B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    As Rodent pointed out, if (and we should ) resign Ryan Callahan, then we need Left wingers, we are filled up on righties...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    As Rodent pointed out, if (and we should ) resign Ryan Callahan, then we need Left wingers, we are filled up on righties...

we will, there was too much hype about him in the playoffs and towards the end of the year...they would be STUPID if they didn't
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    From todays Slapshots :

Finally, that ought to be some fun reunion in Montreal between Scott Gomez and newly hired assistant coach Perry Pearn, don't you think?
    platessmall.jpg
    Gaborik worst UFA 2009 signing ?

Gaborik Worst 2009 UFA Signing

John Grigg at The Hockey News explores the worst 2009 UFA signings and says the Rangers signing Marian Gaborik is at the top of the list...

1. Marian Gaborik, LW, New York Rangers – five years, $37.5 million
    After managing to move one onerous contract out of town (Scott Gomez), GM Glen Sather simply took on another. Gaborik will count for $7.5 million towards the cap (tied for seventh in the league), more than any other player signed this summer. Unfortunately for Rangers fans, you can expect him to not put up numbers worthy of such a cap hit. Gaborik will be a point-per-game player, but expect that to mean 60 points or so on average. He’s electric on the ice, but can’t stay healthy. Even more discouraging, Gaborik demonstrated a me-first attitude while working to get back to the battling-for-the-playoffs Wild when he admitted to not watching Minnesota games and worrying only about his return. A health risk and a seemingly selfish player; not a good mix.

...this is without a doubt a high risk, high reward signing for the Rangers, but my gut says that it's going to work out for them
    platessmall.jpg
    Cally re- signs , avoids arbitration, Korpi gone to the desert.

Lauri Korpikoski, a RFA, will join Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes, and Al Montoya as former Rangers to join GM Don Maloney in Phoenix.

The Rangers acquired winger Enver Lisin in return, also a RFA, who split time between Phoenix and their AHL-affiliate San Antonio last season.

In 48 NHL games last year, Lisin scored 13 goals along with eight assists.

While Korpikoski seemed to be playing his best hockey under new Head Coach John Tortorella, this move may have been precipitated by salary cap as he was most likely to command a little less than $2 million per year.

Lisin will be worth slightly more than $1 million.

The Russian winger is not without a bit of baggage (pardon the pun.)

After being drafted early in the second round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Lisin would spend two seasons in Russia before joining the NHL in 2006.

Bouncing around a bit from the AHL and NHL, Lisin was eventually suspended by the 'Yotes for failing to report to the AHL during a demotion. That summer he would sign with a Russian team, but eventually reported to camp that fall.

While he may compete for a spot on the NHL roster, this move may hint a bit more at the future of Nik Zherdev and perhaps leaves a glimmer of hope for Dany Heatley who is apparently itching to join the Blueshirts.
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    big save by keeping cally.

any rumors about zubov making a return to broadway?
    any rumors about zubov making a return to broadway?

i have read about these rumours.
    As much as I loved Sergei from that 1994 squad, i question if this might be same old same old, as far as monie$ and older aged veterans returning to broadway .

also read from the bulletin :

this move ( Korpikowski out ) may hint a bit more at the future of Nik Zherdev and perhaps leaves a glimmer of hope for Dany Heatley who is apparently itching to join the Blueshirts.
    platessmall.jpg
    RFA Corey Potter was signed today. The defenseman will compete for a top-six spot with the big club this season. Here's the official release:
    New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenseman Corey Potter.

Potter, 25, made his NHL debut last season with the Rangers on December 7 against Calgary. He recorded his first NHL point with an assist in his next game on December 27 vs. New Jersey, and finished with two points (one goal and one assist) in five games.

Potter spent most of the season with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL), registering 10 goals and 22 assists for 32 points, along with 82 penalty minutes in 67 games. He established a career-high in goals and tied his career-high in points. He led all Hartford defensemen in goals, and ranked second among team defensemen in assists and points. Potter recorded nine multi-point efforts during the season, including his first career multi-goal game on February 13 against Lake Erie.

In addition, Potter finished tied for second on the Wolf Pack in postseason scoring with four points, and ranked second on the club with three assists in six playoff contests with Hartford.

The 6-3, 200-pounder has skated in 177 career AHL games with Hartford, registering 17 goals and 57 assists for 74 points, along with 205 penalty minutes. He established career-highs in games played (80), assists (27), points (32), plus/minus rating (plus-33), and penalty minutes (102) during the 2007-08 season. Potter led the team and ranked second in the league in plus/minus rating. He also ranked third among team defensemen in points and assists, and tied for third in goals.

In 2006-07, Potter made his AHL debut with Hartford on February 7 at Providence, and collected an assist in the contest. He began the season with the Charlotte Checkers of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL), recording six goals and 13 assists for 19 points, along with 56 penalty minutes in 43 games. Potter led all team defensemen in goals and points at the time of his recall to Hartford on February 5. He notched his first professional point with an assist on October 26 at Florida.

Potter has also skated in 18 career AHL postseason contests with Hartford, recording two goals and eight assists for 10 points, along with 49 penalty minutes. He collected two assists in his professional playoff debut during the 2007 Calder Cup Playoffs on April 18 against Providence.

The Lansing, Michigan native was originally the Rangers’ third round selection, 122nd overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
    platessmall.jpg
    Youth Movement is ON
    As usual, it appears as if the Rangers will begin training camp with essentially every spot on the depth chart filled by free-agent and trade acquisitions. But head coach John Tortorella cautions that appearances might be deceiving.

"I appreciate that [GM] Glen Sather has done whatever he could to improve the team through free agency and trades, but I don't think we can ever lose sight of how important it is to have young kids on the team who have come through the organization's system," Tortorella told The Post yesterday by phone from an off-season outpost.

"I don't want to put a number on it, but I can tell you that it's my objective to come out of training camp with a handful of young guys who were not here last year. The candidates for jobs will identify themselves by the way they show up for camp and play at camp, but I promise that these kids are going to get every opportunity to make our team."

Change is the off-season byword for the Rangers. Again. For after last summer's radical reconstruction that featured the exits of Jaromir Jagr, Brendan Shanahan, Martin Straka (and Sean Avery, for that matter), this summer has featured another extreme makeover in which nine players on the 21-man playoff roster already have left the organization, with a 10th, Nikolai Zherdev, on his way out.

"I like Scott Gomez and I think he's going to have a great year in Montreal after not having such a great couple of years here, but we needed to move Gomer's contract in order to get some flexibility with our cap situation," Tortorella said. "I could have worked with Scott, it wasn't personal, but trading him opened doors for us, and it opened the door where we could sign [Marian] Gaborik.
    You need game-breakers to win in this league. That's what Gaborik is. He's a dynamic player who we're going to lean on in every situation, five-on-five, power play, penalty killing. The only way we could afford him under the cap was to trade Scott, so that's how that call was made."

The Rangers needed to trade Gomez, at $7.357M per for the next five years in order to accommodate Gaborik at $7.5M for the next half-decade, but in doing so the club created a first-line vacancy in the middle and the question of whether the Blueshirts have a center on the roster capable of complementing their elite, game-breaking right wing.

"As an organization, we are currently exploring options to add a top-flight center, but I don't know that it's imperative for us to do that before we get a chance to see what we have in camp," Tortorella said. "If we go into camp with this roster, [Brandon] Dubinsky is definitely going to get the opportunity to play that spot.

"I'm not sure whether he can handle it, but I want to see him there. I'm also looking forward to seeing what [Artem] Anisimov can do, though it's probably too much to ask of a [21-year-old] rookie to play in that role. But I'm not ruling it out, either.

"That first-line center spot is wide open. It's a critical position on our team. Maybe we can fill it from within and maybe we won't be able to. We'll see, but either way, we will fill it."

Tommorrow: Tortorella on the power play
    platessmall.jpg
  • ill tell you what...Dubinsky better get signed
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    NEW YORK -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have another night to celebrate their Stanley Cup title when they raise the championship banner to the Mellon Arena roof on Oct. 2 to kick off next season.

The NHL announced its 2009-10 regular-season schedule on Wednesday with the Penguins' celebration and the Winter Classic at Fenway Park highlighting the slate.

Pittsburgh, in its final season in Mellon Arena, will welcome the New York Rangers in its home opener. The following day all 30 teams will be in action, marking the first of two days when every NHL club will hit the ice.

The now traditional New Year's Day Winter Classic will feature the Boston Bruins hosting the Philadelphia Flyers outside at the home of baseball's Red Sox.

Every team will be off from Feb. 14-March 1 for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The Olympics will force the Canucks on an NHL-record, 14-game road trip.
    when do our original 6 blueshirts get a shot at the winter classic?

wtf ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,237
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    when do our original 6 blueshirts get a shot at the winter classic?

wtf ?

possibly next year. (2010-11). They probably want to have the new stadiums broken in for a bit before doing something else other than baseball.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • There was rumors it was supposed to be this year actually. There's other rumors that next year it will be at Yankee stadium vs the Blackhawks...which would be sick. Other rumors are against the Isles, but that wouldn't happen unless somehow the Isles got good this year because ratings would suck...although we would love every second of it.
    There was rumors it was supposed to be this year actually. There's other rumors that next year it will be at Yankee stadium vs the Blackhawks...which would be sick. Other rumors are against the Isles, but that wouldn't happen unless somehow the Isles got good this year because ratings would suck...although we would love every second of it.

the isles make the most sense, but don't think that game would bring in the most ratings (who cares about the isles around the league?). give tavares a year with them and see how the NHL wants to market him. if he has a strong rookie year, i wouldn't be suprised to see rangers/isles at yankee stadium in 2011.

the NHL messed up big time by having the bruins play the flyers. why wouldn't they want to showcase the caps and OV to the casual/non hockey fans that will be tuning in?
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172009/sp ... 179764.htm

Chris Nilan, a former winger who played for the Rangers, Canadiens and the Bruins known for his frequent trips to the penalty box, was arrested on a charge of stealing a bathing suit from the Lord & Taylor store in Quincy, Mass. "I just wanted to save a few bucks," he told police.

they ( or perhaps its just me ) would love an orignal 6 matchup with this,
    all of the canadian teams or northern US teams all have crazy rabid fans .
    platessmall.jpg
    Shanny , again ?

wtf ?
    http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/ ... tbulletin/
    has come by way of Philadelphia and New Jersey as multiple reports are stating that Brendan Shanahan has an open opportunity to re-join the Rangers after a one-year hiatus back to New Jersey.

Apparently, former Head Coach Tom Renney was the major factor in Shanahan not returning last season and with his exit, GM Glen Sather has reached out to Shanahan in hopes of luring the veteran winger back.

Shanahan, having never wanted to leave, is reportedly still contemplating staying in New Jersey, but has not ruled out a return to Broadway.

He may serve a positive purpose both in the locker room and on the power play. One of the bugaboos of last season was the lack of emotion that was seen in the Rangers dressing room. Lacking the presence of the departed Shanahan and Jaromir Jagr, at times the group seemed lax and disinterested. Shanahan would help Captain Chris Drury in remedying that.

Last season he signed for $800,000 and would likely command near the same this season. In two seasons with the Rangers, he tallied 52 goals and 56 assists for 108 points.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

the isles make the most sense, but don't think that game would bring in the most ratings (who cares about the isles around the league?). give tavares a year with them and see how the NHL wants to market him. if he has a strong rookie year, i wouldn't be suprised to see rangers/isles at yankee stadium in 2011.

the NHL messed up big time by having the bruins play the flyers. why wouldn't they want to showcase the caps and OV to the casual/non hockey fans that will be tuning in?
    i guess the nhl doesn't care bout the isles or else they wouldn't have scheduled the isles home opener against the defending stanley cup champs. everyone around the league loves what garth snow is doing. they all have high praise for him. give em a year and they will be good. hell they might even contend for the 6-8th playoff spot. tavares will shine if you put good players around him who will feed him the puck and show him the ropes of the league. hunter and weight would be good linemates for him.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Sullivan_M_0715_ins1.jpg

NYR 1987 draftpick,
    former Boston coach,
    and former Torts affiliate/assitant in Tampa joins The New York Rangers .
    platessmall.jpg
    Settle It Like Men ,.....

Torts advice on Brashear
    donald_brashear.jpg
    IF JOE Lieberman can continue to sit in the Senate Democratic Caucus in the wake of the 2008 presidential campaign, then Donald Brashear can be welcomed in the Rangers locker room a few months after nearly beheading Blair Betts in Game 6 of the playoffs.

At least that's the opinion of head coach John Tortorella, who didn't use that analogy, but told The Post last week that Brashear's attributes as an enforcer and teammate should trump issues from the past.

"I don't agree at all with what happened with Blair Betts. We all know that was wrong," Tortorella said of the blind-side hit to the head from the then-Washington winger that concussed the now former Rangers center and broke his orbital bone. "But . . . but . . . you also have to understand the situation that we're in now where we're looking to make changes on the hockey club and believe that Donald has a unique presence that will help us.

"I don't condone anyone trying to hurt another player. I don't know that's what happened with Bettsy, but if I ever think that Donald is trying to injure someone while he plays for the Rangers, that will be addressed.

"Things happen in hockey. We have to block out what happened to Blair Betts. The organization has to block it out," Tortorella said. "If any of our guys have an issue with Donald, then settle it like men, because they are going to be teammates and they are going to have to respect each other."

Brashear received a five-game suspension for the blow that knocked the Blueshirts' best penalty killer out of the series. He got one more game for an incident in Game 6 warmups in which he attempted to goad Colton Orr into a fight. Brashear never got back into the Caps' lineup for the final two games of the Washington-Pittsburgh series.

Still, Tortorella envisions the 37-year-old Brashear playing an important role on Broadway for a team that was far too easy to play against last year.

"I think Donald is a good enough skater that we'll be able to move him up and down our lineup depending on game situations," the head coach said. "He's an intimidating force with good enough hockey sense, who knows how to play on the defensive side of the puck.

"He's going to bring a certain demeanor to our team that we need a lot more of. We were too non-descript last year. I don't want a team that's non-descript. I want a team that has personality.

Again, though, if there are players who have a problem with Donald because of Bettsy or anything else that's happened in the past, I expect the issue to be dealt with and settled. I don't care how, I don't care where, but get it done so that when we come out of the locker room, we do it as a team."

platessmall.jpg
  • Betts is gone? I thought he was an unrestricted free agent?

Zherdev needs to leave....Dubi needs to be signed and Betts is a must for the penalty kill.

I hope Sjostrom comes back, he was playing hard for Torts and he was making plays happen.
    Betts is gone? I thought he was an unrestricted free agent?

Zherdev needs to leave....Dubi needs to be signed and Betts is a must for the penalty kill.

I hope Sjostrom comes back, he was playing hard for Torts and he was making plays happen.

Sjostrom signed with the Flames.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024

i am most upset about sjostrom & betts (if he goes elsewhere). two guys who skate their ass off every night, who always go unnoticed.

interesting NYR team coming up for the new season.

it's pretty sad when lundqvist is your longest tenure blueshirt. why can't we keep players and BUILD?

i am most upset about sjostrom & betts (if he goes elsewhere). two guys who skate their ass off every night, who always go unnoticed.

interesting NYR team coming up for the new season.

it's pretty sad when lundqvist is your longest tenure blueshirt. why can't we keep players and BUILD?

I guess that's the price of changing coaches, Betts and Sjostrom seemed more like Tom Renney type of players than Tortorella players.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Happy 83rd Birthday New York Rangers !

192627_Team_480.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    Lisin- Speedy Russian is newest NY Ranger addition
    ( for Korpikowski )
    http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?servic ... eid=451050

Lisin agrees to terms on Rangers contract Speedy Russian was obtained in trade earlier this month New York Rangers Jul 21, 2009, 1:27 PM EDT New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Enver Lisin.

Enver Lisin, a former second-round pick who has already shown his ability to score at MSG, will be at training camp to pursue a spot in the opening-night lineup

Lisin, 23, was acquired by the Rangers from the Phoenix Coyotes, in exchange for Lauri Korpikoski on Monday. He skated in 48 games with Phoenix last season, registering 13 goals and eight assists for 21 points, along with 24 penalty minutes.

Lisin established career-highs in games played, goals, assists, points, penalty minutes, game-winning goals (two), and shots (105). He tied for second on the team in even strength goals (12), tied for third in goals scored at home (eight), and tied for fifth in total goals. He posted four multi-point performances, including a career-high, three-point effort on March 30 against Dallas (two goals and one assist). In addition, Lisin recorded six points (two goals and four assists) in 10 games with the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season.

The 6-2, 200 pounder has skated in 78 career regular season games in three seasons for the Phoenix Coyotes, registering 18 goals and 10 assists for 28 points, along with 46 penalty minutes. Lisin made his NHL debut on October 14, 2006 at Nashville, and recorded his first career point with an assist in his next game on October 17, 2006 at St. Louis.

Lisin has also appeared in 70 career AHL contests with San Antonio, collecting 20 goals and 23 assists for 43 points, along with 36 penalty minutes. In 2007-08, Lisin established AHL career-highs in games played (58), goals (16), assists (19), and points (26). He also posted a career-best, seven-game scoring streak from November 27 vs. Milwaukee to December 14 against Quad City, registering eight points (three goals and five assists) over the span.

In addition, Lisin skated in 116 career contests with Kazan Ak-Bars of the Russian Super League (RSL), recording 21 goals and 11 assists for 32 points, along with 48 penalty minutes.

The Moscow, Russia native was originally Phoenix's second round choice, 50th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
    platessmall.jpg
    Not a good forecast from the hockey news and I don't think he's necessarily wrong:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2 ... anger.html
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "After that, the Rangers are thinner than a model trying to make it in Manhattan." - hilarious and sadly true.

"We all know about Drury’s clutch reputation, but he’s failed to score so much as 60 points over his first two years on Broadway while commanding a mind-numbing average salary of just more than $7 million a year." - i am sick of hearing clutch in the same sentence as drury.

this year will be no exception from the previous years. the rangers will land the 6th or 7th spot in the conference and struggle to find identity in the playoffs.
    true that about drury--

evenso maybe we should wait and see them out on the ice before we write them off already.

we'll see what happens- its a long schedule .

Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    true that about drury--

evenso maybe we should wait and see them out on the ice before we write them off already.

we'll see what happens- its a long schedule .

Lets Go Rangers

Of course we should, that's why those articles are written in the dead of July. It's a slow news day in terms of hockey.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024