~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    imalive wrote:
    she loves it out there....just watching the world go by :mrgreen: .

IMG_3011.jpg

As always good vibes sent your way!!!

Gracie looks so happy, makes me :D

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    first, the good news....we're in a new house and a talented buddy of mine welded up a gate so that gracie cannot escape our front porch...and she would if she could :roll: ! anyway, she loves it out there....just watching the world go by :mrgreen: .

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

now...the possibly bad news :cry: . gracie developed a lump on her back paw. we went to the vet today and they were a little baffled. at first the vet said it didn't feel like a tumor but later said it might be one. so they took her in back for xrays....the xrays didn't show anything (I kinda wish they had) so they aspirated to check for mast cells (cancer). we waited.....and waited.....and waited, all the time thinking the worst. then, in walks the HEAD vet....i'm thinking "oh god, no" but she said she saw no mast cells and they're usually pretty easy to see :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: . she also said it's a good sign that this lump is not on the same leg as gracie's cancerous tumor. anyway, we still don't really know whats up. we've got her on rimadyl and we'll keep an eye on her. We could use some good vibes. I really don't think we could take another cancer diagnosis. :cry:

A scare, but great to hear that the head vet seems pretty confident it's nothing to stress over. It's good to be on the lookout though, knowing it's something she's battling.

Good vibes a plenty comin' your way from the dcfaithful residence.

Got your message by the way - no worries on meeting up another time w/ the dogs...it'd be best for Gracie to take it easy, I'm sure.

What exactly is rimadyl, or what does it do? :?:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Imalive: That sounds like a cautiously optimistic initial diagnosis... the very best of vibes heading west to you now from Boston. Love the gate, it's beautiful! And she looks lovely watching the world go by.

DC: Rimadyl is a fairly powerful pain medication. I did a lot of reading about it some years ago when I thought the Late, Great Seamus might end up on it. It's important to check liver enyzme levels because although it's quite effective, I recall reading studies about liver failure on dogs who were on it chronically.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Imalive: That sounds like a cautiously optimistic initial diagnosis... the very best of vibes heading west to you now from Boston. Love the gate, it's beautiful! And she looks lovely watching the world go by.

DC: Rimadyl is a fairly powerful pain medication. I did a lot of reading about it some years ago when I thought the Late, Great Seamus might end up on it. It's important to check liver enyzme levels because although it's quite effective, I recall reading studies about liver failure on dogs who were on it chronically.

I have seen some pets do excellent on tramadol and gabapentin instead of rimadyl. If you go with rimadyl, ask for the generic 'Vetprofen' 9carprofen) it is like 1/4 the cost of rimadyl.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:
    I have seen some pets do excellent on tramadol and gabapentin instead of rimadyl. If you go with rimadyl, ask for the generic 'Vetprofen' 9carprofen) it is like 1/4 the cost of rimadyl.
    Years ago some of my dogs took rimadyl for osteoarthritis, which shelties start to develop at about age 7. Never had any problems. Django has been on tramadol for several months now and is doing fab. He's energetic and jumping on the bed in the morning to say hi, something he had stopped doing. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886

gracie's on rimadyl and i'm on percoset (knee surgery)! :lol::lol:

our last dog, shelby, took rimadyl for probably her last five years. it worked wonders with no bad side effects. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

gracie's on rimadyl and i'm on percoset (knee surgery)! :lol::lol:

our last dog, shelby, took rimadyl for probably her last five years. it worked wonders with no bad side effects. :mrgreen:

Percoset? :shock:

....Let's hang out. :lol:;)

I hear knee surgery sucks!! I'm sure you and Gracie are enjoying your fadedness comfortably. :thumbup: :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Years ago some of my dogs took rimadyl for osteoarthritis, which shelties start to develop at about age 7. Never had any problems. Django has been on tramadol for several months now and is doing fab. He's energetic and jumping on the bed in the morning to say hi, something he had stopped doing. :thumbup:

That's so great to hear! Shelties are so much fun! :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I just have to say that Gracie looks so deliciously cuddly - like I just want to squeeze her and rub her tummy. I love those pix.
    Enkidu wrote:
    I just have to say that Gracie looks so deliciously cuddly - like I just want to squeeze her and rub her tummy. I love those pix.

It's that curly golden hair!! :lol::D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Good vibes going out to Gracie! These dogs are giving us too much grey hair!!! :shock:
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hey you human.. whats going on in there?

hello.jpg
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

hello.jpg
    Oh my god my heart just did a flip! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That is one BEAUTIFUL doggie!!!!!!!!!! Cate, i REEEEALLY appreciate you posting pics in here as often as you do. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Rob, Gracie is looking soooooooooooo snuggly and beautiful! Huge hugs for you guys! Keep The Faith!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and support.

Thankfully I have few regrets about my time with Jesse. As a friend said, he lived a fairy tail life.

GIve your doggies an extra hug today.

100_1368.jpg
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

hello.jpg
    Aw so cute!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    SENROCK wrote:

hello.jpg
    Oh my god my heart just did a flip! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That is one BEAUTIFUL doggie!!!!!!!!!! Cate, i REEEEALLY appreciate you posting pics in here as often as you do. :D
    as i remember, cate originally didn't want that dog. funny how they worm their way into your heart! :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The Boyz! Yesterday we had a big party for my sons college graduation and both boys were awesome.

DSC03336.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so norm had a play date yesterday...riley is a tennis ball obsessed lab who had no time for norm and his rough housing playing...so really it became playing fetch with riley and norm just hanging out watching :lol:

IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    The Boyz! Yesterday we had a big party for my sons college graduation and both boys were awesome.

DSC03336.jpg

ALOHA!!!! :mrgreen:
    norm wrote:
    so norm had a play date yesterday...riley is a tennis ball obsessed lab who had no time for norm and his rough housing playing...so really it became playing fetch with riley and norm just hanging out watching :lol:

IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG

Norm should come and wrestle with my two NUTS! They knocked a glass topped table over this morning! :? Never a dull moment here!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    imalive wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:

hello.jpg
    as i remember, cate originally didn't want that dog. funny how they worm their way into your heart! :D

and i still dont... not really. but its not his fault.

hes become quite the local celebrity. in the mornings and afternoons when the schoolkids appear hes the centre of attention. they call his name and pat him through the fence. when im down the shops strangers talk to me about 'my' dog. this afternoon this woman was talking to me from across the road about cj, but i couldnt even see who i was talking with cause the sunset was right in my eyeline. but it was about how evrtime she sees him he seems to have grown noticeably bigger. she asked me how old he was and i said without really knowing that he was maybe about 8 months old. everybody knows cj but they dont know hes not mine. but you know what?? dogs really are lovely. and they totally love you simply because you pay them attention and are nice to them... a scratch behind the ear. a rub of the tummy. a game of toss with a stick. even just a hello as you walk to the front door or hang out the washing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    About a year ago I had to have my dog Gabby put down very suddenly.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212&p=2461832&hilit=gabby#p2461832

Almost a year later I've gotten a new buddy. His name is Tank (his prior owners named him that). He came from an elderly couple that couldn't take care of him any more. They asked if I could give him a good home. It was an easy answer to give. I've had him about a month now.

Here is Tank.

IMG_0451-1.jpg

He loves to play fetch with a tennis ball and will happily brave water for it.

IMG_0373.jpg

On his first time checking out his new house he discovered the cut out door for the cat and tried to see what was on the other side...

IMG_0257.jpg

He was tethered in the couple's back yard for the duration of their ownership of him (about 4 years) so he's out of shape. I've been working with him the past month to get him back in shape. He weighed about 100lbs when I brought him to his new home. I don't know what he weighs now, but he's definitely getting in shape. No matter what, though, he'll always be a large-framed dog so when I seem him run I can always think to myself "Tank rolling thick and heavy!"

I found a dog park pretty close to home and he loves it. After about 40 minutes there he's pretty darn tired and ready to just walk around. He has also gone jogging with me. He holds up for about a mile and then is ready to rest for a while.

I'm really glad to have him. There's just something about the companionship of a dog that can put a smile on your face. :)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    the fierce watchdog....ever vigilant :mrgreen:

IMG_3014.jpg

she takes her toys outside for when the threat level is low. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    HeavyHands wrote:
    He was tethered in the couple's back yard for the duration of their ownership of him (about 4 years) so he's out of shape. I've been working with him the past month to get him back in shape. He weighed about 100lbs when I brought him to his new home. I don't know what he weighs now, but he's definitely getting in shape. No matter what, though, he'll always be a large-framed dog so when I seem him run I can always think to myself "Tank rolling thick and heavy!"

I found a dog park pretty close to home and he loves it. After about 40 minutes there he's pretty darn tired and ready to just walk around. He has also gone jogging with me. He holds up for about a mile and then is ready to rest for a while.

I'm really glad to have him. There's just something about the companionship of a dog that can put a smile on your face. :)
    Good for you and I bet Tank is enjoying his new life.

This is my first visit to the Doggie Thread as I don't have a dog but love 'em. We've never owned one because with both of us working we didn't think it fair. As I now work from home and aren't as busy as I used to be it's time. Typically I missed out when the post offices' dog had 9 pups and I couldn't bring myself to get around there and say "I want one"!!! They are also Border Collies, my favourite dogs. My brother and sister have had Borders and they are the most intelligent dogs I've known.

Oh well I'll have to wait a bit longer.

border-collie-dog-breed.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC03336.jpg
    you have the proudest looking dogs PJaddicted, just lovely they are. Congrats to your Son, and to his parents too!
  • HeavyHands wrote:
    About a year ago I had to have my dog Gabby put down very suddenly.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212&p=2461832&hilit=gabby#p2461832

Almost a year later I've gotten a new buddy. His name is Tank (his prior owners named him that). He came from an elderly couple that couldn't take care of him any more. They asked if I could give him a good home. It was an easy answer to give. I've had him about a month now.

Here is Tank.

IMG_0451-1.jpg

He loves to play fetch with a tennis ball and will happily brave water for it.

IMG_0373.jpg

On his first time checking out his new house he discovered the cut out door for the cat and tried to see what was on the other side...

IMG_0257.jpg

Welcome, Tank! :wave:
    So glad to see your dad has a new buddy! :thumbup:

You won't believe this, HH, but I recently remembered your thread from when you had to have Gabby put down. We've had some sad times with our dogs on this board but I'm glad to see you've opened your heart to a new friend! :D
  • nuffingman wrote:
    This is my first visit to the Doggie Thread as I don't have a dog but love 'em. We've never owned one because with both of us working we didn't think it fair. As I now work from home and aren't as busy as I used to be it's time. Typically I missed out when the post offices' dog had 9 pups and I couldn't bring myself to get around there and say "I want one"!!! They are also Border Collies, my favourite dogs. My brother and sister have had Borders and they are the most intelligent dogs I've known.

Oh well I'll have to wait a bit longer.

border-collie-dog-breed.jpg
    Welcome!
    I hope you have a new dog soon!

I love Borders. I've always had shelties but I've trained with many people who had Borders. They are amazing dogs.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    This thread is great today - I love all the pix of the Boyz and Norm and Tank, we're all so lucky to be dog people. I just took baby Brian out for his "sit" and "down" lesson. He does pretty well for a 13 week old. Of course he's exhausted now and will probably sleep for hours.
    This is simply the best thread on any forum ever! How awesome is it that we all share ourselves through our beloved dogs! We are here for each other threw the good and the bad.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown