2007 Yankees

Comments

• this whole torre thing is stupid by big stein. he can do what he wants but to me torre can manage until he decides when he wants to go.

It's amazing a person the caliber of Torre, who has done so much in terms of charity, has the full backing of virtually every player that has ever played for him, anybody that has ever worked with him as a coach is fighting for his job.

All of this while a person like Isiah Thomas, who has been found guilty of sexual harrassment, has yet to win a playoff game and has never had a winning season can remain employed it's truly absurd.

stupid? very. but it worked for him 30 years ago. maybe he thought he was threatening billy martin instead of joe torre.

speaking of which, i've heard that steinbrenner is beyond senile at this point and it's so serious that the front office actually takes steps to make sure that he doesn't come in contact with the media. so i wouldn't put too much stock in what he has to say. i don't know how he managed to sneak out this time. i'm imagining it to be sorta similar to when uncle junior snuck out to go visit his dead brother.

i'm kinda on the fence with torre. he's the best clubhouse manager in the game, but some of his in-game decisions really get magnified this time of year. i've always felt that the worst thing to happen to him was losing don zimmer. torre was the clubhouse guy and zimmer was the strategy guy. perfect formula. the yankees have had some great bench coaches since zimmer, but none of them have had the same level of authority.

i'm not sure if there's any truth to the rumor that pettitte, posada, and rivera will walk if torre gets fired, but it really speaks volumes about what he means to the team.

and i'd just like to state for the record that the chances of the yankees winning the world series are considerably better than the chances of isiah getting fired. and that's not a good thing. i miss having a basketball team to root for. :(
    i would have let hughes start the seventh, but i'm not going to nit-pick over joba going 38 pitches, especially because there's no guarantee there's another game until the final out, especially if some of those other relievers like farnsworth pitch.

that's a bad situation in the yankees' bullpen if they really need to throw joba two innings with a five-run lead. that does not inspire confidence.

i completely agree regarding hughes, but i understand why joba pitched the seventh. he had already warmed up and they didn't want to shut him down. but i might have been inclined to let one of the other guys work the eighth with mariano as a safety net.

of course, then i'd be the one getting fired instead of torre...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    ahhh, we're just busting balls. He was going for the laugh, and I tried to follow up with a CVS on DPA joke, as there are like 3 CVSes on DPA. All in good fun. So, any way, what's this about Jeter banging Mariah?
    DPA is on my way to work, u free tommrow around like 10:30 pm
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    stupid? very. but it worked for him 30 years ago. maybe he thought he was threatening billy martin instead of joe torre.

speaking of which, i've heard that steinbrenner is beyond senile at this point and it's so serious that the front office actually takes steps to make sure that he doesn't come in contact with the media. so i wouldn't put too much stock in what he has to say. i don't know how he managed to sneak out this time. i'm imagining it to be sorta similar to when uncle junior snuck out to go visit his dead brother.

i'm kinda on the fence with torre. he's the best clubhouse manager in the game, but some of his in-game decisions really get magnified this time of year. i've always felt that the worst thing to happen to him was losing don zimmer. torre was the clubhouse guy and zimmer was the strategy guy. perfect formula. the yankees have had some great bench coaches since zimmer, but none of them have had the same level of authority.

i'm not sure if there's any truth to the rumor that pettitte, posada, and rivera will walk if torre gets fired, but it really speaks volumes about what he means to the team.

and i'd just like to state for the record that the chances of the yankees winning the world series are considerably better than the chances of isiah getting fired. and that's not a good thing. i miss having a basketball team to root for. :(

that's a bad situation in the yankees' bullpen if they really need to throw joba two innings with a five-run lead. that does not inspire confidence.

i completely agree regarding hughes, but i understand why joba pitched the seventh. he had already warmed up and they didn't want to shut him down. but i might have been inclined to let one of the other guys work the eighth with mariano as a safety net.

Ahhh...the symptoms of an over-fan. Overthinking the chances of a team that isn't going to make it... check out the Twins thread. I became Jesus in August. :)

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • stupid? very. but it worked for him 30 years ago. maybe he thought he was threatening billy martin instead of joe torre.

regarding the condition of steinbrenner, i don't know if you heard it this morning but the writer of the story was on WFAN this morning and was asked point blank how he thought steinbrenner's condition was and if he would have published it if he thought steinbrenner was senile. he said steinbrenner sounded normal - of course he could he been fooling the writer - and that he would not have published it had steinbrenner sounded senile like not knowing who A-Rod was.

As for the Joba thing, I still bring him in because there's no guarantee that you won't have to bring in anyway if someone else falters and in an elimination game, you just can't take that chance of someone who is not close to automatic if there is such a thing.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • stickboy wrote:
    pick me up a pack of dutches will ya?

i'll throw down if you're rolling...
  • metsfan wrote:
    DPA is on my way to work, u free tommrow around like 10:30 pm

okay....let's see here, monday. 10:30 PM. Not sure if I'd make it home in time to see The Daily Show. Can you make 10:15?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    okay....let's see here, monday. 10:30 PM. Not sure if I'd make it home in time to see The Daily Show. Can you make 10:15?
    yes of course
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• gue_barium wrote:
    Ahhh...the symptoms of an over-fan. Overthinking the chances of a team that isn't going to make it... check out the Twins thread. I became Jesus in August. :)

over thinking what? when did i say the yankees were gonna make it?

if this is about isiah thomas, i can assure you that it was a joke. :)

the yankees also became jesus in august when they rose from the dead. now they're trying to take a 2-1 lead on jesus. ;)
  • gue_barium wrote:

you should have just listened to me in the Twins thread. Had you just listened to me in February, you could have had a lot more free time this summer. Check post # 18

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=230556&highlight=minnesota+twins
  • regarding the condition of steinbrenner, i don't know if you heard it this morning but the writer of the story was on WFAN this morning and was asked point blank how he thought steinbrenner's condition was and if he would have published it if he thought steinbrenner was senile. he said steinbrenner sounded normal - of course he could he been fooling the writer - and that he would not have published it had steinbrenner sounded senile like not knowing who A-Rod was.

As for the Joba thing, I still bring him in because there's no guarantee that you won't have to bring in anyway if someone else falters and in an elimination game, you just can't take that chance of someone who is not close to automatic if there is such a thing.

interesting. there's definitely something going on, because it's not like steinbrenner to be as silent as he has been the last two years.

if we're talking about a reliever pitching three innings in two games, i'd rather it be mo than joba. i don't know why. maybe the "rules" have made me paranoid. and if veras or farnsworthless can't even pitch to the first batter of the eighth in that situation, it seems silly to even be carrying them on the roster...
  • metsfan wrote:
    yes of course

well, of course there's a chance the game runs into the 10 O Clock hour, so I'm gonna have to put this grudge match into the calendar in pencil. Shall we make Tuesday, the off day in between Game 4 and Game 5, the "rain date"?
  • interesting. there's definitely something going on, because it's not like steinbrenner to be as silent as he has been the last two years.

if we're talking about a reliever pitching three innings in two games, i'd rather it be mo than joba. i don't know why. maybe the "rules" have made me paranoid. and if veras or farnsworthless can't even pitch to the first batter of the eighth in that situation, it seems silly to even be carrying them on the roster...

steinbrenner supposedly has been this way according to some reports i've read since 2003. if you remember he collapsed at a funeral in the winter of 2003 and he was rather silent after they lost to the Red Sox.

If the Yankees are up 2-0 or if the series is tied at 1-1, I'd take a shot with those guys but in games where everything is on the line, you have to win or lose with your best out the pen.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • interesting. there's definitely something going on, because it's not like steinbrenner to be as silent as he has been the last two years.

yeah, good point. and I said that after the 7th. get Joba out, it's 8-3, need him tomorrow. FWorth in, Mo ready to come in after 2 hits
  • FWorth in, Mo ready to come in after 2 hits

what really pissed me off is that there were people in my section (right above the yankees' bullpen) booing and taunting farnsworth while he was warming up. how is that supposed to help his confidence??? you boo him after he fucks up, not before...

idiots. :rolleyes:
  • another thing that's quietly a factor in why torre has done enough in my mind to stay. this time of a year a guy like hideki matsui could and under most any manager would have been benched but torre maintains his confidence in him and he gets two hits, scores three runs and is on base four times. how he handles personalities of people is a skill that tends to fall under the radar many times.

and a year ago, lou pinella was the supposed replacement. after seeing how he botched game one with zambrano and saving him for a possible game four, i'd hate to have seen that happen if he managed the yankees and pulled Wang in a 1-1 game because he was saving him for a game that was not even guaranteed to happen.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • well, I'll admit I wanted Matsui out tonight. Game 2 too. Torre said he could break out any time, and I wondered if Torre had watched Games 1 & 2.
  • well, I'll admit I wanted Matsui out tonight. Game 2 too. Torre said he could break out any time, and I wondered if Torre had watched Games 1 & 2.

exactly my point, in this crazy environment that is the yankees, there is no one more suited to handle it with the demeanor and personality that torre has.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    you should have just listened to me in the Twins thread. Had you just listened to me in February, you could have had a lot more free time this summer. Check post # 18

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=230556&highlight=minnesota+twins

I already replied to the (now) infamous post #18.

That aint gonna do your Banditos Yanquis any good.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Regarding Joba, I heard some announcers saying that they thought Torre would put Joba in so that Joba could rebuild his confidence after what happened in game 2. They thought that Joba might have been nervous after what happened and that going out there and shutting the Indians down tonight would give him confidence to come in again if a bigger situation arose in the next game(s)
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Can't say that plan worked too well. Joba looked gassed in the 8th inning after getting the first two outs. Looks like Mo might have to go two innings tonight if it comes to that.
    Jw
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    so you think it is Paul Byrd who shall shovel the last of the dirt on The Yankees grave?
    why isnt CC pitching?

dont number one guys go game 1 and game 4? dumb move possibly for the indians.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • I HOPE YOU FUCKERS PULL THIS OUT!

Red Sox fans want the fucking Yankees, not the Indians. For the first time in my life, I am actually rooting for the Yankees.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I HOPE YOU FUCKERS PULL THIS OUT!

Red Sox fans want the fucking Yankees, not the Indians. For the first time in my life, I am actually rooting for the Yankees.

Famous last words of a Red Sox fan...
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I HOPE YOU FUCKERS PULL THIS OUT!

That's funny because for the first time in my life I was rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Angels...ok but maybe not a sweep, lol.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    evenkat wrote:
    That's funny because for the first time in my life I was rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Angels...ok but maybe not a sweep, lol.
    Exactly me too.

Still have two hard games against the indians to win, but we beat them 6 times during the season so we have done it before.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    why isnt CC pitching?

dont number one guys go game 1 and game 4? dumb move possibly for the indians.

Wedge said Saturday and reiterated it again yesterday that he does not want to bring Sabathia back on three days rest, especially after he threw 114 pitches in five innings in Game One.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    yosi wrote:
    Famous last words of a Red Sox fan...

Maybe ... but I remember in 04 when RSN was openly rooting for the Yankees to beat the Twins and that turned out pretty good. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Wedge said Saturday and reiterated it again yesterday that he does not want to bring Sabathia back on three days rest, especially after he threw 114 pitches in five innings in Game One.
    He is saving him for the off season.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    i'll throw down if you're rolling...
    twisted the whole pack..sorry man.Got u when I come up to NY. My roomate wants to come up to go to the Cowboys Giants game and I got a few people from here to get up with so Im sure theyre will be blunts going around for a while.
    everybody I met here knows...sticks coming thru? were gettn high!
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    well, of course there's a chance the game runs into the 10 O Clock hour, so I'm gonna have to put this grudge match into the calendar in pencil. Shall we make Tuesday, the off day in between Game 4 and Game 5, the "rain date"?
    you guys gonna have any girls between rounds to make it worth my while or what?
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...