2007 Yankees

Comments

• If he opts out, then the team has money to spend in other areas, and he can go waste away somewhere else. They did just fine before he got here, and will survive without him.

if he opts out, they'll get at least two high draft picks as compensation and will also have the money to sign about two or three hundred top-flight prospects (if only it all went to that :)).

and if anyone thinks those draft picks aren't important, the yankees drafted ian kennedy and joba chamberlain with picks they acquired when tom gordon signed with the phillies.

ian kennedy and joba chamberlain for tom gordon. that's a hell of a trade.

but right now i'm hoping that a-rod stays. he's much more of a team-oriented player now than he ever was is the past... and 2008 would be rough without him.

i picked a good game to go to tonight. hughes pitched great (drafted with houston's pick from when they signed pettitte :)) and damon probably avoided an offseason trade with tonight's performance. jeter and posada need to start hitting ASAP.

i can't blame clemens for wanting to take the ball in that situation. it looks like he's probably done for the postseason. so it may very well be hughes and kennedy starting in the ALCS if the yankees get that far.

i don't know why torre felt the need to burn joba for 38 pitches in a five-run game. i just don't understand. :confused:
  • if he opts out, they'll get at least two high draft picks as compensation and will also have the money to sign about two or three hundred top-flight prospects (if only it all went to that :)).

and if anyone thinks those draft picks aren't important, the yankees drafted ian kennedy and joba chamberlain with picks they acquired when tom gordon signed with the phillies.

but right now i'm hoping that a-rod stays. he's much more of a team-oriented player now than he ever was is the past... and 2008 would be rough without him.

i picked a good game to go to tonight. hughes pitched great (drafted with houston's pick from when they signed pettitte :)) and damon probably avoided an offseason trade with tonight's performance. jeter and posada need to start hitting ASAP.

i can't blame clemens for wanting to take the ball in that situation. it looks like he's probably done for the postseason. so it may very well be hughes and kennedy starting in the ALCS if the yankees get that far.

i don't know why torre felt the need to burn joba for 38 pitches in a five-run game. i just don't understand. :confused:

i would have let hughes start the seventh, but i'm not going to nit-pick over joba going 38 pitches, especially because there's no guarantee there's another game until the final out, especially if some of those other relievers like farnsworth pitch.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    this whole torre thing is stupid by big stein. he can do what he wants but to me torre can manage until he decides when he wants to go.

It's amazing a person the caliber of Torre, who has done so much in terms of charity, has the full backing of virtually every player that has ever played for him, anybody that has ever worked with him as a coach is fighting for his job.

All of this while a person like Isiah Thomas, who has been found guilty of sexual harrassment, has yet to win a playoff game and has never had a winning season can remain employed it's truly absurd.

anyway here's a bit of reality from torre:

"The only thing I try to do is allow my players to roll the dice out there and play, because every time we go to postseason there's nothing that's going to satisfy anybody unless you win the World Series. And that's very difficult. Those are very difficult situations for the players to play under. I understand the requirements here, but the players are human beings, and it's not machinery here. Even though they get paid a lot of money, it's still blood that runs through their veins. And my job is to try to get them to be the players they are by, you know, allowing them to understand that the best effort you can give is all you can do."
    george knew what he was doing...evry time he does that shit, everybody in the clubhouse gets tight and they rally around Joe. You heard Johhny Damon after the game. How you think Jeter felt when he heard that, and my boy still hasnt made a statement yet. And I have a feeling b4 the series is over he will. Dont worry ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    you mean like an internet tough guy who challenegs you to meet in a CVS parking lot so you can fight? Or the the internet tough guy who cries out "Stop, or I'll personally e-mail Kat?"
    hey are we still on for the cvs fight or what, haha
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• stickboy wrote:
    george knew what he was doing...evry time he does that shit, everybody in the clubhouse gets tight and they rally around Joe. You heard Johhny Damon after the game. How you think Jeter felt when he heard that, and my boy still hasnt made a statement yet. And I have a feeling b4 the series is over he will. Dont worry ;)

I was there when Jeter was asked about it and he kept it like he usually he does with his "We're trying to win games" mantra, which is something he has been saying for years.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • metsfan wrote:

ok that's it. The CVS on Deer Park Ave, 10 minutes. let's go.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    well, then, I don't know what to make of that. That's news to me. Has Steinbrenner had a miracle recovery? I do think that if George, or his minions, insist that ARod be signed after he opts out, then Cashman will resign. He felt very strongly about it. I can't see him going to Boras and saying: Yeah, forget that, lets talk deal. To read more about cashman's statements, check out these stories:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/20/cashman-to-a-rod-opt-out-and-youre-gone/

or here:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyinside215384234sep21,0,6598596.story

Cashman insists that any Rodriguez extension will take place before the opt-out date. The Rangers are paying more than $21 million of the money owed Rodriguez in the next three years, plus $9 million in deferred money, and the Yankees don't want to lose that.

"If we get a deal done with Alex, it will have to be before the opt-out date," Cashman said. "That's basic economics."

yea i know what he said. I've read and heard his interviews.
    I miss igotid88
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    stickboy wrote:
    Damon had a big game and if he hadn't defected from the Red Sox I would appreciate him a whole lot more. He's a great baseball player. Jeter is the shit, a natural athlete, a true player...

In any case: you guys got Westbrook tonight? He of the 6-9 record?
    I think by this time tomorrow night, reality will have finally set in on you Big Apple dreamers.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
    if he opts out, they'll get at least two high draft picks as compensation and will also have the money to sign about two or three hundred top-flight prospects (if only it all went to that :)).

also thanks the Angels for passing on Hughes for Jared Weaver. I also thought Hughes should've pitched the 7th.
    I miss igotid88
    metsfan wrote:
    pick me up a pack of dutches will ya?

and youre gonna fight west islip?..come on hes like my neighbor and youre my boy

cut it out, lol

lets go fuckin yankees tomorrow night!

x-man u know how jeter is. I thought he was gonna come thru tonite. DOnt be suprised if he bangs one out manana

and que barium-Im not even in ny and Im watching that game and when Johnny hit that I was like FINALLY! He did his thing..who's next to step up?
    i would have let hughes start the seventh, but i'm not going to nit-pick over joba going 38 pitches, especially because there's no guarantee there's another game until the final out, especially if some of those other relievers like farnsworth pitch.

makes you wonder why he wasn't the game 2 starter.
    I miss igotid88
  • gue_barium wrote:
    Damon had a big game and if he hadn't defected from the Red Sox I would appreciate him a whole lot more. He's a great baseball player. Jeter is the shit, a natural athlete, a true player...

In any case: you guys got Westbrook tonight? He of the 6-9 record?
    I think by this time tomorrow night, reality will have finally set in on you Big Apple dreamers.

so you think it is Paul Byrd who shall shovel the last of the dirt on The Yankees grave?
  • igotid88 wrote:
    makes you wonder why he wasn't the game 2 starter.

no, i would have gone with pettitte there. or are you saying pettitte game one, hughes game two and wang game three?
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    so you think it is Paul Byrd who shall shovel the last of the dirt on The Yankees grave?
    who we got pitching tomorrow any word yet or what?
  • stickboy wrote:
    pick me up a pack of dutches will ya?

and youre gonna fight west islip?..come on hes like my neighbor and youre my boy

cut it out, lol

lets go fuckin yankees tomorrow night!

x-man u know how jeter is. I thought he was gonna come thru tonite. DOnt be suprised if he bangs one out manana

and que barium-Im not even in ny and Im watching that game and when Johnny hit that I was like FINALLY! He did his thing..who's next to step up?

ahhh, we're just busting balls. He was going for the laugh, and I tried to follow up with a CVS on DPA joke, as there are like 3 CVSes on DPA. All in good fun. So, any way, what's this about Jeter banging Mariah?
  • stickboy wrote:
    who we got pitching tomorrow any word yet or what?

sounded in the postgame like wang is official. Great move
    jeters a pimp on the low come on now
    we all know that
    fuckin vanessa minllio or whatever her name is?
    Jordana Brewster?
    and it goes on...
    pimp!
  • no, i would have gone with pettitte there. or are you saying pettitte game one, hughes game two and wang game three?

If it were up to me, I would have gone Pettitte Game 1, Clemens game 2, with Mussina and/or Hughes behind him if needed, and Wang in game 3. I think it was a big mistake to ignore Wang's home/road ERA differential
  • it's definitely wang with mussina the first one to back up should wang not go long.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    no, i would have gone with pettitte there. or are you saying pettitte game one, hughes game two and wang game three?

yea pett, hughes , wang. or hughes then pettitte.
    I miss igotid88

No. I think it is Byrd who will kick the dirt on the mound a few times and have a say to the end of the Yankees 2007 season tomorrow night.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    If it were up to me, I would have gone Pettitte Game 1, Clemens game 2, with Mussina and/or Hughes behind him if needed, and Wang in game 3. I think it was a big mistake to ignore Wang's home/road ERA differential
    I think mussina can give us a good game at the stadium tomorrow. If we score and the bats wake up! maybe he can pitch with confidence
    sounded in the postgame like wang is official. Great move
    Wang is toast. The Tribe have his number.

Wang needs to go at least 7.
    I miss igotid88
  • it's definitely wang with mussina the first one to back up should wang not go long.

I think Wang will be great tomorrow. It's not like he threw a ton of pitches the other night. Did you hear Flaherty breaking down Wang tonight on the post game, about how his sinker should be even more effective on short rest, and how the long layoff between his last start and the Game 1 start made his arm basically too strong? flaherty's got a bright future ahead of him
  • hey, where's Allie tonight?
    stickboy wrote:
    jeters a pimp on the low come on now
    we all know that
    fuckin vanessa minllio or whatever her name is?
    Jordana Brewster?
    and it goes on...
    pimp!

I think he's a phenomenol baseball player/athlete. I love to watch him play.

• gue_barium wrote:

I hate to admit it, but after grounding into 2 double plays in the first 3 innings and making a throwing error that led to a run (even though it was scored a hit, c'mon it was an error) I joked aloud "What, does Jeter want Torre to get fired?"
    gue_barium wrote:
    well that too of course.
    I hate to admit it, but after grounding into 2 double plays in the first 3 innings and making a throwing error that led to a run (even though it was scored a hit, c'mon it was an error) I joked aloud "What, does Jeter want Torre to get fired?"
    hahahah, yea had me worried too, I was talkin shit down here with my friends. "we're comin out blazing.11-3 yankees!..joe aint goin nowhere and put your brooms up your asses"
    I almost called it :)