~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,875
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Update on the Trix. I was not able to get her in to the vet last week, but i did talk to the vet last night. So he wants to see her this Friday. I have some things to think about, which are not the ones to think about... Trix has been up and down, her eating has slowed down some in the last couple weeks. Then last night she eat eveything I put in her dish.

Good luck, Ron. (((((vibes))))) coming your way!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Update on the Trix. I was not able to get her in to the vet last week, but i did talk to the vet last night. So he wants to see her this Friday. I have some things to think about, which are not the ones to think about... Trix has been up and down, her eating has slowed down some in the last couple weeks. Then last night she eat eveything I put in her dish.
    I'll be thinking about you. I've been through that with older dogs several times and I understand about the watching every little thing they do and what may have changed in their daily routine. . . . :problem:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    Thanks!!!

My main concern is her quality of life, and i am sure you all know, what i am talking about.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2010
    carol - i hadn't thought about the whole 2 male doberman thing. :shock:
    i didn't realize you had your heart set on a male puppy. i personally don't quite get the love of 'must have' male dogs, in fact, we always had females up until igby. :) however, if you are absolutely set on males...yea....i might do a LOT of research, chat with other doberman owners, as i know you do, and heed their advice. that could well be a recipe for heartbreak.

hell, even our phoebe - if you remember THAt whole story - yikes! sometimes, 2 dogs just don't work out temperament-wise. phoeobe was definitely a one-dog only kinds dog, chow-lab mix......aggressive. chloe was just far too passive. total, heart-breaking, recipe for disaster that just got worse and worse. so do tread lightly there and know what you're getting into. i know you already have so much emotion going on with petey's illness, the addition of a puppy should be a JOY to you, your family and petey...not added stress. so do think long and hard about introducing another male dobie. talk with your breeder a lot before moving forward. good luck!

Thanks for this, I really need to hear the worst case situation, because it could happen.....I'm back to not getting a puppy any time soon, and letting Petey live out his life in peace and quiet. He is a one women dog, loves the family, but I am *his* person. Just the way it is suppose to be with a male Doberman. They were bred to be a *personal* protection dog,a constant companion, who even follows me to the bathroom, they have no need to live in a pack, it's bred out of their genetics. I will be the future puppies care giver for the most part, and wanting another male Doberman....a puppy deserves a better start to life then having to deal with a potential sick cranky dog, and a distracted owner. Petey deserves to be the center of attention till his last day. I have found a breeder who I will get a puppy from when the timing is right. I will continue to stay on top of what litters are coming, this way if my baby goes suddenly...I have some choices. I am back at life....and making sure Petey has a GREAT one!!!

*Also....I wouldn't get a female now because I chose not to Neuter Petey, for all the right reasons, with my vets blessing, and now with his heart....it's not recommended to put him under. Female Doberman's should not be spayed until after they are fully grown, which would be two heats...that would be really unfair to put Petey through.

Thanks everyone! ox
    Post edited by PJaddicted on
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    He is a one women dog, loves the family, but I am *his* person. Just the way it is suppose to be with a male Doberman. They were bred to be a *personal* protection dog,a constant companion, who even follows me to the bathroom, they have no need to live in a pack, it's bred out of their genetics.

this is norm...little guy follows me everywhere...i love it! :mrgreen:

PJaddicted wrote:
    Thanks for this, I really need to hear the worst case situation, because it could happen.....I'm back to not getting a puppy any time soon, and letting Petey live out his life in peace and quiet. I will be the future puppies care giver for the most part, and wanting another male Doberman....a puppy deserves a better start to life then having to deal with a potential sick cranky dog, and a distracted owner. Petey deserves to be the center of attention till his last day. I have found a breeder who I will get a puppy from when the timing is right. I will continue to stay on top of what litters are coming, this way if my baby goes suddenly...I have some choices. I am back at life....and making sure Petey has a GREAT one!!!

Thanks everyone! ox

do what's best for you and petey :D
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    carol - i hadn't thought about the whole 2 male doberman thing. :shock:
    i didn't realize you had your heart set on a male puppy. i personally don't quite get the love of 'must have' male dogs, in fact, we always had females up until igby. :) however, if you are absolutely set on males...yea....i might do a LOT of research, chat with other doberman owners, as i know you do, and heed their advice. that could well be a recipe for heartbreak.

hell, even our phoebe - if you remember THAt whole story - yikes! sometimes, 2 dogs just don't work out temperament-wise. phoeobe was definitely a one-dog only kinds dog, chow-lab mix......aggressive. chloe was just far too passive. total, heart-breaking, recipe for disaster that just got worse and worse. so do tread lightly there and know what you're getting into. i know you already have so much emotion going on with petey's illness, the addition of a puppy should be a JOY to you, your family and petey...not added stress. so do think long and hard about introducing another male dobie. talk with your breeder a lot before moving forward. good luck!

Thanks for this, I really need to hear the worst case situation, because it could happen.....I'm back to not getting a puppy any time soon, and letting Petey live out his life in peace and quiet. He is a one women dog, loves the family, but I am *his* person. Just the way it is suppose to be with a male Doberman. They were bred to be a *personal* protection dog,a constant companion, who even follows me to the bathroom, they have no need to live in a pack, it's bred out of their genetics. I will be the future puppies care giver for the most part, and wanting another male Doberman....a puppy deserves a better start to life then having to deal with a potential sick cranky dog, and a distracted owner. Petey deserves to be the center of attention till his last day. I have found a breeder who I will get a puppy from when the timing is right. I will continue to stay on top of what litters are coming, this way if my baby goes suddenly...I have some choices. I am back at life....and making sure Petey has a GREAT one!!!

Thanks everyone! ox

i'm so glad.
    as much as 2 dogs can be wonderful, the potential issues are there.....and in your specific situation, upon further reflection, i too, believe you are making the right choice. right for you, right for petey, right for your future pup. ENJOY what you have as it is so precious (and i know you do) and always remember, there is MUCH love for you here, and of course...in another pup's life, someday!

*hugs*

btw - dobies sound like weimeraners in that sense. my childhood dog, mindy, was my mom's dog...no doubt.
    oh, and as much as igby was *my* 35th birthday gift....he is sooo daddy's boy. :roll: :? :lol: however, he is a lover, and if daddy isn't around...igby follows the 'love the one you're with' motto, no sweat. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Petey sends his love and thanks you all for the good wishes!

17446_1344163490964_1437552515_1916.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    Petey sends his love and thanks you all for the good wishes!

17446_1344163490964_1437552515_1916.jpg

:mrgreen:
    :thumbup:
    right back atcha petey!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i'm so glad.
    as much as 2 dogs can be wonderful, the potential issues are there.....and in your specific situation, upon further reflection, i too, believe you are making the right choice. right for you, right for petey, right for your future pup. ENJOY what you have as it is so precious (and i know you do) and always remember, there is MUCH love for you here, and of course...in another pup's life, someday!

*hugs*

btw - dobies sound like weimeraners in that sense. my childhood dog, mindy, was my mom's dog...no doubt.
    oh, and as much as igby was *my* 35th birthday gift....he is sooo daddy's boy. :roll: :? :lol: however, he is a lover, and if daddy isn't around...igby follows the 'love the one you're with' motto, no sweat. :D

Petey loves his Daddy too...which is a GOOD THING! The last 6 weeks we have $2000 in vet bills for a illness with no cure!! Daddy said for his boy....do what ever you can to give him more time. My hubby loves Pugs and I can see us with one in retirement. Thanks for being out there M!!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
    norm wrote:

I think that I've become a one dog person too....I've almost always had multiples, and now that I'm finally at the point where I love having one....I'm faced with losing him so much sooner then I expected. I will leave it up to fate.....everything happens for a reason, even if I can't see it now. No more thought for the puppy, concentrate on the here and now and enjoy my big brown boy. Thanks T!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    i'm so glad.

*hugs*

Petey loves his Daddy too...which is a GOOD THING! The last 6 weeks we have $2000 in vet bills for a illness with no cure!! Daddy said for his boy....do what ever you can to give him more time. My hubby loves Pugs and I can see us with one in retirement. Thanks for being out there M!!

yea...it's so hard.
    as you know, we spent over 1k in january on suki....then add in the cremation fees and the fact that hubby had just stocked up on ALL her supplies right before christmas...food, litter, box liners, meds.....yea.....was sad to see that visa bill, mostly b/c she's not here. coming up on a month this weekend. thank bejeebus we have our pups! and igby is a total lover, and hubby just eats it up. all our other dogs were more my dogs than his, just happened that way...so i guess he was overdue ;) tho it's just funny since igby was a gift for ME.

and you too my friend....always here!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

PJaddicted wrote:
    norm wrote:

I think that I've become a one dog person too....I've almost always had multiples, and now that I'm finally at the point where I love having one....I'm faced with losing him so much sooner then I expected. I will leave it up to fate.....everything happens for a reason, even if I can't see it now. No more thought for the puppy, concentrate on the here and now and enjoy my big brown boy. Thanks T!

after i got norm i thought that in 7 to 8 years i'd get another dog so that the new dog could learn from norm and when norm passed i'd already have a 'broken in' dog...but i really love having one dog..we're each other's best friend and really that all i need :mrgreen:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I have had one dog in my life
    I have had 2 dogs at a time in my life
    we've had 3 dogs now for 8+ years
    for me its really great having a pack, I love the feel of all being together all shapes and sizes and each one so unique- each one loving the other and us a big family feel.
    It makes popcorn time awful fun too when the gran doggies come by
    5 doggies catchin kernels in the air,way fun, and they are all pretty good at it much better than me :D
    PJaddicted wrote:
    a constant companion, who even follows me to the bathroom

Gracie seems convinced I will escape out of some back door, if she doesn't butt her way into the bathroom! :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:

after i got norm i thought that in 7 to 8 years i'd get another dog so that the new dog could learn from norm and when norm passed i'd already have a 'broken in' dog...but i really love having one dog..we're each other's best friend and really that all i need :mrgreen:

Gracie would absolutely love a little sister, but I don't think I could handle it :crazy: :crazy: . She'd no doubt be more worn out, though. :think:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    pandora wrote:
    for me its really great having a pack, I love the feel of all being together all shapes and sizes and each one so unique- each one loving the other and us a big family feel.
    5 doggies catchin kernels in the air,way fun, and they are all pretty good at it much better than me :D

You have a breed that loves to live in packs.....Doberman's don't. They can, but it doesn't always work out, and Petey doesn't need the stress of a new puppy with his health going down hill everyday. There is no cure for DCM, it is only going to get worse, and he will need my constant care as the end gets near, not me paying attention to a new puppy or a young dog. I'm back in reality. Petey is my first priority. He must have a wonderful life. I was guarding my own heart with puppy thoughts....I don't want to face his end alone, I know the pain of loss all too well. That is selfish on my part.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PJaddicted wrote:
    pandora wrote:

You have a breed that loves to live in packs.....Doberman's don't. They can, but it doesn't always work out, and Petey doesn't need the stress of a new puppy with his health going down hill everyday. There is no cure for DCM, it is only going to get worse, and he will need my constant care as the end gets near, not me paying attention to a new puppy or a young dog. I'm back in reality. Petey is my first priority. He must have a wonderful life. I was guarding my own heart with puppy thoughts....I don't want to face his end alone, I know the pain of loss all too well. That is selfish on my part.
    Oh yes I totally agree not to add a puppy right now to Petey's life. I was just saying how great my pack life is for me. I think, back a ways, in response to someone who's Mom thought they should not add a pup.
    I do not know much about Dobbies except for one young lady that was out of control named Jazzy who ate my Christmas decorations one year. Still fond memories of her. She was quite the girl.
    Your Petey is beautiful you're a lucky lady to love him. He is in our packs prayers everyday, we are wishing for a long life for him knowing he is so loved. When I lost my Jake a year ago summer it didn't make it any easier to have Charlie and Maddie, the loss was only made easier with time passing and I still miss him so my wolf style dog.
    norm's at the vet/groomers today...it's amazing how worked up he gets when he goes there...poor guy was shaking and making noises no animal should ;):lol:
  • norm wrote:
    norm's at the vet/groomers today...it's amazing how worked up he gets when he goes there...poor guy was shaking and making noises no animal should ;):lol:

that is soooo chloe!
    she looks so sad when we leave her, like ' oooooohhhhhh noooooo! don't leave me here! are you ever coming back? OMG!'....and then when we pick her up all beautiful, the groomer always says how she shook thru the whole thing but was such a good girl - she always is - and chloe's just like 'alrighty, done....let's GOOOOOOOO and get outta here NOW!' :lol:

i love getting chloe shaved down - makes her look like a true german short-haired pointer. also makes her look so puppyish. and the biggest plus - cuts down big-time on the dog-hair tumbleweeds in my house. :D however, i allow her to keep her fur in the winter, come april tho - off it goes!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

norm wrote:

that is soooo chloe!
    she looks so sad when we leave her, like ' oooooohhhhhh noooooo! don't leave me here! are you ever coming back? OMG!'....and then when we pick her up all beautiful, the groomer always says how she shook thru the whole thing but was such a good girl - she always is - and chloe's just like 'alrighty, done....let's GOOOOOOOO and get outta here NOW!' :lol:

well i just picked him up...the vet came out and told me that he's great except...well, since he was so anxiety filled he wasn't the easiest patient :oops: as she said he had the 'wiggles' :lol: she said next time i bring him i should take him on a 10 mile walk :shock: :lol::lol:
  • Just took Cooper to the blow and dry yesterday... He gets so freaked... The poor boy was so matted they had to shave his whole belly... Been kind of reserved today... He takes his grooming quite seriously
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

that is soooo chloe!

well i just picked him up...the vet came out and told me that he's great except...well, since he was so anxiety filled he wasn't the easiest patient :oops: as she said he had the 'wiggles' :lol: she said next time i bring him i should take him on a 10 mile walk :shock: :lol::lol:

oh and i spend more $$$ getting chloe a day of beauty than on myself. chloe, after taxes, about $80. me, if i don't get a blow-dry, but with tip, $25. hahaha. granted, she is there for hours....and gets a bath....a maincure......teeth brushed......shaved.......and a little bandana. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    :lol::lol::lol:

Bubba's always scared of the vets. Always pee's herself. Ringo's all good. Think his time at the RSPCA desensitized to it all. The vets is just a day out for him. Goes around to say hello to everyone while Bubba's glued to my leg :D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    The beauty of a raw fed Doberman, short hair so little to no shedding, no body odor and white teeth! Got some good with the bad with this breed!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    norm wrote:

That is my Miss Maggs...hates the vet! shakes in the waiting area and hides behind me in the exam room. Doesn't matter if the vet has a cookie or not...wants nothing to do with him. Callie? she just loves my vet and everyone on the office....until she gets the Kennel Cough shot in her nose. Then she's a little offended until a cookie is offered. She's such a Lab. :)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!

oh and i spend more $$$ getting chloe a day of beauty than on myself. chloe, after taxes, about $80. me, if i don't get a blow-dry, but with tip, $25. hahaha. granted, she is there for hours....and gets a bath....a maincure......teeth brushed......shaved.......and a little bandana. :mrgreen:

the only "hygiene" service I will pay for is known as "expressing the anal glands" :shock:

....and, so far, Gracie hasn't needed it! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Hi everybody! :wave: I LOVVVVVE all the pictures! Rob, you cracked me UP about paying for grooming! :lol:

You guys all heard and watched that doggie rescued by the firefighter out here in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago right? Well, i forgot to mention that the doggie lives in the city where my brother is a cop. Turns out, the doggie is owned by a guy thats running for mayor of the city and used that to get votes and PUBLICITY!!! WTF!!! :evil: My bro was angry and said just for that, he's gonna have all their cars impounded and "other stuff" done to teach him a lesson! :twisted: :lol: I couldnt BELIEVE that dude is the one running for mayor. He's a PUNK!!!
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Turns out, the doggie is owned by a guy thats running for mayor of the city and used that to get votes and PUBLICITY!!! WTF!!! :evil:

"Vote for me! I can't even keep track of my dog!"

WTF, indeed. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Ready for the snowstorm:

20038_1262677218859_1587572007_631852_7977269_n.jpg

20038_1262676738847_1587572007_631851_7220624_n.jpg
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • imalive wrote:

the only "hygiene" service I will pay for is known as "expressing the anal glands" :shock:

....and, so far, Gracie hasn't needed it! :mrgreen:

hahahahaha...yea..... :shock:
    we pay for that too. igby needs it from time to time.
    hubby actually had the vet show him how to do that (toldya the man loves the dog!) but he just can't get himself to do it. :lol:

we have bathed and shaved chloe ourselves, and often...but yea. it takes a LOT of time. she HATES the bathtub, especially now b/c we have an extra-deep tub, so if we do it ourselves, only do it in the summer outside. that's cold water! and we do have a doggie shaver, but yea....did it like 5x tops, and i think we killed the shaver. :D thus why we said, eh...let's try a groomer. we used to cut her nails ourselves too, but now we just kinda let the vet or groomer do it when we go. i try to take chloe for a groom early summer and late summer, that's it....and then the cold months yea...no bath and the fur flies indoors! :mrgreen: c'est la vie.

igby is easy as pie to bathe so hubby does that in the tub. i used to wash the kitty in the kitchen sink monthly. :| hubby tries to brush ibgy's teeth from time to time, but a pug's jaw is just so crooked, it ain't easy... :? and same thing, used to clip the nails, but kinda let em go, hit em up at the vets.

the nails are the thing we are most lax about and shouldn't be.....but it is what it is. all the dogs we had growing up, we never bathed, brushed teeth or cut nails....how'd they all live? :lol: doggies today are proper prima donnas.... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    She's being a bit grumpy but decided to pose for the camera tonight:
    Sammi1.jpg?t=1265438934
    Sammi2.jpg?t=1265439034
    Sammi3.jpg?t=1265439065
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam