~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    The boys! Going pretty good! Petey is being a good big brother, and Monty is a very sweet calm puppy.

DSC02743-1.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,880
    PJaddicted wrote:
    The boys! Going pretty good! Petey is being a good big brother, and Monty is a very sweet calm puppy.

DSC02743-1.jpg

Looking good!! :thumbup: I gotta say....I prefer the floppy ears. :mrgreen:

"sweet" "calm" and "puppy" could have never been used to describe Gracie (well, maybe sweet ;) ). yesterday, I found this st. bernard toy out in the garage. Gracie had a lot of fun with it.............right up until she absolutely eviscerated it last night. the entire belly was ripped open. :shock: :lol:

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC02743-1.jpg

as i said on fb, i could look at this all day! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    imalive wrote:

"sweet" "calm" and "puppy" could have never been used to describe Gracie (well, maybe sweet ;) ). yesterday, I found this st. bernard toy out in the garage. Gracie had a lot of fun with it.............right up until she absolutely eviscerated it last night. the entire belly was ripped open. :shock: :lol:

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

look at how sweet she is...st bernard gutting aside :lol::lol:
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC02743-1.jpg

ahhhhhhh, look how handsome they are, studs i tell ya.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

So an update on the Trix, just got back from the vet. Getting some blood work done "T4". The in house all looked good, her RBC was a bit low. She was also was giving some more meds for her GI tract. She has lost 11 pounds in the last couple months. Xrays look good

PEACE

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    So an update on the Trix, just got back from the vet. Getting some blood work done "T4". The in house all looked good, her RBC was a bit low. She was also was giving some more meds for her GI tract. She has lost 11 pounds in the last couple months. Xrays look good

PEACE
    losing 11 pounds doesn't sound good :cry: . is she basically just getting old?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC02743-1.jpg
    I knew they would hit it off! Lucky Monty! Every puppy should have a big brother or sister to show him the ropes.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

PEACE
    :problem: 11 lbs. sounds like a lot. Hope the Trix gal is OK.
    edited June 2010
    imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

PEACE
    losing 11 pounds doesn't sound good :cry: . is she basically just getting old?

The vet was really worried about the weight lose, but i have seen it coming in the last month. She has been eating only about a third of what she normally eats. Let me tell you, she has never missed a meal, eating everything in site. Over the last month she has just not been eating, except for her treats!!! No matter how many of those i give her she wants more, i imagine because she has slowed down on her regular food. Now get this, she has been letting me know that she is hungry, even with food in her dish, so i tried cleaning her dish, like three different times, still not eating it all. So i tried to just putting the food in another dish and same result. I decided a couple nights ago to just put it on the floor and what do you know she ate it all. I don't get it and neither does the vet. He still thinks it has to do with either her GI tract or her Thyroid. So we are getting some blood work done.

Today is her Birthday :D , she is 13 now. She will get steak for dinner and as many treats as she wants ;)
    Post edited by PJ_ROCKS on

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    IMG00026.jpg

Gravy is sad because it's pouring rain outside today, and tomorrow is supposed to be the first day of summer.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I bought some doggie nail clippers today... But i'm really scared in case i cut too short and clip the quick...
    I think this has come up in the thread before but not sure...

Anyone got advice? I've heard that i should use baking soda to stop the bleeding if i accidentally clip her too short......

I"M SO NERVOUS!!!! :? :?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

PEACE

Has your vet ruled out Addison's? They can rule it in with a simple blood chemistry test, and if she responds to steroids it's pretty much confirmed. The late, great Seamus (black Lab) lost his appetite slowly and lost a total of 12lbs before we figured it out (this was the dog who ate dead seagulls, stethoscope earpieces, dentures, a bottle of aspirin and, on one memorable occasion, a total of 20 lbs of kibble).

Slow, insidious onset with vague symptoms. Steroids were a lifesaver and he was treated successfully for the rest of his life.

Might be worth asking about.

Ps the 20 lbs of kibble episode happened when the husband left the door to the mudroom open and Seamus was never one to let an opportunity pass him by. Proved once and for all that he would eat until he puked, and then eat again ad infinitum.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    I will ask the vet about "Addison's".

She had a great birthday yesterday... :D

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    haffajappa wrote:
    I bought some doggie nail clippers today... But i'm really scared in case i cut too short and clip the quick...

Anyone got advice? I've heard that i should use baking soda to stop the bleeding if i accidentally clip her too short......

You can do it little by little if you're not comfortable clipping a big chunk off right away! I totally understand why you're nervous though. If you look under their nails, you'll see where it's just nail versus blood vessel.

With our dogs, we first played with their feet a lot to get them comfortable with that. We didn't want them moving around and trying to pull their feet back when we had the clipper on their nails!

This has some decent pictures, if it helps: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_claws.aspx
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIX!!!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    haffajappa wrote:

You can do it little by little if you're not comfortable clipping a big chunk off right away! I totally understand why you're nervous though. If you look under their nails, you'll see where it's just nail versus blood vessel.

With our dogs, we first played with their feet a lot to get them comfortable with that. We didn't want them moving around and trying to pull their feet back when we had the clipper on their nails!

This has some decent pictures, if it helps: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_claws.aspx

I have always been intimidated by claw clippers so I used a Dremmel tool with great success. You have to introduce the concept slowly, first by just getting them used to the drill being on, then sloooooowly touching them with it. I have 12 squirmy paws to deal with and it's been a safe bet for us. Sweet Pea's got incredibly hard, fast-growing claws which apparently are the norm in Treeing Walker Coonhounds. But the Dremmel does a nice job with them.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    haffajappa wrote:

I have always been intimidated by claw clippers so I used a Dremmel tool with great success. You have to introduce the concept slowly, first by just getting them used to the drill being on, then sloooooowly touching them with it. I have 12 squirmy paws to deal with and it's been a safe bet for us. Sweet Pea's got incredibly hard, fast-growing claws which apparently are the norm in Treeing Walker Coonhounds. But the Dremmel does a nice job with them.
    thanks guys!
    i tried doing sammi's nails last night but i bitched out and didn't really cut off too much, and i only did 2 paws before she was over it and walked away. her paws are uber furry though so its hard to do everything at once... maybe i'll try again today.
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Today is her Birthday :D , she is 13 now. She will get steak for dinner and as many treats as she wants ;)
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIXIE GIRL!!!!

i've been busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest....this will be my one post for the last 3 days. ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJaddicted wrote:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIX!!!

Thanks,
    She was sniffing the BBQ tonight and looking at me with those puppy dog eyes.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIXIE GIRL!!!!

i've been busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest....this will be my one post for the last 3 days. ;)

Thanks,
    stop trying to kick your own ass :lol:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

a bittersweet day at the park...it will be Gracie's last because we are moving to Salt Lake tomorrow. It was such a great park...not a dog park, per se, but not used by anything but dogs!! :lol:

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Good luck with your move, imalive! Looks like Gracie squeezed out every moment of fun at the park. :)
    that's the great thing about dogs... dogs get attached to the family, cats to the house... i hear a lot of cats don't deal with moving very well.

good luck you two with the move!
    leave no biscuit behind!
    Gracie will find a new park and make lots of new friends. :mrgreen:
    R & G GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE! I hope you both make lots of friends!

My guys play non-stop now! It is exhausting watching them! Petey seems very pleased with the puppy situation. He has the best of both worlds, he is top dog and has extra privileges like getting on the bed, going to work with me, getting his food first, etc. and....he has his own playmate! It warms your heart to see him playing with another dog, something that he has never been able to do before. The last two weeks have been overwhelming to say the least, but I can see now the right decision was made. Monty was meant to be a part of our family.

I switched Monty to 100% Raw Feeding yesterday, already I'm happier with the volume of his poop. He wasn't totally crazy about his kibble, never finishing a meal. He inhales the raw. I chop it up for him, but will soon be giving him whole pieces that take a long time to eat. He is a bit under weight right now, and I expect he will start to gain now with his new found gusto for eating.

Off to OB 1 orientation class. Yup....going to give dog training another try with my new boy. I expect Monty is going to enjoy it. He is very different then Petey.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    aNiMaL wrote:
    IMG00026.jpg

Gravy is sad because it's pouring rain outside today, and tomorrow is supposed to be the first day of summer.
    :wave: Hi Gravy
    what a cute name, love it! Hope the sun shines soon for Gravy and you!
    PJaddicted wrote:
    My guys play non-stop now! It is exhausting watching them! Petey seems very pleased with the puppy situation. He has the best of both worlds, he is top dog and has extra privileges like getting on the bed, going to work with me, getting his food first, etc. and....he has his own playmate! It warms your heart to see him playing with another dog, something that he has never been able to do before. The last two weeks have been overwhelming to say the least, but I can see now the right decision was made. Monty was meant to be a part of our family.
    Yay! I knew it would work out. :clap:

Like I said earlier, I really think puppies benefit from having a big brother or sister. They make the adjustment much faster than the older dog because they are used to having littermates to play with. But the older dog gets so much out of it too, being top dog and all. To me, the older ones start to act much younger with a puppy around.

Good luck with Monty's Obedience training! I think Obedience is one of the most enjoyable things to do with your dog.
    Today is two weeks since I picked up little Monty. I just turned around to find this scene:

DSC02774.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Today is two weeks since I picked up little Monty. I just turned around to find this scene:

DSC02774.jpg

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: