~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886
    HeavyHands wrote:
    About a year ago I had to have my dog Gabby put down very suddenly.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212&p=2461832&hilit=gabby#p2461832

Almost a year later I've gotten a new buddy. His name is Tank (his prior owners named him that). He came from an elderly couple that couldn't take care of him any more. They asked if I could give him a good home. It was an easy answer to give. I've had him about a month now.

Here is Tank.

IMG_0451-1.jpg

He loves to play fetch with a tennis ball and will happily brave water for it.

IMG_0373.jpg

On his first time checking out his new house he discovered the cut out door for the cat and tried to see what was on the other side...

IMG_0257.jpg

He was tethered in the couple's back yard for the duration of their ownership of him (about 4 years) so he's out of shape. I've been working with him the past month to get him back in shape. He weighed about 100lbs when I brought him to his new home. I don't know what he weighs now, but he's definitely getting in shape. No matter what, though, he'll always be a large-framed dog so when I seem him run I can always think to myself "Tank rolling thick and heavy!"

I found a dog park pretty close to home and he loves it. After about 40 minutes there he's pretty darn tired and ready to just walk around. He has also gone jogging with me. He holds up for about a mile and then is ready to rest for a while.

I'm really glad to have him. There's just something about the companionship of a dog that can put a smile on your face. :)
    looks like you got a good one :mrgreen: ! I'm sure he'll KEEP that smile on your face :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,745
    ok this dog is a better dancer than me :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9xq-TVyHI
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    You won't believe this, HH, but I recently remembered your thread from when you had to have Gabby put down. We've had some sad times with our dogs on this board but I'm glad to see you've opened your heart to a new friend! :D

Thanks. I was pretty reluctant to get another dog at first. In fact I had kind of decided that I didn't want to have to deal with that responsibility again. But then I ran across Tank. Like I said, he'd been tied up in this couple's back yard for years. When I would stop by their place he would come out of his house and bark to get my attention. When I would go over to see him he would just lean up against me. It was pretty easy to see that he didn't get much, if any, attention there.

I thought about him for the next couple of months and after a more recent visit to see him his old owners called and asked if I could take him. It was a pretty easy decision to make.

Since having him he's been a real pleasure. He does suffer from separation anxiety, though, when I have to leave and go somewhere. He gets himself all worked up and barks non stop while I'm gone. I've tried getting him as tired as I possibly can, only being gone for short periods of time, and a few other things. Luckily the barking doesn't bother the neighbors so far, but I'm hoping someone in this thread has some advice.

It's really nice to visit this thread again and see all of the pictures. :)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

WOW
    that is the best dancing dog I have ever seen
    I think I believe in reincarnation now! :lol:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Since having him he's been a real pleasure. He does suffer from separation anxiety, though, when I have to leave and go somewhere. He gets himself all worked up and barks non stop while I'm gone. I've tried getting him as tired as I possibly can, only being gone for short periods of time, and a few other things. Luckily the barking doesn't bother the neighbors so far, but I'm hoping someone in this thread has some advice.

hopefully, just the fact that you've given tank a better life than he had will cause him to get over his separation anxiety. I'm no expert, but it seems like as he gets more secure the anxiety will fade. :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    imalive wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

hopefully, just the fact that you've given tank a better life than he had will cause him to get over his separation anxiety. I'm no expert, but it seems like as he gets more secure the anxiety will fade. :D

Lucky, lucky Tank to have found you, and lucky, lucky you to have found Tank!

One thing that worked well for me when I had a single dog (the Late, Great Seamus) was leaving him with one of those hollow-bore bones with no knuckles at the ends. I'd stuff it with peanut butter and give it to him as I was heading out the door. That would keep him busy for a bit.

Also, I always leave talk radio on so they can hear some voices.

At one point we used a citronella collar which was EXCELLENT. It would spritz citronella which would interrupt the barking. He wasn't crazy about the lemon scent, but just by interrupting the barking it was like hitting a "reset" button and making him calm down. The more he'd bark, the more anxious he'd become, so it worked well.

And, the foolproof thing for us... getting a second dog so he was never alone. (And then a third.)

But you may want to start with the bone. And when you give it to him, just walk out calmly. No big fuss with kisses and saying you're sorry to be leaving him, just very calm exit, and then very calmly come home again without doing a big greeting ritual. (That's really hard to do, though!)

Good luck!!!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    pandora wrote:

WOW
    that is the best dancing dog I have ever seen
    I think I believe in reincarnation now! :lol:
    And this one's a Border! :clap::clap::clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a6NwwpRHfw
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    For you dog lovers--there's a special in PBS coming up you might be interested in...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/dogs-that-changed-the-world/introduction/1273/

Sincerely,
    The owner of 3 cats and no dogs.

**Runs from Sen**
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lucky, lucky Tank to have found you, and lucky, lucky you to have found Tank!

One thing that worked well for me when I had a single dog (the Late, Great Seamus) was leaving him with one of those hollow-bore bones with no knuckles at the ends. I'd stuff it with peanut butter and give it to him as I was heading out the door. That would keep him busy for a bit.

Also, I always leave talk radio on so they can hear some voices.

At one point we used a citronella collar which was EXCELLENT. It would spritz citronella which would interrupt the barking. He wasn't crazy about the lemon scent, but just by interrupting the barking it was like hitting a "reset" button and making him calm down. The more he'd bark, the more anxious he'd become, so it worked well.

And, the foolproof thing for us... getting a second dog so he was never alone. (And then a third.)

But you may want to start with the bone. And when you give it to him, just walk out calmly. No big fuss with kisses and saying you're sorry to be leaving him, just very calm exit, and then very calmly come home again without doing a big greeting ritual. (That's really hard to do, though!)

Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for the kind words. Those are great suggestions. Now I'll just have to find a way to get to the store to get a bone without him getting all frantic on me. :):lol:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Lizard wrote:
    For you dog lovers--

Sincerely,
    The owner of 3 cats and no dogs.

**Runs from Sen**
    Thats right. "run"! And its FUNNY cuz i missed your tiny font while I was talking to your new bff and i told him man that Lizard is a CHUMP owning cats and ZERO dogs and posting in the doggie thread!!! :lol: At least ya got SOME respect! :roll: :lol::lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    PJaddicted wrote:
    This is simply the best thread on any forum ever! How awesome is it that we all share ourselves through our beloved dogs! We are here for each other threw the good and the bad.
    Fully agreed. This thread has helped me A LOTTTTTTT being without my Surfer. I'm gladd we all keep this going in honor of him, and all the other doggies we've lost along the way that are now playing together in doggie heaven! Thanks you guys. SO much! And Carol, BIG BIG hugs! :D Your boys are lookin sharp!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Those are great suggestions. Now I'll just have to find a way to get to the store to get a bone without him getting all frantic on me. :):lol:
    I'll toss in a few more just because we went through this when we got Chops. We're only lucky that our apt had only one neighbor living or he would've been booted because he barked nonstop. The one neighbor was cool about it since she was gone during the day too, but yikes was he bad. We would sit in the hallway and just listen to him to see how long it lasted... 30-40 minutes plus of nonstop barking.

So things we tried...

1. Leaving a blanket/shirt/something with your scent in the crate (if you use one) or leave it wherever they tend to sleep. Seemed to calm him a little bit I guess just having something with our scent next to him.

2. We recorded an MP3 of us talking and played it on a loop. It was a horrifying experience just having to record talking to a dog (we just read a peanuts book real fast), but it worked I think. We just put it on when we left and turned it as soon as we got home and left it on not too loud. I didn't like it but he did. I think the TV/radio would help too - just some noise so they don't only hear the things going on outside which would get him worked up again.

3. Stuffed bones/kongs/etc as already suggested. If you freeze a kong it can take them a good 30 minutes to get everything out of it which can be enough time to get them off of the 'crap they just left me' mode they get into. This helped except that it made a huge mess when we were trying to figure out what to put in it, but you can find some cool recipes with yogurt, beef broth, peanut butter, etc. But keep in mind what you use since you're trying to get some weight off which is also very important for any large dog.

Hope that helps... it took Chops a good two months before he snapped out of it. What's weird is that its not like he went from barking 45 minutes to 30 to 20 or anything like that.He barked nonstop every time and then one day he just stopped cold turkey. It was really weird- I guess he finally knew we were coming back for him. :)
    I've been gone a while, but wanted to get back into the swing of things on here. Here's Chops sleeping after I spent a good part of the morning cleaning up four piles of vomit from overnight. I have no idea what got him sick, but it was not a fun morning... bleh.

chopscouch.jpg

You can see he feels bad for putting me and my wife through the cleanup, right? :)
    drsluggo wrote:
    I've been gone a while, but wanted to get back into the swing of things on here. Here's Chops sleeping after I spent a good part of the morning cleaning up four piles of vomit from overnight. I have no idea what got him sick, but it was not a fun morning... bleh.

chopscouch.jpg

You can see he feels bad for putting me and my wife through the cleanup, right? :)
    oh yeah....he obviously feels reeeeeeeally bad about it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    drsluggo wrote:

chopscouch.jpg

That made me laugh.

We'd forgotten what it's like to have a puppy. Brian's almost four months and we've had him three weeks and the housebreaking stuff is going okay and you get real comfortable - oh, he's figured it out, and then he'll walk into the house, sit beside you, and just pee all over the floor.
  • imalive wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

I'm really snowed at work right now so I'm barely here but I just wanted to add that your problem isn't unique and the different suggestions are really good. When we adopted our little rescue, Penny, she would bark and cry whenever we left, even though she had Django for company. We always left the radio on and tried other things, like leaving for a short time and coming right back. It seemed to take FOREVER but eventually she just stopped. She will still bark sometimes if we leave her out in the yard. But after a while (maybe 20 minutes) she seems to get bored with it and will go take a nap.

Good luck with Tank!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    It seemed to take FOREVER but eventually she just stopped. She will still bark sometimes if we leave her out in the yard. But after a while (maybe 20 minutes) she seems to get bored with it and will go take a nap.

Good luck with Tank!

Thanks! :)

I might be nuts, but it seems that just in the last two days I have come home to find him not barking. I'm not sure if he wasn't barking the entire time, or if I just happened to stand outside and listen during some coincidental time. He is still a spaz when I let him out though! Unfortunately I have to cage him still because he's been getting himself so excited that he urinates. :(

Also, I tried the bone trick today. He loved having it and walked around with it like a proud little kid!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    someone has been in the garage and got himself a new toy.

newtoy.jpg
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    someone has been in the garage and got himself a new toy.

newtoy.jpg
    That's a great picture... it makes me want to get a puppy. :)
    Tank and I went to the park this morning. Here he is taking a water break between sets of chasing a tennis ball. I took along a brush. As you can see by the evidence in the grass behind him, I'm still working on getting his coat sorted out. Unfortunately his prior owners never brushed him. That's ok though. He seems pretty happy now. :)

IMG_0645.jpg

He's really happy each morning when I go to fill up his food container. Big smiles every day are one of the first things that greet me!

IMG_0622.jpg

Here he is one afternoon as he is dozing. Nice to see a smile on his face. :)

IMG_0619.jpg
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Lil Monty is 6 months old now! He is about 24 inches tall and 65 pounds. Petey is doing great, having a blast. I'm truly enjoying every moment I have him here. It's a mixed blessing that I know how sick he is. On one hand I wish that I didn't know....I wouldn't be obsessing day and night about his disease and when I'm going to lose him and I'd be $4000 richer. But if I didn't know, I wouldn't have any chance of keeping him here with me longer. If he wasn't on meds there is a good chance he would already be in Congestive Heart Failure or gone already. Knowing....I spoil him every day and try to make every moment count. He has given me the gift of living for today, not looking back or forward...being in the here and now.

I love reading all your doggies stories, please keep them and the pictures coming. I never tire reading about dogs and their owners, such a special love they share. Where would we be with out our dogs?

DSC03380.jpg

Monty! Finally growing into those BIG ears!!!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    HeavyHands wrote:

Here he is one afternoon as he is dozing. Nice to see a smile on his face. :)

IMG_0619.jpg

Hi Tank... :)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Lil Monty is 6 months old now! He is about 24 inches tall and 65 pounds. Petey is doing great, having a blast. I'm truly enjoying every moment I have him here.

DSC03380.jpg

Monty! Finally growing into those BIG ears!!!

Glad to hear Petey is doing good!!!

Monty has grown up so much in just a few months, he looks great. :D

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• HeavyHands wrote:
    Tank and I went to the park this morning. Here he is taking a water break between sets of chasing a tennis ball. I took along a brush. As you can see by the evidence in the grass behind him, I'm still working on getting his coat sorted out. Unfortunately his prior owners never brushed him. That's ok though. He seems pretty happy now. :)

IMG_0645.jpg
    So nice to be greeted with doggie smiles! This picture makes it look like he has a heart on his nose. (Awww!)

About the brushing, yes, it is a chore. With 2 very furry dogs I know all about it! You might want to get a furminator. They are great! You can't use them to comb out tangles but they really do help with the shedding. Somebody on this board turned me on to this source:
    http://www.surpluscomputers.com/product ... furminator

Really good price and well worth having. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    HeavyHands wrote:

IMG_0619.jpg
    AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJaddicted wrote:

I love reading all your doggies stories, please keep them and the pictures coming. I never tire reading about dogs and their owners, such a special love they share. Where would we be with out our dogs?
    i can TOTALLY relate to your experience with petey. EVERY day I worry about Gracie.....at least a little. she had a great day today. she played and played and played with my little niece and nephew while I watched football. she is pretty much worn out. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yet again cj is naked. this is the 3rd collar hes lost. im starting to suspect hes selling them on the doggie blackmarket for scooby snacks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yet again cj is naked. this is the 3rd collar hes lost. im starting to suspect hes selling them on the doggie blackmarket for scooby snacks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it!!!

imalive wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

IMG_0619.jpg
    AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXACTLY!!!!!!! :D

And yay for Gracie being "trained" to let you enjoy the awesome Football Sunday today!!! :D

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    imalive wrote:
    PJaddicted wrote:

i can TOTALLY relate to your experience with petey. EVERY day I worry about Gracie.....at least a little. she had a great day today. she played and played and played with my little niece and nephew while I watched football. she is pretty much worn out. :mrgreen:

You and I are in this together. I get so angry when people complain about their healthy dogs or others dump them in shelters because they don't have the time. My dog are my family every bit as much as my kids are. We both know we only have today. ox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown