B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    worst signing of the summer :

how do you justify Brashears $1.6 million contract ?
    How can you justify that much money when Vinny Prospal gets $1.1 million.

Very poor signing.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    worst signing of the summer :

how do you justify Brashears $1.6 million contract ?
    How can you justify that much money when Vinny Prospal gets $1.1 million.

Very poor signing.

while it is alot of money, i do like brashear on the team. mainly because, when was the last time the rangers had a player in the locker room that can intimiate his own teammates? messier was the last guy maybe?
    platessmall.jpg
    The New Team

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

whoa !

this is a whole lot of new names and numbers.!!!
    its so drastic !

Forwards
    # Player Height Weight DOB Age Birthplace

75 Andres Ambuhl 5' 10" 190 Sep 14, 1983 25 Davos, CHE
    42 Artem Anisimov 6' 4" 194 May 24, 1988 21 Yaroslavl, RUS
    39 Tyler Arnason 5' 11" 204 Mar 16, 1979 30 Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    16 Sean Avery 5' 10" 195 Apr 10, 1980 29 North York, ON, CAN
    22 Brian Boyle 6' 7" 252 Dec 18, 1984 24 Hingham, MA, USA
    87 Donald Brashear 6' 3" 234 Jan 7, 1972 37 Bedford, IN, USA
    36 Dane Byers 6' 3" 195 Feb 21, 1986 23 Nipawin, SK, CAN
    24 Ryan Callahan 5' 11" 188 Mar 21, 1985 24 Rochester, NY, USA
    79 Devin Didiomete 5' 11" 200 May 9, 1988 21 Stratford, ON, CAN
    23 Chris Drury "C" 5' 10" 190 Aug 20, 1976 33 Trumbull, CT, USA
    17 Brandon Dubinsky 6' 1" 205 Apr 29, 1986 23 Anchorage, AK, USA
    41 Brodie Dupont 6' 2" 210 Feb 17, 1987 22 Russell, MB, CAN
    10 Marian Gaborik 6' 1" 199 Feb 14, 1982 27 Trencin, SVK
    21 Christopher Higgins 6' 0" 203 Jun 2, 1983 26 Smithtown, NY, USA
    12 Ales Kotalik 6' 1" 227 Dec 23, 1978 30 Jindr Hradec, CZE
    81 Enver Lisin 6' 1" 190 Apr 22, 1986 23 Moscow, RUS
    73 Corey Locke 5' 9" 169 May 8, 1984 25 Toronto, ON, CAN
    50 Jordan Owens 6' 0" 166 May 1, 1986 23 Niagara Falls, ON, CAN
    38 Pierre Parenteau 5' 11" 195 Mar 24, 1983 26 Hull, QC, CAN
    20 Vinny Prospal 6' 2" 198 Feb 17, 1975 34 Ceske Budejovice, CZE
    19 Patrick Rissmiller 6' 4" 215 Oct 26, 1978 30 Belmont, MA, USA
    34 Aaron Voros 6' 4" 215 Jul 2, 1981 28 Vancouver, BC, CAN

Defensemen

97 Matt Gilroy 6' 2" 205 Jul 20, 1984 25 North Bellmore, NY, USA
    5 Dan Girardi 6' 2" 210 Apr 29, 1984 25 Welland, ON, CAN
    49 Ilkka Heikkinen 6' 2" 200 Nov 13, 1984 24 Rauma, FIN
    44 Corey Potter 6' 3" 200 Jan 5, 1984 25 Lansing, MI, USA
    6 Wade Redden 6' 2" 212 Jun 12, 1977 32 Lloydminster, SK, CAN
    33 Michal Rozsival 6' 2" 205 Sep 3, 1978 31 Vlasim, CZE
    54 Bobby Sanguinetti 6' 3" 190 Feb 29, 1988 21 Trenton, NJ, USA
    32 Mike Sauer 6' 3" 220 Aug 7, 1987 22 St. Cloud, MN, USA
    18 Marc Staal 6' 4" 209 Jan 13, 1987 22 Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    62 Nigel Williams 6' 4" 226 Apr 18, 1988 21 Aurora, IL, USA

Goalies

30 Henrik Lundqvist 6' 1" 195 Mar 2, 1982 27 Are, SWE
    40 Stephen Valiquette 6' 6" 210 Aug 20, 1977 32 Etobicoke, ON, CAN
    71 Miika Wiikman 6' 0" 180 Oct 17, 1984 24 Mariestad, SWE
    31 Matt Zaba 6' 1" 185 Jul 14, 1983 26 Yorkton, SK, CAN
    platessmall.jpg
    it will be an interesting year. i am very close to scoring tickets for opening night. hope that comes through.

sept. 15, preseason starts against the devs.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    42 Artem Anisimov 6' 4" 194 May 24, 1988 21 Yaroslavl, RUS

this guy looked really good in the World Juniors
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    the ( shoots ) lefties heavily outweigh the righties

i hope those lefties can cover that opposite side of the ice, thats for sure.

torts gonna whip these boys into shape at camp ( starting sept 12 th )
    platessmall.jpg
    it still makes me chuckle thinking of any given pregame warmup skate
    and the NYRs opposing team looking across the other side &
    seeing Sean Avery & Donald Brashear waiting to go against them ,....
    platessmall.jpg
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Brashear yes, but I dont think any player is intimidated by Sean Avery, he is a joke
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Brashear yes, but I dont think any player is intimidated by Sean Avery, he is a joke

say what you will about his skill or skating or finesse , ect,..
    but 1 thing about avery is that he will throw even the most stoic player off their game
    ( ask marty brodeur )
    platessmall.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

say what you will about his skill or skating or finesse , ect,..
    but 1 thing about avery is that he will throw even the most stoic player off their game
    ( ask marty brodeur )
    marty's the biggest crybaby in the world. course avery is gonna throw marty off his game. had he done this to any other goalie avery woulda been dropped
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Bathgate66 wrote:

yea 2 players who each barely play 20 min a night sure are gonna intimate me, :lol::lol:.

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?page=Pl ... ge&tab=gbg

never played one game more than 15 min last season. least he's got a high pim. that's a player i want on my team

Kotalik in a NY State Of Mind
    Kotalik_A_0908_Ins1.jpg
    Kotalik in a New York State of Mind Veteran winger thrilled to be playing on a bigger stageSep 8, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT By Jim Cerny, newyorkrangers.com

After spending the first six years of his NHL career in passionate, but small, hockey markets like Buffalo and Edmonton, Ales Kotalik signed a contract this past summer with the Rangers that will afford him the opportunity to play in one of the world’s biggest cities in front of the intense Garden Faithful.

Ales Kotalik saw at least one familiar face in Rangers captain Chris Drury when he entered the MSG Training Center to prepare for training camp last month.
    And he is more than ready for this next phase of both his life and career to begin.

“Now I’m going to experience life from the other side, playing in a big city and a big, big sports market,” said the 30 year-old Kotalik after taking part in an informal workout with his teammates late last week. “It’s a good life experience to be on the other side, and I am looking forward to it.”

Not that playing, and living, in smaller cities was a bad experience for Kotalik. He thrived on the ice, recording 20 or more goals in four of his six NHL seasons, while also becoming deeply embedded in the communities where he played.

“Those cities were smaller hockey markets, but they had honest, hard-working people, and I was treated very well by the people in both cities,” said Kotalik, who spent more than five years with the Sabres before being traded to Edmonton last March. “Buffalo became my second home, and I will have friends there till the end of my life. But it was time for a change, and I have always been a fan of New York City and respected the history of the Rangers, so I was happy to sign here.”

The addition of Kotalik -- along with Marian Gaborik and Christopher Higgins -- this past summer will bring a storng offensive punch to the Rangers lineup this season. Solidly built at 6-feet-1-inches tall and 227 pounds, Kotalik is a powerful skater who possesses a wicked slap shot.

Last year Kotalik notched 20 goals while splitting the season with the Sabres and Oilers. Nearly half of those goals – nine -- were scored on the power play, an area that the Rangers have worked hard to upgrade for the 2009-10 campaign.

His best NHL season came in 2005-06, when Kotalik skated on a line centered by current Rangers captain Chris Drury. Kotalik recorded a career-high 25 goals and 62 points that season, and helped Buffalo reach the Eastern Conference Finals by netting three game-winning goals during the post-season.

Before Kotalik signed a free agent contract with any team this summer, he turned to his good friend Drury to find out more about New York and the Rangers.

“We had friendly conversations because we had become very good friends in Buffalo, and he told me all about the city and the organization and that just made my decision to come over here a lot easier,” said Kotalik.

Like Drury, Kotalik was a member of the Sabres team that outlasted the Rangers in an exciting Eastern Conference Semi Finals series in the spring of 2007. His memories of that series remain vivid, even as he has now crossed over to the team he helped vanquish in six epic games that spring.

“It was one of the best playoff series I have ever been in,” said Kotalik. “It was electrifying. I remember that it could have gone the other way, but Chris (Drury) tied the game in the final seconds and then we won Game 5 in overtime, and that really turned it for us. Playing in the playoffs in New York made it all the more special and exciting for me as a hockey player.”

Certainly the Rangers are hoping that Kotalik will be part of the group that helps lead the Blueshirts deep into the playoffs next spring, and for many years after that. One of the ways he can help the club reach the playoffs during the regular season is to continue his tremendous success in shootouts.

Kotalik was successful on eight of his 13 shootout attempts last season -- and delivered five game-deciding goals along the way. In fact, since the shootout was adopted in the National Hockey League, Kotalik is tied with Slava Kozlov for the most game-deciding goals with 11.

With the start of training camp only days away, Kotalik is becoming more and more excited for his new beginning as a Ranger. And he is also looking forward to playing for his new head coach John Tortorella.

“I heard a lot of good things about him, and at the same time he is a demanding coach,” Kotalik said of Tortorella. “I’ve been in this kind of system before, with Lindy Ruff as my coach in Buffalo, so I don’t think it’s going to be anything too different for me.”

Whether it’s different for Kotalik or not, the talented Czech winger is ready for his new life experience to begin.

“Being with the Rangers, there is nothing that compares to that in the hockey world,” he said. “I am excited to be a part of it.”
    platessmall.jpg
    metsfan wrote:
    marty's the biggest crybaby in the world. course avery is gonna throw marty off his game. had he done this to any other goalie avery woulda been dropped

you say that because Double Penatration was "man" enough to give him a bitch slap with his blocker a couple of seasons ago when avery came crashing into the crease?

ahh, speaking of DP. can't wait to see the guy open up his own insurance firm when his meaningless NHL career comes to an end a few years.
    ahh, speaking of DP. can't wait to see the guy open up his own insurance firm when his meaningless NHL career comes to an end a few years.

Is DP done with ?
    I know in the World Hockey Classic or international play ,
    he served as a USA Goaltender.

Maybe he'll open up his insurance store out on Hempstead Tpke- near the Masoleum ( Garden East ) .
    How appropriate would that be ?
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Is DP done with ?

Maybe he'll open up his insurance store out on Hempstead Tpke- near the Masoleum ( Garden East ) .

the guy is damaged goods. picking up biron and roloston, two guys capable of carrying a starting goalie workload, the organization (to me at least) must know DP is on his last limb and will never be 100% healthy.

we saw it with richter. two major knee surgeries over 2 and a half seasons (on BOTH knees), then concussion problems (similar to DP). forced the man to walk away from the game.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Is DP done with ?

the guy is damaged goods. picking up biron and roloston, two guys capable of carrying a starting goalie workload, the organization (to me at least) must know DP is on his last limb and will never be 100% healthy.

we saw it with richter. two major knee surgeries over 2 and a half seasons (on BOTH knees), then concussion problems (similar to DP). forced the man to walk away from the game.

that 15 million dollar contract is the killer.
    how many years remain on that bad boyy ?

hey we'll be missing a NYR vs Isles game
    whilst down in Philly during that PJ / 4 show stint in Philly.
    platessmall.jpg
    ill still be in town that wednesday, so ill be watching. im only going to the 10/30 show... missing the wild vs nyr. meh.
    Dubi on hold

Brandon Dubinsky is fewer than 24 hours away from missing the first day of John Tortorella's first training camp as head coach of the Rangers.

This would probably not be the ideal way to go about auditioning for the role as Marian Gaborik's center.

Dubinsky, a 23-year-old Group II free agent pivot, remains unsigned following face-to-face discussions yesterday between general manager Glen Sather, assistant GM Cam Hope and Dubinsky's representative, Kurt Overhardt, who flew to New York on Wednesday from his home base in Colorado.

Camp opens tomorrow with a 7 a.m. meeting, which will be followed by a number of rigorous conditioning exercises, including a three-mile run for which most of the athletes have been preparing for nearly a month. It is inconceivable that the Rangers would invite Dubinsky to camp without a signed contract and allow him to practice with the team when he theoretically could receive an offer sheet at any moment.

The contract situation is the same as it has been for weeks. The Rangers have their one-year qualifying offer of $522,500 on the table to Dubinsky that represents nearly an 18-percent cut in pay from last year, when he earned $635,000, including Entry Level bonuses.

The Blueshirts also have offered various multi-year deals, but they all fall substantially short of what Dubinsky would be able to command next summer coming off a productive season. A 55-60 point year -- hardly a stretch to expect as Gaborik's linemate -- would almost certainly bump Dubinsky to $3M per in arbitration.

Unless a team loses a center to long-term injury early in camp, an offer sheet is unlikely to emerge at this late date. The Maple Leafs have both a need and affection for Dubinsky, but the chances of Toronto GM Brian Burke blindsiding his good friend Sather are more remote than Dubinsky's home state of Alaska.

The question essentially is whether Sather will relent on the one-year pay cut and offer Dubinsky the same $1M (or thereabout) the team will pay Patrick Rissmiller to likely play a second consecutive season in Hartford.

If not, Dubinsky will have to decide how wise it would be to be marked absent on Tortorella's first day.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

that 15 million dollar contract is the killer.
    how many years remain on that bad boyy ?

hey we'll be missing a NYR vs Isles game
    whilst down in Philly during that PJ / 4 show stint in Philly.
    12 years left on it. god what a bust he was. not surprising, considering he was a milbury player.

On Dubinsky, Training Camp
    Training camp began this morning with one unfortunate omission: Brandon Dubinsky.

Dubinsky, a RFA, has been negotiating all summer with Rangers management and has not been able to find common ground on a new contract. While he was listed on the training camp roster, he has chosen to holdout and could miss considerable time with the preseason upon us and the first game this coming week.

While we blog today from homebase (laying out the first issue of the 2009 - 10 season), we expect to be at the practice facility tomorrow with any further updates.

One notable addition is Dan LaCouture, the former Ranger is on the ice on a tryout basis. Camp invitee defenseman Kyle McLaren was injured and will miss the camp.
    platessmall.jpg
    OK

so its preseason

but,
    tonight
    we still get our eyeballs on this new version of
    our 2009 - 2010
    New York Rangers

Funny , there are few familiar names :

Lundqvist , Callahan , Drury, Girardi , Avery Staal , & Voros.

Thats about it . ! :shock:

I'm especially eager to see ( of course like everyone else ) Gaborik

but i'm also ready to check out Prospal , and heard about so long finally able to see Anisimov & PA Parenteau(sp?) , Ray Borques son Ryan , ( He's a forward tho - no defense )

and look at those ages - Brashear being the oldest so far at 37 ! ?
    whens the last time NYR didnt have a 40 something in the lineup ?
    ( LOL- JK )

our team, doesnt really jump out on paper -

lets hope for a good season !

- _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ -
    platessmall.jpg
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Here are my thoughts, from a Flyers fan waiting for Thursday's NHL Network game, running during the game. The third period was an exception to almost everything I wrote, as most of my notes were from the two periods before the beer kicked in. :D The third was excellent, Tortorella hockey.

Gilroy – keeps players to the outside, stick, positioning and body. Skates the puck well – “lugs” is a poor word choice, very fluid, a la Niedermayer. Smart about when to jump in.

Boyle – ugh. Two penalties. Nervous. Lazy in his own zone. Looked best covering the D/point. Is it time to finally stick him there – he moved back and forth in college, and played big minutes at both in the BC championship game. Stop jerking the guy around (LA Kings) and give him a role. MUCH better in the third.

Valiquette – excellent. Makes the save, not much extraneous movement. Zaba was fine as well.

Del Zotto – at home on the PP

No breakout in 1st/2nd

Not a game for the vets. Little ice time for Drury/Higgins/Kotalik. Quiet line, but they may be in last year’s mid-season form too. ;) Third period, on the goal: Higgins where he does best, strong down in the dirty areas. Drury stepped it up too.

Grachev – good with the puck, puck protection, uses size well in those situations. Poor decision-making skills re: what to do with the puck otherwise. Used his teammates better in the third and went to the net.
    pretext wrote:
    Here are my thoughts, from a Flyers fan waiting for Thursday's NHL Network game, running during the game. The third period was an exception to almost everything I wrote, as most of my notes were from the two periods before the beer kicked in. :D The third was excellent, Tortorella hockey.

Gilroy – keeps players to the outside, stick, positioning and body. Skates the puck well – “lugs” is a poor word choice, very fluid, a la Niedermayer. Smart about when to jump in.

Boyle – ugh. Two penalties. Nervous. Lazy in his own zone. Looked best covering the D/point. Is it time to finally stick him there – he moved back and forth in college, and played big minutes at both in the BC championship game. Stop jerking the guy around (LA Kings) and give him a role. MUCH better in the third.

Valiquette – excellent. Makes the save, not much extraneous movement. Zaba was fine as well.

Del Zotto – at home on the PP

No breakout in 1st/2nd

Not a game for the vets. Little ice time for Drury/Higgins/Kotalik. Quiet line, but they may be in last year’s mid-season form too. ;) Third period, on the goal: Higgins where he does best, strong down in the dirty areas. Drury stepped it up too.

Grachev – good with the puck, puck protection, uses size well in those situations. Poor decision-making skills re: what to do with the puck otherwise. Used his teammates better in the third and went to the net.

nice synapsis- especially from a Broadstreet Bullies fan . !

I found it interesting you didnt comment on our ex- Flyer himself, Brashear- It looked so surreal seeing him sporting that Ranngers sweater .

Hopefully we can bounce back toonight- with Henrik - against Jacques' Lemaire' and The Devils .
    platessmall.jpg
    another 2-1 loss.

this team may shock us, or they may make us crzay.

PA Parenteau looked good, as well as Kotalik, i was pleasntly surpriswd.

Also, that kid Del Zotto looked good.

Voros getting in a scrum kinda
    looked like a desperate attempt at cracking Tortorelllas early roster.
    platessmall.jpg
    man that goal by Gilroy(25) was sweet.
    nice skating and hand work on that one.

Del Zotto(19) made a great impression also,
    enough to keep him on the roster after the first set of cuts

along with the other forwards who stood out
    ( * There are still 20 forwards remaining in training camp, including the five who are continuing camp with Hartford * )
    and are fighting to stay after the first set of cuts :
    Boyle(24) ( this guy is HUGE ! ) &
    Grachev (19).

tonight another preseason matchup , this time w/ another original 6er , the powerhouse redwings.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

( * There are still 20 forwards remaining in training camp, including the five who are continuing camp with Hartford * )
    Grachev (19).

tonight another preseason matchup , this time w/ another original 6er , the powerhouse redwings.
    i love all the jersey numbers in this post :lol::lol:

i can't wait to be at msg in novermeber for

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Gomez had a nice goal last night, hope that happens in regular season :P
    metsfan wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Grachev (19).

i love all the jersey numbers in this post :lol::lol:

i can't wait to be at msg in novermeber for

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

those arent jersey numbers its their ages ( in the parenthesis )

and as far as the boss- those are hott tickets , especially since theres only 2 shows and they recently announced the hiatus .
    platessmall.jpg
    Rygar wrote:
    Gomez had a nice goal last night, hope that happens in regular season :P

you guys gobbled up quite a few NY Rangers

i think Mara also ?