~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Someone just asked we WHY would I get another dog???? She really upset me. When I got Petey I thought for sure I'd have him for at least a decade....no way I could have imagined he would be so sick at only 3. Why wouldn't I get another? This women thinks I should prefer to spend more time with my hubby! I'll tell my hubby tonight that he needs to get rid of his motocross bikes and spend more time with me so I don't have to get another dog....what do you think he will say to that???

I am seriously thinking about getting a puppy this Summer, all my research says Petey has about 2 years. What do you guys think about me getting a puppy and having Petey help me raise it?
    I think that's a BRILLIANT idea! We've been a 2 (and at one point 3) dog family for more than 30 years and I can't imagine it any other way. The pack changes from time to time but part of the fun is watching the adult dogs teach the puppies "the rules" for the household. And one of the best things is watching how the older ones become so playful when they have a puppy around. It's awesome having 2 dogs. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ...and I can't imagine it any other way. The pack changes from time to time but part of the fun is watching the adult dogs teach the puppies "the rules" for the household. And one of the best things is watching how the older ones become so playful when they have a puppy around. It's awesome having 2 dogs. :thumbup:

That's exactly what it was like with our doggies. He's running around playing a lot more, he's better with other dogs.....
    Stonerlady wrote:
    Thanks a lot!

And BTW: when we got Pebblez, Lennox was already 6 years old and we hadn't have to teach her anything. She comes when you tell her, she sits down when you tell her to. The second dog is so much easier!!!But the first thing she knew was that she had to sit or lie down in her bed almost the entire first week until Lennox let her out of it ;)
    That's so funny! I know what you mean. The second dog learns a lot of stuff from the first one. And most of the time, when we get a new dog (which happens maybe every 6 or 7 years), the first one will be bossy to the new dog.

We always joke and talk to the new dog: "Someday it will be your turn and you'll rule the house. Then you'll get to boss somebody around too!" :lol:
  • We're talking a lot for our doggies. Each has his own voice and character. It's a lot of fun even though people might think we're crazy. We pretend that acutally Pebblez rules over Lennox which is clearly not true watching them. Oh and she always "says" that she's not small... ;) You still wanna have me in here?? :oops:
    Stonerlady wrote:
    We're talking a lot for our doggies. Each has his own voice and character. It's a lot of fun even though people might think we're crazy. We pretend that acutally Pebblez rules over Lennox which is clearly not true watching them. Oh and she always "says" that she's not small... ;) You still wanna have me in here?? :oops:
    You'll fit right in! :thumbup: :wave:

We talk for our dogs all the time! Just like yours, they have their own voices and things they're interested in. People who aren't doggie people might think we're all kind of strange but the doggie people will understand completely!
  • I'm really glad to hear that ;)
    Thought I was kinda strange, but you really comfort me ;)
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Someone just asked we WHY would I get another dog???? She really upset me. When I got Petey I thought for sure I'd have him for at least a decade....no way I could have imagined he would be so sick at only 3. Why wouldn't I get another? This women thinks I should prefer to spend more time with my hubby! I'll tell my hubby tonight that he needs to get rid of his motocross bikes and spend more time with me so I don't have to get another dog....what do you think he will say to that???

I am seriously thinking about getting a puppy this Summer, all my research says Petey has about 2 years. What do you guys think about me getting a puppy and having Petey help me raise it?

I think it would be nice for Petey to mentor the young pup

But

Like you said Petey will be leaving you way too soon I wonder how the new dog will adjust when he's gone..I know in our situation Chloe is very attached to Bailey and we didn't even have her as a puppy

Good Luck with whatever you choose
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    imalive wrote:
    when we go to the park, Gracie knows exactly where to find the leaky sprinkler for a drink! :mrgreen::lol:

IMG_2575.jpg

Why are Golden's sooooooo goofy ????

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • PJaddicted wrote:

Growing up, my family always had only one dog... When I mentioned the fact that my wife and I were thinking about gettng a second dog, my (sometimes overbearing mother) made a huge deal about it, and even sent me an e-mail listing all sorts of reasons why it was a bad idea. I usually blow things off she says very easily, but that e-mail pissed me off.

We ended up getting a boxer puppy this summer, and it's worked out great for all of us so far. Both of our dogs seem very happy, and the house just feels more complete with two doggies.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    imalive wrote:
    when we go to the park, Gracie knows exactly where to find the leaky sprinkler for a drink! :mrgreen::lol:

IMG_2575.jpg

Gracie is just like her owner ;):lol:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,875
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    imalive wrote:

IMG_2575.jpg

in that we both like to drink?? :wtf: ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    imalive wrote:

IMG_2575.jpg

in that we both like to drink?? :wtf: ;)

YES
    You guys will always find the watering hole :lol:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    wow, i am weighing in VERY late here but carol...i whole-heartedly agree....a puppy is a GREAT idea! i love, love, love having two dogs! i know your dog is so very lucky to really never be left home alone, but for us who both work full-time, i think it's awesome they have each other to keep company.

growing up, we were always a one dog household. when i went out on my own, i stuck with that formula. first two dogs i ever had, i had em solo. when the 2nd dog died at age 10 (probably my most beloved dog ever) we did only get one dog after her. then, we were going to take her for obedience training at the shelter we adopted her from and when we went ti sign up, we fell in LOVE with our now oldest dog, chloe. honestly, the phoebe/chloe combo was NOT a good experience (as many might remember from countless stories here) however, after phoebe, we got igby and well yea...you ALL know how much we love chloe & igby. :D

chloe and igby are GREAt together. after the phoebe/chloe learning experience :? we knew we had to get a much smaller dog so chloe could become the alpha dog in the household. she loves/tolerates her younger brother....and igby adores her! she keeps him in line, he has opened her up to be more affectionate. it's wonderful! i can't imagine only having one dog ever again.

petey and whatever pup you get will have a wonderful, loving, fun relationship together...and will also open you up to a whole new dynamic. and sure, down the line when petey does go...sure, the pup will mourn him, but just like people he/she will manage, and besides...then you can continue the cycle of life and get another pup, etc. :mrgreen: utter joy it all will be!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

my (sometimes overbearing mother) made a huge deal about it, and even sent me an e-mail listing all sorts of reasons why it was a bad idea. I usually blow things off she says very easily, but that e-mail pissed me off.

sounds like a whole new thread. Do we have an "issues" forum? ;):lol:

(if so, I can post too)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Having 3 and a pack of six some days I say the more the merrier!
    My doggies keep me company and make me very happy, never a dull moment :D
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Thank you all so much for your input! WOW what great advice! My biggest problem is I'm feeling so guilty about adding another dog to our family. Petey and I are so bonded. My hubby thinks that it is a good idea, so that is a big help emotionally. As you all know Petey is very spoiled, I'm afraid he will be really jealous, but I guess that would be something that I have control over. I think that I will crate train the puppy so that Petey could get some peace as his disease progresses. My hubby feels next Fall would be a good time to add a puppy as we still have one child in school, and he is home early. We are also going to be sticking close to home for the next couple of years...because, we are in the process of buying property and building a home! It is the perfect place for dogs to roam and for me to do my Wildlife Rehab work. I picked a breeder out, she has agreed to leave the ears and tail on a future puppy. The sire of the future litter I'm interested in, looks just like Petey! He is a Canadian Champion, and has all his health testing. The dam is pointed but not finished, nice lines and has all her health testing too. The breeder knows her lines, the future puppy would be a 3rd generation of dogs with her kennel name. Dobermans are her life. Although there are no guarantees that my future new boy will have a long healthy life ...as we all know that things happen when least expected...I think that I am very comfortable with her breeding program. She writes me long emails, she explained to me why Petey got DCM, how he was over line bred, too much of a good thing went bad. If there are no Red Males in the litter, I will take it as a sign that it isn't meant to be and will wait until she has one for me. I have two other breeders lined up that will also leave ears and tails, excellent dogs, but I don't like their looks as much, and they don't have much chance of having red pups.

Petey at work yesterday, he has settled down so much it is a total pleasure to take him anywhere.
    17446_1338513309713_1437552515_1901.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Thank you all so much for your input! WOW what great advice! My biggest problem is I'm feeling so guilty about adding another dog to our family. Petey and I are so bonded. My hubby thinks that it is a good idea, so that is a big help emotionally. As you all know Petey is very spoiled, I'm afraid he will be really jealous, but I guess that would be something that I have control over. I think that I will crate train the puppy so that Petey could get some peace as his disease progresses. My hubby feels next Fall would be a good time to add a puppy as we still have one child in school, and he is home early. We are also going to be sticking close to home for the next couple of years...because, we are in the process of buying property and building a home! It is the perfect place for dogs to roam and for me to do my Wildlife Rehab work. I picked a breeder out, she has agreed to leave the ears and tail on a future puppy. The sire of the future litter I'm interested in, looks just like Petey! He is a Canadian Champion, and has all his health testing. The dam is pointed but not finished, nice lines and has all her health testing too. The breeder knows her lines, the future puppy would be a 3rd generation of dogs with her kennel name. Dobermans are her life. Although there are no guarantees that my future new boy will have a long healthy life ...as we all know that things happen when least expected...I think that I am very comfortable with her breeding program. She writes me long emails, she explained to me why Petey got DCM, how he was over line bred, too much of a good thing went bad. If there are no Red Males in the litter, I will take it as a sign that it isn't meant to be and will wait until she has one for me. I have two other breeders lined up that will also leave ears and tails, excellent dogs, but I don't like their looks as much, and they don't have much chance of having red pups.

Petey at work yesterday, he has settled down so much it is a total pleasure to take him anywhere.
    I LOVE your sig. it's so true!!! :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    PJaddicted wrote:

I know Petey is a sweetie, but he might give me pause if I walked into your office. :o:o:lol:

Glad he and you are coping! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJaddicted wrote:

I'm so glad to know that you're feeling close to getting a puppy!

As far as Petey being jealous of the new guy, I can tell you that nearly every time we have brought a puppy into the family (I currently am owned by my 7th and 8th shelties :D ), the adult dog hasn't liked the puppy at first. The older dog is very standoffish and may snarl a little when the puppy attempts to make friends. One of the more amusing sights will be the older dog walking stiff-leggedly in a big circle around the puppy. This phase lasts at most for 2 days. Then suddenly everything is fine and they are BFFs! They will play together and the older one starts to act so much younger. The younger dog will follow everything that the older one does. I call it learning the household rules. If your dog loves to bark at the mailman, the puppy will soon do it as well. Each of our dogs seem to have thought they were pretty tough watchdogs and they teach the new kids the ropes.

We also do things with the dogs to establish a pack order and to make sure that the older dog doesn't get less attention. We feed our dogs one at a time, calling them into the room for their turn to eat. The older dog is always fed first and lavished with praise. The younger ones don't like this at first but they learn this routine very quickly (maybe a week). You can probably find other ways to treat Petey specially while you're training the puppy.

There were 2 exceptions to the "snobby" routine that my older dogs put on. They were my first sheltie that I got waaaaay back in 1971 (purchased with money I earned babysitting! :roll: ) and my own dog named Petey. Both of those dogs liked the new puppy from the start. When I first got Pete as a puppy, our dog Buffy had lived with 2 other dogs for several years and had ranked pretty low in the pack order. Buffy became very bossy when we brought Pete home. He grew to be half again as big as she was but she still ruled the house! After Buffy died, Pete was very lonely. 5 months later we got Django. Laid back Petey was so happy to have some company! When Django would climb on him and bite his ears, Pete would plop down on the floor and let Django "attack" him. On very rare occasions, Pete would snarl at Django if he got out of line but that was very seldom. The 2 of them were great buddies and ALWAYS playing together.

You've really done your homework and I hope you can get a puppy that you really want. I predict that after a while you'll be wondering why you've never had 2 dogs before. :thumbup:
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Great advice! I only worry because so many on my forum have said it isn't a good idea to keep two male dobermans. There are many who do, and they think that it will be no problem, I will train the new puppy and allow Petey to remain the boss until he leaves us. I think a puppy would help keep him in better shape too. That will help with his disease.

As for walking in our office with Petey at the door.....I have a HUGE sign that reads....KNOCK FIRST, DOG! No one comes in the office when they see him through the glass. Years ago the mailman came in very quickly and Petey came out of my office barking his head off, the mailman threw the mail up in the air and ran out the door!! It was hysterical!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Great story!!! Mailsmen are always scared... :roll: Typical.

I'd love to take Lennox and Pebblez to my office as well, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to. If anybody from my office brought there dogs (we're 5 people), we had 9 dogs in there. Might mean a lot of fun but less time for work I think :)
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    PJaddicted wrote:

He is just beautiful!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    a couple of my girls:

Miss Maggs at the top of the stairs:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1285.jpg

Miss Callie snoozin' on the couch:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1419.jpg

Chillin' on the deck last spring.....more than a month after each of their knee surgeries. Maggie's hair took forever to grow in:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1311.jpg

More chill time on the deck....
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1308.jpg
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    1387b068.jpg

5e21d071.jpg
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Great advice! I only worry because so many on my forum have said it isn't a good idea to keep two male dobermans. There are many who do, and they think that it will be no problem, I will train the new puppy and allow Petey to remain the boss until he leaves us. I think a puppy would help keep him in better shape too. That will help with his disease.

As for walking in our office with Petey at the door.....I have a HUGE sign that reads....KNOCK FIRST, DOG! No one comes in the office when they see him through the glass. Years ago the mailman came in very quickly and Petey came out of my office barking his head off, the mailman threw the mail up in the air and ran out the door!! It was hysterical!

that shot of petey at your office is priceless! and i really think petey will love to have a brother :thumbup:

i'd have done the same thing the mailman did :lol::lol:
    Whizbang wrote:
    a couple of my girls:

Miss Maggs at the top of the stairs:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1285.jpg

Miss Callie snoozin' on the couch:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1419.jpg

Chillin' on the deck last spring.....more than a month after each of their knee surgeries. Maggie's hair took forever to grow in:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1311.jpg

More chill time on the deck....
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/W ... 0_1308.jpg

top of the stairs is great! :thumbup:
    PJaddicted wrote:

:lol: Thanks for the laughter this morning....

I might have done the same thing, then again your not suppose to show fear, so i might have just stayed put.
    After almost losing an eye to a "chow" dog bite, not sure what i would have done.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

norm wrote:
    1387b068.jpg

Great picture of NORM :D

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Update on the Trix. I was not able to get her in to the vet last week, but i did talk to the vet last night. So he wants to see her this Friday. I have some things to think about, which are not the ones to think about... Trix has been up and down, her eating has slowed down some in the last couple weeks. Then last night she eat eveything I put in her dish.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• norm wrote:
    1387b068.jpg

5e21d071.jpg

awwww...i *heart* the black dog breed. :D
    i've had 3 myself, sinead...my most beloved of all, was the black dog breed. :mrgreen:
    norm is such a cutie!

carol - i hadn't thought about the whole 2 male doberman thing. :shock:
    i didn't realize you had your heart set on a male puppy. i personally don't quite get the love of 'must have' male dogs, in fact, we always had females up until igby. :) however, if you are absolutely set on males...yea....i might do a LOT of research, chat with other doberman owners, as i know you do, and heed their advice. that could well be a recipe for heartbreak.

hell, even our phoebe - if you remember THAt whole story - yikes! sometimes, 2 dogs just don't work out temperament-wise. phoeobe was definitely a one-dog only kinds dog, chow-lab mix......aggressive. chloe was just far too passive. total, heart-breaking, recipe for disaster that just got worse and worse. so do tread lightly there and know what you're getting into. i know you already have so much emotion going on with petey's illness, the addition of a puppy should be a JOY to you, your family and petey...not added stress. so do think long and hard about introducing another male dobie. talk with your breeder a lot before moving forward. good luck!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow