~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    haffajappa wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Gracie and I found a dead bunny at the park yesterday. I didn't really want to, but I put a poop bag on each hand and carried the rabbit to a trash can. I gotta get ahold of my emotions.....I was bummed all morning. :cry: :roll:
    I saw a bunny get hit by a car once and my mom and i were so shocked she actually stopped the car on the middle of the road and we just sat there like this :shock:
    Good thing it was late at night there wasn't much traffic out but it was really said i actually was yelling "stop!!!" in the car, but obviously that other driver couldn't hear me...

Despite the presence of three dogs (two Labs and a Coonhound at the time), we had mice in the house a couple of years ago and my husband put down sticky traps. He was at work one night and I came in and heard tiny shrieks under the sink _ an adult and a baby mouse were stuck. I was horrified. I called him and we discussed various methods of putting them out of their misery. I spent 15 minutes trying to get them unstuck but it didn't work and the little one bit me hard _ good thing I had gloves on. They seemed so distraught. I ended up driving to the emergency vet at 2 a.m. to have them euthanized. I had to fill out a "surrender" form and felt obliged to give them a $25 donation.

The following morning we had a long discussion about humane methods of mouse control and he got rid of all the sticky traps while we tried to figure out an alternative. As we were talking I heard this horrendous clattering noise and saw the hind end of the coonhound flying down the hall and going up the stairs. I found her on our bed, hunched over.

She looked up shamefaced. Her paw was firmly stuck to one of the sticky traps which had been overlooked under a table in the basement. Such a sorry girl, but we got it off without further ado. Ultimately the mice cleared out before costing us any canine injuries or further $$$!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,878
    bump.....I need some doggie pictures!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    th_Tessiesnoozing.jpg

Tessie snoozing last night while I was on The Porch. Sailor is out cold in the background, you can see his yellow legs and tail.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    th_Tessiesnoozing.jpg

Tessie snoozing last night while I was on The Porch. Sailor is out cold in the background, you can see his yellow legs and tail.
    I love the grey snout on Tessie - we've got that here with Chops.

We just dropped him off at boarding so we can go to STL. It was sad, but they had another lab mix that took to him immediately. He did try to hump her many times though, so they might have a bit of trouble on that. Hopefully he gives up soon... that's always embarrassing. I didn't raise no perv dog. :lol:
    drsluggo wrote:
    He did try to hump her many times though, so they might have a bit of trouble on that. Hopefully he gives up soon... that's always embarrassing. I didn't raise no perv dog. :lol:

:lol::lol:
    my little gracie likes to hump my leg.....it's just her way of saying "I love you dad" :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:
    He did try to hump her many times though, so they might have a bit of trouble on that. Hopefully he gives up soon... that's always embarrassing. I didn't raise no perv dog. :lol:

:lol::lol:
    my little gracie likes to hump my leg.....it's just her way of saying "I love you dad" :D
    My dog growing up did that to us...and we'd have friends over and we always called it the 'doggie dance' because we were too young to know he was trying to get it on with our legs and it just kind of stuck as the phrase for it.

But I can only imagine if those kids ever tried to explain the doggie dance to their parents when they got home. :lol:

Chops survived the first of 3 boarding stays... no worse for wear although he's zonked. I do like that part of it!
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Humping isn't always sexual, sometimes it's from them being really happy, sometimes it's them trying to exert their dominance.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    I have a magnet on the back of my car that says

'save a life
    Spay or neuter your pets'

Yesterday 2 guys in their 20s pulled next to me at a light and 1 yelled 'what the fuck's wrong with dogs fucking!?'

Well, 9-11 million unwanted animals being killed every year for one thing...

Yeah, whatever

Some places only hold animals 2 or 3 days before putting them down :(

It's illegal in my city to not have your dog fixed unless you have an exemption for breeding or whatever. It's also illegal to have a dog on a chain here.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    When I adopted my dog from the aspca they wouldn't let us officially adopt her until she was spayed. They did for us for free.

'save a life

Yesterday 2 guys in their 20s pulled next to me at a light and 1 yelled 'what the fuck's wrong with dogs fucking!?'

was there a nickleback magnet on their car? :think:

gracie was so funny at the park yesterday.....she was frisbee catching, as usual....but every time she saw one of her dog peeps, she had to go do a meet and greet. She spotted this little cocker who never gets off his/her leash :cry: (but does get a daily walk :D )...Gracie runs over, drops her frisbee about 20 feet short of the other dog....does a rollover in front of the other dog....runs back to her frisbee, picks it up and runs back to me! :mrgreen:

Photo0038.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    gracie was so funny at the park yesterday.....she was frisbee catching, as usual....but every time she saw one of her dog peeps, she had to go do a meet and greet. She spotted this little cocker who never gets off his/her leash :cry: (but does get a daily walk :D )...Gracie runs over, drops her frisbee about 20 feet short of the other dog....does a rollover in front of the other dog....runs back to her frisbee, picks it up and runs back to me! :mrgreen:

Photo0038.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    That's a 15 yard penalty for taunting right there... or since its Hockey playoffs 2 minutes in the box!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Sammi almost got her face bit off by 2 angry black labs...that were so worked up their owner could barely hold the two back... Ughhhh. I dont know is it nature or nurture? To ahve both your dogs act like that? Sammi wasn't even trying to go play with them we were literally walking in the vicinity of them and they went NUTS!

Speaking of, my mom's brother (i don't refer to him as uncle because i have no respect for the guy) has a habit of getting dogs even though he doesn't walk them or train them or take care of them and it really pisses me off. His last dog had a lump on his neck which he never took to the vet and the dog died of cancer - that was sammi's bff!!!! :( :(

He bought a Husky cross (Buck) who chews everything and clearly isn't trained or taken care of. NOW he has bought a rotti-pitt bull cross puppy so that Buck has someone to play with - yes because he won't give the dog any attention himself! :x
    I'm on the fence about nature/nurture debate but i'm a pretty big believer that some breeds - especially pit bulls - need to be raised properly and not neglected like i know my mom's brother would do. He's not capable of raising dogs at all he could barely even raise his own children (which he has partial custody of)... it just REALLY pisses me off... my mom says she isn't going to bring Sammi out there to visit anymore, she's really worried the dog will do something to Buck or Sammi...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    Sammi almost got her face bit off by 2 angry black labs...that were so worked up their owner could barely hold the two back... Ughhhh. I dont know is it nature or nurture? To ahve both your dogs act like that? Sammi wasn't even trying to go play with them we were literally walking in the vicinity of them and they went NUTS!

Speaking of, my mom's brother (i don't refer to him as uncle because i have no respect for the guy) has a habit of getting dogs even though he doesn't walk them or train them or take care of them and it really pisses me off. His last dog had a lump on his neck which he never took to the vet and the dog died of cancer - that was sammi's bff!!!! :( :(

He bought a Husky cross (Buck) who chews everything and clearly isn't trained or taken care of. NOW he has bought a rotti-pitt bull cross puppy so that Buck has someone to play with - yes because he won't give the dog any attention himself! :x
    It's a lot to do with nurture... just think of how many rottis or pitbulls you can see that are kind and calm. That's not to say I'd leave them with little kids, but they are sweet as can be. Then you see labs or other dogs that are vicious because the owners raised them that way.

And your mom's brother.... thats my sister and BIL to a T. They got married and wanted a dog right away. We did that and told them not to unless they can spend the time on it because they need SO much exercise/love/training/attention. They did it anyway. That was 3 years ago - its STILL not housetrained. So what did they do? They got a golden retriever PUPPY to tire the first one out.

Now the older dog doesnt need as much exercise but the golden does. Its a mess - we cant bring our dog there because their golden mauls him and they refuse to move their furniture so they can play without bumping into coffee table corners, rails, etc. Ugh.

Which once again goes to the nurture argument. I could go all year long about how much I hate the way they are with their dogs. We took them for a walk once when they were out of town and you wouldve thought they had never stepped on a sidewalk. Oh man... so angering.

Of course they think WE are crazy for how much time we invest in Chops, so go figure I guess. But Chops is happy which makes us happy... so I'm fine with it.
    drsluggo wrote:
    It's a lot to do with nurture... just think of how many rottis or pitbulls you can see that are kind and calm. That's not to say I'd leave them with little kids, but they are sweet as can be. Then you see labs or other dogs that are vicious because the owners raised them that way.

And your mom's brother.... thats my sister and BIL to a T. They got married and wanted a dog right away. We did that and told them not to unless they can spend the time on it because they need SO much exercise/love/training/attention. They did it anyway. That was 3 years ago - its STILL not housetrained. So what did they do? They got a golden retriever PUPPY to tire the first one out.

Now the older dog doesnt need as much exercise but the golden does. Its a mess - we cant bring our dog there because their golden mauls him and they refuse to move their furniture so they can play without bumping into coffee table corners, rails, etc. Ugh.

Which once again goes to the nurture argument. I could go all year long about how much I hate the way they are with their dogs. We took them for a walk once when they were out of town and you wouldve thought they had never stepped on a sidewalk. Oh man... so angering.

Of course they think WE are crazy for how much time we invest in Chops, so go figure I guess. But Chops is happy which makes us happy... so I'm fine with it.
    Well people don't realise negligence is a form of animal abuse. Seriously, I don't walk sammi as much as I'd like because we're all so busy but she is well trained and we're lucky she is blessed with a great, sweet, temperament. I have a friend who uses those puppy floor things so the dog could pee on them instead of training him to go outside its disgusting i was over there the other day and almost stepped on one (i'm not used to that shit lying around) ...its unbelievable! at least its a small dog so it doesnt need as much exercise and she still walks it and stuff but the peeing thing is weird......

'save a life

Well, 9-11 million unwanted animals being killed every year for one thing...

Yeah, whatever

Some places only hold animals 2 or 3 days before putting them down :(

It's illegal in my city to not have your dog fixed unless you have an exemption for breeding or whatever. It's also illegal to have a dog on a chain here.
    well they can still fuck... :roll:
    obviously those men havn't heard of vasectomies!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    haffajapa You can only nurture some dogs so much then their breeding takes over. Genetics have a lot to do with why some dogs, no matter how much training, socializing and love they get they have issues. Pit Bulls are awesome dogs, but if you get one who had parents that were bred for fighting, you could have potential problems down the road. Unfortunately if they bite another dog, there is usually very serious damage done. There are so many bad owners out there, makes me want to puke everyday. Animal abuse is everywhere. I am at my Humane Society doing my wildlife rehab work, the every day stories are unreal. My own sister keeps her two dogs outside 24/7 Spring, Summer and Fall, in MAINE! During the Winter they are allowed to sleep in the house, lucky them. They are on runs, with dog houses, so she thinks she is a good owner. Last night she was describing her five minute visit with them after she got home from work. The young Wolf hybrid is the same age as Petey, she gets to play with rocks and sticks. Those poor dogs, no toys or affection. She feeds them kibbles and bits too! Dogs are meant to be by our sides, 24/7 if you can do it. Here I am with a fatally ill dog that I treat like one of my children, and I watch so many people treat their dogs like crap.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    th_Tessiesnoozing.jpg

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just what i needed to add to my hyperness tonite!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Humping isn't always sexual, sometimes it's from them being really happy, sometimes it's them trying to exert their dominance.

sounds like some men i know. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    drsluggo wrote:
    Chops survived the first of 3 boarding stays... no worse for wear although he's zonked. I do like that part of it!

Chops has been boarded????? :cry: I'll never forget when I was forced to leave Surfer at a boarding place for 4 days. It broke my heart and for 4 days I felt empty and sadd. I will NEVER forget the look on his face when he saw me. Damn.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

How did Chops get his name? Love the name...

A sad turn to the thread with the discussions about the unfulfilled dogs. It's not exactly that they're abused, or literally neglected. But some people just don't get that it takes more than food, shelter and the occasional walk. Something about looking into those soulful eyes and making a real connection. Seems like everyone on this thread totally gets it, though!

This I write after cooking a roast beef for my three. It's their special treat for agility competitions. They get it after every run (whether successfully resulting in a qualifying run and placement, or a spectacular nonqualifying run in which everything goes so wrong that I'm cracking up laughing on the course). As we finish the final obstacle I say, "Let's go and have a party, just you and me!" and whichever dog it is leaves the ring leaping in the air with joy knowing they're about to get roast beef.

Funny thing was, as I was making the roast beef my husband wandered in and said, "Is that roast beef?" (well aware that I don't cook and I don't eat meat). "Yes," I said, "It's for Sailor, Tessie and Sweet Pea." He just sighed...

Anyway, I think about not the competition part of agility, but the incredible bond I have with my dogs just from spending so much time with them. They don't care about the ribbons or the scores, they just want to go out there and play with me. (Or, in Sweet Pea's case, she wants to go out and stand there and stare at me until time runs out and we're whistled off the course.)

So awful to think that there are unfulfilled canine souls living their life chained in a yard, or as an afterthought that gets food and water, but no real connection.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Funny thing was, as I was making the roast beef my husband wandered in and said, "Is that roast beef?" (well aware that I don't cook and I don't eat meat). "Yes," I said, "It's for Sailor, Tessie and Sweet Pea." He just sighed....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    SENROCK wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Chops has been boarded????? :cry: I'll never forget when I was forced to leave Surfer at a boarding place for 4 days. It broke my heart and for 4 days I felt empty and sadd. I will NEVER forget the look on his face when he saw me. Damn.
    Yeah... first time ever that he wasnt left with family. We found a cool place though- they run it out of a house so the dogs are never crated and have full run of the house and a big yard. So its not ideal but its better than anything else we could find. And he SEEMED to really like one of the dogs when we left, and she'll still be there tomorrow when we drop him off for the Indy show.

But yeah... he gives us the idiot treatment after the initial greeting when we pick him up. Its like "YES YES I MISSED YOU GUYS.... oh... wait... you left me... you dirty good-for-nothing parents I HATE YOU." Takes about an hour for him to come around, but then he's tired so he still seems grumpy. ;)
    How did Chops get his name? Love the name...
    I am not 100% sure on that. My wife had it when we were dating and I dont think even she knows where it came from. I think we were just talking about dog names and she mentioned it and we were like 'yep, that's the one.' A lot of people think we're saying 'socks' because his white pawtips, but I usually say 'no - like pork chops.' :lol:
    Funny thing was, as I was making the roast beef my husband wandered in and said, "Is that roast beef?" (well aware that I don't cook and I don't eat meat). "Yes," I said, "It's for Sailor, Tessie and Sweet Pea." He just sighed...
    This is outstanding - both the fact that you go through the effort to make food for your dogs you don't even eat, and that your husband sighs. That's a picture-perfect description...
    drsluggo wrote:

But yeah... he gives us the idiot treatment after the initial greeting when we pick him up. Its like "YES YES I MISSED YOU GUYS.... oh... wait... you left me... you dirty good-for-nothing parents I HATE YOU." Takes about an hour for him to come around, but then he's tired so he still seems grumpy. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: That is FUNNY!!! Im gladd he enjoyed himself! :D

PJaddicted wrote:
    haffajapa You can only nurture some dogs so much then their breeding takes over. Genetics have a lot to do with why some dogs, no matter how much training, socializing and love they get they have issues. Pit Bulls are awesome dogs, but if you get one who had parents that were bred for fighting, you could have potential problems down the road. Unfortunately if they bite another dog, there is usually very serious damage done. There are so many bad owners out there, makes me want to puke everyday. Animal abuse is everywhere. I am at my Humane Society doing my wildlife rehab work, the every day stories are unreal. My own sister keeps her two dogs outside 24/7 Spring, Summer and Fall, in MAINE! During the Winter they are allowed to sleep in the house, lucky them. They are on runs, with dog houses, so she thinks she is a good owner. Last night she was describing her five minute visit with them after she got home from work. The young Wolf hybrid is the same age as Petey, she gets to play with rocks and sticks. Those poor dogs, no toys or affection. She feeds them kibbles and bits too! Dogs are meant to be by our sides, 24/7 if you can do it. Here I am with a fatally ill dog that I treat like one of my children, and I watch so many people treat their dogs like crap.
    yeah i won't be letting sammi around that dog. thats just what she needs, her throat ripped out by a pittbull.

i know what you mean, i treat my dog like a human (my dad refers to her as my sister... "your sister wants to go outside".) so i just don't understand how you can leave your dog chained up outside or leave them out there 24/7... wtf is the point of having a dog? its like having a goldfish that sits in a bowl all day and eats when you feed it.

but anyways sammi is at my bed nudging me to get my lazy ass up and walk her :D:D
    edited May 2010
    Hi!!!

DSC02428.jpg
    Post edited by PJaddicted on
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Petey at the Cardiologists office.

35.jpg

that makes me smile :D
    :D I love him so much...you know exactly how I feel, Norm is your buddy too. I'm trying to plan FL again, my friend who is a vet just got home form having the stems cells implanted in her boy. I need to do it too, have to try everything for this beautiful boy.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    :D I love him so much...you know exactly how I feel, Norm is your buddy too. I'm trying to plan FL again, my friend who is a vet just got home form having the stems cells implanted in her boy. I need to do it too, have to try everything for this beautiful boy.

:oops: :)

last week i was at the post office and i chat a lot with the clerk and she asked my about norm and when i answered i was smiling...she said "whenever you talk about norm you always smile"...and it's true...the little guy really changed my life and no matter how bad things are he always puts a smile on my face :)

it breaks my heart that you have to go through this but petey couldn't have found a better friend than you...stay strong...hugs to you and petey :)
    Hike yesterday....trying to make every day a good one!

524292177_1850160992_0jpeg.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown