B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    ever?

Give us the same time horizon even in a 30 team league and we will see :)

Anyways it has been fun talking hockey with you Ranger fans and I will leave your thread to you. Thought you guys might be interested in this story about Slats that ran in the Vancouver Sun today.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=827ee490-a312-406b-ac88-2750d97b341f&p=2

Glen Cameron Sather is 64 years old, one of exactly two living architects of bona fide NHL dynasties, a Hockey Hall of Famer. But before he is allowed to give an interview these days, he must first say: "May I?"

Granted, this is not a particularly good time to be working for Madison Square Garden. So you can perhaps forgive the paranoia that permeates the Cablevision empire, which recently has paid out millions in judgments and settlements for sexual harrassment of employees by its basketball team's GM and head coach and, more recently, a former hockey p.r. assistant.

The gawd-awful Knicks sit tiny percentage points out of last place in the NBA East, while Isiah Thomas -- who was at the centre of the $11.6-million judgment against MSG over his treatment of former executive Anucha Browne Sanders -- somehow hangs onto his job.

By comparison, you might suppose Sather's New York Rangers, tied for fourth in the NHL's Eastern Conference until they ran into Roberto Luongo at GM Place, would be up for MSG Employee of the Year.

But Sather still has to clear it with the team's media relations department before he is permitted to speak.

"What's it about?" the p.r. man asks.

The scribe has no idea. That's how a conversation works sometimes. It starts with hello, and it goes where it goes.

But all right. It's been five years since the Rangers came west. Not a single player on the team Sather generally manages was with the club the last time it was in Vancouver. How about starting there? Even on a squad as bad as the one Sather took over in June of 2000, 100-per-cent turnover in five years is bizarre.

"Well, you've got to go back further than five years," Sather said Thursday. "A lot of the transition from that team to this team developed because of what went on before I got there. They were trying to win another Stanley Cup, and they traded draft picks, traded prospects, and had an older mature team that was on the verge of ... well, doing what it did do."

That is, lose a lot. Miss the playoffs annually. And draw a lot of salary.

"The farm team had won the American League with an average age of 31. There were no prospects there. But I knew that when I was offered the job. I knew it was not going to be a short process. The only way to get through that transition period, until we got some draft picks that we could actually use in the game -- and I think the first one was [goalie Henrik] Lundqvist [drafted in 2000, No. 205 overall, didn't play until 2005-06] -- was to sign some free agents."

Sather inherited Theo Fleury and thought he could salvage his career, but Fleury ended up in alcohol rehab and the problems were compounded when the new GM threw millions more at Eric Lindros, Pavel Bure and Bobby Holik, none of whom came close to panning out in The Apple.

"There's things we did that I wouldn't do again," he said, not mentioning short-lived coach Bryan Trottier's 54 games behind the bench, "but there were a lot of players already there under long-term contracts for a lot of money ... and there's really no way to fill holes without draft picks and youth. We had none of that."

Sather dismantled the Rangers' scouting staff, and it may yet turn out that with Lundqvist, defenceman Marc Staal and Russian centre Artem Anisimov and winger Alexei Cherepanov -- assuming they can get their first-rounder from last June out of Russia -- there is something resembling a young nucleus in the making.

But the Rangers are not quite out of the woods on that score and Sather, who has been mocked in New York for failing to deliver on the remnants of his reputation from Edmonton dynasty days, knows it.

"I don't think there's any such thing as immediate results in this business. How many Sidney Crosbys come along in this game?" he said. "You try to fool yourself into thinking you're smarter than anyone else or that there's a shortcut to success, you're out of your mind."

He never asked for the genius tag, by the way, but he never exactly objected to it, either. There's no question the rich seven-year gig he got from MSG in 2000 -- which has since been redone and basically has no end-date -- was due to the fact the Rangers believed there was more magic left in the old Oiler jar.

"I have plenty left to prove," he said, that day. "It's not like putting up a building on Madison Avenue and saying, 'OK, its finished.' Hockey is never finished. It's a challenge every day, and I look forward to that challenge."

Even at 64, even on the bad days -- and Thursday, when his Rangers completely outplayed the dead-legged Canucks and got nothing for it, was one -- he still does.

"Look at this [Vancouver] franchise. Sure, it's built around a goaltender. But it wouldn't be where it is without drafting and player development, and players maturing, and how the coaching staff has brought them along. We didn't have any of that stuff. We had to go out and start doing it."

The fact that the Rangers seem closer to finding the answers now than they did pre-salary cap, when they could outspend anyone else, might prove Sather is more comfortable when he has to haggle at least a little over dollars, as he always did in Edmonton. Or merely that the lockout wiped the slate clean, and he was allowed to get out from under a pile of contracts and start over.

"You can't change somebody's perception. If they think that's the way it is, then that's the way it is. The only reality you can work under is your own. I don't think spending's got anything to do with it," he said.

"Anyway, it's not like Edmonton's a small market. That's a real fallacy. The largest revenue-generating teams in this league are the Canadian teams. Small market? I think one of the things the Americans teams should consider is going back to these Canadian clubs and getting the money back that they subsidized them with for all those years."

An American Assistance Plan? That's what you're advocating, Slats? Boy, you really have become a New York guy.

"I'm not a New York guy. Canada, the West, Banff -- those will always be home. I just spent a week in Banff, shoveling snow, taking the grandkids on a sleigh ride, skated on the river a couple of days, saw a couple of bull elk fighting each other. It was great.

"I like New York, though. It's been good. But it's the same challenges as everywhere else. You gotta be shitty for a while to be successful today, unless you're real lucky."

The Rangers were, uh, that way. Never quite crappy enough to get a Sidney Crosby in the draft, alas.

Hope the Cablevision boys don't read that quote.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    and Thursday, when his Rangers completely outplayed the dead-legged Canucks

yup
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nice read.

dude- you dont have to " leave our thread " .

heck i like the canucks out of the west.
    the 9th uniform is probably the nicest theyve had in years.

and the original blue- who can argue with that .

trevor linden is one of the best guys- i even liked him in 94.

oh and tyhe commercial the sundin brothers made a few seasdons back- that was hilarious.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    Give us the same time horizon even in a 30 team league and we will see :)

Anyways it has been fun talking hockey with you Ranger fans and I will leave your thread to you. Thought you guys might be interested in this story about Slats that ran in the Vancouver Sun today.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=827ee490-a312-406b-ac88-2750d97b341f&p=2

Glen Cameron Sather is 64 years old, one of exactly two living architects of bona fide NHL dynasties, a Hockey Hall of Famer. But before he is allowed to give an interview these days, he must first say: "May I?"

Granted, this is not a particularly good time to be working for Madison Square Garden. So you can perhaps forgive the paranoia that permeates the Cablevision empire, which recently has paid out millions in judgments and settlements for sexual harrassment of employees by its basketball team's GM and head coach and, more recently, a former hockey p.r. assistant.

The gawd-awful Knicks sit tiny percentage points out of last place in the NBA East, while Isiah Thomas -- who was at the centre of the $11.6-million judgment against MSG over his treatment of former executive Anucha Browne Sanders -- somehow hangs onto his job.

By comparison, you might suppose Sather's New York Rangers, tied for fourth in the NHL's Eastern Conference until they ran into Roberto Luongo at GM Place, would be up for MSG Employee of the Year.

But Sather still has to clear it with the team's media relations department before he is permitted to speak.

"What's it about?" the p.r. man asks.

The scribe has no idea. That's how a conversation works sometimes. It starts with hello, and it goes where it goes.

But all right. It's been five years since the Rangers came west. Not a single player on the team Sather generally manages was with the club the last time it was in Vancouver. How about starting there? Even on a squad as bad as the one Sather took over in June of 2000, 100-per-cent turnover in five years is bizarre.

"Well, you've got to go back further than five years," Sather said Thursday. "A lot of the transition from that team to this team developed because of what went on before I got there. They were trying to win another Stanley Cup, and they traded draft picks, traded prospects, and had an older mature team that was on the verge of ... well, doing what it did do."

That is, lose a lot. Miss the playoffs annually. And draw a lot of salary.

"The farm team had won the American League with an average age of 31. There were no prospects there. But I knew that when I was offered the job. I knew it was not going to be a short process. The only way to get through that transition period, until we got some draft picks that we could actually use in the game -- and I think the first one was [goalie Henrik] Lundqvist [drafted in 2000, No. 205 overall, didn't play until 2005-06] -- was to sign some free agents."

Sather inherited Theo Fleury and thought he could salvage his career, but Fleury ended up in alcohol rehab and the problems were compounded when the new GM threw millions more at Eric Lindros, Pavel Bure and Bobby Holik, none of whom came close to panning out in The Apple.

"There's things we did that I wouldn't do again," he said, not mentioning short-lived coach Bryan Trottier's 54 games behind the bench, "but there were a lot of players already there under long-term contracts for a lot of money ... and there's really no way to fill holes without draft picks and youth. We had none of that."

Sather dismantled the Rangers' scouting staff, and it may yet turn out that with Lundqvist, defenceman Marc Staal and Russian centre Artem Anisimov and winger Alexei Cherepanov -- assuming they can get their first-rounder from last June out of Russia -- there is something resembling a young nucleus in the making.

But the Rangers are not quite out of the woods on that score and Sather, who has been mocked in New York for failing to deliver on the remnants of his reputation from Edmonton dynasty days, knows it.

"I don't think there's any such thing as immediate results in this business. How many Sidney Crosbys come along in this game?" he said. "You try to fool yourself into thinking you're smarter than anyone else or that there's a shortcut to success, you're out of your mind."

He never asked for the genius tag, by the way, but he never exactly objected to it, either. There's no question the rich seven-year gig he got from MSG in 2000 -- which has since been redone and basically has no end-date -- was due to the fact the Rangers believed there was more magic left in the old Oiler jar.

"I have plenty left to prove," he said, that day. "It's not like putting up a building on Madison Avenue and saying, 'OK, its finished.' Hockey is never finished. It's a challenge every day, and I look forward to that challenge."

Even at 64, even on the bad days -- and Thursday, when his Rangers completely outplayed the dead-legged Canucks and got nothing for it, was one -- he still does.

"Look at this [Vancouver] franchise. Sure, it's built around a goaltender. But it wouldn't be where it is without drafting and player development, and players maturing, and how the coaching staff has brought them along. We didn't have any of that stuff. We had to go out and start doing it."

The fact that the Rangers seem closer to finding the answers now than they did pre-salary cap, when they could outspend anyone else, might prove Sather is more comfortable when he has to haggle at least a little over dollars, as he always did in Edmonton. Or merely that the lockout wiped the slate clean, and he was allowed to get out from under a pile of contracts and start over.

"You can't change somebody's perception. If they think that's the way it is, then that's the way it is. The only reality you can work under is your own. I don't think spending's got anything to do with it," he said.

"Anyway, it's not like Edmonton's a small market. That's a real fallacy. The largest revenue-generating teams in this league are the Canadian teams. Small market? I think one of the things the Americans teams should consider is going back to these Canadian clubs and getting the money back that they subsidized them with for all those years."

An American Assistance Plan? That's what you're advocating, Slats? Boy, you really have become a New York guy.

"I'm not a New York guy. Canada, the West, Banff -- those will always be home. I just spent a week in Banff, shoveling snow, taking the grandkids on a sleigh ride, skated on the river a couple of days, saw a couple of bull elk fighting each other. It was great.

"I like New York, though. It's been good. But it's the same challenges as everywhere else. You gotta be shitty for a while to be successful today, unless you're real lucky."

The Rangers were, uh, that way. Never quite crappy enough to get a Sidney Crosby in the draft, alas.

Hope the Cablevision boys don't read that quote.

That policy has been in place since 2001. it applies more to the knicks. during the pregame, morning shootaround and postgame, a media relations official is required to type notes into a blackberry and send them up the chain of command.

They also do that for player interviews.

They do it for the Rangers but it's more extensive or more well-known with the Knicks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    and Thursday, when his Rangers completely outplayed the dead-legged Canucks

yup
    Is that next Thursday?
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    2 trips in37 years for the canucks

and lost to ny both times lol

very impressive

now i see why we got eliminated so quicklyin the nhl battle game thing.

these canucks must hate us , specially since weve been around so long ( orig 6 )
    platessmall.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    now i see why we got eliminated so quicklyin the nhl battle game thing.

these canucks must hate us , specially since weve been around so long ( orig 6 )
    There might be some truth to that.
    i would love to sign up for a luxury suite with some of you fuckers!!

my company had a box last year and i sat up there for a few games. all the food you can eat, and all of the beer you can drink for free! it was a great experience. pretty high up though... i felt like i could reach out and touch the knicks banners.

its back up

6 of us can partake :

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Rangers-Tickets-Brian-Leetch-Retirement-Night-1-24_W0QQitemZ270201008502QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    platessmall.jpg
    it$ really di$gu$ting
    platessmall.jpg
  • 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ouch, that looked like a pretty bad collision for shanahan, knee-on-knee with penner. he looks like he's in a lot of pain but at least shanny is still on the bench.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • drury is such a god
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • typical chris drury goal also, right in front of the net.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    ouch, that looked like a pretty bad collision for shanahan, knee-on-knee with penner. he looks like he's in a lot of pain but at least shanny is still on the bench.

we needed shanahan in the shootout.
    I miss igotid88
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    I liked the "OMG" in the end there...LMAO! :D
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    lets keep his dad in our prayers.
    an aneurism can be fatal, lucky that he didnt bleed out and die.
    especially after long airplane flights and the pressurization that occurs on long flights, it couldve been worse.
    rehab can be long and tedious too,....
    he hasnt had his game in a while now,....

Dad On Henriks Mind
    Dad on Henrik Lundqvist's mind
    BY JOHN DELLAPINA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, January 7th 2008, 4:00 AM

Keivom/News

Henrik Lundqvist insists his father's health has not been a distraction.
    Henrik Lundqvist insists it is neither a valid excuse for anything that has happened over the last several weeks nor a reasonable explanation for any particular goal against or subpar performance.

But then, the Rangers' franchise goaltender concedes that his father's health - slowly improving but still a matter of major concern - is on his mind constantly.

Peter Lundqvist underwent brain surgery in mid-December. Henrik doesn't want to discuss the details. But his father apparently suffered an aneurysm that required the surgery shortly after he returned to Sweden from a late-November visit to the United States to see his twin sons Henrik and Joel of the Dallas Stars play against each other at the Garden.

According to one account, which Henrik did not want to discuss, Peter Lundqvist underwent the surgery without Henrik or Joel knowing until after it was over. The procedure was successful. But the recovery has been slow.

And monitoring it from across the Atlantic has not been easy.

"I think about it every day, of course," Lundqvist told the Daily News. "But it's not that he's that sick. He's just recovering from a tough operation - a tough surgery. And it's going to take awhile for him to get back.

"It was something on the brain. I don't want to go into too much on it. Knowing that he's getting better, you see improvements every week. So that's good. It makes me relax."

Lundqvist was anything but relaxed coming off the ice in Edmonton on Saturday after yielding the only goal of the shootout to Sam Gagner in a 3-2 loss that completed a winless Rangers road trip. Lundqvist repeatedly lashed his goalstick into anything that crossed his path, splintering it to pieces.

And he has not been the same goaltender over the last month that he was through the season's first two months.

In his first 24 starts, Lundqvist allowed more than three goals just once, while holding opponents to two or fewer 17 times. He played to a 1.82 goals-against average and .930 save percentage over that stretch, which ran through the Dec.1 victory at Ottawa that completed a 12-3-1 surge.

Lundqvist has allowed four goals or more in half of his 12 starts since while holding opponents to two or fewer just four times. Over that stretch, he has played to a 3.17 goals-against average and .867 save percentage.

THAT HURTS: RW Brendan Shanahan said after Saturday night's game that the left knee injury he suffered in an unintentional center-ice collision with Edmonton's Dustin Penner 9:01 into the third period was "just a contusion." There was no update from the Rangers Sunday, as they spent the day flying back from Edmonton.

After writhing on the ice for several seconds, Shanahan attempted to walk and skate it off. He returned for one 20-second, penalty-killing shift but didn't play anymore.

Rangers coach Tom Renney said LW Martin Straka suffered "a stinger" from slamming into the backboards 1:10 into overtime. Straka did not return to the game and was hunched over and hurting in the Rangers' dressing room afterward.

platessmall.jpg
  • looks like that stinger by straka is a concussion.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    looks like that stinger by straka is a concussion.

terrible news, terrible timing.

we have the bottom feeders coming up in the next couple of games, we need regulation Ws bigtime.
    platessmall.jpg
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    we have the bottom feeders coming up in the next couple of games.
    looking forward to the games against the Sabres coming up............
    nigel dawes back up with the big club, cally sent back down to try and gain some confidence back, should be interesting ,.
    platessmall.jpg
    avery is out a week also oh boy
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    NY PJ1 wrote:

ugh... has shit offically hit the fan?
  • and welcome to the lineup Pierre Parenteau from Hartford

and shit hitting the fan is what has happened to tampa bay losers of seven in a row and the second-worst team in the league.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    moore gets called up and has the flu :confused:

strudwick playing forward and big bird back on D
    NY PJ1 wrote:

dammit to hell !
    platessmall.jpg
  • this will be a real indictment on this team if they can't win again with avery injured. he's a nice player for what he does but the rest of the team possesses enough talent that it's really unacceptable if avery's presence is a big difference in the win-loss record.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    dammit to hell !

you're probably not going to like this one either:

Parenteau, who played five games for the Blackhawks last season (with an assist), skated on a line with Marek Malik (yes) and Marcel Hossa.

(newsday)
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    you're probably not going to like this one either:

Parenteau, who played five games for the Blackhawks last season (with an assist), skated on a line with Marek Malik (yes) and Marcel Hossa.

(newsday)

they'll move strudwick up on offense b4 malik (u know that)