2007 Yankees

Comments

• AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I would love for Giambi to be done. Hopefully they can find somebody willing to gamble a few prospects for him.

What's wrong with Jason?
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Allie wrote:
    the runs he gave up were charged to Wang though, weren't they?

I think moose should've started the game, actually. Wang may have had the better record but Moose has the post season experience to go on. Wang could've backed him up out of the pen.

Blech.
    I told u about that..my feeling was go with Mussina...hes got more experience and if he gets in trouble u get Wang ready.
    Joe being the guy that he is I think wanted to give Wang a chance to redeem himself and it was amazing what he told him afterwards. DOnt let it affect you or your career. The yankees are gonna miss that
    Hopefully if we DO get Girardi the transition will be easier cause he's cut from the same cloth, AND he's cool with the remainding staff, like Mo and Jorge, Jeet.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Allie wrote:
    What's wrong with Jason?

He just doesn't belong on this team anymore. Always hurt. Which is self inflicted because of the steroids. I hope they can do a Sheffield to Detroit type deal, but I just don't know if anyone would take him without the Yanks paying 90% of his salary.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Allie wrote:
    that's what I was saying

I mean yeah Moose gave up the runs but he was coming in the middle of an inning to clean up that mess

i know but Mussina gave up 2 extra later on.
    I miss igotid88
    Allie wrote:
    What's wrong with Jason?
    I dont mind but I just dont think NY, George and Cash are gonna wanna deal with the drama surrounding him and all that. we'll see, we still need a top notch 1st baseman too so we got work to do
    stickboy wrote:
    I told u about that..my feeling was go with Mussina...hes got more experience and if he gets in trouble u get Wang ready.
    Joe being the guy that he is I think wanted to give Wang a chance to redeem himself and it was amazing what he told him afterwards. DOnt let it affect you or your career. The yankees are gonna miss that
    Hopefully if we DO get Girardi the transition will be easier cause he's cut from the same cloth, AND he's cool with the remainding staff, like Mo and Jorge, Jeet.

I had that same feeling about Moose from the get go but I can also see how Joe would go with his same starting rotation from the year...Wang was the #1 starter and 19 game winner, he just didn't have it tonight.

I didn't hear that he said that to Wang. That is really cool.

I hope Joe doesn't have to go out like that.
    Girardi is a good guy but he's no Joe Torre. He will be after a while, but not in the beginning. They said in the papers and on TV that Girardi has the edge b/c he had managerial experience.
    But I wonder how Mo and DJ and them will feel playing for a guy they used to play WITH, you know?

I hope that wasn't Joe's last game but it does seem kind of bleak for him at this point. That's sad.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    stickboy wrote:
    I dont mind but I just dont think NY, George and Cash are gonna wanna deal with the drama surrounding him and all that. we'll see, we still need a top notch 1st baseman too so we got work to do

what drama? He admitted to being 'sorry' for the thing of which he does not wish to speak :)

what's wrong with Mientkiewicz?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    igotid88 wrote:
    i know but Mussina gave up 2 extra later on.
    oh right
    well he did the best he could
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • for me it's not any drama. It's the constant injuries and the lack of performance. he hit .236 with 14 HR's and 46 RBI's this year. I think they'll be stuck with him next year, but if he could bring something back, go for it. It may best to just keep him and get compensation picks when he signs elsewhere after 2008
    Allie wrote:
    I had that same feeling about Moose from the get go but I can also see how Joe would go with his same starting rotation from the year...Wang was the #1 starter and 19 game winner, he just didn't have it tonight.

I didn't hear that he said that to Wang. That is really cool.

I hope Joe doesn't have to go out like that.
    Girardi is a good guy but he's no Joe Torre. He will be after a while, but not in the beginning. They said in the papers and on TV that Girardi has the edge b/c he had managerial experience.
    But I wonder how Mo and DJ and them will feel playing for a guy they used to play WITH, you know?

I hope that wasn't Joe's last game but it does seem kind of bleak for him at this point. That's sad.
    yea during the press conference they asked Joe what he was telling Wang, and he had like a real heart to heart with him.

word tho...let joe decide his fate...george should just let it go for a bit and decompress for now like joe said

I think the guys wil be ok with playing for someone they played with. They are pro's and its a business..they'll be there someday too just like Guidry and Mattingly...keepin it in the family. Those guys got a lot of love for Girardi and I think they'll have an input on wether he gets hired or not or even reccomended for that matter
    Allie wrote:
    what drama? He admitted to being 'sorry' for the thing of which he does not wish to speak :)

what's wrong with Mientkiewicz?
    Mientkiewicz actually bounced back after that nasty hit he took to the head, but I dunno how he'll fit in next yr.
    He just doesn't belong on this team anymore. Always hurt. Which is self inflicted because of the steroids. I hope they can do a Sheffield to Detroit type deal, but I just don't know if anyone would take him without the Yanks paying 90% of his salary.

didn't he hurt his foot or something this year though? that wasn't self inflicted

I'm ok with him, I think he has a reliable bat and he's good for power and HR's esp. off the bench

you know I would have liked to have seen Shelley Duncan play more in this series, he would've been good. I'd like to see him play more next year too, he's earned his spot. I don't think we had a bad team we just got outplayed
    and outpitched. I want to see the starting rotation shored up. And I'd like to see A-Rod go.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Originally Posted by Fighting Hellfish
    I wish the Indians luck against Boston. Hopefully CC or Fausto have the balls to put a fastball in Manny's ear if he does his stand at homeplate and watch his homerun, then walk around the bases bullshit.

drew0 wrote:
    that is one of the funniest (and truest) things that i have heard all day.

It absolutely amazes me that more people, especially pitchers and managers are not disgusted by that.
  • congratulations to eric wedge and the other cleveland indians players and their fans. good luck against a formidible red sox team.

It's surreal to think that Joe Torre could not be back next season. It's almost sad and while I respect George Steinbrenner's willingness to spend the money to put a World Series contending team on the field each year a little of that respect is lost if he lets Joe go. Joe has done more than enough to earn the right to go out on his own terms.

And I will say this, even though it ended the way it did, it was among my favorite seasons of the last 12 years. The way they came back in the second half was extremely exciting combined with the development of some of the younger players.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Goodbye Joe Torre !! Thanx For The Years But Dont Let The Door Hit Ya In The Arse
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Allie wrote:

bogus

so thats seven years now

irrelevance confirmed
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    Allie wrote:
    He's done... poor guy he doesn't deserve to go out like that

when you dont have the ability to manage superstars

ya gotta go

he should have been gone last year

ya dont put spoiled milk in the fridge for a year and expect it to be fresh the following.
    drew0 wrote:
    i'm scared of joba in the next couple years. he's like...what? 22? that's just down right frightening.
    pretty sure the bug game turned him into brad lidge
    Allie wrote:

We were thisclose! blech it was the bugs, man. It was all about the bugs.
    how the mighty have fallen :rolleyes:
    Allie wrote:
    ...Wang was the #1 starter and 19 game winner, he just didn't have it tonight.
    or game 1

he's a competent REGULAR season pitcher.

the yanks staff is no where close to being organized

btw si.com
    Here's all you need to know about why the Yankees are 4-13 in their past 17 postseason games: in that stretch their starting pitchers are 2-8 with a 6.36 ERA while averaging 4 2/3 innings per start. Two wins from starting pitchers in 17 games, none in which they completed seven innings. The lack of pitchers who can give them length or the ability to strike out batters -- they averaged 5.9 strikeouts per nine innings -- killed them more than anything else.

unrelated but dont be surprised with the yanks resurgence with cashman in bed with the commish:

Epstein had better be allowed to ignore the commissioner's office attempts to artificially rig draft and amateur signing prices, because Cashman's Yankees will spend whatever it takes. And the new ballpark (and the year's exemption from the luxury tax) will add to the Yankees' vault; one man has secured first-row boxes behind home plate in the new park at $2,500 a seat, which, with four seats, means his regular-season total will be $810,000 a year, until the prices go up.
  • Well, I'm exhausted and a bit hollowed. Its been a lonnggg season that feels like 3 different seasons in 1. Here are my final thoughts.

1. The playoffs-- Paul O'neil said it best. This Yankees team just had NO playoff enthusiasm and excitment. They did NOT have that playoff edge at all.
    & that starts with mr. captain Jeter who I think played like a dog and looked out of it. That being said if you don't want it you don't deserve it.

2. Joe Torre--Its been a great run but its time. The thing peole never mention is the guys contract is up. Therefore he wouldn't really be getting fired?? Joe is 67 years old and his been in MLB for 47 years. Why not just retire?? His style just doesn't match anymore.

3. The future--We need JOE GIRARDI. JG, is a firery guy who leads with excitment. Thats what NYY has been lacking and what they need. JG connects with young guys and will put these high profie guys in their place when need be. Mattingly would be a turn for the worse.

4. Build around Hughes, Joba, Cano, & Girardi. If you think about the times this team did the best this year including the playoffs was when these young guys sparked it. They are the hungry ones and the motivated animals.
    A-rod,,....I don't care. He's the best player in the game but he's a high profile celebrity.

The Yankees need a ball club, not high profile celebrities in pinstripes. I'd take 25 shelly duncan's.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    this off-season is going to be rough for the yanks.

torre is most likely gone. who will replace him? supposedly mattingly has been 'groomed' to be his replacement. i'm not sure if girardi would jump at the change - maybe.

a-rod could (and i think will) opt-out (la angels anyone?) there is no way with boras as his agent that he doesn't take advantage of having every mlb team attempt to sign him. mark november 10th on your calendars.

posada is a free agent and is 36. will he re-sign and what will the years/$$$ be?

mariano rivera is a free agent and will be 38. will he re-sign and what will the years/$$$ be?

pettitte has a $16mil player option. will he want to come back if torre is gone and his buddy roger (finally) retires?

the yanks have a $16mil option on abreu. will they pick it up?

in 2008 they will be paying $21mil to giambi who will be 37, $11mil to moose who will be 39 and $11mil to pavano who will be hurt again at some point.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Walking around the city as a Met fan is a bit easier today ;)..see you in 08..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    2 things from the game tonight:

What did everyone think about the Shoppach hit by pitch? I thought it hit the bat, not his hand myself, but besides that, even if it did hit his hand, shouldn't that have been considered a swing, and therefore a strike?

Obviously spitballs are illegal, but why are pitchers allowed to spit on their hand as the catcher throws them the ball? I saw Byrd do that a few times tonight, and I've seen others do it this season.
    1. it looked like the ball hit Shoppach's hand first then the bat, and as he was recoiling from the pitch, he was not attempting the bunt, so its not a swing, and HBP is the correct call.

2. When not on the pitching mound, a pitcher can "go to his mouth" (spit on or lick or blow on his hand), but not on the mound.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    The Champ wrote:
    Walking around the city as a Met fan is a bit easier today ;)..see you in 08..

haha thats funny ,, yea u guys can sit back and play with all those rings
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    haha thats funny ,, yea u guys can sit back and play with all those rings

Like Jeter (Mr. October) has been playing with nothing but his little dick for how many postseasons in a row now?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Like Jeter (Mr. October) has been playing with nothing but his little dick for how many postseasons in a row now?

way less than the mets :)

he really likes his 2000 ring,,thats the best one of all
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    way less than the mets :)

he really likes his 2000 ring,,thats the best one of all

I'm sure, but he's been fucking awful in October in recent years..

Anyway, I feel great today..The Yanks got spanked around like the little bitches that they are, and the Phills were swept :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    I'm sure, but he's been fucking awful in October in recent years..

Anyway, I feel great today..The Yanks got spanked around like the little bitches that they are, and the Phills were swept :)..

and the mets havent won in 21 years

see thats the a bad mentality

the mets fans are satisfied that their rivals lose ,,its like they won something if the others lose
    bad way to view things,, ya gotta win 1 bro ....
    shit even the sux won a ring lol
    the florida marlins have 2 lol
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    so will torre get canned ?? and i agree jeter stunk it up just as bad as wang ,so now i just put money on the INDIANS i could never root for the red sox fuck that .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....