~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Unoffocial results just posted... Tessie (dark dog in signature line) is #16 and Sailor (happy Lab) is #32 in the US/Canada in agility (the venue we compete in) for 2010. :D

Imagine how well they would do if they had a competent handler!

Sweet Pea, the coonhound and reluctant participant, didn't even make the top 200 as 105 points for the year aren't enough to make any of the "good" lists. But she'd be Top 50 if the list was the Dogs Most Amusing To Watch.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Unoffocial results just posted... Tessie (dark dog in signature line) is #16 and Sailor (happy Lab) is #32 in the US/Canada in agility (the venue we compete in) for 2010. :D

Sweet Pea, the coonhound and reluctant participant, didn't even make the top 200 as 105 points for the year aren't enough to make any of the "good" lists. But she'd be Top 50 if the list was the Dogs Most Amusing To Watch.

Congrats to all the Unlost Doggies! You're all champions in MY eyes! :clap::clap::clap:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

congrats to the pack! :thumbup:

if norm didn't have a completely apathetic owner, he'd kickass in those competitions :oops: :P
    norm wrote:

congrats to the pack! :thumbup:

if norm didn't have a completely apathetic owner, he'd kickass in those competitions :oops: :P

He really would :shock: oh my God, I would love to run with him on a course! He'd be such a typical lab _ they'd have to rebuild all the jumps, reinforce the sandbags on the tunnels, and duct-tape down the weave poles.

Labs do EVERYTHING at Full Speed and Exuberance.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    He really would :shock: oh my God, I would love to run with him on a course! He'd be such a typical lab _ they'd have to rebuild all the jumps, reinforce the sandbags on the tunnels, and duct-tape down the weave poles.

a few years ago, i went to let norm out in the backyard...from the backdoor to the back fence is about 60 feet...i opened the door, he saw something and took off...honestly, i never saw him travel the distance...at one point he was at my feet the next he was at the back fence...he doesn't have quite that speed anymore but given his small size, he could blow through those agility challenges...but the thing that he would excel at is the long jump into the water...problem there being he hates water :? :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:

a few years ago, i went to let norm out in the backyard...from the backdoor to the back fence is about 60 feet...i opened the door, he saw something and took off...honestly, i never saw him travel the distance...at one point he was at my feet the next he was at the back fence...he doesn't have quite that speed anymore but given his small size, he could blow through those agility challenges...but the thing that he would excel at is the long jump into the water...problem there being he hates water :? :lol::lol:

are you sure norm is a lab? :lol::lol::lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:

are you sure norm is a lab? :lol::lol::lol:

seriously?? it's the damnedest thing...besides drinking it, he wants NOTHING to do with water...whatever else he's mixed with must be some water-hating dog :roll: :lol:
  • I used to have a husky/lab mix. We had a brook running through our back yard. My dad's friend came over w/ his lab and started throwing a tennis ball for the dogs to chase. After a while he starts throwing the ball into the brook. The dogs go in to get the ball. My dog finds a rock to stand on in the middle of the brook. My dad's friend's lab comes out of the water with the ball and they continue to play. Time passes, other doggie goes home, my dog...still on that rock in the middle of the brook. We figured if we went inside, he'd eventually follow. 8pm rolls around, starting to get dark and the dog's still in the brook. My dad finally had to go wade in and get him out.

I used to think all dogs liked to swim...guess not. :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Sailor LOVES to swim, anywhere, anytime. Sweet Pea and Tessie hate it.

I would love to try dock diving with Mr. Man sometimes. We took a class once, and he really seemed to enjoy it. But we've neve rcompeted. I'm terrible at throwing stuff and would probably hit some bystander, who would then have 58 pounds of amped up Labrador at their feet, begging for more.

Sailor recently ran a course in 12.93 seconds. It was like nothing I'd ever seen. I just remember taking my hand off his snout at the start, and he was gone. Qualifying score, too. I think it was 10 obstacles total, as I recall. And he's 9 1/2.
    Waldo HATED the water when he was a puppy...he'd scream thrash and kick whenever I was holding him and waded into the water. Ok fine...so we have a water hating lab... :evil: We took him to the local off leash dog park and it's by the slough, so Waldo is watching all the other dogs jump in the water after balls and he's crying and whining cuz he doesn't want to get wet, but he wants to get a ball...the other dogs left so it's just me and Waldo he's gingerly dipping his paws in the water still crying....along comes a duck swimming by...I said, "Waldo what's THAT?!?!" The duck lets out a 'quack' and starts swimming in circles in front of him...like he's teasing my dog. Waldo throws himself in the water and starts swimming towards the duck...and fast I don't know what I'm gonna do if he can't swim back so I ask him, "what are you gonna do if you catch the duck?" Waldo looks back at me and back at the duck, and came swimming back at me, but now he ALWAYS looks for water...or ducks....(yes his favorite TV show is Ducks Unlimited) :lol::lol::lol:

- Christopher McCandless
    my brother in law has 2 water loving labs...whenever we get together, his dogs go batshit in the water...norm wants to join in but will not go in the water...so he just runs around on the shore until they come back in :roll:
  • That is too funny 4and20!

Unlost - I think you need to start dragging Mr. Unlost along to some of these dog competitions to take some video footage of Sailor kickin ass!!!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    4and20 wrote:
    Waldo HATED the water when he was a puppy...he'd scream thrash and kick whenever I was holding him and waded into the water. Ok fine...so we have a water hating lab... :evil: We took him to the local off leash dog park and it's by the slough, so Waldo is watching all the other dogs jump in the water after balls and he's crying and whining cuz he doesn't want to get wet, but he wants to get a ball...the other dogs left so it's just me and Waldo he's gingerly dipping his paws in the water still crying....along comes a duck swimming by...I said, "Waldo what's THAT?!?!" The duck lets out a 'quack' and starts swimming in circles in front of him...like he's teasing my dog. Waldo throws himself in the water and starts swimming towards the duck...and fast I don't know what I'm gonna do if he can't swim back so I ask him, "what are you gonna do if you catch the duck?" Waldo looks back at me and back at the duck, and came swimming back at me, but now he ALWAYS looks for water...or ducks....(yes his favorite TV show is Ducks Unlimited) :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: That is a good little story! I totally pictured that. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    SENROCK wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

:lol: That is a good little story! I totally pictured that. :D

i think waldo and norm are related...he'd do the same thing :lol::lol:
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I used to have a husky/lab mix. We had a brook running through our back yard. My dad's friend came over w/ his lab and started throwing a tennis ball for the dogs to chase. After a while he starts throwing the ball into the brook. The dogs go in to get the ball. My dog finds a rock to stand on in the middle of the brook. My dad's friend's lab comes out of the water with the ball and they continue to play. Time passes, other doggie goes home, my dog...still on that rock in the middle of the brook. We figured if we went inside, he'd eventually follow. 8pm rolls around, starting to get dark and the dog's still in the brook. My dad finally had to go wade in and get him out.

I used to think all dogs liked to swim...guess not. :lol:

haha awwww poor doggie! Surf hated the water too. Its weird though cuz as a puppy and until he was a year old, he used to LOVE jumping in our pool. One day i couldnt find him and he was about 8 months old. I went CRAZY looking for him ALL over the house and throughout the property. I started to cry cuz i wondered how he could have gone anywhere else but the house. Well, i walk outside to where the pool guy was and asked if he'd seen my doggie! He looks at me and points and theres surfer doing little doggie paddles as the pool is filling up! :lol: I couldnt see him at first when i walked by the patio cuz the pool was drained. For about 5 months after that, he went swimming everyday. Then suddenly he quit liking water. :?
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • God the boys LOVED water, you could NOT keep them out of it. However at one point I had a female wolfie named Duchess, ( she's been lovingly re-homed, as three was just too many) and she HATED the water. It was really funny cause her and Ace were virtually inseperable, until Ace went swimming. At one point, she'd go in up to her ankles but once while playing with her at the water's edge, Ace bowled her over into the water and she never went that close again..Kinda funny. I wish all my pics hadn't gotten destroyed, I had this awesome pic of the boys on rafts in a Missouri Creek named Shoal Creek. They loved living in Joplin, there was always water near-by for them to escape off to swim in.

But my favorite dog hating water story was a Pit Bull/Akita mix I had named Ten. She hated water so badly that she'd walk miles to avoid it. We went camping on a lake Island one year and, once she realized she was surrounded by water she howled for the entire three day trip. My dad was so disturbed that he told me she could never go again, I think she got the idea; she ran away the next day and I never saw her again.. I was heart-broken, our German Shephard was relieved, and I believe Ten must have been traumatized. She was like Fuck these people and their water, I'm out of here!!
    That is too funny 4and20!

Unlost - I think you need to start dragging Mr. Unlost along to some of these dog competitions to take some video footage of Sailor kickin ass!!!

I do have video, but Sailor's average qualifying rate is about 60% so although he's always going big, he's often going wrong. :lol::lol:

Sweet Pea is far, far more entertaining. There's a photo from this weekend of me literally on my knees, begging her to move toward me and take a jump. She's standing with her butt to the camera, nose turned away. You can just imagine the thought bubble over her head, saying "Bite me."
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    congrats
    unlostdogs

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    12 degrees at the park this morning :shock:

gracie has become obsessed with sticks. she spots them a mile away, eats them and then goes home to barf :roll:

Photo0203.jpg

Photo0205.jpg

she is getting a little more used to her booties :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Love Gracie's booties! She is so pretty, posing in the snow, thinking, "I think I'll go home and upchuck sticks in the living room. Yup, definitely put that on the agenda for the day."
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I love Gracie's booties, too. I'd like to get some for Brian, even thought we're in So Cal. Maybe as a fashion statement. Is she used to them by now?
  • What kind of booties did you get her? Ive seen a bunch around, bought some once that didnt stay on for more than two steps, and threw them out. My little dude could really use some right now - landlord dumping buckets of rock salt on top of all the snow/ice, Bugsy's little feet get frozen and he tries to stand on only one leg, rotating which two he holds up from the ground....Im also wondering if its worth the time it takes to put them on...especially for the outside trip in the morning before rushing off to work.

What kind of booties did you get her? Ive seen a bunch around, bought some once that didnt stay on for more than two steps, and threw them out. My little dude could really use some right now - landlord dumping buckets of rock salt on top of all the snow/ice, Bugsy's little feet get frozen and he tries to stand on only one leg, rotating which two he holds up from the ground....Im also wondering if its worth the time it takes to put them on...especially for the outside trip in the morning before rushing off to work.

Yes, definitely. That rock salt can really do a number on their paws.

Can you convince the landlord to use pet-safe stuff instead? It's more expensive.

Alternatively, you could have a little bucket and a towel by the front door and dip and wipe Bugsy's paws when he comes back inside.

Poor Bugsy!
  • Landlord is a cheap ass. Ive gotten the pet salt before, but its kinda pointless to get it if its only gonna be used on my porch, and not all over the driveway to the lawn also. it is damn expensive too. It is really kinda funny to see him try to stand on only one leg...but, when its that bad, it really defeats the purpose of even going outside cuz nothin is gonna get accomplished with out all paws on the ground :lol: We did get him a new sweater which he is really liking and it helps a lot when its so cold out. I know clothes arent for dogs...but my little guy is so close to the ground and has short hair, so anything helps. I'll have to post a pic of him in his sweater..he looks all studious :lol:

Landlord is a cheap ass. Ive gotten the pet salt before, but its kinda pointless to get it if its only gonna be used on my porch, and not all over the driveway to the lawn also. it is damn expensive too. It is really kinda funny to see him try to stand on only one leg...but, when its that bad, it really defeats the purpose of even going outside cuz nothin is gonna get accomplished with out all paws on the ground :lol: We did get him a new sweater which he is really liking and it helps a lot when its so cold out. I know clothes arent for dogs...but my little guy is so close to the ground and has short hair, so anything helps. I'll have to post a pic of him in his sweater..he looks all studious :lol:

Okay, here's the deal: If you're carrying Bugsy around in one of those plaid dog purses, you are so NOT camping next to me at PJFest unless you are prepared to endure merciless mocking.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • no worries...he does not go into a dog purse! He's a beefy dude. Bigger than your average Boston... He's just cold blooded so we gotta keep em warm 8-)

no worries...he does not go into a dog purse! He's a beefy dude. Bigger than your average Boston... He's just cold blooded so we gotta keep em warm 8-)

:lol:;)
    I have Fido Fleece for my three. The girls both need it, especially Sweet Pea. Sailor looks embarrassed ("Awww, Mom, I'm a Lab from Canada fer Pete's sake.") but is unfailingly polite about wearing it.
    no worries...he does not go into a dog purse! He's a beefy dude. Bigger than your average Boston... He's just cold blooded so we gotta keep em warm 8-)

unlost will mock me and my little chihuahua who is always wearing a sweater these days...and she always tries to climb in my purse when I get ready to leave the house..... :oops:

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:

unlost will mock me and my little chihuahua who is always wearing a sweater these days...and she always tries to climb in my purse when I get ready to leave the house..... :oops:

Sweater is perfectly appropriate as long as it isn't bedazzled.

Dog in purse: Not fine.

I brought my three down to the pet spa for bath day last summer and this woman wheels in a BEAGLE in a carriage. A Beagle for chrissakes!

She sees two of mine sitting beside the tub, sadly waiting their turn, while the third is sadly being bathed.

"I wish you would train my dog. He would never sit like that. I can't even walk him on a leash. He just won't go."

I looked at this ridiculously fat Beagle. Thought, "Get him out of the freaking carriage! The beagle is a hunting dog, they're bred to run! They're active, and sporty and fun, they aren't dolls! PLAY WITH YOUR FRIGGING DOG!"

But I just said, "You should work with a professional trainer. Here's my trainer's name."

Woman said, "Oh, that's too far to drive." (It's 45 minutes.)

Me: :roll:

Poor beagle.
    actually the main reason for 'purses' for the little guys is that most of them have luxating patellas and they shouldn't be walked for long distances (too much stress on the knees)...my little one goes for walks for a mile, then it's in the carrier...she actually wants to walk with Waldo, but her knees are not the best, and I want to put off surgery as long as possible :)

I refuse to get a 'stroller/carriage' for her....and a beagle is big enough to walk on his own...that lady babied her dog way too much and that's why her dog is being stubborn....seen WAY too many 'capable' dogs in freaking strollers....wait till their dog HAS to use a cart...then they cry.... :cry:

- Christopher McCandless