~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,875
    norm wrote:

:( well hopefully it was caught early and gracie will go on to annoy you for years to come! ;):D

That would be my fondest wish......many, many more years of annoyment! :mrgreen:

and to weigh in on the Jeagler thing.....this didn't just begin during the baseball postseason, did it? I'm thinking Kasey is stressed. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

:( well hopefully it was caught early and gracie will go on to annoy you for years to come! ;):D

That would be my fondest wish......many, many more years of annoyment! :mrgreen:

and to weigh in on the Jeagler thing.....this didn't just begin during the baseball postseason, did it? I'm thinking Kasey is stressed. ;)

Yeah for real ! Im sorry to hear about Gracie she is such a sweetheart :(

Sounds encouraging that everything was caught in time :clap:

Good Luck with the testing
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Any news????
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Rasta Gravy for Halloween

P1030952.JPG
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    aNiMaL wrote:

P1030952.JPG

That just made me smile!!! awesome :)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Rob...so sorry about Gracie. Petey and I send you guys lots of love and hugs.

ox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    aNiMaL wrote:

P1030952.JPG
    She looks 'exactly' like a black lab that I had... her name was Gypsy... :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, and since I know that everyone who posts or visits this thread loves animals, and ESPECIALLY dogs, so I thought that this just had to be the place. I was browsing on photobucket earlier in the glitter section, and this picture caught my eye. It was a female dog in this small cell, she looked very scared and the place was disgusting, she had no food or water. She was surrounded in her own feces.

You will see that there are signs of abuse with these dogs. I couldn't make it through many pictures, and there are 1000 of them. I just broke down, and right after that I wrote to sent a message to photobucket and also an email to The Humane Society in Washington, I've also posted it on my facebook page. These are innocent dogs that just want nothing more than to love us, and they respond back with unconditional love.

It will break your hearts. I don't like to post negative things, but it has to start somewhere, these poor animals can't speak for themselves. Someone has to do it for them. I don't have a problem speaking up against the neglect and cruelty to animals.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and to look through some pretty horrific pictures. I have no idea where this place is, but this one of the reasons why we shouldn't get our pets at pet stores, because this is where most of them come from.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/pughbert/

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    HSB...thank you for your post and the pictures. While Puppy Mills are a huge problem, they aren't the only ones contributing to the horrific numbers of dogs living in horrible conditions and being euthanized by the millions every year. This is going to be a VERY LONG POST, but maybe it will help someone make a better decision when they go out and buy a new puppy.

Backyard breeders and Greeders are also doing their part to continue this unbelievable tragedy happening to mans best friend. I've been a MOD on the largest Doberman forum in the world, for two years now. I've learned more then you can imagine about purebred dogs and dogs in general, training, breeding, diseases, showing, dog sports, and anything else that pertains to dogs. No one should be breeding ANY purebred dogs unless they are trying to better the breed-PERIOD. AKC papers mean NOTHING. They just prove that you have a purebred dog. Should that dog be used to make more dogs....NO...not unless you prove that the dog will better the breed. How do you prove that...you show the dog in confirmation, so that a expert tells you that the dog is structurally correct. Most people can't see the minor flaws in a dog that when reproduced can get worse with each new generation. They also pass on hereditary diseases that they know nothing about, because they breed to a dog they think is nice looking, we all love our dogs and think they are good looking. BYBers rarely do all the health testing that what ever breed they are breeding should have. I'm not talking about Health check-ups I'm talking about very expensive health testing. Example for Dobermans: VwD disease, a hereditary bleeding disorder. A genetic test with a company called VetGen would need to be done, and the results registered with them so people can see the results. Hips and Elbows Certified at the age of two with one of the 2 places in the US that do that, results again are available for anyone to see. Eyes certified by another company. Yearly Thyroid test. Yearly Eco cardiogram and Holter Monitor done with a cardiologist to check hearts for a hereditary heart disease we call Cardio, which kills 70% of all male dobermans, some dying suddenly as young as two. The dogs used to breed should also be temperament tested and if their is a purpose that the bred was bred for, they should be *worked* and titled in that venue. Examples, Huskies, sled pulling competitions. Boarder Collies, herding or agility. Labs, hunting, dock diving, retrieving. Dobermans, ScHh or Personal Protection. Burmese Mt. Dogs, hiking long distances with backpacks. Then when all titled and health tested the lines can be checked for generations back and a paring can be researched to find a good match that betters the breed. BYBers use the dog down the street that is good looking and sweet. Maybe even in breeding and not even knowing that, because they can't research the lines with a crappy pedigree. Some people will say....she/he comes from Champion lines....again that means CRAP. Out of any litter coming from Champion Parents, only a couple of the puppies will be good enough to get their championship. Those puppies are sold to Show People, and the rest of the litter is sold as PETS, on limited registrations, meaning.....THEY CAN NEVER BE BRED. Good breeders will take back any puppy they breed for the life of the dog, and re-home it, not allow it to go into a shelter or on craigslist or petfinders.

My own Petey comes from a GREEDER. He started out with incredibly good dogs from Europe. They have titles on both ends and amazing pedigrees. I paid a lot of money for him, should he be bred? NO, I have not shown him to a title nor worked him. Experts had not told me that he is the best of the best. The dogs Petey's breeder brought from Russia, all had the proper health testing done, were shown and worked, in Russia, because they have strict rules. But now here in the US, with no rules, he just breeds the next generation, doing nothing with his dogs. He has a kennel, which no dog should spend it's life in, and he breeds only for the money. I didn't know better when I bought Petey. Will I ever buy from his breeder again...NO. I know better and will do better.

There is no way to breed a good purebred dog cheaply, even the pet quality ones have a lot behind them to justify the cost. Good breeders don't make a cent, most end up in the red each year.

People I know who work at shelters and do rescue, really believe that ALL BREEDING should stop for two years to get the problem under control. Take a trip to your local shelter...chances are you will agree. My own shelter right now has a Boxer, Great Dane, St. Bernard, Sharpe, two Yellow Labs, Rottie (who came in pregnant and delivered 10 puppies) a half dozen or so American Bulldogs, and a couple of mutts. The majority of the dogs....are purebreds. Something is very wrong with that.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a subject I've become very passionate about...can you tell????
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown

Thank you for taking the time to read this and to look through some pretty horrific pictures. I have no idea where this place is, but this one of the reasons why we shouldn't get our pets at pet stores, because this is where most of them come from.

I couldn't make it past the first few pages. The Akita (1st page, 4th down, far left) is more than enough to make you cry. :cry:

If I had to guess, this "kennel" is run by someone who is trying to help these dogs. You know the type - the "crazy" lady who has 100s of dogs and/or cats. My point is, I hope they're not being intentionally abused....more likely, someone is overwhelmed.

That said, I feel better about Gracie. She might have cancer; she's stuck in a cone; she's still "leaking" blood; etc...... but at least she's getting love every single day. :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Thanks for the info PJAddicted. I learned my lesson years ago. I always wanted a husky and bought one from a "greeder" not knowing any better. He was lethargic the next day and ended up having distemper!! I called the lady and she had never heard of distemper!!!! WTH! I thought that was a basic thing you hear of growing up but oh well. Bought another one from a greeder and got him fixed and had him for years.

When I am ready to get another dog I am definitely rescuing one. Can't get one now---my blind cat would freak out too much!!!

And good thoughts for Gracie~~~~>
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, and since I know that everyone who posts or visits this thread loves animals, and ESPECIALLY dogs, so I thought that this just had to be the place. I was browsing on photobucket earlier in the glitter section, and this picture caught my eye. It was a female dog in this small cell, she looked very scared and the place was disgusting, she had no food or water. She was surrounded in her own feces.

You will see that there are signs of abuse with these dogs. I couldn't make it through many pictures, and there are 1000 of them. I just broke down, and right after that I wrote to sent a message to photobucket and also an email to The Humane Society in Washington, I've also posted it on my facebook page. These are innocent dogs that just want nothing more than to love us, and they respond back with unconditional love.

It will break your hearts. I don't like to post negative things, but it has to start somewhere, these poor animals can't speak for themselves. Someone has to do it for them. I don't have a problem speaking up against the neglect and cruelty to animals.

I just want to "SCREAM" right now!!! I received an email from photobucket, and they don't think that the person(s) have violated any rules...

I would just like to thank you, PJaddicted, imalive, and Lizard for sharing your thoughts and stories.

Sad to say I'm so very well aware of all the animals that are neglected and abused by the people who should love them everyday... :cry:

Get better real soon Gracie (((((( hugs & love ))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Our doggy Charley was a greeder dog....we figure someone bought him from a pet store for a kid for Christmas one year...we think they were looking for a small dog (and he probably was a small puppy) but once he started to grow they just got rid of him. First he was at a dog pound for a little while (dropped off at 4 months) and then the SPCA took him in...only he was 7 months old when we adopted him...and nobody would clarify what happened for those 3 months....

And our little Remy was born under a porch on a First Nations Reservation near where we live. The litter was our friend's mother's dog...(she was named Buttons)...Remy's "dad" was the "big dog up the road". Anyway, our friend gave us Remy when she was 6 weeks old because there was no way she was gonna survive on the reservation, and she's been with us since (that was 10 years ago)...she actually ended up being the only puppy in her little to survive - the others either starved to death, got killed by other dogs and/or people, and also at least one was killed in an illegal dog fight... Remy's mother went on to have at least one other litter (that we know of) and all ended up at the SPCA after our friend's mother died...and we called the SPCA to adopt Buttons and at least one of the puppies, which looked just like Remy...but the SPCA never called us back!

So there you go - greeders, hoarders, and people that just don't give a shit...I don't know what's worse. Reservation dogs have such a tough life, either chained up 24/7, or left to run around become wild, having to fend for themselves...most, if not all, subjected to horrific abuse...at least, this is how it is where I live. If the people (on reservations or not) can't look after themselves or their children, how can they possibly be expected to look after an animal??

I'm just glad that our dogs are safe with us and that they have the best life possible that we can give them, like all of us on here...
    be philanthropic
  • Those pictures are heartbreaking for all of us who love dogs. :cry:
    I couldn't look at very many of them either.

I appreciate what everyone has posted about adopting dogs, especially the information from PJaddicted. There have been times when I've felt a little guilty about owning purebred dogs but there are reasons why I do and it has nothing to do with being snobby. I also try very hard to be responsible in caring for my dogs. I've gotten my last few dogs (except for one--more on that later) from breeders, and they have been responsible breeders like PJaddicted described, not backyard breeders who are trying to make a buck. I guess I should give a little background.

When I was a teenager, I used to babysit for a family that owned a sheltie and that was when I fell in love with the breed. I got my first sheltie when I was 17. Shortly before my husband and I got married, I got another one, so we had 2. The pack has changed over the years as they have gone to Dog Heaven, but we have always owned 2 or 3 shelties at a time. I always took my dogs to obedience training and in the 1980s I got interested in showing dogs in Obedience. I enjoy it enough that I belong to a dog training club. But if you're going to show, your dog has to be registered. It's ridiculous, but it's the rules. That's why I buy purebred dogs.

Buying from a good breeder is expensive. Even pet quality puppies will cost a bundle. The trade off is that you will get a healthy dog with good temperament AND you will know how to find the seller if you have any questions later. The last puppy I bought was my dog Django and I got him from a breeder I've known about 20 years. When I told her I was looking for a puppy, she said she had one that she could tell was going to be too big for the show ring. That one turned out to be Django. Here are some pictures of him with his sister Brooke:

DjangoBrooke3.jpg

DjangoBrooke4.jpg

Handsome guy, huh? Since he's too big to show in Conformation his breeder sold him to me with the agreement that I would have him neutered; also, if for some reason I couldn't take care of him anymore, I would return him to her rather than take him to a shelter. Also, just in case I didn't neuter him, his AKC registration states that none of his offspring could ever be registered. I'm sure I paid a lot more for him than I would have paid a Greeder but I didn't mind that, because I knew I was getting a good dog.

Even if I hadn't already known her, all of these things are good indications that this is a responsible person selling me the dog. But for more proof, I can just look at how she treats her own dogs. Not only does she show them in Conformation, the "beauty pageant" stuff. She trains and shows her shelties in the working activities that the breed loves so much. Django's sister Brooke has 16 titles in Herding, Rally, and Agility! How's that for brains as well as beauty?! :clap:

But I don't want to be a dog breeder and it tears me up how many dogs are abused, abandoned, and killed because people are so careless and cruel. It's so wrong. That is why I've spayed or neutered every one of my dogs. I get so upset when people try to tell me that they won't have their dog neutered because "it's cruel." Or they want to have a litter of puppies to sell for extra money. Or they get a puppy and all they do is leave it chained out in the back yard. I can't understand what people are thinking. :wtf:

I suppose that's indirectly how we got another sheltie last year, the first one that we did not get from a breeder. But this post is already very long so I'll save that one.

Gracie has been on my mind a lot. Hoping she's OK! ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    I just could not bring myself to look at those pics, sorry!!!

imalive, I hope Gracie is doing good. Thinking nothing but good thoughts!

Trix has been doing good lately, although I am thinking that the vet didn't get all that nasty stuff out of her leg the last time. Two more "bumps" have showed up and she is back to licking at it. :(

Guess i will be talking to the vet this week.

If Trix will let me, I will try to post a pic of what I am talking about.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

I hope everything goes well...

(((((( some good vibes & prayers ))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    edited November 2009
    I can't let another day go by without thanking (in no particular order) HeartShapedBox, norm, pandora, Vedderfan10, Austicman, decides2dream, Lizard, dcfaithful, PJ_ROCKS, Phantom Pain, PJaddicted, whoprincess, mrs. smiley, phillyfan and SENROCK! for their continued support of me and Gracie.

Tomorrow, we go back to the vet to get the results from the "downstream lymph node." Please, please, please be clear :thumbup: !!! Gracie has been a good little patient but her puppy exhuberance isn't helping her stitches heal. As you can see, she's not crazy about her cone....in fact, it has rubbed a spot of fur off of her snout. You can also see her nasty scar (behind her back leg) in this pic :cry: .

IMG_2458.jpg

When she's not in the cone, she needs the (calming) Gentle Leader. She don't like it either!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_2448.jpg

Thanks again to ALL you guys!! Think good thoughts!! For Trix, too!! :clap::clap:
    Post edited by Wobbie on

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    always good thoughts for Gracie and your family
    prayers from me too
  • pandora wrote:
    prayers from me too

^^^
    this.

*hugs to gracie*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    pandora wrote:
    prayers from me too

^^^
    this.

*hugs to gracie*

me too!
  • I have been thinking about Gracie and Trixie both, A LOT, and hoping for the best for both of them.

They have been making me remember one of my shelties, Buffy. When she started getting to be older she started to be a "bumpy" dog like Trixie. The vet would always check the new ones but didn't want to remove them unless absolutely necessary because of course going under anesthesia is risky for older dogs. Then she got a very big mass on her side and it was malignant so of course she had to have it removed. :(

When I took her in, the vet told me that they would have to shave her entire right side in order to do the surgery. Shelties have pretty heavy coats and Buffy's was even heavier than most. I told him that she was going to look ridiculous shaved on one side and furry on the other! So I asked if they could shave her all over.

So when I brought Buffy home, she had an 8-inch incision on her side. Pretty big for such a little dog. This is how she looked:

BuffysNewDo.jpg

This is what her incision looked like:

BuffysScar-1.jpg

The only good thing about having a shaved dog was that all my friends had been telling me that Buffy was overweight and I kept telling them, "It's not fat, it's FUR." They finally believed me! :roll: :lol:

Buffy lived for another year after this, until she developed an inoperable tumor on her pancreas. She was 13. She was a very sweet little dog who loved to play fetch with her daddy more than anything in the world.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    norm wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    prayers from me too

^^^
    this.

*hugs to gracie*

me too!
    I'll jump on this too, if that's okay. Plenty of good vibes till Rob. I've been sharing the story/pictures with my girlfriend who also was melted at the sight of Gracie. Jen, Myself, and our two pups are continually sending love your way! High hopes for when the news comes... :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Good vibes to GRACIE and TRIX!!!

I remember ages and ages ago ( ;) ) our family's lab had to have an old-fashioned cone after he had eye surgery and neighbors thought we were being cruel to him!! Yeah--you're smart.

And Who Princess--your doggies are soooooooo cute!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    I just could not bring myself to look at those pics, sorry!!!

imalive, I hope Gracie is doing good. Thinking nothing but good thoughts!

Trix has been doing good lately, although I am thinking that the vet didn't get all that nasty stuff out of her leg the last time. Two more "bumps" have showed up and she is back to licking at it. :(

Guess i will be talking to the vet this week.

If Trix will let me, I will try to post a pic of what I am talking about.

So sorry I didn't post this earlier. Same vibes for Gracie go out for Trix...hate to hear of all these poor dogs being under the weather. Get better ya'll, there are plenty more balls for you to fetch!! :D:D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • imalive wrote:
    I can't let another day go by without thanking (in no particular order) HeartShapedBox, norm, pandora, Vedderfan10, Austicman, decides2dream, Lizard, dcfaithful, PJ_ROCKS, Phantom Pain, PJaddicted, whoprincess, mrs. smiley and SENROCK! for their continued support of me and Gracie.

Tomorrow, we go back to the vet to get the results from the "downstream lymph node." Please, please, please be clear :thumbup: !!! Gracie has been a good little patient but her puppy exhuberance isn't helping her stitches heal. As you can see, she's not crazy about her cone....in fact, it has rubbed a spot of fur off of her snout. You can also see her nasty scar (behind her back leg) in this pic :cry: .

IMG_2458.jpg

When she's not in the cone, she needs the (calming) Gentle Leader. She don't like it either!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_2448.jpg

Thanks again to ALL you guys!! Think good thoughts!! For Trix, too!! :clap::clap:

Awwww what a cutie !

No Problem..good luck with everything !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169

I looked through the pictures and it looks like this is simply an animal shelter...most likely a county animal shelter. Ive been to many and sadly this is the way they are, some better than others. I have always and will always adopt my dogs because I can not turn my back on this. Im guessing this person maybe worked at one and took photos for petfinder or their website and saves them because it is simply impossible to keep all these dogs at once. It's such a shame. Ive tried volunteering at animal shelters but unfortunately I just get too attached, but there are ways to help. There are some pretty horrific shelters out there, specifically in Kentucky, Ohio (where they auction dogs), North Carolina, and Virginia. Luckily, people are trying to stop the killing of innocent animals. There's a transportation site where they move dogs from state to state with the help of volunteers to no-kill shelters or foster homes. When I find it, I'llpost it in case anyone's interested.
    Rob...still out here thinking about you and Gracie. Hoping and praying for good news. ((((Rob))))
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • ^^^Same here. Checking in to say I hope we get good news about Gracie today. :wave:
    Any news about Gracie?
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We are thinking about Gracie
    Love,
    Charlie, Maddie, Lucy, Faith and Dottie

11011436a.jpg

11011435a.jpg