2007 Yankees

1103104105106107109»

Comments

• The A-Rod celebrity circus continues. After all this I really don't want him back. I've heard he's pretty pissed at Boras who claimed he can get the $350 mill and nobody is jumping at him.

GM Champagne Breakfast off season moves:
    Miguel Cabrera at third--without! trading hughes or kennedy if possible. what about trading sanchez, ohlendorf, clippard, and $$$???
    or trade those guys for santana or kazmir????
    I certainly would not be opposed to getting aaron rowand either. Though not sure he fits in anywhere.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    Allie wrote:
    No kidding? Oh wow. Good for him. I didn't know that. that's pretty cool. They said on the news on Channel 4 that Clemens is considering a coaching job w/the Astros. LOl-he can coach them how to hit someone w/a pitch!!! J/k.

They also said the Mets and Angels are talking to A-Rod's agent?

He's already signed a 10 year contract to work with the Astros immediately after he retires. The only question is when he will begin that contract.

As far as A-Rod, I believe the Mets, Angels, and Red Sox have all either met with him or have publicly acknowledged interest.

Tigers and Marlins are among those that have publicly stated they are not interested.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    The A-Rod celebrity circus continues. After all this I really don't want him back. I've heard he's pretty pissed at Boras who claimed he can get the $350 mill and nobody is jumping at him.

Miguel Cabrera at third--without! trading hughes or kennedy if possible. what about trading sanchez, ohlendorf, clippard, and $$$???
    I certainly would not be opposed to getting aaron rowand either. Though not sure he fits in anywhere.

I can't imagine the Marlins giving Cabrera away for that kind of package especially with Sanchez having serious arm surgery. I would think they could get something better from someone else and they may even wait and trade him during the season.
    A guy I havent heard mentioned is Phillips. I know he played 2B. Did he ever play any 3B? If I thought Cano could play the position, I would say that was the move to make, but I don't know if he can without becoming a defensive liability. It would certainly be easier to find a new 2B than a 3B.
    I just want them to go ahead and get Mo and Jorge wrapped up so we don't have to worry about them.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I can't imagine the Marlins giving Cabrera away for that kind of package especially with Sanchez having serious arm surgery. I would think they could get something better from someone else and they may even wait and trade him during the season.
    A guy I havent heard mentioned is Phillips. I know he played 2B. Did he ever play any 3B? If I thought Cano could play the position, I would say that was the move to make, but I don't know if he can without becoming a defensive liability. It would certainly be easier to find a new 2B than a 3B.
    I just want them to go ahead and get Mo and Jorge wrapped up so we don't have to worry about them.

you're right about cabrera.

this is a very popular topic on message boards these days: how to get miguel cabrera without giving up any top prospects in return. :rolleyes: it's not gonna happen...

it came out recently (via MLB.com) that the dodgers offered matt kemp, james loney, and chad billingsley for miguel cabrera during the season. that's an absolute hell of a package, but florida turned it down. :eek: so i don't see them taking significantly less than that for cabrera now. but i have to say that turning down that offer was exceptionally stupid, if true.

i heard a rumor that brian cashman was offering alan horne, jose tabata, humberto sanchez, and ross ohlendorf for cabrera. florida will probably turn it down, and i think that's a good thing because i'd rather give up kennedy than that package (and for the record, i'd never give up kennedy for cabrera).

i don't think that cabrera is the answer anyway. he has no work ethic and didn't get along with girardi in florida because of it. he has also said in the past that he would never want to play for the yankees. the yankees don't need that kind of attitude from their 3B right now...

wilson betemit still has a lot of potential. like cabrera, he's usually out of shape. he needs to improve his work ethic if he ever wants to reach his projections, but i think he's still a good option at 3B next year. that's why they traded for him, isn't it?

phillips can play 3B, but he's not really the answer there...
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077

yeah, the marlins will surely take a bunch of B level prospects for the hottest player on the trading block. why don't you see if you can get kyle farnsworth included in that trade?

i have no idea why the devil rays, er, rays would even think about trading kazmir since he's two year away from free agency (i think).

as for santana - trade now while the market is peak, because once the season starts his trade value will just go down and down. with the new stadium the twins should just pony up some cash and keep him, unless he doesn't want to stay.

to get cabrera, santana or kazmir you are going to have to give up at least one top prospect, one high level one, a low level prospect or two with upside and probably a player with a 'bad' contract...you know, what the red sox did when they traded for josh beckett and got lowell as a "throw in." it sucks that the sox traded away hanley ramirez, because he's unbelievable.

and yeah, just what the yanks need - another OF. where would damon, matsui, abreu, melky and rowand all play?
  • interesting article on OF prospect austin jackson:

http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com/articles/detail/91

the story on this kid is that he fell to the eighth round in 2005 because he had a strong commitment to georgia tech, where he was expected to replace jarrett jack (now with the portland trail blazers) as the starting PG on the basketball team. but the yankees got him signed and now he's one of their top prospects.
    it came out recently (via MLB.com) that the dodgers offered matt kemp, james loney, and chad billingsley for miguel cabrera during the season. that's an absolute hell of a package, but florida turned it down. :eek: so i don't see them taking significantly less than that for cabrera now. but i have to say that turning down that offer was exceptionally stupid, if true.

It would be interesting to know if the Dodgers really offered that package. That is a lot of young talent. I would have jumped on it if I was the Marlins.
    Brian
  • florida probably turned it down because they were afraid that those 3 would be great for 6 years, and then they would have to actually pay them for the 2014 season. Could you imagine having to pay 3 pretty good players all in one season?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    florida probably turned it down because they were afraid that those 3 would be great for 6 years, and then they would have to actually pay them for the 2014 season. Could you imagine having to pay 3 pretty good players all in one season?

why do they have revenue sharing if the teams aren't gonna spend it on their players. what are they doing with that money?
    I miss igotid88
  • good question. It's quite a joke actually. A few years ago, Florida collected $30 million from revenue sharing (Welfare from the Yankees) and $30 million from the TV deal. That year they fielded a $15 million payroll. Don't even have to sell 1 ticket, and you've already made a $45 million profit. Good business if you can get it. It certainly pays to be a pal of Interim Commisioner Bud Selig
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    florida probably turned it down because they were afraid that those 3 would be great for 6 years, and then they would have to actually pay them for the 2014 season. Could you imagine having to pay 3 pretty good players all in one season?

They would have traded those players in 4 or 5 years like they do with everybody else.
    Free Agent List as of 11/10/2007.
    Brian
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Bruce & Bernie

Joe Torre still in New York state of mind

BY CHRISTIAN RED
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

Print Email Suggest a Story

Joe Torre at his Safe at Home gala on Friday night.

The only hint of Dodger Blue was a draping of the same color surrounding the red carpet area and an appearance by Ned Colletti, whom Joe Torre now calls general manager, and Don Mattingly, who followed the former Yankee skipper west.

Otherwise, last night's fifth annual Safe At Home Foundation gala at Chelsea Piers still had a pinstriped feel to it.

Four days after he slipped on a Dodgers jersey and was announced as the team's new manager at a massive press conference at Dodger Stadium, Torre channeled his New York roots once again, presiding over the charity dinner and live auction that helps raise money and awareness in the fight against domestic abuse. Torre and his wife Ali started the foundation in 2002.

There was star power in the form of Bruce Springsteen, who performed for the 700-plus guests, and comedian Billy Crystal, a close friend of Torre's.

Mayor Bloomberg, "Sopranos" actress Lorraine Bracco, Hall of Fame Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson were also on hand.

And of course, there were the Yankees past and present, including captain Derek Jeter and free agents Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera, as well as Yogi Berra, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill and David Cone.

Among the night's highlights was Williams joining Springsteen on stage for "Glory Days," in which the former Yankee center fielder brought down the house with two guitar solos. Springsteen, who also delighted the audience, played a song tribute to Torre and the Yankees and said he would include it on his next album.

Torre's ring finger was conspicuously absent of any of the four World Series rings he won with the Yankees.

"They'll always be my players," Torre said of the team he managed the past 12 seasons, even though he's officially gone Hollywood.

Indeed, in addition to reuniting with some of his former players last night, Torre said he and Ali have no plans to sell their Westchester home just yet and will remain living in the area at least until their daughter Andrea finishes this school year.

"I don't think we're going to look to sell the house. We like it here. We really found a home here. We've always talked about when the career was over, but certainly we didn't expect something else to start up," said Torre. "But we always talked about always having a place here to come back."

Torre said Safe At Home will remain based on the East Coast and he will continue to host a New York City dinner each year. "Safe At Home is not going to lose its New York roots," he said. "We'd like to get it started on (the West) Coast. But we're still going to plan on having the dinner here next year. We've always wanted to go national with our message. I guess we'll start on two coasts and work our way to the middle."

Torre said he had started work on his new job, spending this past week familiarizing himself with his new team and talking with Colletti while the Dodgers GM was in Orlando for the GM meetings.

Both Posada and Rivera blew by the media, with Rivera only shouting, "Nice seeing you guys," as he was whisked inside.

"Right after I left the Yankees, I talked to Jorgie and Mo and I told them they've got to do what's best for their family. And I'd be surprised if they wouldn't be back here," Torre said.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • florida probably turned it down because they were afraid that those 3 would be great for 6 years, and then they would have to actually pay them for the 2014 season. Could you imagine having to pay 3 pretty good players all in one season?

yup, that's florida.

the yankees could trade phil hughes for miguel cabrera. then in three years, florida would turn around and trade hughes to boston. so what's the point??? why does florida even want phil hughes in the first place???

that's an absolute train wreck of an organization if they honestly believe that trading away arbitration-eligible 24-year olds is their best course of action.
    good question. It's quite a joke actually. A few years ago, Florida collected $30 million from revenue sharing (Welfare from the Yankees) and $30 million from the TV deal. That year they fielded a $15 million payroll. Don't even have to sell 1 ticket, and you've already made a $45 million profit. Good business if you can get it. It certainly pays to be a pal of Interim Commisioner Bud Selig

maybe the stadium lease and front office salaries were more than $45 million. :rolleyes:

one of the most obvious rules of business is that you never invest in a sports franchise if your primary goal is to turn a profit.

but florida somehow found a way to make it work. good for them. :rolleyes:

and all it cost miami was a potentially-legitimate major league franchise...
    pic of Bernie on stage with Bruce for "Glory Days" at the Safe at Home Gala.

Bernie up in the air about making a comeback but not headed to Dodgers if he decides to play again.
    Brian
  • Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Karstens won again for Team USA.

Regarding the whole A-Rod thing, I don't know what to think. On one hand we need a 3B and the guy is amazing. On the other hand, sometimes a break is necessary to make things better.
    Brian
  • which do you dislike more Jen, Hockey or Baseball...cause there are plenty of both!
    "It's all happening"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    The Yankees will not win another one for years.....as long as A-Rod is on that team!!

I predict they will win another World Series at the latest 2009 with A-Rod.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:
    The Yankees will not win another one for years.....as long as A-Rod is on that team!!

I predict they will win another World Series at the latest 2009 with A-Rod.

mlb_g_pedromartinez_200.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    hideki-matsui-game-6-world-series-690d285cd89923c5_large.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    hideki-matsui-game-6-world-series-690d285cd89923c5_large.jpg

It was all about Hideki that series...and the picture you posted is so sweet with Pedro watching "the launch". :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: