underneath himself so I couldn't get to it, put his other paw over my hand to stop it and then curled back his lips in the most amazing smile and poked his tongue out at me! :D I nearly wet my pants laughing at him, he was sooo funny! :D

aww thats so sweet.. maggie actually doesnt like having hre paws touched.. maybe thats why ahaha. i love when she half ass gets mad at you though. if i touch her paw she will pretend like shes gonna bite me but end up licking me. they are so sweet i can't stand it
    AllIAm wrote:
    aww thats so sweet.. maggie actually doesnt like having hre paws touched.. maybe thats why ahaha. i love when she half ass gets mad at you though. if i touch her paw she will pretend like shes gonna bite me but end up licking me. they are so sweet i can't stand it

:D They are sweeties that's for sure! She sounds lovely!

Lukin even knows how to give me cuddles now! If I say, "Give Mummy cuddles" and put my arms around him, he flops back against me and lifts his head up to my shoulder and rests it there. And I usually get "kisses" about then! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Jeanie wrote:
    :D Sorry! Not laughing at you, but with you! Same here! I'm not looking forward to taking him, because I just know he's going to be a rat bag! I was sooo embarrassed when he went off on his little psycho Cujo thing on Monday night! He was barking and whining and wimpering and lunging at this other dog and making so much noise that people came out of their houses to see if it was a dog fight and when they could only see us, (the other couple took off with their dog very quickly, thankfully) I'm quite sure people thought I was beating him!! :o It took me all my strength to get him to settle down, and of course my most commanding voice, which was just drawing more attention! So I hobbled home with him, with my foot bleeding and I contemplated blue murder every limp of the way! Little bugger! But I think he knows he was naughty and I know that the cortizone injection he had at the Vet probably didn't help. I've been given a pamphlet about this really cool dog lead/collar called the Gentle Leader. The vet recommended it. I'm going to get one in the morning before I take him to Obedience School. The guy there said they are a good idea too. Maybe they'd help you with the taming of the beast? :)

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=17

Product overview here:

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=29

They work excellent....we have had to go the route of the pinch collar. GL are not to be used with Dobies, not good for their necks. Pinch collar wasn't working in class....I'm in deep dodoo with this puppy! Problem is he is close to 95 pounds if not there yet, and only 11 months!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • cutback wrote:

norm says hi! :)

awwww...norm looks GREAT! he's really grown, gotten big! such a cutie! :D

btw - i too tried the gentle leader harness with one of my dogs....and it does work. it's hard tho, b/c people look at you funny, like you have a muzzle on the dog or something. :( however, the dog soooo needed it, and eventually, with training, didn't any longer. i think a LOT of really smart dogs need it, and strong training.....but in time, once they fully respect who's in charge....grow past it, and it becomes unnecessary. good luck!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

awwww...norm looks GREAT! he's really grown, gotten big! such a cutie! :D

thanks...:)....you know though, he hasn't grown at all.....he's the same size he was when i first got him although he has filled out some....:)

btw - i too tried the gentle leader harness with one of my dogs....and it does work. it's hard tho, b/c people look at you funny, like you have a muzzle on the dog or something. :( however, the dog soooo needed it, and eventually, with training, didn't any longer. i think a LOT of really smart dogs need it, and strong training.....but in time, once they fully respect who's in charge....grow past it, and it becomes unnecessary. good luck!

i don't know what i would have done with norm without it....:)
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Austicman wrote:

she doesn't look exactly thrilled with that hat. :)

probably thinking like all animals whose keepers dress them up, why?. why must they humiliate me like this. i'm just a simple creature. and then they spend the rest of the day working out when and where they can pee and get away with it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

probably thinking like all animals whose keepers dress them up, why?. why must they humiliate me like this. i'm just a simple creature. and then they spend the rest of the day working out when and where they can pee and get away with it.

:D:D
  • cutback wrote:
    I just love that show! Plus I get a kick out of the dogs getting excited from all the barking. Their heads start tilting back and forth trying to figure out where the barking is coming from, yet they will sit and watch the tv if a dog is the focus of the camera.

We tried using something similar to the GL but I think it was a different brand. It worked fantastic until Kali figured out how to get it off her snout. Then it was useless.

Pretty much. It wasn't my idea but she does look cute and I've only got a couple of photos of her when shes a pup.

She does have a 'security' jumper thats she loves in winter. Especially if I warm it up in front of the heater first.
    Austicman wrote:
    Pretty much. It wasn't my idea but she does look cute and I've only got a couple of photos of her when shes a pup.

She does have a 'security' jumper thats she loves in winter. Especially if I warm it up in front of the heater first.

well she's a good lookin' dog....:D
    Austicman wrote:

sure pass the buck. ;):p

i am amazed dogs managed to survive all those years without humans around to warm their jumpers for them. LMAO!!! :rolleyes: :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    PJaddicted wrote:
    They work excellent....we have had to go the route of the pinch collar. GL are not to be used with Dobies, not good for their necks. Pinch collar wasn't working in class....I'm in deep dodoo with this puppy! Problem is he is close to 95 pounds if not there yet, and only 11 months!

oxc

HOLY SHIT!! :eek: I just did the metric conversion on 95 pounds!!! Petey weighs 43 kilos!!!! :eek: I thought Lukin was a monster at 21 kilos (46 pounds) WOW!! You've really got a handful there! I didn't manage to get to Obedience Training today, and I still haven't got the GL but I'll try to get it tonight. My vet is only open 8am to 10am and then again from 4pm to 7pm, so I keep missing my window of opportunity! And Lukin can go to Obedience Training Sunday morning. He was actually very good on his walk last night. He even sat and stayed while we waited for Mum to walk up from the train. I did take treats in my pocket though, which seemed to be very effective. And there weren't any other dogs about so hard to know if he's cottoned on that if he's bad I won't take him or he was just biding his time till another dog showed up! It's not going to do him any good. I AM the pack leader! ;) Sooner he gets used to that the better off we're all going to be! :D
    I've got NO IDEA how you're gonna master Petey. He sounds like a doggy MOUNTAIN! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    btw - i too tried the gentle leader harness with one of my dogs....and it does work. it's hard tho, b/c people look at you funny, like you have a muzzle on the dog or something. : ( however, the dog soooo needed it, and eventually, with training, didn't any longer. i think a LOT of really smart dogs need it, and strong training.....but in time, once they fully respect who's in charge....grow past it, and it becomes unnecessary. good luck!

Thanks dream. :) I'm not so worried about people and their funny looks. I'd rather they thought (incorrectly) that I'd muzzled him than think that he's a vicious Cujo about to eat everything and everybody in sight! It's weird the way some people react to dogs. I've seen people look at Lukin with fear in their eyes and cross the street and walk faster to get away from him, which just mystifies me because he's the biggest sook and such a softy he'd probably lick them to death! :p I really don't get it. I simply want him to be better behaved when I'm walking him ( for his sake and safety as much as anyone elses ) and I think this GL sounds like a great idea, so I'm really keen to give it a go. If others think he's muzzled they're probably also freaking out that he's a vicious dog! :rolleyes: I mean he's a vicious licker! :p But that's about it! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    she doesn't look exactly thrilled with that hat. : )

Would you believe cate, that the day after I got Lukin I was in K-Mart with Mum to get a few things for him, and she actually pulled this doggy T-shirt thing off the shelf and started telling me how cute it was?????????? :eek: :confused: I mean you've met my Mum, you can IMAGINE how completely baffled I was by her affinity for it!! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Austicman wrote:

Beautiful puppers but you know I think that already Austicman. :)

I gotta ask though, what's the deal with all the snow in these pics? :confused:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Would you believe cate, that the day after I got Lukin I was in K-Mart with Mum to get a few things for him, and she actually pulled this doggy T-shirt thing off the shelf and started telling me how cute it was?????????? :eek: :confused: I mean you've met my Mum, you can IMAGINE how completely baffled I was by her affinity for it!!

i can imagine quite a lot jeanie, you know that. :D

if it was one of those mambo 'dog trumpet' ts i can totally relate. :D

doggy clothes are like baby clothes. they're sooo cute, but you put them back on the shelf quick enough. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i can imagine quite a lot jeanie, you know that. : D

if it was one of those mambo 'dog trumpet' ts i can totally relate. : D

doggy clothes are like baby clothes. they're sooo cute, but you put them back on the shelf quick enough. : )

hehe! That is true cate! you have a very vivid imagination! :D

It had nothing to do with mambo. If it was a Reg Mombassa maybe I'd have been more interested in it! Was just a pale blue (yeah, pale blue on a dog! :rolleyes: ) T-shirt with some inane slogan on the front of it! :rolleyes:

I can see the point to wet weather or snow gear for a dog. I realize that they're not used to clothing, but I think they've become so domesticated and with all the creature comforts, really bad weather isn't great for them without some protection, otherwise I have no plans to "dress up" my dog! That's what DOLLS are for! ;) Although I do confess to having the occassional overwhelming desire to paint his toenails! :o NOT that I would of course!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    hehe! That is true cate! you have a very vivid imagination! :D
    :)
    Jeanie wrote:
    I can see the point to wet weather or snow gear for a dog. I realize that they're not used to clothing, but I think they've become so domesticated and with all the creature comforts, really bad weather isn't great for them without some protection, otherwise I have no plans to "dress up" my dog! That's what DOLLS are for! ;) Although I do confess to having the occassional overwhelming desire to paint his toenails! :o NOT that I would of course!

they got fur coats, why do they need a raincoat?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    :)

they got fur coats, why do they need a raincoat?

Yes, this is true, however I don't think my dog is genetically wired to living or spending a lot of time in the snow or rain. He's a short hair, unlike say a Malamut, Samoid or Husky who have thicker coats because they're from colder temperatures. So a coat would be better for him in that extreme of temperature, just as a Malamut would probably need to be clipped if it was trying to survive in warmer temperatures. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Beautiful puppers but you know I think that already Austicman. :)

I gotta ask though, what's the deal with all the snow in these pics? :confused:

Thats my brother in-laws at Oberon. Got heaps of snow dumps this year. Usuall get a about 3 good falls a year but got about 6 this year

Summer Evening

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Austicman/DSC00034.jpg

Winters Day

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Austicman/DSC00091.jpg