~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• DSC00001-1.jpg
    Amber aged 10 1/2
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Hiya Bugsy & Amber!

Special message for Gracie from Sweet Pea & Tessie: Lay low, sister, they're on to us. Our people came home yesterday to find a case of bottled water attacked with bottle caps, labels and shreds of cardboard strewn about the sunroom. We waited for years, biding our time until the moment was right, then WHAM.

Cases of water have been stored in that exact spot, unmolested, since before we were born.

The people never saw it coming.

Revolution takes patience, Gracie.

Carry on.

(Please note that Sailor refuses to take part in any such activities and the entire time was likely pacing about worriedly while the girls wreked havoc, saying, "oh, this is bad, there'll be trouble."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Had a 2 hour journey to the passport office today to replace the passport that Molly chewed. £96!!!! She is going to have to pay for it by doing housework I think.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    DSC_0033.jpg

Above is Sailor on Ocean Trail at Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island, Maine, 09/13/10.

DSC_0071.jpg

And above is Tessie at Bubble Pond, Acadia National Park.

DSC_0088.jpg

And above is Sweet Pea on the road leading up Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park.

DSC_0099.jpg

And finally, all three of them posting at the Cadillac Mountain Summit.

If you're ever in New England... Mount Desert Island and ESPECIALLY Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are unbelievably dog friendly. You can take the dogs into stores in Bar Harbor, and there are a bunch of restaurants that allow them on the patios. That's unusual for around here (sadly).

PJaddicted wrote:
    Boys hiking today. It was gorgeous out!

DSC03410.jpg
    DSC03413.jpg

I love these!!!!!!!!1
    Everyone has such lovely pics of their dogs on hikes!!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    DSC_0033.jpg

Above is Sailor on Ocean Trail at Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island, Maine, 09/13/10.

DSC_0071.jpg

And above is Tessie at Bubble Pond, Acadia National Park.

DSC_0088.jpg

And above is Sweet Pea on the road leading up Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park.

DSC_0099.jpg

And finally, all three of them posting at the Cadillac Mountain Summit.

If you're ever in New England... Mount Desert Island and ESPECIALLY Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are unbelievably dog friendly. You can take the dogs into stores in Bar Harbor, and there are a bunch of restaurants that allow them on the patios. That's unusual for around here (sadly).

PJaddicted wrote:
    Boys hiking today. It was gorgeous out!

DSC03410.jpg
    DSC03413.jpg

I love these!!!!!!!!1
    Everyone has such lovely pics of their dogs on hikes!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    OMG what a face! :shock: :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    imalive wrote:
    OMG what a face! :shock: :lol:
    yeah look at those eyes!
    so cute
    sillouhette-1.jpg
    DSC_0988-1.jpg

Special message for Gracie from Sweet Pea & Tessie: Lay low, sister, they're on to us. Our people came home yesterday to find a case of bottled water attacked with bottle caps, labels and shreds of cardboard strewn about the sunroom. We waited for years, biding our time until the moment was right, then WHAM.

Cases of water have been stored in that exact spot, unmolested, since before we were born.

The people never saw it coming.

Revolution takes patience, Gracie.

Carry on.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    haffajappa wrote:
    sillouhette-1.jpg
    are we all going to be expected to post artistic shots? :?
    great picture! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    This is still my favorite thread. Whenever I feel down . . . it's time to see the PJ doggies! Actually, whenever I feel good it's time to see the PJ doggies, as well. :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    haffajappa wrote:
    sillouhette-1.jpg
    DSC_0988-1.jpg

These pics are soooooooo beautiful!!!! And i LOVE your new avatar!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • imalive wrote:
    are we all going to be expected to post artistic shots? :?
    DSC06530-1.jpg
    haffajappa wrote:
    sillouhette-1.jpg
    DSC_0988-1.jpg

Wow, that silhouette is so cool!!! Just gorgeous!!!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • How's this for fine art? :P

DSC06530-1-1.jpg
    How's this for fine art? :P

DSC06530-1-1.jpg
    did you commission andy warhol before he died? :shock: :? ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wow. I am speechless.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so i'd like to tell y'all about my best friend norm

in july, 2004, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer on her liver...she was given 2 weeks to 6 months to live...needless to say this was devastating news...she immediately started on chemo and within months it was working and her doctor revised her prognosis...within a year, the cancer was virtually gone...however, it returned a few months later and never really went away after that but the chemos were working but once one stops working you can never use it again...but each time her doctor would have a new treatment to try...

i've always wanted a dog but did not want to have one if i was living in an apartment...finally, in may 2005, i moved into a house with a yard!! and that yard was missing something...a dog!!! so in february 2006 i went down to the local animal shelter and saw an eight month old black lab mix...perfect!

i work with my dad and our office is the garage of the house i grew up in...so every day, i go 'home' to work...initially, i didn't bring norm with me to work because my folks were never big animal people...they like dogs but never wanted to deal with them...when i was 6-7 years old i wanted a dog and my mom told me that dogs belong in doggie land :( :lol: i never quite figured out where this land was but i assume it's wherever my parents weren't :lol:

so for the first couple months i'd go home and let norm out of his crate and let him run around...well this got to be inconvenient either due to work or having to take my mom to various doctor appointments...one day my dad says to bring norm with me...i was shocked but i guess in their old age they've mellowed...but in any case, it was great to be able to have norm with me all the time!

and it turns out, my parents thought it was great too! a few months in and my mom is buying scoobie snacks and is teaching norm tricks! :o hell, i wasn't even doing that :lol: and no matter how bad she felt from the chemo, she made sure norm got his treat...it got so that he knew when it was treat time (noon time when i would have lunch) and wouldn't settle down until he got it...at one point she was giving him 2-3 treats a day!! i had to put my foot down on that...he wouldn't eat his dinner he so full of treats :twisted: :D and the first time i had to go out of town, my mom was so excited to take care of him! it was during this time that she trained him to lift his paw to get a treat...and norm was so patient with her, never begging or snapping the treat from her hand

all this to say that after going through 7 chemos over 6 years and having the cancer virtually gone twice, on sept 8th my mom lost her fight with cancer...she made sure to make it to her 76th birthday on the 7th but she had run out of fight to go on

norm is a blessing in my and my parents life...i'm convinced having him around prolonged my mom's life...he made her smile in her worst times...and he has kept me sane through all of this...i really don't have the words to describe what he has done for me...fact is, it's taken me a week to write this...i hope i've made sense

i'd like to thank everyone here...this thread and the pit in general have been a great distraction these last 4 years i've been here...i've met some awesome people some of whom have become great friends...looking forward to seeing some of you at bridge :)

tim

1387b068.jpg
    e6129ce6.jpg
    IMG_2664-1.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,459
    norm wrote:

in july, 2004, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer on her liver...she was given 2 weeks to 6 months to live...needless to say this was devastating news...she immediately started on chemo and within months it was working and her doctor revised her prognosis...within a year, the cancer was virtually gone...however, it returned a few months later and never really went away after that but the chemos were working but once one stops working you can never use it again...but each time her doctor would have a new treatment to try...

i've always wanted a dog but did not want to have one if i was living in an apartment...finally, in may 2005, i moved into a house with a yard!! and that yard was missing something...a dog!!! so in february 2006 i went down to the local animal shelter and saw an eight month old black lab mix...perfect!

i work with my dad and our office is the garage of the house i grew up in...so every day, i go 'home' to work...initially, i didn't bring norm with me to work because my folks were never big animal people...they like dogs but never wanted to deal with them...when i was 6-7 years old i wanted a dog and my mom told me that dogs belong in doggie land :( :lol: i never quite figured out where this land was but i assume it's wherever my parents weren't :lol:

so for the first couple months i'd go home and let norm out of his crate and let him run around...well this got to be inconvenient either due to work or having to take my mom to various doctor appointments...one day my dad says to bring norm with me...i was shocked but i guess in their old age they've mellowed...but in any case, it was great to be able to have norm with me all the time!

and it turns out, my parents thought it was great too! a few months in and my mom is buying scoobie snacks and is teaching norm tricks! :o hell, i wasn't even doing that :lol: and no matter how bad she felt from the chemo, she made sure norm got his treat...it got so that he knew when it was treat time (noon time when i would have lunch) and wouldn't settle down until he got it...at one point she was giving him 2-3 treats a day!! i had to put my foot down on that...he wouldn't eat his dinner he so full of treats :twisted: :D and the first time i had to go out of town, my mom was so excited to take care of him! it was during this time that she trained him to lift his paw to get a treat...and norm was so patient with her, never begging or snapping the treat from her hand

all this to say that after going through 7 chemos over 6 years and having the cancer virtually gone twice, on sept 8th my mom lost her fight with cancer...she made sure to make it to her 76th birthday on the 7th but she had run out of fight to go on

norm is a blessing in my and my parents life...i'm convinced having him around prolonged my mom's life...he made her smile in her worst times...and he has kept me sane through all of this...i really don't have the words to describe what he has done for me...fact is, it's taken me a week to write this...i hope i've made sense

i'd like to thank everyone here...this thread and the pit in general have been a great distraction these last 4 years i've been here...i've met some awesome people some of whom have become great friends...looking forward to seeing some of you at bridge :)

tim

1387b068.jpg
    e6129ce6.jpg
    IMG_2664-1.jpg

hey man...sorry to hear about your mom passing (i always assumed your name was norm).....glad norm made her last few years that much more enjoyable though. dogs are awesome like that.
    www.myspace.com
  • Tim, I'm so sorry about your mom. :cry:

But I'm so glad you've had Norm to be your best friend and to be your mom's friend too! I'll bet he brought her a lot of joy during her illness. It sounds like she enjoyed his companionship during the last few years, even taking the time to teach him tricks! It's as if she passed on a part of herself to him.

Django, Penny and I send you and Norm hugs in spirit. :wave:
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Tim, I'm real sorry about your loss. :(

Norm, you're such a good boy!
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    All the Best to you and your family Tim.

What a tale bud. I haven't got the words.

Not only has Norm prolonged your Mom's life but he'll lift the dark cloud hanging over you and your Dad when it seems the heaviest.

Cheers & Beers

Ted
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    Tim,

:( so sorry to hear about this, RIP

When we talked in LA, you told me that Norm was a blessing for you and your family, now I see why.

We are here for you my friend, anytime!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    norm wrote:

tim

1387b068.jpg
    e6129ce6.jpg
    IMG_2664-1.jpg

Tim....sitting here in tears. I am so sorry that you lost your mom, words can not express how much so. I am happy that Norm has helped you and your parents through this. It isn't an accident that Dog=God. Hugs, love and lots of strength to you and your dad. Your moms courage was incredible, what an inspiration for all of us.

Love,
    Carol, Petey & Monty.
    oxoxox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Sorry for your loss Norm, bless her soul, great strength she had.

And Norm, bless him too, Dogs are the very best comfort. I believe part of the plan, no coincidence it is, God spelled backwards ;)
    but they do have it though, the beauty of unconditional love or is it a reflection of ours? :D
    Take care, Enjoy Bridge.
  • Tim & Norm - so sorry for your loss. I cant imagine what you are going through. Im glad you have each other to work through this. Stay strong.

-Rachel & Bugsy
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Wow,

I really am choked up... I don't know how you were able to put that in words but it really hit a chord with me... I am so sorry to hear about the loss of you Mom dude... I am amazed at how people can will themselves to outlast all the Doctors and I am glad you got the extra time with her... And it so wonderful to hear how Norm affected her life in such a positive way... I hope he is OK... I am sure he knows there is a big loss and I hope he knows what he did for her...

Ad
    GoiMTvP.gif
    norm wrote:

tim

1387b068.jpg
    e6129ce6.jpg
    IMG_2664-1.jpg

Tim, how very, very beautiful... pm sent along with love and hugs.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    norm wrote:
    so i'd like to tell y'all about my best friend norm...
    IMG_2664-1.jpg

I'm very sorry for your, and your family's loss, Tim. I'd think everyone on here would say they're grateful you have had Norm in your life and that, through his affection, you have an incredible set of memories of your mom you wouldn't have otherwise.

Condolences from Tank and I to you, your dad, Norm, and the rest of your family.

IMG_0756.jpg
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard