~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,875
    I'll try not to ramble too much... I really appreciate everyone's well wishes and especially those from that group above ^^^^^

The cancer has spread to Gracie's lymph node :cry::cry: . I was floored by the news...I wasn't expecting it and neither was my vet. So far we've gotten the bad news that Gracie needed surgery....then the bad news that the tumor was cancer....and now this bad news.

I have a friend who had raved about a canine oncologist who had treated his dog when every other vet said there was nothing to be done. This oncologist comes to town 3 days a month. He also pratices in Anchorage and Palm Springs and lectures, writes and runs cancer research studies/trials. He's got every credential in the world. So, I called up to the clinic just to see how people managed their dogs with a guy who is only here 10% of the time. They kind of filled me in and told me Dr. Macy just happened to be in through tomorrow.

Gracie is scheduled for an ultra sound of her liver and spleen on Tuesday. After that, my vet figured we would give all the information so far to an oncologist. In Vegas, there is only one "resident" canine oncologist and Dr. Macy. So I thought for awhile and said "fuck it...this guy is here now....I need to at least see him and give him what we know now." So, my wife and I took Gracie up there yesterday afternoon. We talked for over an hour. Dr. Macy is great. We're still doing an ultrasound next week but Dr. Macy is more concered with her "sublumbar nodes." He says he can tell by feel that her liver and spleen are not enlarged. We decided on a regimen of chemotherapy, Metoclopramide, Leukeran, Prednisone, Palladia (new) and Pecid AC. I asked him "when do we start the Chemo?" and he said "how about 10 minutes?" So, it happened. Gracie came out 30 minutes later, put her paws on the counter and gave kisses to all the help :mrgreen: .

Canine chemo is one (short) IV per month and the meds are daily or every other day. Gracie is still a little bundle of energy and I don't expect her to change. That's my best hope. Dr. Macy gives her a "75-80%" chance of getting rid of this shit. The Leukeran in particular must be some aggressive stuff - we need to keep it in the fridge and handle it with gloves :shock: . My feeling is, this isn't the flu...it's fucking cancer. So, I'm all for the aggressive treatment. Today's her first day on drugs so we can hope that goes well. She has certainly been a great patient so far.

I'm sure everyone has feelings about this and our decision. The internet will drive you crazy with information. I've been trying to get an answer for everyone who asks "how did she get it?" and there really is no answer. No one knows. So, I've just accepted that. I mean, I understand what's going on but not really why. Just a bad fucking break :cry: . We have a capable doctor who we (and Gracie :D ) instantly felt a connection to and we are going to do what he says. Luckily we can afford it. Some of you have said at times "don't be offended, but....." Believe me, nothing I have ever read here has been taken the wrong way by me. I know you guys care. I know you love dogs. I feel your love and so does Gracie. We're due for some good news....we're going to beat this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    holy shit rob i'm devastated...i can't imagine what you're going through right now...sounds like you found a good doctor to help gracie get through this which i guess is the one good thing in all this

hang in there my friend and if you need anything, just let me know
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    edited November 2009
    wow.

however, this...."That's my best hope. Dr. Macy gives her a "75-80%" chance of getting rid of this shit"....is quite positive, so try and focus on that. i am also glad to read you can afford it. it's horrible to think about but while reading all of 'this' that was exactly what i was thinking, wtf is it all going to cost?! it's so sad that it even has to be a consideration, and i am so glad that in your case, it isn't. tough decisions all the way round. personally, given how young gracie is, i think i too would probably opt for the same course of action as you. i hope gracie does well thru it all and wish her many, many, many years of great health ahead of her!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'll keep you and Gracie in my prayers...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    shit no- been thru this with our Brittany in 93
    I hope Gracie can beat it- Docs have come a long way
    My kids had a horrible time with Maggie-hindsight I would have handled things different
    it sounds like common sense but protect/ prepare your children you may focus on Gracie and not enough on what it is doin to your children. I'm afraid that happened to us. We all will be keeping the good thoughts going here
    for your family.
    i am also glad to read you can afford it. it's horrible to think about but while reading all of 'this' that was exactly what i was thinking, wtf is it all going to cost?! it's so sad that it even has to be a consideration, and i am so glad that in your case, it isn't.

Oh, it was/is. One thing I liked was, Dr. Macy put it right out there without us even asking. Yesterday was $700. He said $500-600 per month. Gracie at least deserves that. We are going to try to let her live; not force her to live (if that makes sense).

As I said though, right now she's the same as she ever was. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    i am also glad to read you can afford it. it's horrible to think about but while reading all of 'this' that was exactly what i was thinking, wtf is it all going to cost?! it's so sad that it even has to be a consideration, and i am so glad that in your case, it isn't.

Oh, it was/is. One thing I liked was, Dr. Macy put it right out there without us even asking. Yesterday was $700. He said $500-600 per month. Gracie at least deserves that. We are going to try to let her live; not force her to live (if that makes sense).
    As I said though, right now she's the same as she ever was. :mrgreen:

that makes total sense.....and i 100% agree.
    good luck to you all!
    *hugs!*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

pandora wrote:
    shit no- been thru this with our Brittany in 93
    I hope Gracie can beat it- Docs have come a long way
    My kids had a horrible time with Maggie-hindsight I would have handled things different
    it sounds like common sense but protect/ prepare your children you may focus on Gracie and not enough on what it is doin to your children. I'm afraid that happened to us. We all will be keeping the good thoughts going here
    for your family.
    Gracie IS our (only) child....another part of the $$$ rationalization....no car insurance, no college fund, no cell phone bills, etc. I'm already beating myself up a little...why didn't we aspirate in August? But Dr. Macy says these tumors grow amazingly (maddeningly) fast. Human breast cancer tumors can double in size in 169 days, dog tumors in 10(?) days, cat tumors in 12 hours! Thanks, Pandora.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Oh I saw the little fireman there and assumed
    I didn't know that about pet tumors- Maggie's was brain/ inner ear inoperable
    I'm glad you can give Gracie the care she needs and that you have a good Doctor
    its a sad sad situation I know- it was all encompassing for me in 93
  • I'm so sorry that Gracie is going through this, and putting all of you through it as well. The fact that you've found a vet you have trust in is an excellent sign to me and that he has laid everything out for you and given her excellent chances makes me feel very positive. Gracie is young and healthy. She has a loving family who will do what's best for her. All of this sounds like things are headed in the right direction. :clap:

I would not even take the time to wonder what caused her cancer. I think it's natural to be curious but some things are just beyond our knowing. Of the 8 dogs who have owned us over the years, there was one named Tess that we loved the best. I know I shouldn't say that; a friend used to tell me "Mothers aren't supposed to have favorites." But if you knew Tess and all the things that made her so special you'd know why. We adopted Tess when she was about a year and a half old and promptly had her spayed, which usually prevents dogs from having breast cancer. When she was 11 she developed a rare, aggressive form of breast cancer that my vet had never seen before. It spread to her lymph nodes, her lungs, and her brain and she died less than 3 weeks after we first found the lumps. I will forever wonder why it happened to Tess, the sweetest and smartest of dogs, who attracted attention everywhere we took her and charmed everyone. Even my vet said that he had cared for thousands of dogs but he had never known a dog like Tess. :cry:

Cancer sucks! :evil:

But we are all with you and Gracie and I know she's going to get through this. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Man..this year has been so brutal..poor Gracie :(

My buddy on Tuesday had to put one of his Bull Dog's down

Glad to read she has such a high rate of beating this fuckin disgusting disease !

Good Luck with everything..she will fight it and win

Bailey and Chloe wish her well

Oh do you guys have any Pet insurance on her ? We have Bailey on VPI we still need to add Chloe :shifty:

They reimburse pretty well on procedures
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Oh Damn.

Sorry to read that, R.

GOOD VIBES
    ~~~~~~>>>>>
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • pandora wrote:
    We are thinking about Gracie
    Love,
    Charlie, Maddie, Lucy, Faith and Dottie

11011436a.jpg

11011435a.jpg

i missed this post earlier.
    5 dogs?!
    pandora, you are a brave woman!
    :D

also, heelllllloooooooo...mirror as a headboard eh? ;)
    ok, i'll stop now...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

yea for soul mate sex oooooo
    pandora wrote:
    Love,

11011436a.jpg

11011435a.jpg

5 dogs?!
    2 are grandoggies Faith boxer pit and Dottie chihuahua jack russell- they come regular to hang. My daughter stayed while we were in Philly and watched them all- picture missing Bonnie the bulldog- she doesn't play as well with others

ok, i'll stop now...
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    I'll try not to ramble too much... I really appreciate everyone's well wishes and especially those from that group above ^^^^^

The cancer has spread to Gracie's lymph node :cry::cry: . I was floored by the news...I wasn't expecting it and neither was my vet. So far we've gotten the bad news that Gracie needed surgery....then the bad news that the tumor was cancer....and now this bad news.

I have a friend who had raved about a canine oncologist who had treated his dog when every other vet said there was nothing to be done. This oncologist comes to town 3 days a month. He also pratices in Anchorage and Palm Springs and lectures, writes and runs cancer research studies/trials. He's got every credential in the world. So, I called up to the clinic just to see how people managed their dogs with a guy who is only here 10% of the time. They kind of filled me in and told me Dr. Macy just happened to be in through tomorrow.

Gracie is scheduled for an ultra sound of her liver and spleen on Tuesday. After that, my vet figured we would give all the information so far to an oncologist. In Vegas, there is only one "resident" canine oncologist and Dr. Macy. So I thought for awhile and said "fuck it...this guy is here now....I need to at least see him and give him what we know now." So, my wife and I took Gracie up there yesterday afternoon. We talked for over an hour. Dr. Macy is great. We're still doing an ultrasound next week but Dr. Macy is more concered with her "sublumbar nodes." He says he can tell by feel that her liver and spleen are not enlarged. We decided on a regimen of chemotherapy, Metoclopramide, Leukeran, Prednisone, Palladia (new) and Pecid AC. I asked him "when do we start the Chemo?" and he said "how about 10 minutes?" So, it happened. Gracie came out 30 minutes later, put her paws on the counter and gave kisses to all the help :mrgreen: .

Canine chemo is one (short) IV per month and the meds are daily or every other day. Gracie is still a little bundle of energy and I don't expect her to change. That's my best hope. Dr. Macy gives her a "75-80%" chance of getting rid of this shit. The Leukeran in particular must be some aggressive stuff - we need to keep it in the fridge and handle it with gloves :shock: . My feeling is, this isn't the flu...it's fucking cancer. So, I'm all for the aggressive treatment. Today's her first day on drugs so we can hope that goes well. She has certainly been a great patient so far.

I'm sure everyone has feelings about this and our decision. The internet will drive you crazy with information. I've been trying to get an answer for everyone who asks "how did she get it?" and there really is no answer. No one knows. So, I've just accepted that. I mean, I understand what's going on but not really why. Just a bad fucking break :cry: . We have a capable doctor who we (and Gracie :D ) instantly felt a connection to and we are going to do what he says. Luckily we can afford it. Some of you have said at times "don't be offended, but....." Believe me, nothing I have ever read here has been taken the wrong way by me. I know you guys care. I know you love dogs. I feel your love and so does Gracie. We're due for some good news....we're going to beat this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, Rob. Bad news, I'm so sorry you had to bear that...but Gracie has just the right parents. A positive attitude is key, so keep it up pal. Again, the four of us here in SLC are keeping Gracie and you and your wife in our thoughts, and keeping the highest of hopes for you! Please continue to keep us posted on your beautiful dogs progress. An angel like that, and a poppa like you, I'm sure you guys will give cancer the fuckin' TKO!!

Cheers friend,
    Dave
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    pandora wrote:
    Oh I saw the little fireman there and assumed

That's my little nephew. he lost his sweet lab/golden mix to.......cancer........a few years ago :cry: .
    Gracie is young and healthy.

Right now, that's an understatement. She can pull like a horse!! :mrgreen:

Oh do you guys have any Pet insurance on her ? We have Bailey on VPI we still need to add Chloe :shifty:

They reimburse pretty well on procedures

Nope, no insurance. In 1995, we got Shelby and our good friends got her half brother Jess. They bought insurance. Jess was a great dog, but had a lot of issues. Our friends said their insurance never wanted to pay. Jess and Shelby passed away, two weeks apart, in May of 2008. With Jess, it was "always something," whereas Shelby was healthy her whole life (until she wasn't :cry: ). Anyway, we both got dogs again, again two weeks apart. Meanwhile, we just found out that this time our friends found "good" insurance. We just thought it all sucked, so didn't even consider it. But really?? The money is probably the last thing on my mind.

I'm at work but my wife says Gracie has had her first "round" of pills and is doing fine - no nausea, no vomitting, no nothing :mrgreen: . In the meantime, I have to stop reading the internet....there's some encouraging stuff but just as much that makes Mast Cell Type II tumors sound beyond bad. We're gonna do what our doctor says and administer it all with a bunch of LOVE!!! :thumbup:

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. I try not to be a post whore :shh: but it feels good to talk.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Man. Good luck to you and Gracie Rob. Sounds like your doing everything you can for her and me and the pouches will be cheering her on and hope she gets a clean bill of health.

Cheers
    Ted
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • good luck to Gracie and you.
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    :shock: Rob....HOLY CRAP! I'm here, please feel free to PM me, even for a cell phone number if you need to talk! I will send all the good vibes and wishes I have your way! oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Love,

11011436a.jpg

11011435a.jpg

5 dogs?!
    2 are grandoggies Faith boxer pit and Dottie chihuahua jack russell- they come regular to hang. My daughter stayed while we were in Philly and watched them all- picture missing Bonnie the bulldog- she doesn't play as well with others

ok, i'll stop now...
    They're all beautiful dogs!! :clap::clap: I thought I spotted a JRT in there... ;)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Thank you
    Its so fun to lay down with them all- A pow wow with the bow wows! came from Indian blanket days :D
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    :(

I will get to meet Gracie some day!!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS wrote:

There's no hurry...next year....five years from now.....ten years from now. :thumbup:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

There's no hurry...next year....five years from now.....ten years from now. :thumbup:

That made me :)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

hope!!!
    nice to see a possimist!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

hope!!!
    nice to see a possimist!
    :mrgreen:
    I'm glad to hear she's doing better :thumbup: :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

I'm glad to hear she's doing better :thumbup: :D

We don't really know how she's doing....she seems good....we have an ultrasound today to check her sublumbar lymph nodes. Good thoughts couldn't hurt!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    you got em always from everybody here!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I was about to gush about what a cutie Ceasar is. Ceasarbooboo is the boston terrier in my avatar. However, it looks like Gracie needs good thoughts. imalive, good luck to you and Gracie! I'm rooting for you!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird